Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So they're running P&R's on us to get Roy out to 30 feet...

Mood

Default So they're running P&R's on us to get Roy out to 30 feet...

... what are the classic, X/O adjustments our staff can make to counter what teams are doing to us? They're putting Roy, and by extension the rest of the team, in a really tough spot when they send their center to set picks out around the 3 point line, and we all know that's something Hibbert will always struggle with.

So... what are the most typical adjustments teams make when this happens to their slower centers? This can't be the 1st or even 100th time this has been a problem for a basketball team, so I'm sure there are multiple methods of dealing with this, but right now I'm drawing a blank as to what they are.

Help?

Default Re: So they're running P&R's on us to get Roy out to 30 feet...

well, I mean, just a suggestion..

If they're sending the Center out to the three point line, why not just let Roy stay in the paint and wait for it. Often times our post players just get in the way of the guard trying to defend the PnR anyway. And in most cases, it's not like the opposing team's Center is going to do anything at the 3 point line.

So if the PnR is coming, just have the PG try and go quickly around the screen, and have help defense from the wings waiting if DC/AJ/PG/Lance can't catch up to the opposing player. (And we'll have Roy waiting in the paint if the guard tries to go all the way in.)

(Also, our bigs have to do a better job of calling out the screen too...I saw DC and AJ get smashed by a pick that they didn't see..)

Slide early on the other side of the pick.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If they're sending the Center out to the three point line, why not just let Roy stay in the paint and wait for it. Often times our post players just get in the way of the guard trying to defend the PnR anyway. And in most cases, it's not like the opposing team's Center is going to do anything at the 3 point line.

So if the PnR is coming, just have the PG try and go quickly around the screen, and have help defense from the wings waiting if DC/AJ/PG/Lance can't catch up to the opposing player. (And we'll have Roy waiting in the paint if the guard tries to go all the way in.)

(Also, our bigs have to do a better job of calling out the screen too...I saw DC and AJ get smashed by a pick that they didn't see..)
    I agree....I'd rather let a Center take a mid-range jumpshot near the top of the key then roll towards the basket. Not every Center has the range that Hibbert or Gasol has.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Slide early on the other side of the pick.
    Meaning Roy should recover from showing faster? I'm not sure what you meant.

To the others saying Roy should just hang out closer to the basket, I agree that I don't usually mind the center getting a look out there, but... if our guard/wing goes over the pick, what stops that guy's man from just taking a comfortable 20 footer?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Echoing sookie, it's about staying in the paint or by the pick-setter instead of hedging the handler. Give bigs with short range some room, protect against penetration. it's also on West for not anticipating these situations and offering weak side help in the paint when the center goes to set the screen. He should be ready for the rolling big man.
    Last edited by Ratking; 02-16-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    A good PG would either shoot all day or have a full head of steam to attack hibbert and get him into foul trouble. It would also leave players like Bargnani wide open on the PNP.

I think the scheme is fine for the most part, but if the players aren't executing it falls on the coaches.

I'm at the point now where I think we should try some zone

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    ... what are the classic, X/O adjustments our staff can make to counter what teams are doing to us? They're putting Roy, and by extension the rest of the team, in a really tough spot when they send their center to set picks out around the 3 point line, and we all know that's something Hibbert will always struggle with.

So... what are the most typical adjustments teams make when this happens to their slower centers? This can't be the 1st or even 100th time this has been a problem for a basketball team, so I'm sure there are multiple methods of dealing with this, but right now I'm drawing a blank as to what they are.

Help?
    This is not the first time that a Team has a slow Center that has to figure out how to defend against the PnR.

You'd figure that Vogel...a guy that practically earned his living watching countless hours of game video...would have figured out that Teams are doing this against us while figuring out a way to counter it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

It would help if either of our starting bigs could guard the pick and roll well to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Meaning Roy should recover from showing faster? I'm not sure what you meant.
    Roy can't recover as fast, but watch these first two plays.

And here:

Roy's reacting late and meandering out well past the three point line. And since he's not trapping, it's possible for the ballhandler (tonight Kyrie) to still drive or pass. He hasn't taken away anything. It's the worst thing he can do. It (meandering) happened a lot with JOB as the coach.

Granted we've had this strategy all season, but the meandering is new.

You have to know who you're playing against. Tonight it was Kyrie, who doesn't pass well with pressure, and Erden, who you want shooting from the perimeter.

Another thing we can do is have the perimeter defender (Collison) get between the pick before the big arrives, basically forcing the ballhandler in the opposite direction. You're inviting the ballhandler into the lane, which doesn't work as well with bigger guards like Irving that finish well in traffic, but it works against Norris Cole.
    Last edited by imawhat; 02-16-2012 at 02:12 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    It would help if either of our starting bigs could guard the pick and roll well to begin with.
    Well, yeah, but the whole point of this thread is that they don't, so I'm wondering how coaches have historically dealt with this roster limitation...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Keep the distance between the big and the basket as short as possible. Sookie's suggestion is fine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keep the distance between the big and the basket as short as possible. Sookie's suggestion is fine.
    I think that as a first step in making a change for the better, that Sookie's suggestion will work.

But, if I'm an opponent, and I see that the Pacers have made this adjustment, then I will react by having my big attempt to set the pick lower. My whole purpose will be in trying to get Hibbert to closely guard the pick... because basically, the higher the pick is, the more Hibbert is going to fail.

I do realize that the lower the pick is set, the more help Hibbert will get, so maybe we would be okay.

But, I'm just saying that Hibbert sagging off the pick is by no means the end of the issue.

if you just let Roy sag into the lane, you better hope the point guard isn't a good three point shooter or top of the key shooter because he'll get that shot all day long.

Honestly this exact reason is why I like athletic quick agile centers, to avoid this whole situation.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-16-2012 at 08:46 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Honestly this exact reason is why I like athletic quick agile centers, to avoid this whoe situation.
    Now if you say you like stretch fours as well, we'll all know the truth...

I like imawhat's suggestion of forcing the ball-handler away from the pick. It might invite the guard to drive, but I'd rather have a guard driving with Roy in the lane than a center rolling with Roy at the 3 point line.

My proposal is the Jeff Foster time machine.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

The difficult thing with focrcing the ballhander away from the pick is that if you do that at the top of the key/three point line area (in the middle of the floor) that opens up way too much room and then you have a point guard getting into the lane everytime as Roy is backing up to try and keep the point from getting a layup and it causes our other three defenders to adjust to that. Either the point guard will get an open free throw line jumper or it will open up the three point shooters in the corner.

Forcing the ball handler away from the pick works much better on a side of the floor P&R.

Besides Roy what also really hurts us is that Collison isn't good at guarding the P&R either, fighting through the screen is not his strength
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-16-2012 at 08:59 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    what also really hurts us is that Collison isn't good at guarding the P&R either, fighting through the screen is not his strength
    That and the fact that our PF of duty is always late on the help side, so while Roy is rushing back (and no he is not super fast) he has to recover on his own man AND whoever came out of the roll.

if the P&R is on the top right facing, than the man covering bottom left should come over, a pass to the then open man on the left corner would need to be across all the defenders and not be a very high perentage pass.

Curious as hell what Thunderbird would have to say about this
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two things about some of Roy's defense last night:

1) (Roy's fault) - in the first half, he really looked like he wasn't sure at all where to be when his man showed at the arc. A number of times he was wandering around the paint looking for someone to double. I was very concerned that a savvy offense just steps back above the FT line extended and starts getting free Defensive 3-second calls.

He did better in the second half, but it kind of left us open to item 2:

2) (Possibly not Roy's fault) - when Roy is left on the ball handler after the PnR, the original defender is usually unable to clear from the pick fast enough to get back and relieve Roy to get back to his own man. Getting through picks has been a huge problem for Collison the entire time he has been here - I'd swear it takes him an extra 2 seconds for whatever reason. Now, I think this is causing Roy to leave TOO early, but I think it isn't all his fault.

I think our problem is not necessarily Roy, it is having a PG who always has to take the long way around the pick in the first place.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Do you think they're still trying to get a sense of their priorities on the offensive end? Do we establish Roy early? Do we go to West early? Do we try to get Danny going? Should we get PG some shots. Do you think this may be a part of why they're starting games so slowly?

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Do you think they're still trying to get a sense of their priorities on the offensive end? Do we establish Roy early? Do we go to West early? Do we try to get Danny going? Should we get PG some shots. Do you think this may be a part of why they're starting games so slowly?
    Offensively I think our problem is Vogel's "Simple System". He said he taught the whole offense to West in under 10 minutes. If a player can learn the system that quickly than how difficult is it for the other team to scheme against it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Right now Roy is doing the aggressive "show" then trying to get back, but his balance and agility is too slow and it causes other guys to rotate on D, putting off the entire scheme. It gives the opposing point guard options to drive, kick, shoot the open long shot. The goal should be to take away as many options as possible and force contested shots.

Roy is what he is, so we have to figure out ways to adjust. Roy is quicker than Rik Smits was, and Rik improved in this area. But it also helped that we could bring in Antonio Davis to be that quick agile center that Uncle Buck referenced to provide a change of pace on defense. I suppose that's what Amundson is supposed to do for us, but it's not quite at the same level, is it?

I would like to see an occassional trap of the ballhandler instead of the "show" - just to be the aggressor from time to time. This would require the other defenders to be ready so they can plan to rotate. I would like to see us defend it differently sometimes too - sometimes follow through the high side, and other times sag the low side - make the point guard hit that shot a couple of times in a row.

The other option is to be aggressive in switches so Roy is following the point guard for another couple steps rather than just "showing". Again, this creates its own problem, but it would be an option.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

I think they need to watch some film on guys like Paul Gasol and how he defends the PnR. Gasol is not that mobile of a big.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Roy sags then we have to trap with our wings, thus giving up 3pt shots to teams that are now hitting them.

The FG% across the league is up and when we were defensively stout that was not the case. Roy has to hedge a lot sooner and DC needs to face guard towards the screen.

The risk is the opposing Point crossing over and heading into a wide open lane. A lane that could be closed up by DWest/Hans. Pickline Defense is crucial and we need to employ its strategy more deliberately.

Roy needs to react earlier but I think its more simple than that. I watched a couple games from earlier in the season when we were defending it better, and the only difference now is that Roy's taking an extra step or two out.

Roy needs to react earlier but I think its more simple than that. I watched a couple games from earlier in the season when we were defending it better, and the only difference now is that Roy's taking an extra step or two out.
    Pretty much this, in recent games you can see him go 3 feet further from the three point line and then trying to reach in steal the ball. This gives too much time for the other guy to go back and rush into the paint. I don't know why this hasn't been changed. He needs to stay between the free throw and 3 point, he is long enough to help with the pick and get back to his man.