Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Cleveland Rocks....

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Cleveland Rocks....

I've always been worried that there's a huge leadership void on this team that extended beyond the roster and into the coaching staff. I was hoping Brian Shaw and David West might fix this. Now I'm again worried that the only true leader involved with this team is the man who put it all together.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly think we'll be fine eventually.

Get Danny and especially Hill healthy. Give one of the best coaching staffs in the league time to fully adjust to the X's and O's side of our problems. Let the increased depth of a healthy top 7 lower the minutes of our players and contribute towards getting more wind in our sales.

I think as those all start to fall into place, we'll start winning more than we lose again; I really do.

The question is when. Well, last I knew we should have both of those guys back no later than the end of the month/start of March, so I'm just going to try my best to wait it out until after the All-Star break. I think next month will exorcise these demons and get this 'train' back on the right 'track'.

Just hold on until we get through these next couple of week or so; I don't think the sky is falling.
    You know, I'm starting to think Hill really is an issue.

At first I didn't, because the bench was playing terrible before Hill was injured, and has actually been quite a bit better as of late. The starters seemed to be the problem.

But Hill as an individual is a different animal. He's like a sixth starter. PG has a lot of pressure on him, and it used to be that when he played poorly, Hill would just come in, and take the pressure off of him. Lance has put in a lot of effort and energy, but he can't defend or make shots like Hill can, so a lot more pressure is on PG.

edit: I think Vogel is a clear leader as a coach. From players saying they'd run through a brick wall for him, and from the adjustments in the third quarter. That said, he's a first year coach, and deserves a bit of leeway and time to learn how to deal with things. Two weeks ago, we were discussing him possibly being COY.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wasn't quick to decide that I thought I was watching a contender out on the floor, so I'm sure as hell not going to rush to the lifeboats of this allegedly sinking ship now, either. Fans can be so... fussy.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Well, since the other night Quinn mentioned West wanting the ball more and saying something after a game, then I'll just extrapolate from there and guess West is who Peck is thinking of.

When Quinn said it I took it to be a positive thing because I got the feeling he felt the players needed to utilize West more himself.... But maybe it grew from that... and maybe the older vet isn't in the mood for the younger players' ideas.... and the younger guys take it more as wanting him some more 'me' than thinking of the team.

But I'm just guessing....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Congrats, Peck.

I do believe you may have started a witch hunt.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Well, since the other night Quinn mentioned West wanting the ball more and saying something after a game, then I'll just extrapolate from there and guess West is who Peck is thinking of.

When Quinn said it I took it to be a positive thing because I got the feeling he felt the players needed to utilize West more himself.... But maybe it grew from that... and maybe the older vet isn't in the mood for the younger players' ideas.... and the younger guys take it more as wanting him some more 'me' than thinking of the team.

But I'm just guessing....
    West was looking at DC like he wanted to kill him today, he had the ball in his hands and keep looking back at DC he looked mad.

I'll tell you which player is causing chemistry problems: George Hill, because he's out. That messes up the team chemistry.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

I already regret posting that.

I need to remember to not post these things till hours after a game when I am more collected.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You can make it stop by telling us who is the guy

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that to go along with your comment, but I was going to say it at some point anyway, as it was on my mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I'll tell you which player is causing chemistry problems: George Hill, because he's out. That messes up the team chemistry.
    The Pacers problem is way bigger than just George Hil or Jeff Foster or Josh or Dunleavy or Rush or any other bench player.

I need to remember to not post these things till hours after a game when I am more collected.
    I thought you were wanting to see if any of us had picked up on something/someone and didn't want to bias the discussion until the peanut gallery had chimed in...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

This worst thing about this losing streak is that I've watched only like one of the games. I'm not going back to LPBB after the game and seeing what went wrong. After the first quarter of games I've stopped checking the score. I'm taking it for granted that we will play poorly and probably lose. This feeling hasn't happened since the few games before JOB was canned. I'm definitely being fussy, but this team is in a bad place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The Pacers problem is way bigger than just George Hil or Jeff Foster or Josh or Dunleavy or Rush or any other bench player.
    It's also bigger than trading Danny Granger for Monta Ellis as well, which once again you are on that kick for some reason.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

It's also bigger than trading Danny Granger for Monta Ellis as well, which once again you are on that kick for some reason.
    I've never say that trading Danny for him would fix all the issues.

Edit: now I see what are you talking about, I was just having a conversation with an NBA writer on twitter, he always answers my questions and he was saying something related to Monta.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-16-2012 at 01:47 AM.

i just wish West wouldnt yell and one after every contact shot down low. he thinks he gets fouled everytime, gets real annoying.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHale For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Folks keep talking about getting a scorer that is capable creating for himself. And, I have to admit, I have been down that path as well.

But that just won't do it. Getting that scorer will help some, but it is simply not enough. That will not make Granger, Hibbert, West nor anyone else on the floor better.

The only way you make all these other players better is to acquire a player that is able to deliver them the ball surely and accurately where and when they need it.

And less face it, I'd rather find ways to improve the play of everyone on the team as opposed to just adding one good player that can score.

So, I've come around to thinking the way that some of you have been thinking for quite some time. If we want to see the most marked improvement in the players that we already have, then provide them with a PG that is a much better creator than the ones we already have.

Our biggest need is not a scorer. It is a player that can make all of our present players better and more efficient scorers.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Folks keep talking about getting a scorer that is capable creating for himself. And, I have to admit, I have been down that path as well.

But that just won't do it. Getting that scorer will help some, but it is simply not enough. That will not make Granger, Hibbert, West nor anyone else on the floor better.

The only way you make all these other players better is to acquire a player that is able to deliver them the ball surely and accurately where and when they need it.

And less face it, I'd rather find ways to improve the play of everyone on the team as opposed to just adding one good player that can score.

So, I've come around to thinking the way that some of you have been thinking for quite some time. If we want to see the most marked improvement in the players that we already have, then provide them with a PG that is a much better creator than the ones we already have.

Our biggest need is not a scorer. It is a player that can make all of our present players better and more efficient scorers.
    Wow welcome to the dark side

Monta or Nash can fit the bill. both can do each of those things quite well. if we have a chance to get either of them id do it.

I posted this in the postgame thread, but wanted to repeat my thoughts here..

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I am not sure what ails the team right now...
    But I have my own theories..

I believe that the way this team is set up, is like a finely tuned machine...
    When 1 or 2 of the important "cogs" to the team is out , that the whole machine starts to break down... offensively, and more important, DEFENSIVELY...
    I mean come on, we were top 6 in the whole NBA on defense .. up untill the last 6 or 7 games... and moreso, ever since Hill got injured....

The other thing, since our "machine" has broken down,on the offensive end, everyone is playing scared , seemingly not trusting in each other, resorting to playing more "me ball" instead of making the extra pass , running the play to get a good shot..

As a result to all the above, AND this string of losses, I think what has happened is the proverbial "rookie wall" of sorts... But instead of it happening to a rookie PLAYER, it is happening to a rookie coach and a young team... Add in the psychological aspect, and I believe that is what we are seeing happen..

I truly believe we will get through this , and by the first week of March we will be able to put this string of losses behind us and get back to playing like we should be...

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Lets go see the Wizard Gif - Lets go see the Wizard!
    see more Gifs

j/k... Seriously though, I think all of our guys scoring goes up with an Andre Miller type PG. To win a ring with the way the teams currently constructed though, I think we need a top flight PG.

They better be able to defend as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

You sir are correct... pretty much exactly what I was thinking of posting last night but was too lazy to do.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    He seems to be frustrated almost all of the time imo. Likely because no one on this team seems to be able to get him the ball in the places he needs it.
    This.

West is not causing the chemistry problems, he is just the one starting to scream help.

I rewinded a play last night where West got upset after a shot clock violation. It was yet another instance where Collison dribbles, dribbles, and waits until single digits on the clock before someone else gets the ball.

I've speculated in another thread that our losing streak is not the loss of George Hill's play itself, but his ability to halfway decently distribute and keep guys happy with touches in the right place. That has fallen apart.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 02-16-2012 at 05:39 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I think it's Danny. I think he got upset when Vogel let him set for 20 minutes when he was red hot the other night.
    He also skipped out on talking to the media after that game. Wells said it was maybe the 5th time's he ever done that in his career so he was clearly upset.