Thread: REGGIE WAYNE TO NEW ENGLAND?!! WTF!

YOUR MY BOY BLUE & GOLD Groove1's Avatar

Default REGGIE WAYNE TO NEW ENGLAND?!! WTF!

Just received an email from WNDE that stated something along the lines that Reggie may be heading to NE! Up for free agency and the Colts have made no attempt to resign at this point. Also stated that Reggie would prefer to stay in Indy, but he isnt getting that vibe from the organization. Shoot me now if he heads to the fn Pats!
    Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: REGGIE WAYNE TO NEW ENGLAND?!! WTF!

Why does it matter where he goes? It's pretty clear he wasn't gonna survive the house cleaning here.

...A little surprising if he goes to NE but only because I wouldn't think they'd be high bidder. No surprising he'd end up a casualty of the housecleaning and rebuild. But then again, what is his market value after this past season?

We're probably going to see an era where the Colts look to let the star QB 'make' the receivers rather than have a collection of star receivers.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All Wayne has said regarding the Pats is "Who wouldn't want to play there?" when Willie McGinest asked him if he was open to playing for New England. That's not exactly earth-shattering information. Of course Wayne would be open to playing for the Patriots if he was a free agent. HOF QB in Brady, HOF coach in BB, great organization, a chance for a ring, etc etc. It could be a good fit for both parties because the Pats need a deep threat and Wayne needs to be on a team that can win.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-patriots/

I think the only way we keep Wayne is if we decide to keep Manning, and even then I don't think the odds are particularly high that Wayne comes back. I doubt we spend a bunch of money on a 33 year old receiver if we have a rookie QB because we won't be contending for a SB if that's the case. You could make the case that Luck could lean on Wayne early on and that's a valid argument, but I'm confident that Garcon could develop a good chemistry with Luck if Luck is the starter next year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'll add... Reggie is good but he's not 'Marvin Harrison in his prime' good. Even if he was, all things considered now I don't know how they'd attack that situation, but since he's not I think the odds drop considerably. Especially, if Manning doesn't factor into the future here.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, it's not like any recent free agent receivers turned a contract with the Pats into a ring anyway. No ring for Moss, no ring (yet) for Welker or Ocho.

They do need someone who is a bit more of a vertical threat, however.

Shows you that players other than perhaps Brady and Manning are really not involved at all in so-called team rivalries, it's a fan thing.

Wayne, Mathis, Saturday, etc. all think "Heck yeah I would like to play in NE"

and if Indy were winning and the Patriots were not, Welker, Branch, Wilfork etc. would all think "Heck yeah I would like to play in Indy"

Thus it isn't really news. I would doubt that Reggie would take a low salary, and New England has to date never signed a big free agent contributor on offense (Moss=trade, Welker=trade, Dillon=trade, Ocho=trade (bad trade)) since they usually do not like to bid against anyone and pay a price too high.

They are the NFL's version of a moneyball team, and I doubt that a #2 WR in a 2 TE offense has an assigned value high enough to make Wayne jump up and down. Though to be fair, Ocho was supposed to fill that role and his contract, acquired in trade, paid him 6 million, not too far below what Wayne makes.

A more likely NE FA target is a stud defender like Mario Williams, and draft a speed WR.

You gotta admit Reggie would be a really good possession receiver in Brady's dink and dunk offense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You gotta admit Reggie would be a really good possession receiver in Brady's dink and dunk offense.
    He absolutely would be. But between Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez that role is pretty well filled.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Branch always runs the right routes and makes the right decisions with respect to route adjustments based on the D, and has good hands. He just cannot separate any more, as in AT ALL.

Ochocinco runs good routes but makes the wrong decisions if there is an adjustment to be made based on coverage, has so-so hands, and cannot separate either.

They really need a speed guy. Reggie has the hands, has the route-running skills, and I would guess is intelligent enough to make route adjustments as needed. I can't tell how much speed he has lost. Thoughts?

Reggie was never a speed guy so it doesn't matter. Reggie is still an elite route runner though and that is how he gets his separation. I think a Wayne/Welker combo with a speed guy peppered in either as a slot receiver or replacing Wayne/Welker in certain situations would be an extremely deadly combo.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Players will never take these type of rivalries as seriously as fans do(most of the time) this is nothing but a paycheck for most of them.

I mean Adam Vinateri came here remember?

Mood

True but there are some players that would never play for any team let alone their current biggest rival. The Steelers could offer to triple Ray Lewis' salary and he'd tell them to eff off.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    True but there are some players that would never play for any team let alone their current biggest rival. The Steelers could offer to triple Ray Lewis' salary and he'd tell them to eff off.

He's definately an exception but I remember Jim McMahon being Grandpa Favre's backup when the Packers won the SB

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If he does, good for him. Great organization, great QB, great chance to get another ring. Not like he hasn't put in his time here or (most likely) fits into our long term plans.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

RWB

Mood

I would root for reggie in NE if he were to go there. He is one of my favorite players and I would wish him the best. The only thing is that they have a ton of possesion receiving threats and they need speed. I don't see reggie filling a need for them.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

I could see the team not looking to re-sign Reggie if we were bringing Manning back. Manning has been able to turn guys like Stokely and Collie into very good WRs so bringing in a cheaper guy and letting Manning do his thing makes sense.

To me what does not make sense is going all in with Luck and not bringing back the most reliable weapon we have on offense.

Clark: Injury prone and was nowhere to be seen without Manning this season.
    Garcon: One play he is great and the next he is terrible. The guy is the definition of inconsistent.
    Collie: No where to be seen without Manning
    Rookie: Most rookie WRs take a few years to get into their groove unless they are just a beast like Megatron or Fitz.

Wayne may not be a speed guy like Jackson, but defenses still have to respect him if he goes deep. They would probably be better off getting DeSean, but putting Wayne out there will do nothing but improve that offense.
    Last edited by thewholefnshow31; 02-14-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    They would probably be better off getting DeSean, but putting Wayne out there will do nothing but improve that defense.

------

-John Wooden

This would be even worse than when Dale Davis signed with the Pistons. Ugh.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I would root for reggie in NE if he were to go there. He is one of my favorite players and I would wish him the best. The only thing is that they have a ton of possesion receiving threats and they need speed. I don't see reggie filling a need for them.
    I could root for him if he went anywhere else. But not the Pats.

Not the Pats.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

The Colts weren't going to resign him anyways. He will have some good value with the Pats in their offense, but for us, he isn't really enough. Reggie never really gets any seperation on his routes, he isn't quick or fast enough to get away from Db's. Though that isn't everything, if your not a guy that runs Db's over after the catch, it really helps to be able to get away from them. Reggie has some of the best hands in the league and will be an asset to NE, however, it won't be much of a loss to us without Manning as QB. Luck wouldn't have the chemistry with Wayne that Peyton had.

If he goes to NE, when they come to Indy ill boo him every chance i get. Buisness is buisness. You choose to side with the enemy, you are the enemy.

On a side note, my friend is a big Bengals fan and he says Cincy is going after Garcon.. So things could get really interesting if we lose both Pierre and Reggie... Desean Jackson anyone??

Reggie has always been fairly overrated as a receiver. Much more of a product of Peyton than anything else, whereas Marvin and Peyton mutually benefited from each other. Wayne was a guy who could rarely gain much separation and needed a qb with pinpoint accuracy to deliver him the ball. Without that, Wayne was an above average receiver. Surely this opinion isn't shared by most "fanboys", but it is not one unique to just me.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Some days the fingers type the opposite of what the brain is thinking. Glad this day is almost over.