Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pacers/Nets postgame thread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Nets postgame thread.

The thing I liked seeing in tonight's game was Roy Hibbert running back to defend the paint after defending the pick and roll. The thing that I didn't like seeing, and actually made me cringe, was AJ Price and Dahntay Jones on the floor at the same time. The ball never left their side of the floor on offense.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to think the same thing but I've seen the Bulls team beat teams without Rose or Deng, we are like a poor version of them.
    Well, technically we're winning without Rose as well

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread Replies: 40
    Pacers/Cavaliers Postgame Thread Replies: 450

something is wrong with this.
    This board loves to overreact. A bad losing streak will disappoint a lot of people and make them think that the sky is falling. Conversely, when you emphatically beat a quality team people will rave a lot. The interesting thing is that large losing streaks and impressive wins steer some good discussion so the posts keep coming and the thread goes on.

About today there's not a lot to be said. We won a struggling team. We won ugly. Not a lot will rave about it and no one can complain about winning either. So, there's no room for overreaction. Hence, the small amount of posts

It was a good win, though. We needed this badly. Our defense was better and we showed effort tonight. Hope that it serves as the start of a winning streak. We need this streak as we need to erase the losing streak we had. Tonight was a good first step. Let's see how we continue

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This board loves to overreact.
    Every high traffic board loves to overreact regardless of the team or sport.

What do we have to do to ensure getting this Paul George every night?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    The thing I liked seeing in tonight's game was Roy Hibbert running back to defend the paint after defending the pick and roll. The thing that I didn't like seeing, and actually made me cringe, was AJ Price and Dahntay Jones on the floor at the same time. The ball never left their side of the floor on offense.
    Exactly. I remember saying out loud, "damn will they ever pass PG the ball?".

Paul George is such a good defender. He's like Tony Allen, great defensive instincts and long arms, while being really quick and athletic. Just like Allen did, he's shutting Deron down, and not letting him get free.

got that from a nets fan.

some more.

I would love to get George on the Nets. Id even trade Lopez for George because the kid is that good, complete stud and play him as a SF

You should be fined for saying dumb **** like that lol

Meh, the kid is special I agree with him

He can be really good, I think his only problem is the fact that he's not aggressive all the time but he's got crazy talent for sure
    Last edited by picasso; 02-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.

By me ^^

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I think PG will always bring it on D. I really feel that we need to improve on getting him the ball in good spots on the floor. Because of the point guards inability to put people in a good position to score, PG and West IMO are being brutally under utilized.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Banned

Danny Granger having an above average game seems to help. Feels like Paul has very good overall games when Danny or someone else is feeling it and he plays off them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    I think PG will always bring it on D. I really feel that we need to improve on getting him the ball in good spots on the floor. Because of the point guards inability to put people in a good position to score, PG and West IMO are being brutally under utilized.
    Over the 5 game losing streak (maybe it will be the opposite of the fabled 5 game winning streak a few years ago), PG's defense was putrid. His effort was nowhere to be found. Maybe he was just gassed who knows

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

I wonder if PG focuses more on "stars?"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Over the 5 game losing streak (maybe it will be the opposite of the fabled 5 game winning streak a few years ago), PG's defense was putrid. His effort was nowhere to be found. Maybe he was just gassed who knows
    The whole teams D really fell off a cliff over the streak but in charge that to tired legs. Especially the Memphis game. But over the long haul, PG will be our Mr Everything. When he has a big game, he has A BIG GAME.

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    I hated that. Paul George became the 5th option with that lineup.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    Every high traffic board loves to overreact regardless of the team or sport.
    I never said other boards don't

But I do know of some boards in my country which are not team specific that do not overreact. Of course, you could easily argue that they are not high traffic. Regardless, you do have a point there.

Mood

be patient...as hard as that is we got to keep in mind how young and raw he still is.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

Could be the start of righting the ship. Only time will tell. Nice to get a win, but yet another slow start. That has to be overcome if want to compete with good teams.

Some good individual performances and we found some intensity after about a quarter. Good signs, but still need to recover the cohesion/unity of play we showed early in the year.

Still open to a move that brings us an upgrade at PG, an athletic big, or a scorer. Resounding YES to the observations about D West's defensive inability. Between he and DC, and potentially Roy if they P n R him to death, defensive issues may well persist. They weren't exactly dispelled last night.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread Replies: 40
    Pacers/Cavaliers Postgame Thread Replies: 450

something is wrong with this.
    Nothing wrong. Just human nature.

Find me a newspaper with the headline: "The world is great and healthy."

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

When Paul made that out of bounds play and knocked it off DWill's foot, that was a thing of beauty.

He just has some innate skills: defense, stealing the ball, playing the passing lane, good court vision. We're still waiting for the alpha side and a killer instinct, but he's only 21. He has all the tools to be really great.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

It was a win with some good individual play. Hopefully, the ending of the downward spiral.

The schedule next week looks pretty good. Hopefully they can go into the all-star brealk on a little winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    When Paul made that out of bounds play and knocked it off DWill's foot, that was a thing of beauty.

He just has some innate skills: defense, stealing the ball, playing the passing lane, good court vision. We're still waiting for the alpha side and a killer instinct, but he's only 21. He has all the tools to be really great.
    1st team all defensive player in 5 years. He causes so many problems. That was Deron Williams he was not only shutting down, but taking his passes almost like they were meant for him. Paul was locked in last night. Loved him hitting the floor for that jump ball too.

His defense was just as important as Danny's offense last night.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 02-17-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    1st team all defensive player in 5 years. He causes so many problems. That was Darren Williams he was not only shutting down, but taking his passes almost like they were meant for him. Paul was locked in last night. Loved him hitting the floor for that jump ball too.

His defense was just as important as Danny's offense last night.
    Unless he suffers the same defensive identity crisis that Granger did early in his career, there is no reason it should take Paul 5 years to reach that level.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I wonder if PG focuses more on "stars?"
    PG seems to have good defensive nights when he's matched up against score-first point guards (D. Will, Rose, etc.) that mostly play a one-on-one game.

It seems he struggles the most when he is guarding mobile shooting guards (ray allen, etc.) that run off a lot of screens.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 02-17-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    PG seems to have good defensive nights when he's matched up against score-first point guards (D. Will, Rose, etc.) that mostly play a one-on-one game.

It seems he struggles the most when he is guarding mobile shooting guards (ray allen, etc.) that run off a lot of screens.
    imo, it has more to do with his defensive assignment than anything else.

paul's a much better 1 on 1 defender than a team defender. when he is assigned to one guy, he can concentrate on that guy.

when he is in the regular defense, he has to help out inside, block shots, rebound, and sometime gets caught inside as a result. the same thing happens to danny for the same reason. danny and paul are being used to cover the lack of size in the frontcourt. that gets them in trouble on the perimeter. no bodies fault really, just a weakness of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Unless he suffers the same defensive identity crisis that Granger did early in his career, there is no reason it should take Paul 5 years to reach that level.
    Yeah the only reason I said 5 years was because hopefully by then Kobe's retired. He takes up a spot every year it seems. I can see Paul being a better defender than Kobe in the next couple years though.