Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Area 55?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Area 55?

What happened in Area 55 last night? I saw Duke's tweet about it.

@Pacers24Colts12

Default Re: Area 55?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened in Area 55 last night? I saw Duke's tweet about it.
    Nothing really. We got into it with some loud mouthed heat fan who resembled snookie. We let her know she looked like snookie, and she didn't seem to mind. Some obscenities and improper gestures were flung in our direction. Then in the second half a couple cops and some arena grunts came to restore the peace. Pretty much a normal evening in Area 55.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there was more than just that going on. I know we had to yell at one 55er who was shooting the double birds during the Heat intro to knock it off.

Otherwise, I have no idea, for some reason, I was too focused on the game, and didn't even notice the additional security and cops until the end.

Who knows what was going on in the upper rows.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 02-15-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What happens in A55 stays in A55. Come on sandman whats the first rule about area 55? lol
    Sometimes Duke Can be a little over dramatic about things.

There was a group of Heat fans who had had a little extra to drink and were getting out of control so our usher called for security. They Were flipping A55 the bird and grabbing their junk. Then they were upset with the reaction they got from some of our newer members.
    We will have a talk about that by the way. Nothing new when one of the big teams comes in. They usually have rude fans.
    What our newer members of A55 need to realize is that going back in fourth in good fun is fine. We are not Bulls fans we are not heat fans we are not Celtics fans. We are Pacers fans and we are better than that.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    What happens in A55 stays in A55. Come on sandman whats the first rule about area 55? lol
    Don't call us frat guys?

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Don't call us frat guys?
    Don't talk about area 55!

There was really nothing going on in the upper rows of Area 55 last night that doesn't usually go on. We have one guy, who I actually voted for Most Intense, who kind of escalates situations with opposing fans in nearby sections, but generally keeps things clean. He went down to sit in the lower rows with some of you folks midway through the game.

Maybe something happened on the aisle out of my view, but unless there was something else that happened during the few times that I just buried my head in my hands (well, let's face it, we had numerous reasons to do that last night, unfortunately), there was nothing to report. In fact, we unfortunately have some people sitting near us who hardly utter a peep or participate in a chant of any kind, which is something that might need to be discussed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    Don't talk about area 55!
    Oh, rule 1A.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I was sitting in section 1 right next to Area 55 last night. There were a few Heat fans giving the guys in Area 55 the business because they were slaughtering the Pacers. One Area 55er in a Hibbert All Star jersey took exception and the bait. He proceeded to lob insults back and forth with an idiot heat fan. It lasted about 2 minutes and ultimately the Area 55 guy moved to the bottom of Area 55. The Heat fan was the instigator and kept inciting a reaction. Nothing to look at here was what came to mind as I was watching.
    "A winner is someone who recognizes their God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Bird

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IU_sears For This Useful Post:

Another thing that came to mind was my wife commented on how many Heat fans there were... I proceeded to tell her none of these people were Heat fans prior to last season... Nothing worse than bandwagon fans 1500 miles from the city of the team acting like obnoxious goons on a road game.

The Heat fan deserved to get popped in the mouth in my opinion. If you are a road fan keep your mouth shut, cheer when your team makes a big play, and ignore insults thrown your way. I have been to my fair share of road games to support my team and have learned my lesson!!! Keep your lips zipped on the road, especially at NFL and Big Ten games!!!
    "A winner is someone who recognizes their God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Bird

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IU_sears For This Useful Post:

That was a Pacers home game?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    That was a Pacers home game?
    I was commenting actually on how FEW Heat fans there were compared to the last couple of times.

That was BEFORE most of the Pacer fans bolted, however...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I was commenting actually on how FEW Heat fans there were compared to the last couple of times.

That was BEFORE most of the Pacer fans bolted, however...
    We (Area55) were surrounded. I caught a t-shirt and had to walk seven sections over to find a kid in Pacers gear to give it to. The kid I gave it to (in a DG33 jersey) was with his mom and she was wearing a Wade jersey. I told the kid that he had an awesome jersey and no matter what his mom said to keep supporting the Pacers. He was pretty happy.

As far as the shenanigans last night. I was embarrassed by a lot of our own members. We need to worry less about the people around us and pay attention to the game. We were down 30 and still heckling back and forth with Heat "fans." Home or away when you're getting beat like that, you just have to shut up.

I fear that we are becoming more of a "look at me" section and less of a Pacers cheering section.
    Last edited by BPump33; 02-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    We need to worry less about the people around us and pay attention to the game.
    Good for you.... just like our team it takes leaders to follow and you my friend sound like a leader.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

We (Area55) were surrounded. I caught a t-shirt and had to walk seven sections over to find a kid in Pacers gear to give it to. The kid I gave it to (in a DG33 jersey) was with his mom and she was wearing a Wade jersey. I told the kid that he had an awesome jersey and no matter what his mom said to keep supporting the Pacers. He was pretty happy.

As far as the shenanigans last night. I was embarrassed by a lot of our own members. We need to worry less about the people around us and pay attention to the game. We were down 30 and still heckling back and forth with Heat "fans." Home or away when you're getting beat like that, you just have to shut up.

I fear that we are becoming more of a "look at me" section and less of a Pacers cheering section.
    You are right, there was too much energy put into heckling those fans. When we let other fans distract us from doing our job, THEY win. When the team was winning this wasn't a problem. I didn't hear anybody trash talking anyone other than the traditional "Area 55 boo that fan!". There was ONE kid and his girl who had on Nuggets jerseys last Saturday and folks were losing it over him. I'm not sure if it's one of us instigating or what, but I know it frustrates some to hear other people cheering. The nature of it is that the opposing fans around us are going to be louder because of us, which they have every right to be.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Mood

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

^^. How does that apply?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

See, I didn't really hear any bad language from where I was sitting. Just a bunch of people *****ing about the refs after Every. Fcuking. Possession. That's getting to be damned annoying, not to mention embarassing. Makes us look bad, like nobody understands the game of basketball.

Now, I understand there are bad calls made, and that there were a couple last night, but the refs are not the reason we were down by 35 points at one point. We just played like absolute dog-****.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by IU_sears View Post
    Another thing that came to mind was my wife commented on how many Heat fans there were... I proceeded to tell her none of these people were Heat fans prior to last season... Nothing worse than bandwagon fans 1500 miles from the city of the team acting like obnoxious goons on a road game.

The Heat fan deserved to get popped in the mouth in my opinion. If you are a road fan keep your mouth shut, cheer when your team makes a big play, and ignore insults thrown your way. I have been to my fair share of road games to support my team and have learned my lesson!!! Keep your lips zipped on the road, especially at NFL and Big Ten games!!!
    Our season tix are right next to A55 in the fan zone and the obnoxious "heat fan" was about 10 rows behind us. My wife remarked that she could see why sports fans get in fights at games while this heated "discussion" was happening.
    Seeing all the bandwagon fans about made me sick. I have no understanding of it at all. Why don't they support their local team? Don't they understand that if the local team fails, they won't have the opportunity to go see other stars? (I understand liking other teams, but don't go to the stadium and root against your local team while they're playing them - root for them at all other times! grrrr....)

Mood

I saw you catch that shirt and look around for someone! Too bad my kid wasn't there with me instead of the wife - we're only one section away

33. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    I saw you catch that shirt and look around for someone! Too bad my kid wasn't there with me instead of the wife - we're only one section away
    To be fair, I believe *I* one-handed that thing, and then gave it to/dropped it next to Pump.
    Last edited by Day-V; 02-15-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Really? We can't say bass-turd?

Mood

Day-V - well maybe it was you I saw then

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    Day-V - well maybe it was you I saw then
    Haha, I was the guy with the Danny Granger jersey and Justin Beiber-esque hairdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    To be fair, I believe *I* one-handed that thing, and then gave it to/dropped it next to Pump.
    The guy next to me (I had never seen him) handed it to me, so technically I didn't catch it. I was looking around forever for a kid, though.

Opposing fans in opposing gear are obnoxious but we need to ignore them. We're in Area 55 to gin up noise for our team and, hopefully, serve as a catalyst to get the crowd involved as well. We're not there to jaw with opposing fans, no matter what the provocation.

Like it or not, our tickets come with an unwritten understanding that we should not embarrass Roy, the Pacers Organization, or the Pacers team with anything we do.

We don't need to be calling women "Snooki" even if they're wearing Heat jerseys and look like Snooki (which they did - uncannily like Snooki). We don't need to respond to profanity or dirty gestures with profanity and dirty gestures. Sandy will get those people pitched -- and then we can hoot at them a little.

Area 55 is self-policed. Last night, it apparently broke down. We were warned not to jaw with 102 prior to the game. A few people did it anyway. When the word goes out not to do something, there's a reason for it. Sandy warned people coming in not to call out the Heat Jersey wearers in 102, mainly because a lot of them were little kids. We need to respect that. We're representatives, guys. We need to remember that.

If you're an Area 55 member and you see another member do something out of line, you have to take it upon yourself to call the guy on it. If someone's flipping birds, it's OK to tell him to stop. The vets down in front as a rule are chanting and watching the game. Generally we find out about negative stuff after it happens and the damage to Area 55's reputation is already done. Everybody in Area 55 needs to keep this in mind. It just takes one or two bad actors to sully us and ruin the really good thing that Roy has inaugurated.

If some drunken idiot is causing problems in an adjoining section, just point it out to Sandy. It won't last long after that happens.

Personally, I'm going to be moving into the higher elevations to meet more of the Rookies and also to make sure stuff like last night -- maybe as minor as it was -- doesn't happen any more.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post: