Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pacers can't let this happen (Heat hope to land Kaman)

Sports Logo

Default Re: The Pacers can't let this happen (Heat hope to land Kaman)

Well, he's back on the market....like he ever was off the market.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...enter_kam.html

Since center Chris Kaman’s reemergence in the Hornets’ starting lineup, trade inquires are picking up from teams interested in acquiring the eight-year veteran, league sources said Thursday.

Chris Kaman, right, has had a double-double in the past two games: 27 points and 13 rebounds against Utah on Monday, and 18 and 10 against Milwaukee on Tuesday, both victories for the Hornets. The Hornets took Kaman off the trade market Feb. 3 and allowed him to rejoin the team after they were not able to obtain what they were seeking in a deal. New Orleans wants young talent and expiring contracts.

With the March 15 trade deadline looming, however, sources say the Hornets are again open to trading Kaman, 7 feet, 265 pounds, if they can find an attractive deal.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future or what’s going to happen in the next five days,’’ Kaman said. “I don’t know if there will be a trade or won’t be one. I just play and try not to worry about it, but it does stress me out a little bit. I go home at night and have some rough nights sleeping once in awhile thinking about it, but it’s out of my control. “I think I’ve shown for eight years what I’m capable of doing.’’

Kaman is averaging 10.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game.

Foxsports.com reported Thursday that Miami is among the teams interested in acquiring Kaman. But league sources said the Heat has not approached the Hornets.

The Hornets deactivated Kaman last month when they actively sought to trade him, and held him out for six games.

“Every day that I was away from the team, I was working out at the Alario Center,’’ Kaman said. “I had Eric Gordon’s workout guy helping me out, and I was working out with another buddy of mine from Houston. I was just trying to get myself in better shape, because I came in this season not in shape.’’
    Kaman has had a double-double in the past two games: 27 points and 13 rebounds against Utah on Monday, and 18 and 10 against Milwaukee on Tuesday, both victories.

Kaman, who will be 30 in April, was acquired with Gordon, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and the Minnesota Timberwolves’ 2012 first-round pick from the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

A 2010 All-Star, Kaman is scheduled to make $14 million (which is prorated for
    the lockout-shortened 66-game schedule) this season, the final year of his contract.
    If the Hornets/NBA has backed off of their preference to not take on ANY salary ( even if it's Expiring ), then this could eliminate the Pacers from the equation. But I'm still guessing that the Pacers can get involved somehow....as many have suggested...as a 3rd party.

As a rental that doesn't cost too much ( as in anything more than a 2nd round pick ), I'm okay with having him for the rest of the season. But at the cost of a 1st round pick...I'd pass. I'd rather be involved as the "Trois" in this "Menage".
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-17-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as Bird would put up a standing offer to absorb Kaman's contract, I'm sure that would be preferable to Stern over buying him out with the leagues money. Bird can't stand buy to let Heat get stronger if we had the chance to get better while giving up almost nothing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/M...s-trade-021512
    Source: Heat hoping to land Kaman

It wonít be easy for that to happen. But the Heat are trying.

Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
    The thinking is the Heatís best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman ó if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline. . .
    please correct me if i am in error.

but i don't think the pacers have to worry about this. doesn't kaman have to go through waivers as part of the 'cut' process. at that point, the pacers can claim him [and his salary cap number], thus preventing the heat from getting him. iirc, the pacers are the only team that can do this as they can absorb kaman cap number.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post

but i don't think the pacers have to worry about this. doesn't kaman have to go through waivers as part of the 'cut' process. at that point, the pacers can claim him [and his salary cap number], thus preventing the heat from getting him. iirc, the pacers are the only team that can do this as they can absorb kaman cap number.
    Actually, I think you're right and good point.
    In the event he is bought out we could, and should do that.
    I'd still rather see the Pacers put that offer on the table up front. N.O. might not be tempted by another offer of a 1st. and a bad contract if they knew they could save his entire salary.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

You are correct!
    It's a 48 hour waiver wire, if not claimed within that 48 hours then player can go where they want.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

That only applies if a player is Amnestied. Kaman's contract would be bought out, so anyone could sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    That only applies if a player is Amnestied. Kaman's contract would be bought out, so anyone could sign him.
    I think any player that's waived has to clear waivers before he can choose his own team. It gives teams under the cap a chance to pick up a player if they want to take on his salary. If Kaman is bought out for slightly less then his contract it would be so they could then waive him. I don't know what happens if more then 1 team is willing to take on a players salary. It almost never happens that a player is picked up in this manner but I think it might in Kamans case. I think the Pacers are the only team that could do it.