Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul George to the dunk contest

Default Re: Paul George to the dunk contest

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know his last name is Lin, right? Ah....stereotypes.
    Sorry, I'm not following you.

Is there an 'Asians do valet parking' stereotype? If so I was completely unaware and my intention wasn't at all to be demeaning to Lin, or Asians, in a racially offensive way. If I unintentionally offended you or anybody else, I'm sorry.

I was simply pointing out, and criticizing, the NBA's new marketing strategy which apparently is to have Lin everywhere, including where he doesn't belong, for instance in the dunk contest (or parking cars).
    Last edited by Pingu; 02-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, the media's gonna end up making me hate Lin like Tebow. Take a great story (except Lin's is a lot better) about a great kid and just pound the damn thing into the ground.
    The one thing I wish the media would do is to redirect this to the better comparison I've heard made - Kurt Warner.

Same out of nowhere, cut/ignored, stars in a lower level league and bursts back onto the scene. His sudden emergence as a PRODUCTIVE player lifts his team to a bunch of winning.

Tebow was a very high profile player who can't do his job very well and everyone rallied to him when his team found a way to carry him in spite of his poor efforts.

I'm more annoyed by the Lin is Tebow media angle than Linsanity itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    My hope is that he uses Lin in the first round only, and PG beats him in the finals. Or he tries to save Lin for the finals and doesn't make it, although I doubt that happens since people will vote for him even if he misses just so they can see Lin in the finals.
    ONLY 1 ROUND!! ..
    This contest just got made into an even bigger joke than it was before..

I simply cannot believe they let it go to fan vote , twitter no less, and only 1 round...

By taking the element of the judges out and making it fan vote, they just threw a turd the size of a baby's arm into the punch bowl...
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    I'd love to see the PG dunk from the video, dunking over Hibbert, and then some sort of tribute to Darnell!
    Fake afro with a Hillman jersey on during his dunk. That would go a long way in salesmanship, and as a tribute too. Also he should request to use a RedWhiteBlue, although Heir Stern would never let that happen.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Sorry, I'm not following you.

Is there an 'Asians do valet parking' stereotype? If so I was completely unaware and my intention wasn't at all to be demeaning to Lin, or Asians, in a racially offensive way. If I unintentionally offended you or anybody else, I'm sorry.

I was simply pointing out, and criticizing, the NBA's new marketing strategy which apparently is to have Lin everywhere, including where he doesn't belong, for instance in the dunk contest (or parking cars).
    I got your "Lin is everywhere joke" and I thought it was funny. There is an "Asians are bad drivers" stereotype that I was joking about, like he could do everything else on the list but not park cars.....nothing you said was offensive in any way.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

The following is a write-up I just posted on Postgame Online for the contest. Take a look at some of these guys' "best dunks", evaluate their skills, and tell me what you think. Also included Team Flight Brothers' "19 Dunks You Haven't Seen in the NBA Dunk Contest" to add some perspective on how Paul could easily take this contest himself. Thanks for reading.

=========

It took some online viral campaigning and marketing, as well as some flashes of dunk genius from the King himself, but when the NBA announced the participants of the 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest today, Paul George (AKA 2Much4You) had officially been named, as well as Houston Rockets' Chase Budinger, Minnesota Timberwolves' rookie Derrick Williams, and New York Knicks' rookie Iman Shumpert (his dunk 'assistant', Jeremy Lin, was also named/hyped).

So let us start with examples of each competitor's skill set.

Chase Budinger was the runner-up (to Gerald Henderson) in the McDonald's All-American High School dunk contest in 2006. His dunks consisted of a one-handed tomahawk (lame), a windmill at full extension (game dunk these days), and a reverse rider underneath the basket (not bad).

As far as Derrick Williams goes, he has the skill and athleticism to participate, as well as some creativity. But I don't think he has anything in his repertoire that will shock the fans and judges. Below, Williams makes a sweet two-handed 360 on the fast break during his time at Arizona. During a pre-season open practice, he throws down a few nice windmills, including one off the side of the backboard, but nothing I wouldn't consider to be "in-game dunks". In the last video, Williams kills a few windmills and pump 360's that could be pretty-looking in the contest. The question is: does he have the creativity to go beyond what has already been seen, and provide excitement on his dunks?

Iman Shumpert is going to be the favorite to win the dunk contest, specifically because the NBA botched the judging process by allowing online, text, and Twitter voting. So #Linsanity will take over the dunk contest simply because he is the Nash to Shumpert's 2006 Stoudemire. However, Shumpert has the best chance (besides Paul George) to win this contest based on talent alone. In these highlights from the Impact Basketball lockout league from this past offseason, Shumpert shows off his crazy jumping ability, and his skillful creativity when dunking. This guy has a shot.

But when it comes down to it, the Postgame Online favorite to win the 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest is the Indiana Pacers' Paul "King" George, AKA 2Much4You. Of the other players in the contest, he's the only one who's performed more than a one- or two-handed dunk in an NBA game, having put down several alley-oops and, of course, his sick reverse against the New Jersey Nets. Besides that, look at some of the other creative dunks he's performed in front of a camera, and see what you think, compared to the evidence given for the other contestants.

If you aren't excited for this dunk contest, whether your team has someone in the contest or not, then you better get your head out of your ***. If nothing else, Derrick Williams will be exciting, and Shumpert and George are going to light up the contest. I have a few ideas of my own, and wish I could give the suggestions to Paul George, but until then, I'll let my good friends over at Team Flight Brothers show you 19 dunks that have never been done in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest (besides Werm's "Lob Scoop Reverse", which DeMar DeRozan DESTROYED last year, calling it the "Showstopper").

I would personally pick Special FX's behind-the-back 360, Young Hollywood's out-the-hand windmill elbow dunk, Air Bama's elbow alley-oop OVER someone, any dunk involving JusFly's cartwheel (windmill, between the legs, etc.), JusFly's under both legs (with or without the Dubble Up), and especially TDub's 540 reverse windmill, "Dubble Up" (out-the-hand between-the-legs OVER someone), or "Dubble Up X" (out-the-hand reverse pump over someone).

This year, the Slam Dunk Contest changes formats, switching to only one round (instead of two), allowing three dunks per contestant, and, for the first time, letting the fans completely decide the winner through online, text, and Twitter voting. Unfortunately, this means that Shumpert will probably have the advantage (unfairly) due to #Linsanity taking over the NBA (and the world), thus causing multi-texts and -tweets to come in voting just for Lin. However, if Paul George puled off ANY three of the dunks listed above, he'd earn 50's from a regularly-judging crowd.

Also, I'd like to see a Vince Carter-styled one-handed 360 elbow dunk, a reverse 360 between the legs (as he did in the workout video above), or something we truly have never seen before.

I'm excited to hear that the Indiana Pacers finally have a representative in the dunk contest, for the first time since (my then-favorite Pacer) Fred Jones won in 2004. To close this post, let's take a look at Freddie's perfect winning dunk from eight years ago, that pushed him to beat Jason Richardson: an off-the-bounce, full-extension 360 jam.

A ton of luck to Paul George as he and the Pacers move forward in the next few games before the All-Star break, and much luck to him during the "Rising Stars" game and the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Thanks for reading, and have a great day.

witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

There are a number of things wrong with the dunk contest now, but if I could try to fix it, rule #1 would be: NO FREAKING PROPS. When guys are putting on capes or bringing cars onto the court, you know it has jumped the shark. Creativity means doing something exciting in the air, not trying to cover up that the dunk itself is bland by including some new prop. Can you imagine MJ or 'Nique doing some of the crap they do now?

End rant.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, the fact that this is how they worked Jeremy Lin into this weekend is stupid. Why don't you let him put up or shut up and put him in the skills competition.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

^^^^
    Looks like a good post. I will have to read this when I get home.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    There are a number of things wrong with the dunk contest now, but if I could try to fix it, rule #1 would be: NO FREAKING PROPS. When guys are putting on capes or bringing cars onto the court, you know it has jumped the shark. Creativity means doing something exciting in the air, not trying to cover up that the dunk itself is bland by including some new prop. Can you imagine MJ or 'Nique doing some of the crap they do now?

End rant.
    Keeping it real and fair though...a lot of what MJ and 'Nique did, at the time, were rarely seen dunks. Fast foward 20 years later. Players are getting more athletic and stronger, so what MJ and 'Nique were doing back then are becoming regular game dunks. The dunks seen in the contest are dunks that I've already seen before at some point.

Blake Griffin is the most recent player who has attempted to bring some type of a "new" dunk to the contest with just pure athleticism. Then again, Blake has some crazy game dunks in general.

As a side note, I'm surprised that the contestants don't go to YouTube to get their ideas. There are a LOT of dunks I've seen on YouTube that I have never or rarely seen in NBA games or dunk contest. Kenny Walker might be a good person for Paul George to study.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Blake Griffin is the most recent player who has attempted to bring some type of a "new" dunk to the contest with just pure athleticism. Then again, Blake has some crazy game dunks in general.
    Are you talking about jumping over a car?

I've seen that type of dunk multiple times at Gus Macker tourneys here in Muncie. The best one was about 6-7 years ago. Steve Smith, who graduated from Muncie Central, had just won the college dunk contest less than 2 years before. He was playing in the tourneys each weekend, and entering the dunk contests (and winning them) because the winner was getting $1000 in cash.

Some 5'8" white dude just took him to task. (They said he had like a 44inch vert.) Steve jumped over a golf cart, with no roof, and this guy brought out his convertible camaro, jumped over it, dropped himself into the drivers seat and drove off.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vz0lsqMV20

#9 is Steve Smith.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-16-2012 at 02:28 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This one is already in the bag. Shump obviously has it won already.

HOWEVER, this is a great opportunity for Paul to get recognition outside of the league, which in turn, should greatly help his confidence. I don't see anyone really outperforming George in the dunk contest, so he will stand out to people who actually understand basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    As an added bonus, No. 1 in that video is former Pacer superstar James "Flight" White.

Paul George has already prepared for the dunk contest. Here's a highlight video of him on the Pacers practice court: http://on.nba.com/xvAzBd

Also, from 12/21/2010, PG dunks over Roy: http://on.nba.com/gYU3H6

23. The Following User Says Thank You to coop-a-loop For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    As a side note, I'm surprised that the contestants don't go to YouTube to get their ideas. There are a LOT of dunks I've seen on YouTube that I have never or rarely seen in NBA games or dunk contest. Kenny Walker might be a good person for Paul George to study.
    Kenny.... Walker...? Really...?

How about TDub? Werm? JusFly? Air Bama? Golden Child? Young Hollywood? Any one of the Team Flight Brothers? Take a page out of DeMar DeRozan's book and take some advice from the Best Dunkers in the World.

Watch that "19 Dunks" I posted, and then tell me whether Paul should study Kenny "Sky" Walker, or any of those guys.

Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I've seen that type of dunk multiple times at Gus Macker tourneys here in Muncie. The best one was about 6-7 years ago. Steve Smith, who graduated from Muncie Central, had just won the college dunk contest less than 2 years before. He was playing in the tourneys each weekend, and entering the dunk contests (and winning them) because the winner was getting $1000 in cash.

Some 5'8" white dude just took him to task. (They said he had like a 44inch vert.) Steve jumped over a golf cart, with no roof, and this guy brought out his convertible camaro, jumped over it, dropped himself into the drivers seat and drove off.

#9 is Steve Smith.
    Nah. I saw the car dunk yeeeeaaarrrssss before they did it in last year's dunk contest. IMHO, I thought Blake's earllier dunks were better than his finale dunk.

Also...why are you teasing? I thought your youtube link was for the dunk over the convertible, lol. What you described doesn't sound like a "great" dunk, but it might have been funny as hell to see.

#9 is Steve Smith.
    I have talked about thais every since Fake Griffen jumped over the bumper of a Kia. I was there too.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Kenny.... Walker...? Really...?

How about TDub? Werm? JusFly? Air Bama? Golden Child? Young Hollywood? Any one of the Team Flight Brothers? Take a page out of DeMar DeRozan's book and take some advice from the Best Dunkers in the World.

Watch that "19 Dunks" I posted, and then tell me whether Paul should study Kenny "Sky" Walker, or any of those guys.
    Yeah, I just saw the link in your original post after I posted. I'm familiar with the Team Flight Brothers videos overall, but I don't know any of the dunkers by name. However, I was going to read the entire post once I got home from work today. Also...Kenny Walker wasn't a bad dunk contest dunker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILcwr67oUg

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Who is going to assist George? We have terrible passers on this team.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

I won't post it here, but I wrote an open letter to Paul on how to win the dunk contest, as well as telling him to use the contest invitation as a confidence boost to work hard the next two weeks.

I truly want Paul to read it and take my advice, even though he has enough on his mind and plenty to do before then (it's called the regular season). Regardless, if he truly wants to win, there's no better advice that can be taken. DeMar DeRozan took advice from Team Flight Brothers last year, and got robbed by not making it into the final round. This year, there's one round, and a world full of judges, so if he wants to beat Shumpert and the Linspiracy, he'll have to truly come out with dunks no one's ever seen.

Here's the letter. Read it, pass it along, post it places, do whatever. I just want Paul to see it, or even subconsciously understand it, and take it into consideration when he gets on the court in Orlando.

My dream would be if he read it, was interested in my help, and contacted me when he got to Orlando for some coaching help. Can you imagine if I got Dubble Up'd-over in the dunk contest?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Im happy that PG has some weak competition, but I think Alonzo Gee is deserving of a spot. I wonder if a lot of people just end up declining invitations. Id think someone like Gee would have accepted, though.
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Wells just said on Twitter that Paul is trying to get Larry Bird to take part in the competition with him! This may be the only way for him to win in this ridiculous new format.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Inviting Jeremy Lin to "assist" Iman Shumpert, while making fan voting the sole factor in determining the winner? Wow. The phrase "stacking the deck" comes to mind.

The only hope Paul George has is if he's the clear-cut best dunker and there are enough independent-thinking fans to vote for him over the New York darlings.

The former sounds very plausible. The latter? Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Inviting Jeremy Lin to "assist" Iman Shumpert, while making fan voting the sole factor in determining the winner? Wow. The phrase "stacking the deck" comes to mind.

The only hope Paul George has is if he's the clear-cut best dunker and there are enough independent-thinking fans to vote for him over the New York darlings.

The former sounds very plausible. The latter? Yeah...
    If it was just New York, it would have been lopsided enough. Sadly, he is going up against New York, the Asian population, and every kid 10 year old and younger. In the words of Vince Carter: Its ova.