Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

I don't post new threads very often, but I am surprised this question hasn't already been asked. The team is 3-5 in the 8 games that George Hill has missed this season. It'd be easy to think that we could easily replace a 10 ppg bench scorer, but I believe it goes well beyond that.

Aside from being probably our most consistent outside shooting threat, Hill is one of our best on ball defenders as well. We have really missed his defensive presence on the perimeter during this 3-game losing streak (Hinrich, Conley, Lawson all caused our team problems)

We are giving up 90.5 ppg in the games he played, and 96.75 ppg in the games he's missed. I know it's a small sample size, but I think it's enough of a difference to take note of.

So the question is simple, how much are the pacers missing George Hill?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?

I would agree with you. I have not heard a whole lot being said about him being out. I think his absence has more effect than you might think because of the defense he brings to the table with the second unit. He has not exactly been explosive scoring this year but his shots are usually very timely.

A lot.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Yeah, it is kind of weird how this isn't getting discussed more. I'm guilty of it as much as anyone, and my initial reasoning as to why is that, well, we're more used to a Pacers team WITHOUT George Hill than we are one WITH him. You have last year's core still out there playing, along with D West, and it still, to me, registers as "normal" even with George missing.

But he brings a lot to this team, and with him I wouldn't be shocked if we were to have at least two more wins right now. Between the defense he plays and how he sometimes can erupt for bursts of shooting/scoring, that could have been enough to tip the scale in the last two losses.

He is our best bench player, and probably as good as our starters.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Like the deserts miss the rain.....
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Yup we sure do miss him..

He brings a swagger/leadership to the second unit and first at times..

I sure do miss his clutch threes to bring us back or extend our leads..

His defense as well.. Collison has been getting abused on this losing streak.

Cheese louise the man can't seen to guard anyone at times.

By me ^^

I'm just wondering where all the people that were laughing at him getting likely getting 7 million-ish this summer are at.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not as much as they miss Reggie Miller.

I have felt since the beginning of the season that the ONLY guy you don't want getting hurt on the bench is GH. And he got hurt.

Hope Bird plans on making a move or two. Our bench isn't as deep as we all thought. Hans struggles are very disconcerting.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

They miss him very much, and yet I hope they are cautious about bringing him back. if they wait until after the allstar break that is fine by me.

One of the biggest myths about this years Pacers is that they are so deep. False, they have 7 players and through 7 they are balanced and pretty good, but after 7 they are pretty poor for a playoff team. So when one of the top 7 goes down that is huge. I was singing this tune since the start of the season, but mainly the media hasn't caught on yet.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

You know Buck's speaking the truth when I thank him. We should be able to last until after All-Star break without him, but I would rather we didn't have to. However, these last six games shouldn't be incredibly difficult if we can manage to beat the Heat. We have enough strengths that we can out-power many of the remaining rosters. I hope to see that we do.

Until then, the Pacers FO (Bird, Morway, Pritchard) need to be looking at their trade options because, if GH is still out, we're not going to get very deep into the playoffs. I'm sure he won't be out that long, though.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    You know Buck's speaking the truth when I thank him. We should be able to last until after All-Star break without him, but I would rather we didn't have to. However, these last six games shouldn't be incredibly difficult if we can manage to beat the Heat. We have enough strengths that we can out-power many of the remaining rosters. I hope to see that we do.

Until then, the Pacers FO (Bird, Morway, Pritchard) need to be looking at their trade options because, if GH is still out, we're not going to get very deep into the playoffs. I'm sure he won't be out that long, though.
    Bird and co should be looking to make some moves. The point guard position is our weakest link right now for starters. Bench is another issue, but I think you take care of starters first.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    They miss him very much, and yet I hope they are cautious about bringing him back. if they wait until after the allstar break that is fine by me.

One of the biggest myths about this years Pacers is that they are so deep. False, they have 7 players and through 7 they are balanced and pretty good, but after 7 they are pretty poor for a playoff team. So when one of the top 7 goes down that is huge. I was singing this tune since the start of the season, but mainly the media hasn't caught on yet.
    So which one isn't worthy of your "top 8"? Jeff, or Tyler? I would think Jeff, but with how much Tyler has disappointed, I could see it the other way as well.

Big if's, but if Jeff can play aside from back-to-backs and Tyler pulls his head out of his butt, I like our top 8 very much.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Jeff doesn't play nearly enough to ever be considered a part of a big anything. He's like the really funny uncle that only shows up to Christmas every 5-8 years.

I'd say Jeff is as important to the bench as anyone else. The difference between him playing and Lou playing is huge. The few games Jeff has played he's made a difference.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I disagree, we just have a bench players who aren't being used properly. As a unit the bench isn't very exciting because it isn't a balanced bench without Hill, especially with Hasnbrough struggling to score.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

On a 1 out of 10 scale - 8.

He really is great with the second unit. Much better defense than you get from Price and Lance and he knows how to take care of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    On a 1 out of 10 scale - 8.

He really is great with the second unit. Much better defense than you get from Price and Lance and he knows how to take care of the ball.
    That's so true. Hill does not turn the ball over often for as much as he handles it. I still think he's better off the ball than trying to distribute. Pretty good defender.

Mood

I say about as much as this....

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Pacers losing 4 of the last 5 pretty much sums this thread up!!

next please!

He is by a wide margin the Pacers perimeter player with the highest basketball IQ. He is a fantastic glue player to complement the rest of the players we have playing on the perimeter. I agree that we'd likely have a couple more wins had he not been hurt.

He's been missed a lot. Having him means another starting caliber player who can eat a lot of minutes. Plus, his defense is exceptional and he can score.

For sure. The biggest thing that I see about Hill being injured is that it throws the entire second unit off balance. Having Hill available to the second unit makes all the difference in the world to their effectiveness. He causes the defense to react and shift to him and probably even causes better spacing to be available to Tyler.

Do we miss Hill. Yes, terribly.

I was one individual that thought that 7M was way too much to be paying for a non-starting backcourt player. I still do. But... we are going to have to come up with a means to appease him, because we absolutely need him, or a player just like him.

Mood

We miss GH a ton. I'll give AJ some praise for trying but at the end of the game DC is gassed from playing so much that he is getting torched. GH fills that void that AJ and Lance have tried to fill but they just cannot get it done. We need GH back and he does deserve that 7ish a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I have felt since the beginning of the season that the ONLY guy you don't want getting hurt on the bench is GH. And he got hurt.

Hope Bird plans on making a move or two. Our bench isn't as deep as we all thought. Hans struggles are very disconcerting.
    Loosing GH is especially bad since he backs up 2 positions. Its almost like loosing 2 guys when considering lineups. My only real complaint about him is that I don't like him playing next to DC (to small on defense).