Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul George to the dunk contest

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George to the dunk contest

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Wells just said on Twitter that Paul is trying to get Larry Bird to take part in the competition with him! This may be the only way for him to win in this ridiculous new format.
    Only if Paul lets Larry dunk over him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Meh... I was happy for Pacers players to have a chance to participate in All Star weekend when things were good but now that the team is slumping I'd prefer these guys not get anywhere near it.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't really know how creative he is, but Chase Budinger can JUMP. He's far from "just some white guy."
    Yeah i'm pretty sure he has a long term standing contract with the clorox company. It's a well known fact that the way bleach is made is they just let Chase Budinger stand in a pool of water for a while.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

J7F

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Wells just said on Twitter that Paul is trying to get Larry Bird to take part in the competition with him! This may be the only way for him to win in this ridiculous new format.
    Larry walks out in one of those slick Pacers retro warmup jackets, asks each of the other dunk contestants who's finishing second to PG, lobs a no look behind him to a streaking Paul George who thunders it home. Yeah that might win it.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    If it was just New York, it would have been lopsided enough. Sadly, he is going up against New York, the Asian population, and every kid 10 year old and younger. In the words of Vince Carter: Its ova.
    Then, in the words of Vince Carter's dunks, Paul's gonna have to bring his A+ game.

I know, that doesn't make sense.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I'm actually glad Paul is in the dunk contest. Have we ever seen a Pacer in it? Hope my memory's not going on me.

With that said, I think the team should take turns in the dunk tank the way they've been stanking.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah your memory is going. Fred Jones won it with the dunk shown earlier in this thread.

A quick trip to Wikipedia reveals that Jon Bender, Kenny Williams, and Terrance Stansbury also participated as Pacers. I remembered Bender, but completely forgot about Williams and Stansbury.
    Last edited by travmil; 02-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I'm actually glad Paul is in the dunk contest. Have we ever seen a Pacer in it? Hope my memory's not going on me.

With that said, I think the team should take turns in the dunk tank the way they've been stanking.
    Freddie Jones in 2004! Terence Stansbury in 1985-87!

Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yeah your memory is going. Fred Jones won it with the dunk shown earlier in this thread.

A quick trip to Wikipedia reveals that Jon Bender, Kenny Williams, and Terrance Stansbury also participated as Pacers. I remembered Bender, but completely forgot about Williams and Stansbury.
    Oh well. I suppose part of this is because I'm trying to forget those guys...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Is it just me or is Paul George a very "graceful" dunker? I mean, he doesn't explode on his dunks. Paul George kinda "floats" to the basket on his dunks. As a side note, the man has good body control in the air.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Hmmmm...I would pay to see Larry Bird dunk at his old age. This alone is worth the price of admission. I hope that Larry Bird is a good sport and goes along with it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unhappy Re: Paul George to the dunk contest

Hey hes still the best passer on the Pacers lol

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Paul said he was gonna have a big announcement in ten minutes about 35 minutes ago on twitter. Anyone know what it was?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The only hope that George has at all would be to enlist Yao Ming to assist him in dunking. Even if Yoa just handed him the ball (not even throw it) this would give him a better chance than he has now.

Fan voting via social media is just beyond idiotic.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    The following is a write-up I just posted on Postgame Online for the contest. Take a look at some of these guys' "best dunks", evaluate their skills, and tell me what you think. Also included Team Flight Brothers' "19 Dunks You Haven't Seen in the NBA Dunk Contest" to add some perspective on how Paul could easily take this contest himself. Thanks for reading.

=========

It took some online viral campaigning and marketing, as well as some flashes of dunk genius from the King himself, but when the NBA announced the participants of the 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest today, Paul George (AKA 2Much4You) had officially been named, as well as Houston Rockets' Chase Budinger, Minnesota Timberwolves' rookie Derrick Williams, and New York Knicks' rookie Iman Shumpert (his dunk 'assistant', Jeremy Lin, was also named/hyped).

So let us start with examples of each competitor's skill set.

Chase Budinger was the runner-up (to Gerald Henderson) in the McDonald's All-American High School dunk contest in 2006. His dunks consisted of a one-handed tomahawk (lame), a windmill at full extension (game dunk these days), and a reverse rider underneath the basket (not bad).

As far as Derrick Williams goes, he has the skill and athleticism to participate, as well as some creativity. But I don't think he has anything in his repertoire that will shock the fans and judges. Below, Williams makes a sweet two-handed 360 on the fast break during his time at Arizona. During a pre-season open practice, he throws down a few nice windmills, including one off the side of the backboard, but nothing I wouldn't consider to be "in-game dunks". In the last video, Williams kills a few windmills and pump 360's that could be pretty-looking in the contest. The question is: does he have the creativity to go beyond what has already been seen, and provide excitement on his dunks?

Iman Shumpert is going to be the favorite to win the dunk contest, specifically because the NBA botched the judging process by allowing online, text, and Twitter voting. So #Linsanity will take over the dunk contest simply because he is the Nash to Shumpert's 2006 Stoudemire. However, Shumpert has the best chance (besides Paul George) to win this contest based on talent alone. In these highlights from the Impact Basketball lockout league from this past offseason, Shumpert shows off his crazy jumping ability, and his skillful creativity when dunking. This guy has a shot.

But when it comes down to it, the Postgame Online favorite to win the 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest is the Indiana Pacers' Paul "King" George, AKA 2Much4You. Of the other players in the contest, he's the only one who's performed more than a one- or two-handed dunk in an NBA game, having put down several alley-oops and, of course, his sick reverse against the New Jersey Nets. Besides that, look at some of the other creative dunks he's performed in front of a camera, and see what you think, compared to the evidence given for the other contestants.

If you aren't excited for this dunk contest, whether your team has someone in the contest or not, then you better get your head out of your ***. If nothing else, Derrick Williams will be exciting, and Shumpert and George are going to light up the contest. I have a few ideas of my own, and wish I could give the suggestions to Paul George, but until then, I'll let my good friends over at Team Flight Brothers show you 19 dunks that have never been done in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest (besides Werm's "Lob Scoop Reverse", which DeMar DeRozan DESTROYED last year, calling it the "Showstopper").

I would personally pick Special FX's behind-the-back 360, Young Hollywood's out-the-hand windmill elbow dunk, Air Bama's elbow alley-oop OVER someone, any dunk involving JusFly's cartwheel (windmill, between the legs, etc.), JusFly's under both legs (with or without the Dubble Up), and especially TDub's 540 reverse windmill, "Dubble Up" (out-the-hand between-the-legs OVER someone), or "Dubble Up X" (out-the-hand reverse pump over someone).

This year, the Slam Dunk Contest changes formats, switching to only one round (instead of two), allowing three dunks per contestant, and, for the first time, letting the fans completely decide the winner through online, text, and Twitter voting. Unfortunately, this means that Shumpert will probably have the advantage (unfairly) due to #Linsanity taking over the NBA (and the world), thus causing multi-texts and -tweets to come in voting just for Lin. However, if Paul George puled off ANY three of the dunks listed above, he'd earn 50's from a regularly-judging crowd.

Also, I'd like to see a Vince Carter-styled one-handed 360 elbow dunk, a reverse 360 between the legs (as he did in the workout video above), or something we truly have never seen before.

I'm excited to hear that the Indiana Pacers finally have a representative in the dunk contest, for the first time since (my then-favorite Pacer) Fred Jones won in 2004. To close this post, let's take a look at Freddie's perfect winning dunk from eight years ago, that pushed him to beat Jason Richardson: an off-the-bounce, full-extension 360 jam.

A ton of luck to Paul George as he and the Pacers move forward in the next few games before the All-Star break, and much luck to him during the "Rising Stars" game and the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Thanks for reading, and have a great day.
    u must watch some pretty awesome games, seeing as how ONE of those were "in game dunks" yet in ur mind they were all pretty lame except for THE HIGH FLYING, RIM GLIDING, LIMO RIDIN SON OF A GUN, Paul George
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Robertmto For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Paul said he was gonna have a big announcement in ten minutes about 35 minutes ago on twitter. Anyone know what it was?
    He was on FSR tonight with Rob Dibble luckily that is a show I listen to sometimes and said he wants people to tweet him ideas for his 3rd dunk and they can even name the dunk. He will pick the best one. He also said he already has his 1st 2 dunks already planed and is working on them also said he was on youtube looking at dunks has he was on the phone

Also said something along the lines of Pacers and Championship

Dibble ask him if he though the Pacers could win it all and he answered yes(which is to be expected I would be concerned if he said "na we are a 1 and done playoff team"

Javal Mcgee IMO should of got the invite it is a shame he didnt. I wish they had more dunkers 8 would be more interesting same with the 3pt contest which of course Brush gets snubbed from same with Mike Miller.

I still think he should have Tebow throw a football full length to him, catch, between the legs, dunk. Biggest problem is Tebow being accurate enough for the full court pass.

PG is a huge Tebow fan.

Tebow is very possibly in Florida that weekend.

I'm only half serious here guys.

Edit: Should have read the thread. Very close to what ndcoltspacers said.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    Only way to counteract this is for Paul to go out and get Tim Tebow to throw him a horribly inaccurate pass, Paul catches it, dunks it while jumping over Yao Ming. Then they all 3 Tebow under the basket. Paul George wins.
    Best post Ive read this year!

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He was on FSR tonight with Rob Dibble luckily that is a show I listen to sometimes and said he wants people to tweet him ideas for his 3rd dunk and they can even name the dunk. He will pick the best one. He also said he already has his 1st 2 dunks already planed and is working on them also said he was on youtube looking at dunks has he was on the phone
    Dude, if Paul didn't see my article with all my dunk suggestions, I'll be quite disappointed. Seriously, any of the dunks I listed would be perfect, winning "last" dunks in the contest. I just hope he pulls one of those off. And holds up a sign that says "Thanks btyler!" afterward. Okay, that's unnecessary, but still.

Also said something along the lines of Pacers and Championship

Dibble ask him if he though the Pacers could win it all and he answered yes(which is to be expected I would be concerned if he said "na we are a 1 and done playoff team"
    Yeh, but at least he doesn't show any doubt, even on TV.

Javal Mcgee IMO should of got the invite it is a shame he didnt. I wish they had more dunkers 8 would be more interesting same with the 3pt contest which of course Brush gets snubbed from same with Mike Miller.
    In the new format, 8 dunkers would be way better. At least then you're seeing 24 dunks instead of 12. And the voting would be more spread out, instead of the NBA's Linspiracy getting all the votes (which is what I predict).

JaVale McGee, Josh Selby, DeMar DeRozan, Terrico White. Those four guys could have also been given a fair chance in the contest, and would have performed well. They'd be the second four I'd invite if there were eight dunkers in the contest. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the current format.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I still think he should have Tebow throw a football full length to him, catch, between the legs, dunk. Biggest problem is Tebow being accurate enough for the full court pass.

PG is a huge Tebow fan.

Tebow is very possibly in Florida that weekend.

I'm only half serious here guys.

Edit: Should have read the thread. Very close to what ndcoltspacers said.
    Wait, we're dunking footballs now? #NewContestFormatSucks

Wait, we're dunking footballs now? #NewContestFormatSucks

I didn't think Tebow had a chance in hell of throwing a basketball that far and being accurate.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Heard thru some Indiana State relations that Larry is going to assist him.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Heard thru some Indiana State relations that Larry is going to assist him.
    That would be sick. He said last night that he wanted to get Bird involved. But according to P4E, it sounded like his announcement was that he's going to Twitter for advice on his third dunk; he already has the first two planned. That's why I'm hoping he sees my open letter blog post so he can pick from one of the 12 incredible dunks I suggested.

That would be sick. He said last night that he wanted to get Bird involved. But according to P4E, it sounded like his announcement was that he's going to Twitter for advice on his third dunk; he already has the first two planned. That's why I'm hoping he sees my open letter blog post so he can pick from one of the 12 incredible dunks I suggested.
    "My agent called, and (Bird) said he'll do it if he has nothing come up," George said.
    I googled it now, I can see this being a thing to push him over the top....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I didn't think Tebow had a chance in hell of throwing a basketball that far and being accurate.
    LOL great idea I sent him a tweet I hope he calls Tebow and gets it done. Tebow will likely be at the game any way and we need him to help PG get votes.