Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pacers can't let this happen (Heat hope to land Kaman)

Default The Pacers can't let this happen (Heat hope to land Kaman)

As long as Bird would put up a standing offer to absorb Kaman's contract, I'm sure that would be preferable to Stern over buying him out with the leagues money. Bird can't stand buy to let Heat get stronger if we had the chance to get better while giving up almost nothing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/M...s-trade-021512
    Source: Heat hoping to land Kaman

It wonít be easy for that to happen. But the Heat are trying.

Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
    The thinking is the Heatís best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman ó if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.
    The Hornets recently sent Kaman away from the team for seven games in an effort to trade him. When that was unsuccessful, he was brought back.
    Now, apparently, the belief is that the 7-foot Kaman, who is making $14 million in the final year of his contract, could be bought out if the Hornets end up failing to get a deal they want for him. Kaman, acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers last December in the trade for Chris Paul, has played in three of the Hornetsí past four games. He totaled 27 points and 13 rebounds Monday in an 86-80 win over Utah.
    In other news involving NBA big men, a source said Wednesday that Minnesota continues to pursue a possible trade for Lakers forward Pau Gasol, dangling rookie Derrick Williams, who is from the Los Angeles area, and draft choices. The only players considered untouchable by the Timberwolves, who are seeking to add a veteran by the trade deadline, are Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio. The Timberwolves believe it could be enticing for Gasol to play on the same team as fellow Spaniard Rubio.
    As recently as two years ago, Kaman had joined Gasol in the NBA All-Star Game. That was during a season in which Kaman averaged a career-high 18.5 points and 9.3 rebounds.
    Kaman slipped to 12.4 points and 7.0 rebounds last season while playing just 32 games because of injuries. Heís averaging 10.5 and 7.4 in 20 games this season.
    But Kaman is said to be just what the Heat, who start undersized Joel Anthony at center, need. The Heat cannot talk directly with Kaman because that would constitute tampering
    ďIf they could get him, that would solidify the championship,íí said the source who spoke about Miamiís interest in Kaman. The source believes there is no realistic chance the Heat could trade for Kaman by March 15 because they donít have the right pieces.Tony Parker is biting at the heels of our other top 10 MVP candidates.
    In order to carve out a roster spot by getting one under the maximum of 15 players, the Heat on Feb. 7 waived rookie center Mickell Gladness just before contracts were to become guaranteed for the season. But Gladness was brought back on a 10-day contract Sunday, indicating the Heat remain uncertain what they might do with that final roster spot.
    The Heat have looked at 7-1 free-agent center Joel Przybilla, who finished last season with Charlotte and has been battling knee injuries for several years. For now, Przybilla has been said to still not be fully healthy, and some teams have backed off. Chicago also has been looking at Przybilla.
    Acquiring Kaman on a minimum deal would be the ultimate coup for the Heat. But there are plenty of issues that would have to be worked out.
    The Hornets obviously would like to get some pieces for him. Even if he becomes a free agent next summer, the Hornets still could have the option of dealing him in a sign-and-trade to a team under the luxury-tax threshold and getting something in return. And since the Hornets are owned by the NBA, there would be plenty of barking around the league if Kaman were bought out and then joined the Heat.We rank all 30 NBA teams from the best to the worst.
    Of course, it could come down to what a buyout number might be. Guard Mike Bibby gave up a $6.2 million contract for this season last February to be let go by Washington and have the chance to join the Heat.
    If Kaman canít be traded, he would have to decide if heís willing to give up his Bird free-agent rights. Those would be lost if heís bought out, and that could cost him some money next summer in free agency.
    Of course, the opportunity to win a championship could be more important to Kaman than taking a salary hit. The source also didnít rule out Kaman considering the Heat, even for lesser money, if he doesnít become a free agent until next summer.

Default Re: The Pacers can't let this happen (Heat hope to land Kaman)

There's absolutely no reason for them to buy him out when we'll take him w/o any salary going back, and that's w/o even considering them being NBA owned. Good luck Miami. Imagine the stink Cuban'd raise.

Banned

Yeah the league is not that stupid to cut Kaman so he can go to Miami, I'm not worry about it.

And also if they wanted to cut Kaman the best way to save money is to send him here so they don't have to pay him anything, by cutting him they would have to pay part of his salary not matter what.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Heat do not need Kaman to solidify a ring. They need to play like they are now in the playoffs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Technically, if you read the article....this is based on the assumption that if Kaman is bought out...that ANY Team...not only the Heat...will have the chance of signing Kaman to a short deal. Of course, the Heat have the leg up when it comes to having the best chance to win a Champioinship....but as Heisenberg suggested....no Team Owner not living in Miami...would allow for Kaman to be bought out.

Why buy out a Player ( since he'd be paid...one way or another ) while giving him the chance to go to one of the SuperTeams?

If the Hornets were WAY over the LT...then I can see it happening, just to avoid paying the LT.....but they aren't...so there is no real benefit to buying Kaman out. Even if the Hornets decided to not buy him out, let him sit at home for the next 3 months and Kaman and his Agent gets upset...what's he going to do? Get p*ssed off and not sign with the Hornets next season?

Either way, I don't see this as any real reason to buy him out....makes little sense. For the 20 or so other Billionaires ( that don't own a SuperTeam or belong in a huge Market ) that are part Owners of the Hornets....if I were them...I'd just eat the $14 mil ( which is chump change when split among the the Billionaire Owners ) he's owed rather then gift wrap Kaman to one of the Big Market or Super Teams.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

That would be total ****.

I thought the new CBA had a new rule about this. Don't the bottom feeder teams get first dibs?

Pacers could really use this guy.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

If the Hornets want to get rid of him so badly, send over 2 second round picks for the guy. That's how Kahn got Beasley.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I thought the new CBA had a new rule about this. Don't the bottom feeder teams get first dibs?

That rule only applied to players waived via amnesty. They should have made it apply to any player bought out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Even if he is cut, the Pacers can still greatly outbid the Heat.

Obviously, it assumes that he'll follow the money and not the ring.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I personally dont want us to spend our entire 14M on Kaman, even if it is a rental

We need a PG/SG much more than a center
    Last edited by 90'sNBARocked; 02-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    Sittin on top of the world!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Mood

If the Hornets want to get rid of him so badly, send over 2 second round picks for the guy. That's how Kahn got Beasley.
    The Heat wanted to dump salary to get the three headed doucemonster. I don't see the Hornets trying to pull that off. They want more or it would have already been done by 5-8 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post

Ya never know I guess, but Kaman really does strike me as a lot more of a central Indiana guy than a South Beach guy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I personally dont want us to spend our entire 14M on Kaman, even if it is a rental

We need a PG?SG much more than a center
    Point guard, preferably a starting point should be our top need (but probably not something we can get this year). I think Lance will grow into the backup SG (I mean, he did hit a 3 yesterday!), but a backup shooting guard is something we need since we can't wait for Lance.

Backup C is still an issue with Foster's back. I'm not a fan of Lou.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The Heat wanted to dump salary to get the three headed doucemonster. I don't see the Hornets trying to pull that off. They want more or it would have already been done by 5-8 teams.
    I think we're the only team that's able to do that. No other team has the cap space.
    They do want more for Kaman but even if they get a better offer any other team will have to send back salary for what's likely a bad contract. In the end I'm hoping our ability to absorb Kamans contract is their best offer.

Sports Logo

I know that we need him.....maybe it's the night of heavy drinking ( j/k ), the utter sense of hopelessness or realization that the Basketball gods just hate Pacers fans.... but my gut feeling is that Kaman isn't coming here.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think the Pacers' best role in a Kaman trade would be as a third team facilitator.

So New Orleans would send Kaman to one team and that team would send assets to the Pacers. The Pacers and/or the other team sends picks to NO. New Orleans still gets the cap space they want and a pick to make it worth their while (as opposed to getting the capspace by just letting Kaman expire).
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

I would think overlord Stern, after blocking that CP3 deal, would never allow Kaman to go to a "big market team".

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post

We could offer more money but it wouldn't matter. Kaman if he is cut only gets the 14mil on his contract, we would just be saving the hornets money as compared to if he signed with the heat. So if he was cut he'd likely sign with the team most likely to showcase his skills or be in a position to win a title, ie. The heat.

But I agree with everyone else, it makes no sense for stern to let them buy him out

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    I think the Pacers' best role in a Kaman trade would be as a third team facilitator.

So New Orleans would send Kaman to one team and that team would send assets to the Pacers. The Pacers and/or the other team sends picks to NO. New Orleans still gets the cap space they want and a pick to make it worth their while (as opposed to getting the capspace by just letting Kaman expire).
    If we were to go with the safe route....I'd be happy with getting Jordan Hill, a 2nd round pick and Courtney Lee ( both are Expiring where they would be RFAs ) while sending Kaman to the Rockets.

If we really want to get risky...see if Kevin Martin ( 2 years owed $24 mil / ~$12 mil a year ) and Jordan Hill could be had for Kaman while sending back a Pacer's 1st to NOLA. Kevin Martin's a great scorer, shooter, get's to the line and has been in McHale's doghouse as of late ( maybe he could be had? )......but his defense is worst then Murphy's. .
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-16-2012 at 03:03 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I think we're the only team that's able to do that. No other team has the cap space.
    They do want more for Kaman but even if they get a better offer any other team will have to send back salary for what's likely a bad contract. In the end I'm hoping our ability to absorb Kamans contract is their best offer.
    They are already paying him. And if we get him and send no money back they would save 8 million. And if we don't sign anyone we send the league 2.7 million. So I really do not think it is about saving money. He is off the books this year. And I have news for you, no one is going to buy this team this year. If they do it will be at the end of the season.

And if they do buy this team, have Kaman on the books is not going to detract them more than...lets say....being in New Orleans.

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ya never know I guess, but Kaman really does strike me as a lot more of a central Indiana guy than a South Beach guy.
    you cant hunt deer in South Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    I would think overlord Stern, after blocking that CP3 deal, would never allow Kaman to go to a "big market team".
    You know the Clippers are in LA right, that market is about the size of LA.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a bit torn on Kaman. On one hand, our embarrassing slump makes it clear that we're not as good as it once appeared, and bringing in a talent like Kaman would be a huge boost.

On the other, the fact that we continue to stink it up means our 1st round pick continues to increase in value, making it even more difficult to give up for someone who will likely be a half-a-season rental.

At this point, I'd almost rather give up Tyler than our pick.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I'm a bit torn on Kaman. On one hand, our embarrassing slump makes it clear that we're not as good as it once appeared, and bringing in a talent like Kaman would be a huge boost.

On the other, the fact that we continue to stink it up means our 1st round pick continues to increase in value, making it even more difficult to give up for someone who will likely be a half-a-season rental.

At this point, I'd almost rather give up Tyler than our pick.
    I simply wouldn't give up the pick for any player that was only under contract until the end of this season. The 2 that might be available right now are Nash and Kaman but I don't see any reason in doing that when both players can be had for nothing this summer. If it it means we lose more games this year I'd rather live with that. We'd be stronger next year with our pick and Kaman after we sign him as a free agent.

You want people to think the NBA is rigged, David? Trade Kaman to the heat....