Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Passing on Luck to keep Peyton around for 3 more years will doom this franchise's future success.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Passing on Luck to keep Peyton around for 3 more years will doom this franchise's future success.
    No it will not. That raft of picks they will get for Luck will make them contenders for years to come. They can still get a QB to develop that will have just as much a chance of being a star as Luck. Parcells and Sims do not believe Luck has an NFL arm. I agree with them. He will have short term success but in the long run, RGIII and a couple of others will be just as good. His short term success will come from playing in a pro style set. The others will soon catch up with that.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    No it will not. That raft of picks they will get for Luck will make them contenders for years to come. They can still get a QB to develop that will have just as much a chance of being a star as Luck. Parcells and Sims do not believe Luck has an NFL arm. I agree with them. He will have short term success but in the long run, RGIII and a couple of others will be just as good. His short term success will come from playing in a pro style set. The others will soon catch up with that.
    I don't think that either way has a clear conclusion actually, picks can work out in some cases and in others not so much.

Also the difference with Luck is more than his experience with a pro-style offense, it is more about the intangibles that he has. I think realistically RGIII is the only QB in this draft that has a chance at being special other than Luck, but due to his frame teams have to take that into consideration with his future in the NFL.

One thing that I have noticed about Superbowl winning teams is that they either have a great QB, or a Great D and a good QB, personally I would rather take the chance with Luck this year than waiting around and hoping that we have the chance to draft a very good QB prospect again.
    Why so SERIOUS

^^PR, damage control for the inevitable release...similar to "Brandon Rush requested a trade" etc...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^^PR, damage control for the inevitable release...similar to "Brandon Rush requested a trade" etc...
    Yep Manning wants to play and no amount of $$$ Irsay throws at him will change that.

This is like the Packers trying to buy Favre to retire(except he did retire only to change his mind)

At least with Manning retirement had nothing to do with this impasse.

Colts are drafting Luck regardless. That's a given. Only way Peyton is here is if he takes an incentive laden contract after the Colts release him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Colts are drafting Luck regardless. That's a given. Only way Peyton is here is if he takes an incentive laden contract after the Colts release him.
    This makes the most sense. I suspect an incentive based contract will be given and we have a QB controversy in the fall.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This makes the most sense. I suspect an incentive based contract will be given and we have a QB controversy in the fall.
    That is why I think Irsay is really hoping that Manning just retires.

Lets say Peyton signs a two year deal that incentive based and he plays this year while Luck sits the bench learning like Palmer did. Then in year two Luck will be ready to step in and play, but we have Peyton still on the roster.

Are we really going to bench Peyton? Will we bench our first overall pick for another year? This is not like the Packers getting Rodgers at 28 and getting him cheap. Then what happens if Manning is playing at a high level still after year two?

I think Irsay is just stacking the deck against Manning to force him to walk away from the Colts so he does not have to deal all of this. He has made it pretty clear that he will not pay Peyton what he is due and wants a much shorter contract to just get through 2012.

Unless Manning is the definition of a team guy I do not see him back here especially if he is healthy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    That is why I think Irsay is really hoping that Manning just retires...

Unless Manning is the definition of a team guy I do not see him back here especially if he is healthy.
    The number one thing that Irsay wants is what every single owner in the league wants. And that is another crack at a championship.

He knows that he wants to set the team up for a possibility of a championship 3 years from now, 4 years from now and even 10 years from now. And that is precisely why the Colts will draft Luck.

However, if at all possible, Irsay wants a chance at a championship next season and the year after, if that is at all possible. And, if Manning proves to be healthy before September, if the Colts have an offense strong enough to overcome any defensive liabilities in Irsay's assessment, that is exactly why Irsay would choose to keep Manning and worry about the QB situation during next season and thereafter.

In Irsays world, it has almost nothing to do about a QB controversy. The only controversy will be in the opinions of the fans and the media. All Irsay will care about is the quickest route to keeping his team on top each and every year and his next championship.

As fans, would we have it any other way? Let everybody else care about the QB situation and how the time is split. All we care about is winning.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    The number one thing that Irsay wants is what every single owner in the league wants. And that is another crack at a championship.

He knows that he wants to set the team up for a possibility of a championship 3 years from now, 4 years from now and even 10 years from now. And that is precisely why the Colts will draft Luck.

However, if at all possible, Irsay wants a chance at a championship next season and the year after, if that is at all possible. And, if Manning proves to be healthy before September, if the Colts have an offense strong enough to overcome any defensive liabilities in Irsay's assessment, that is exactly why Irsay would choose to keep Manning and worry about the QB situation during next season and thereafter.

In Irsays world, it has almost nothing to do about a QB controversy. The only controversy will be in the opinions of the fans and the media. All Irsay will care about is the quickest route to keeping his team on top each and every year and his next championship.

As fans, would we have it any other way? Let everybody else care about the QB situation and how the time is split. All we care about is winning.
    It will possibly happen in ten years but not in three or four. There are too many holes that need to be filled and if you keep Luck, you cannot fill them. I see five years in the basement of the South while Peyton will be in the playoffs with someone trying to get to the SB in all of the next three or four years......

The recent silence on this topic in the media and from the participants leads me to believe the detailed discussions must be taking place finally.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Peyton's getting cut. I'll be stunned if he's not. Neither Grigson or Pagano have seen him throw. They each had pressers at the Combine and the gist of every answer was building a foundation and that kind of thing. Grigson was specifically asked about the salary cap situation and got a little smirk and said "we'll be in a lot better shape a year from now."

Quit stringing this thing along Irsay. It's a disservice to Pagano and Grigson to make them dodge questions about it every day when they pretty clearly IMO know the answer.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Peyton's getting cut. I'll be stunned if he's not. Neither Grigson or Pagano have seen him throw. They each had pressers at the Combine and the gist of every answer was building a foundation and that kind of thing. Grigson was specifically asked about the salary cap situation and got a little smirk and said "we'll be in a lot better shape a year from now."

Quit stringing this thing along Irsay. It's a disservice to Pagano and Grigson to make them dodge questions about it every day when they pretty clearly IMO know the answer.
    Maybe Peyton should request to take part in the combine so they can see him throw......

Yeah, their comments about not seeing him throw definitely caught my eye, if they are indeed telling the truth. If we were planning on keeping him then you would think that they would want the coach and GM of all people to see him throw.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are fibbing, though. If you admit that you've seen him throw then you're subjecting yourself to a million questions about how well he's throwing.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

We're supposed to believe that Manning is rehabing at the Colts facility but they haven't seen him throw? Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    We're supposed to believe that Manning is rehabing at the Colts facility but they haven't seen him throw? Yeah right.

Yeah, I think they're fibbing. If you admit that you've seen him throw then you subject yourself to a billion questions about how he's throwing. They didn't want to answer all of that yesterday. Sometimes it's just best to fib.

If they actually are telling the truth then that is very surprising given that they've been here for several weeks.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, I think they're fibbing. If you admit that you've seen him throw then you subject yourself to a billion questions about how he's throwing. They didn't want to answer all of that yesterday. Sometimes it's just best to fib.

If they actually are telling the truth then that is very surprising given that they've been here for several weeks.
    The last I heard, Manning was not working out in the Colts facility but was at Duke University and other sites.......

Well, it looks like they were indeed telling the truth when they said they hadn't seen him throw. This rule sounds a bit bizarre.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/25/colt...efore-march-8/

INDIANAPOLIS — Colts center Jeff Saturday was emphatic Saturday during NFL Network’s combine coverage that if the team really wants Peyton Manning, it should call the quarterback and schedule a throwing session to check his health.

The problem, the Colts told NFL Network’s Albert Breer, is that no team officials outside of medical personnel can watch Manning throw until April because of rules in the new collective bargaining agreement. Since Manning failed his exit physical after neck surgery, only trainers are permitted to observe him and can report back, but by rule can’t tape any workouts.

So owner Jim Irsay, general manager Ryan Grigson and coach Chuck Pagano won’t have a firsthand look at how Manning is performing before March 8, the deadline for the team to decide whether or not to pay him a $28 million roster bonus.

Saturday also said on NFL Network that Manning “absolutely” would play next season, adding, “I hope it’s here (in Indianapolis), but he’ll be playing somewhere.”

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

So the trainers can't tape it, but they can at least let you know if he can hit an out route to the opposite sideline route? Sure they're trainers, but they can at least tell you how noodly his arm is.

Whatever, it doesn't matter. Peyton's gone.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OlBlu, the more I read of your posts, the more I believe you're a blatant troll.

Give Luck a chance. Jesus man.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    OlBlu, the more I read of your posts, the more I believe you're a blatant troll.

Give Luck a chance. Jesus man.
    He gets no chance with me. I have been a Colts fan (I used to live in Indy) since Johnny U played in Baltimore..... I will be watching Peyton wherever he plays. Perhaps I will come back to the Colts when he retires.... I know they will be basement dwellers for years taking this approach. Hell, Garcon turned down their five year offer. They only have Collie and Blair White signed up for next year. Good luck with all of that. Why does everyone start calling you a troll when they disagree with you? Does that make you a troll since you disagree with me? I don't think it does.....

He gets no chance with me. I have been a Colts fan (I used to live in Indy) since Johnny U played in Baltimore..... I will be watching Peyton wherever he plays. Perhaps I will come back to the Colts when he retires.... I know they will be basement dwellers for years taking this approach. Hell, Garcon turned down their five year offer. They only have Collie and Blair White signed up for next year. Good luck with all of that. Why does everyone start calling you a troll when they disagree with you? Does that make you a troll since you disagree with me? I don't think it does.....
    So you are a manning fan and not a colts fan?

Why does Luck get no chance with you? If you were truly a Colts fan, then you wouldn't be writing off players before they get a chance to play. Did he **** in your wheaties?

As far as we know, Manning still isn't a sure thing to even be playing next year. Even if we don't take Luck, Colts still need to be looking for a starting QB because it's at best 50/50 that manning can play next year at the level that we would expect.
    Last edited by Swingman; 02-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    So you are a manning fan and not a colts fan?

Why does Luck get no chance with you? If you were truly a Colts fan, then you wouldn't be writing off players before they get a chance to play. Did he **** in your wheaties?

As far as we know, Manning still isn't a sure thing to even be playing next year. Even if we don't take Luck, Colts still need to be looking for a starting QB because it's at best 50/50 that manning can play next year at the level that we would expect.
    It is 100% that Manning will play this coming year. I am a Colts fan and I want to see them rebuild and keep winning. With Luck they lose for years to come while Manning will be going to playoffs with another team. There will be no shortage of offers to Peyton. I think the team should be more loyal to Peyton for all he has already done while Luck hasn't done squat and may never do anything. St. Louis is going to make out like a bandit trading the right to RGIII. If we were smart, we would do the same and take a QB later in the first or the early second round. The odds of success with that are just as good PLUS you have filled some holes at other positions where the risk is not so great. The Patriots never see any need to get the first rated QB but they are geared to winning every year and not going on five year rebuilding programs.......

It is 100% that Manning will play this coming year. I am a Colts fan and I want to see them rebuild and keep winning. With Luck they lose for years to come while Manning will be going to playoffs with another team. There will be no shortage of offers to Peyton. I think the team should be more loyal to Peyton for all he has already done while Luck hasn't done squat and may never do anything. St. Louis is going to make out like a bandit trading the right to RGIII. If we were smart, we would do the same and take a QB later in the first or the early second round. The odds of success with that are just as good PLUS you have filled some holes at other positions where the risk is not so great. The Patriots never see any need to get the first rated QB but they are geared to winning every year and not going on five year rebuilding programs.......
    Manning may play next season (not 100%) but highly unlikely he'd play at the level needed to lead a team anywhere. Given the squad the Colts will likely field, it would take more than just Manning in his prime to get this team anywhere. And Manning won't be anywhere near his prime based on reports and the fact he is getting old. So even IF Manning walks out on that field (and that's a big IF), he isn't going to be what he once was.

Colts are going to have some down years regardless of who is behind center. If we don't bring in a good QB soon (Luck or otherwise), those down years are going be followed by even more down years.

Unless some team is willing to overpay for the #1 pick (not a sure thing), then you take Luck or Griffin and build around them.
    Last edited by Swingman; 02-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.