Thread: Pacers need to think bigger

Default Re: Pacers need to think bigger

we should tank the rest of the season to get a higher draft pick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyJones For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe we can really impress Deron Williams tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really. It's not that I'm opposed to Montae Ellis in favor of DC, but I think some of the same issues we're facing right now would continue after Ellis got here.
    Monta's a really good passer, and because of his explosiveness he's also got the ability to draw attention away from other players to create the lanes needed to make those passes. That's really important in the PNR.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Maybe we can really impress Deron Williams tonight.
    ...or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    We've hashed this PG issue to death in the past, and basically people want a player who the other 29 teams would like too. Nash, Rondo, DWilliams, etc. The chances of the Pacers getting a star PG that is a facilitator who makes his team mates better is a pipe dream. I don't care if the PG is a Nash quality type star, but I want a pass 1st, get my team mates involved, and who can play "D" PG. If I had my druthers, that PG would have size as well. Star power is secondary to me whereas productivity is a high priority. DC is a middle of the pack PG. It truly makes me wonder what Bird thought DC was when he traded for him. Same applies to what did Bird think he was getting in TJ Ford? Or Jarrett Jack? Does Bird really know how to evaluate or was he more interested in trading JO & Murphy for whatever he could get in hopes the PG could possibly workout?
    I think we are on the same page with regards to the attributes that we want. However, we may differ with how we each define "productivity" for the PG. I want someone in the vein of a pass-first PG with vision who also plays "D", but I'm more concerned with how well his teammates play around him, due to his being on the floor, than I am concerned about his own personal stats.

I don't know if I'd call getting Nash this season a pipe dream, but the odds are very low. I would say the chances of signing him this summer are non-existent without first having traded for him during the season. One PG that I believe serves my definition of a PG that has been on my list for a very long time is Hinrich. Our chances of signing him this summer, although not good, could at least be categorized as "reasonable" and "possible".

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think we are on the same page with regards to the attributes that we want. However, we may differ with how we each define "productivity" for the PG. I want someone in the vein of a pass-first PG with vision who also plays "D", but I'm more concerned with how well his teammates play around him, due to his being on the floor, than I am concerned about his own personal stats.

I don't know if I'd call getting Nash this season a pipe dream, but the odds are very low. I would say the chances of signing him this summer are non-existent without first having traded for him during the season. One PG that I believe serves my definition of a PG that has been on my list for a very long time is Hinrich. Our chances of signing him this summer, although not good, could at least be categorized as "reasonable" and "possible".
    Kirk Hinrich is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Kirk Hinrich is not the answer.
    Don't play IKIWISI. Step up and expound please.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Don't play IKIWISI. Step up and expound please.
    Ok I'll elaborate .

Hinrich is a solid vet point who can pass, shoot, play d , yada yada but at this point, as a starter, he'd be a more suitable fit for a team like LAL where he can play off of a superstar. Hinrich is, and for the most part, always has been a rotation player. This team doesn't need a rotation Point Guard, we already have one in George Hill. What we need is a significant upgrade as a starter. Replacing DC with Hinrich would just create a new thread topic about Larry not taking advantage of capspace.

Again, Hinrich is solid and I have nothing against him but he would just be another name on the long list of "not the answer" point guards. But if he and George Hill were both coming off our bench that be awesome. It would at least lessen how drastic an upgrade we'd need at the starting spot. But we'd still need an upgrade at the starting spot.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    We've hashed this PG issue to death in the past, and basically people want a player who the other 29 teams would like too. Nash, Rondo, DWilliams, etc. The chances of the Pacers getting a star PG that is a facilitator who makes his team mates better is a pipe dream. I don't care if the PG is a Nash quality type star, but I want a pass 1st, get my team mates involved, and who can play "D" PG. If I had my druthers, that PG would have size as well. Star power is secondary to me whereas productivity is a high priority. DC is a middle of the pack PG. It truly makes me wonder what Bird thought DC was when he traded for him. Same applies to what did Bird think he was getting in TJ Ford? Or Jarrett Jack? Does Bird really know how to evaluate or was he more interested in trading JO & Murphy for whatever he could get in hopes the PG could possibly workout?
    Do you recall what JO and tmurph were paid? It had seriously gotten to the point where I'd have taken a balcony level seat to a monster truck rally than watch either of those 2 aforementioned PAcers play another minute for us. I'm still stark crazy about getting DC.. He's like 22-23, and doesn't have a 6'10 frame to help him along.

My thinking bigger idea is just that. We need another big body because quite frankly what we've been seeing(or not seeing) out of Hibbert, Hans, West, and foster goes under the unseen category. Itsjust nit cuttin' it. I like them all, especially Sweet Lou, but they all need a serious kick in the ***. New blood could help.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

This whole "big time scorer" thing is a little overrated.

Say we'd traded Danny for Melo before the season started. Would we be a better team?

I really don't think so.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This whole "big time scorer" thing is a little overrated.

Say we'd traded Danny for Melo before the season started. Would we be a better team?

I really don't think so.
    Nobody here wants Melo but yes we could be a better team, our offense fits Melo like a glove.