Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This team has quit...again

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default This team has quit...again

This thread came a little earlier than I expected this year.

Default Re: This team has quit...again

I think they'll get it back together. Vogel was able to get them together last season, he should be able to do it this season too.

I think though, he needs to take a different strategy with playing time.

Play the guys who are playing hard, no matter who they are. Don't play the starters on the egg timer rotations, because they aren't currently earning it. Don't pull for missed shots and turnovers, pull for lack of effort, poor defense and the like...

I think players need to be refocused, and playing time is the biggest thing Vogel could do to encourage that.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread came a little earlier than I expected this year.
    It's probably to early for this.

I understand the sentiment but I guess we should wait till both Danny & George are back to see if this is the case.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Banned

I don't think they have quit, not been a very good team is what I think is the problem, we just have a team full of inconsistent players, from point guard to center.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    It's probably to early for this.
    /thread

Well, Shade went and put his foot in his mouth; now I feel even MORE confident we'll bounce back!

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

We are what we are right now. We have a ton of youth and a few veterans. I had anticipated that we would go through a cold streak at some point and that it would not be pretty. With Danny not being able to go just magnified the problem because he was doing so well defensively as well as injecting scoring when needed. I think once we get GH and Danny back we will be ok, but if a trade were to come available I wouldn't be upset if Danny, DC and cap space equaled out to a young player at the 1 spot.

This is a different season, with little to no practice time, with new players at key positions. The hot start was nice. They are playing frustrating right now, but I hardly think they've mailed it in, and neither should we as fans. They'll find their median.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What was our longest losing streak with Vogel as head coach last season? 7 losses I think? We haven't lost the team yet, just look at Denver, they lost 5 in a row and snapped their losing streak by beating us and they did it shorthanded.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

YOUR MY BOY BLUE & GOLD Groove1's Avatar

Meh, I think they may have gotten a lil cocky too quick, and the effort on D has deminished. Expecting to win, blah, blah, blah. Its concerning when we cant beat Cleveland. Lets see how the tired legs do tonight.
    Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Groove1 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I thought they came out in the second half with a bit of a renewed purpose and effort, it was just too late.

Had they not done so, I'd be panicking the same panic.

I want to see how they come out tonight before hauling out the pitchforks and lighting the torches.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

In case any of the players were visiting this thread. Thought it might be good to throw in a link on how to hit your free throws. Or better yet this team might want to use sometimes casual PD follower BillyK to line them out if they just listen.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3046_shoot-free-throw.html
    Last edited by RWB; 02-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I thought they came out in the second half with a bit of a renewed purpose and effort, it was just too late.

I want to see how they come out tonight before hauling out the pitchforks and lighting the torches.
    I don't think we showed much effort until about 5 minutes left in the game. Pacers were down 18 at halftime, and down 16 with 5 minutes left in the game.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I feel that Shade is correct, unfortunatley.

Last night the Cavs announcers were talking about how this team on the floor (Pacers) looks absolutely nothing like the team that beat the Cavs at Bankers Life the last time thye played. They talked about how the team looked lifeless, looked unsure of themselves, and genrally like a weake team

The thing about those "physical teams" are if you push right back , you will find that the team is softer than you first thought

It's not that were losing games, its the WAY we are losing games. We came out against the HEAT and looked like some JV squad playing a national powerhouse. Roy is offically back in his mental midget headquarters , and the more he plays the more I question giving him the kind of money he will demand. He is inconsistent and still is not mentally strong still goes into funks. We have zero ball movement, a lazifare approach to defense, and a bunch of chuckers who cant dribble

These last 5 games have been a downward trend compared to early in the season. Last ngiht looked nothing like the team who won at Dallas, in fact I bet if we played Dallas right now , they would blow us out of the water.

I guess I just blew any chance at wining the "sunshine poster award" but the skies are gray baby and I dont see the light right now
    Sittin on top of the world!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

See Bill , that why I nominated you for "sunshine poster award"

So it will take a 6th loss in a row for you to realize the ship is sinking faster than the Titanic?

After last night, man I am thouroughly convinced
    Sittin on top of the world!

Pacers winning : Pacers are 1 player away from winning it all, Pacers an elite team, why fans dont attend pacers game, I LOVE this team.

Pacers lose : They quit, we have only 1 decent player, Pacers is in the bottom of the league, no wonder noone watches this heartless team, cant watch this terrible team atm, gonna start cheering for them when they start winning.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saras For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    I don't think we showed much effort until about 5 minutes left in the game. Pacers were down 18 at halftime, and down 16 with 5 minutes left in the game.
    Uh, yeah. The offense didn't improve much, so we couldn't catch up.

WATCHING how they played defense, they were staying in position, focused on what to do, and actually got stops. They couldn't capitalize, which is why I say that the offense needs fixing not just the defense, but the effort was back to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    See Bill , that why I nominated you for "sunshine poster award"

So it will take a 6th loss in a row for you to realize the ship is sinking faster than the Titanic?

After last night, man I am thouroughly convinced
    5 game losing streak is no more an indication that the team is doomed than a famous previous 5 game winning streak was an indication we were going to win an NBA championship.

I'm not saying there are no problems. I'm saying that I want to see how they come out tonight effort-wise before I jump off the roof.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

If we get beat by double digits tonight then I think we can be for sure that this team needs something tweaked. When Danny and G-Hill get back I honestly think we will be back to our old selves. It's obvious though that we cannot beat the Heat even with all our guys fully healthy so therefore, unless we are going to be satisfied with a first round or second round finish this year in the playoffs then a roster move needs to be made. I don't know what that move is, but I feel like Larry has something up his sleeve. He cannot be happy at all about what is going on right now. If we would have played with the effort the whole game that we've been playing with late in games during this losing streak we could easily have won about 3 of the last 5. This team just needs motivation.
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 02-16-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Well this should make Shade feel better.... The Pacers are only 2.5 games out of 5th place. Of course the Pacers are only 2.5 games out of that 8th spot as well.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Banned

5 game losing streak is no more an indication that the team is doomed than a famous previous 5 game winning streak was an indication we were going to win an NBA championship.

I'm not saying there are no problems. I'm saying that I want to see how they come out tonight effort-wise before I jump off the roof.
    I wouldn't be as worry if we lost 5 straight games by playing the right way, but we are not, it looks like the team is falling apart for some reason.

Let's also not forget that we were supposed to have some type of advantage againts some of the teams we lost too, Memphis didn't have Zbo, Atlanta didn't have Horford, Denver didn't have Gallinari and Nene(half game), Miami is understandable because they are just that good and with Cleveland we were kind of even because they were missing Varejao and we were missing Danny(not saying that Varejao is equal to Danny but Varejao has been playing great this year 12 and 11).

Yes I know that we are missing Hill and Foster but again I don't think we win either one of those games with them playing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well, Shade went and put his foot in his mouth; now I feel even MORE confident we'll bounce back!
    I thought we'd play differently after I changed my mood from tingly back to cynical, but Cleveland apparently didn't understand.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Tonight is "I walk out on you" night for me. The EFFORT in the last 3 games at least has been poor, really into the "I don't want to be on the court" poor at times.

Running out of gas late tonight is different than fumbling the ball away 2 minutes into the Miami game, or during the Denver game. That's not the same as Lebron jumping a passing lane and creating the TO, or tipping away your dribble.

Based on the recent efforts most of the guys should be pretty well rested for tonight's game.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    What was our longest losing streak with Vogel as head coach last season? 7 losses I think? We haven't lost the team yet, just look at Denver, they lost 5 in a row and snapped their losing streak by beating us and they did it shorthanded.

Look at the Knicks, they have won 7 in a row with Amare, Chandler, and Lin with a supporting cast of no names. Fields had 15/10/5 last night. The Pacers have better overall talent, right now, and can't win if their life depended on it. This is with D'Ant as coach. I've never been a D'Ant coach fan.

Ginobli just came back and hasn't done much, but the Spurs have won 21 or so games with Parker, Duncan and a bunch of role players. It always helps when Pop is a great coach.

Frustrating very frustrating to have been 17-7 only to watch the wheels fall off the wagon. What I see of late is little team play, poor rebing, terrible "D", not enough passing, players who don't seem to know or understand what they are suppose to be doing. THINGS HAVE TO CHANGE NOW! You can't lose to losing teams the next 6 games. This funk can't continue. If it does, it's on you Bird. You are the one in charge, and you are the one that makes the decisions. Do whatever is necessary Bird! I don't see sitting and watching losses as a great strategy while doing nothing and hoping things change. You tried that for 3 1/2 years. Tell us agai how that work out? Your leadership is needed to righten the ship, so don't fail us!

Loss of effort or loss of confidence? They're easily mistaken for each other.

I'm still not sure which it is, but I think (and hope) that it's more of a loss of confidence. Individually all we've ever heard is how hard these guys work, and we've seen proof to back it up. I have a hard time believing that collectively their will to work disappears.

Not having confidence in yourself, nor your teammates, creates a lot of similiar problems as lack of effort.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I think they'll get it back together. Vogel was able to get them together last season, he should be able to do it this season too.

I think though, he needs to take a different strategy with playing time.

Play the guys who are playing hard, no matter who they are. Don't play the starters on the egg timer rotations, because they aren't currently earning it. Don't pull for missed shots and turnovers, pull for lack of effort, poor defense and the like...

I think players need to be refocused, and playing time is the biggest thing Vogel could do to encourage that.
    I know you are referring to AJ and I agree. When he gets consistent minutes his play gets more consistent. He is not a microwave and needs rhythm to produce.

Lance's lack of hitting a jumper is slowing this team down. When Hill comes back I would like to see AJ get Lance like minutes for 3 weeks.