Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

  1. #1
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    I don't post new threads very often, but I am surprised this question hasn't already been asked. The team is 3-5 in the 8 games that George Hill has missed this season. It'd be easy to think that we could easily replace a 10 ppg bench scorer, but I believe it goes well beyond that.

    Aside from being probably our most consistent outside shooting threat, Hill is one of our best on ball defenders as well. We have really missed his defensive presence on the perimeter during this 3-game losing streak (Hinrich, Conley, Lawson all caused our team problems)

    We are giving up 90.5 ppg in the games he played, and 96.75 ppg in the games he's missed. I know it's a small sample size, but I think it's enough of a difference to take note of.

    So the question is simple, how much are the pacers missing George Hill?

  2. #2
    MVP kielbeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    873

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    I would agree with you. I have not heard a whole lot being said about him being out. I think his absence has more effect than you might think because of the defense he brings to the table with the second unit. He has not exactly been explosive scoring this year but his shots are usually very timely.

  3. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    A lot.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  5. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Yeah, it is kind of weird how this isn't getting discussed more. I'm guilty of it as much as anyone, and my initial reasoning as to why is that, well, we're more used to a Pacers team WITHOUT George Hill than we are one WITH him. You have last year's core still out there playing, along with D West, and it still, to me, registers as "normal" even with George missing.

    But he brings a lot to this team, and with him I wouldn't be shocked if we were to have at least two more wins right now. Between the defense he plays and how he sometimes can erupt for bursts of shooting/scoring, that could have been enough to tip the scale in the last two losses.

    He is our best bench player, and probably as good as our starters.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,518

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Like the deserts miss the rain.....
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  9. #6

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Yup we sure do miss him..

    He brings a swagger/leadership to the second unit and first at times..

    I sure do miss his clutch threes to bring us back or extend our leads..

    His defense as well.. Collison has been getting abused on this losing streak.

    Cheese louise the man can't seen to guard anyone at times.


    By me ^^

  10. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    I'm just wondering where all the people that were laughing at him getting likely getting 7 million-ish this summer are at.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #8
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Not as much as they miss Reggie Miller.

  12. #9
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,451

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    I have felt since the beginning of the season that the ONLY guy you don't want getting hurt on the bench is GH. And he got hurt.

    Hope Bird plans on making a move or two. Our bench isn't as deep as we all thought. Hans struggles are very disconcerting.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  13. #10
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    They miss him very much, and yet I hope they are cautious about bringing him back. if they wait until after the allstar break that is fine by me.

    One of the biggest myths about this years Pacers is that they are so deep. False, they have 7 players and through 7 they are balanced and pretty good, but after 7 they are pretty poor for a playoff team. So when one of the top 7 goes down that is huge. I was singing this tune since the start of the season, but mainly the media hasn't caught on yet.

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    You know Buck's speaking the truth when I thank him. We should be able to last until after All-Star break without him, but I would rather we didn't have to. However, these last six games shouldn't be incredibly difficult if we can manage to beat the Heat. We have enough strengths that we can out-power many of the remaining rosters. I hope to see that we do.

    Until then, the Pacers FO (Bird, Morway, Pritchard) need to be looking at their trade options because, if GH is still out, we're not going to get very deep into the playoffs. I'm sure he won't be out that long, though.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  16. #12
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,451

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know Buck's speaking the truth when I thank him. We should be able to last until after All-Star break without him, but I would rather we didn't have to. However, these last six games shouldn't be incredibly difficult if we can manage to beat the Heat. We have enough strengths that we can out-power many of the remaining rosters. I hope to see that we do.

    Until then, the Pacers FO (Bird, Morway, Pritchard) need to be looking at their trade options because, if GH is still out, we're not going to get very deep into the playoffs. I'm sure he won't be out that long, though.
    Bird and co should be looking to make some moves. The point guard position is our weakest link right now for starters. Bench is another issue, but I think you take care of starters first.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  17. #13
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They miss him very much, and yet I hope they are cautious about bringing him back. if they wait until after the allstar break that is fine by me.

    One of the biggest myths about this years Pacers is that they are so deep. False, they have 7 players and through 7 they are balanced and pretty good, but after 7 they are pretty poor for a playoff team. So when one of the top 7 goes down that is huge. I was singing this tune since the start of the season, but mainly the media hasn't caught on yet.
    So which one isn't worthy of your "top 8"? Jeff, or Tyler? I would think Jeff, but with how much Tyler has disappointed, I could see it the other way as well.

    Big if's, but if Jeff can play aside from back-to-backs and Tyler pulls his head out of his butt, I like our top 8 very much.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Jeff doesn't play nearly enough to ever be considered a part of a big anything. He's like the really funny uncle that only shows up to Christmas every 5-8 years.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. #15

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    I'd say Jeff is as important to the bench as anyone else. The difference between him playing and Lou playing is huge. The few games Jeff has played he's made a difference.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  21. #16
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,561

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They miss him very much, and yet I hope they are cautious about bringing him back. if they wait until after the allstar break that is fine by me.

    One of the biggest myths about this years Pacers is that they are so deep. False, they have 7 players and through 7 they are balanced and pretty good, but after 7 they are pretty poor for a playoff team. So when one of the top 7 goes down that is huge. I was singing this tune since the start of the season, but mainly the media hasn't caught on yet.
    I disagree, we just have a bench players who aren't being used properly. As a unit the bench isn't very exciting because it isn't a balanced bench without Hill, especially with Hasnbrough struggling to score.

  22. #17
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    On a 1 out of 10 scale - 8.

    He really is great with the second unit. Much better defense than you get from Price and Lance and he knows how to take care of the ball.

  23. #18
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,451

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a 1 out of 10 scale - 8.

    He really is great with the second unit. Much better defense than you get from Price and Lance and he knows how to take care of the ball.
    That's so true. Hill does not turn the ball over often for as much as he handles it. I still think he's better off the ball than trying to distribute. Pretty good defender.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  24. #19
    Member ejwallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    I say about as much as this....


  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Pacers losing 4 of the last 5 pretty much sums this thread up!!

    next please!

  27. #21
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    He is by a wide margin the Pacers perimeter player with the highest basketball IQ. He is a fantastic glue player to complement the rest of the players we have playing on the perimeter. I agree that we'd likely have a couple more wins had he not been hurt.

  28. #22
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,998

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    He's been missed a lot. Having him means another starting caliber player who can eat a lot of minutes. Plus, his defense is exceptional and he can score.

  29. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They miss him very much, and yet I hope they are cautious about bringing him back. if they wait until after the allstar break that is fine by me.

    One of the biggest myths about this years Pacers is that they are so deep. False, they have 7 players and through 7 they are balanced and pretty good, but after 7 they are pretty poor for a playoff team. So when one of the top 7 goes down that is huge. I was singing this tune since the start of the season, but mainly the media hasn't caught on yet.
    For sure. The biggest thing that I see about Hill being injured is that it throws the entire second unit off balance. Having Hill available to the second unit makes all the difference in the world to their effectiveness. He causes the defense to react and shift to him and probably even causes better spacing to be available to Tyler.

    Do we miss Hill. Yes, terribly.

    I was one individual that thought that 7M was way too much to be paying for a non-starting backcourt player. I still do. But... we are going to have to come up with a means to appease him, because we absolutely need him, or a player just like him.

  30. #24
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,596
    Mood

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    We miss GH a ton. I'll give AJ some praise for trying but at the end of the game DC is gassed from playing so much that he is getting torched. GH fills that void that AJ and Lance have tried to fill but they just cannot get it done. We need GH back and he does deserve that 7ish a year.

  31. #25
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have felt since the beginning of the season that the ONLY guy you don't want getting hurt on the bench is GH. And he got hurt.

    Hope Bird plans on making a move or two. Our bench isn't as deep as we all thought. Hans struggles are very disconcerting.
    Loosing GH is especially bad since he backs up 2 positions. Its almost like loosing 2 guys when considering lineups. My only real complaint about him is that I don't like him playing next to DC (to small on defense).

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Replies: 290
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 05:57 AM
  3. Area 55 season thread for 2010-11
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1386
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
  4. Look back at Pacers Trades
    By Teddy Green in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
  5. Keeping pace with the Pacers
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 12:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •