Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz says Peyton's arm a "noodle"

Default Kravitz says Peyton's arm a "noodle"

Hope this link works.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz says Peyton's arm a "noodle"

Well obviously his arm isn't going to be strong right now. He hasn't played a game in 13 months, and was unable to lift weights or throw for the bulk of that time span because of two surgeries. So yeah, naturally his arm isn't going to be as strong as it was when he was in tip-top shape and in playing condition. But he has plenty of time to regain his strength as the season doesn't start for another 7 months.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well obviously his arm isn't going to be strong right now. He hasn't played a game in 13 months, and was unable to lift weights or throw for the bulk of that time span because of two surgeries. So yeah, naturally his arm isn't going to be as strong as it was when he was in tip-top shape and in playing condition. But he has plenty of time to regain his strength as the season doesn't start for another 7 months.
    Yeah but more is comming out..

From Stampede Blue
    One report says Peyton Manning has a "noodle arm."
    Another one says Jim Irsay has seen him throw, and is "pleased."

Now, Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network says that he's talked to people who have caught balls from Peyton recently, and the prognosis of his arm strength is not good.

Lombardi told Bill Simmons of ESPN and Grantland that Manning is having trouble throwing the ball to his left and across his body, and receivers he's been working with know it.
    He can't throw the ball. I've talked to people who've caught the ball for him. He can't throw the ball to his left. He can't throw the ball across his body because he doesn't feel it. People that catch the ball for him say that he doesn't really have the velocity on the ball yet.
    The "he can't feel it" part is likely in reference to Peyton's triceps muscle in his throwing arm, which is a direct result of the nerve regeneration issue he has been experiencing since before he had the third neck surgery in August 2011.

It's interesting to speculate who has been blabbing this kind of stuff to Lombardi. We know Peyton was working with Anthony Gonzalez and Blair White prior to him heading down to Carolina this week to rehab with Duke head coach David Cutcliffe, his former coordinator at the University of Tennessee.

Maybe that's the reason why Peyton left Indy to workout in Carolina, because people were talking. It's within Peyton's interests to convince people he is OK, even if he isn't. If any team has concerns about his arm strength, he's not going to get the offers he wants when the Colts cut him.
    The atrophy of the muscle is one thing not feeling "it" is another. Atrophy is going to happen but it sounds like more than just atrophy and its less than a month away before D-day.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

D-day has already come and gone. That decision has been made.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    D-day has already come and gone. That decision has been made.
    Agreed. Probably the most important thing to Irsay is that Peyton does not sign with another team and that his arm makes significant progress before the draft.

That would enable the Colts to also be in the running for his services. And, if his arm tested out, the Colts would have just as great a chance, probably greater, than signing him as anyone else... provided that is what Irsay wants to do.

But to say his arm is like a "noodle" is probably implying something that Kravitz has absolutely no knowledge of. He just wants to appear to have the scoop, when in all likelihood, the only thing he knows is exactly what everyone else knows.... that Peyton has shown improvement but cannot yet throw the ball with a velocity near what would be required of an NFL QB.

Nothing really newsworthy here. Kravitz is just trying to fill space by keeping a topic alive in a story that really only has two more milestones... March 8th and either his signing via FA or the date of the draft.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Well Irsay might be pleased because now Peyton may consider strongly in restructuring his contract. I don't think Irsay wants to let Manning go and will look for every excuse to keep him if the money is right. Irsay's dream scenario as many folks have been pointing out is for Manning to be Luck's QB daddy for a year or two at the most.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Does anyone believe anything Kravitz says about anything? He has been trying to run Manning out of town for years.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Does anyone believe anything Kravitz says about anything? He has been trying to run Manning out of town for years.
    Well apparently they're now friends considering how Peyton is using good ole Bob to get his (PMs) message out at times.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Well apparently they're now friends considering how Peyton is using good ole Bob to get his (PMs) message out at times.
    Considering what that "noodle" comment does to Manning's market value I'm not sure they are friends right now....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Considering what that "noodle" comment does to Manning's market value I'm not sure they are friends right now....
    I think you're right. I use to bust a gut during training camp summers when Kravitz would write an article about the Colts and yet would never make it down for any practices to see what was really going on. In fact I believe Mark Montieth made it to more Colts training camps than dear old Bob until they moved to Anderson.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Is this last comment just plain absurd?
    Last edited by speakout4; 02-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not being a NFL Capologist is it possible that Manning's contract could be restructured and he serve as mentor/backup to Luck while rehabbing his arm?

Would anyone even want that other than those that want to see PM retire a Colt for life?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I would really hate Peyton to go out Willie Mayes style.

Banned

Well even if Peyton was trowing with his left hand he could do a better job than Tebow for sure, if his arm is only like 80% he could probably do a better job than a lot of QB's.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-09-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Yeah but more is comming out..

From Stampede Blue

The atrophy of the muscle is one thing not feeling "it" is another. Atrophy is going to happen but it sounds like more than just atrophy and its less than a month away before D-day.

I'm curious what people are expecting here he was just cleared last week its going to take awhile if at all.

Regardless can't throw to the left at all?

Really? As a QB you can either throw or you can't not much else there right?

There needs to be a running thread/blog on the latest reports of Manning WRTV6 has the right idea there it changes every few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I'm curious what people are expecting here he was just cleared last week its going to take awhile if at all.

Regardless can't throw to the left at all?

Really? As a QB you can either throw or you can't not much else there right?

There needs to be a running thread/blog on the latest reports of Manning WRTV6 has the right idea there it changes every few hours.
    From what I gathered he was cleared from a bone fusion stand point. His ability to throw was still up in the air but we already knew that he was trying.

As far as throwing to your left i am assuming they mean across his body where it takes more arm strength because your hips aren't able to snap into the throw which gives velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Actually, wasn't he cleared back in the first week of December to begin throwing and working on his arm? Wasn't the fusion declared 'fused' then?

I'm thinking this medical report that he was just cleared to play is simply old news rehashed at best for PR purposes from the Manning camp. Maybe they (doctors) wanted to take a look at things after he got some throws in to make it 'official' but this issue of the fusion has never really been the big question anyway. And unless that December report was extremely misleading then we really don't know anything officially different than we knew back then. Arm strength/nerve function is still the elephant in the huddle and nobody is officially addressing that.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, Peyton's doctors saying he's ready to play sounds like it's from a structural issue in the neck, and from the fusion he's ready to play. That's just how it sounds to me. Like he's not going to be subject to any physical harm a normal player wouldn't. That's a doctors job, to make sure you're not going to cause yourself more harm by going out on the field.

The nerve regenerating issue is about whether he can play well or not, and that's a GM/coach issue to worry about. If Peyton can't make throws, and most certainly if he can't feel his arm, I would have a real hard time exercising that option.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Not being a NFL Capologist is it possible that Manning's contract could be restructured and he serve as mentor/backup to Luck while rehabbing his arm?

Would anyone even want that other than those that want to see PM retire a Colt for life?

I ASSUME that if the Colts don't pick up the option then they are in the same position as the rest of the league and able to offer Manning whatever contract they'd like and be free to negotiate terms with him just like everyone else. Of course, once they don't pick up that option he's free to refuse to take their calls too...

The only way the Colts are guaranteed to keep Manning is if they pick up that option. That ain't happening IMHO. Too much of a risk... too much $$$....

------

-John Wooden

On noodle arms and noodle brains…
    3 hours ago | Written by Bob Kravitz |
    10 Comments

OK, so here’s the deal on the whole Peyton Manning “noodle arm” comment, which has blown up beyond all comprehension.

I misspoke.

I do that sometimes on radio, especially when I haven’t had my coffee.

I’ll give you the background in a second, but here’s the deal: What I’ve heard is he’s throwing OK. Not terrible, not great like an NFL quarterback. He’s progressing. Or, as Jim Caldwell would say, “trending in the right direction.” It could be Mike Lombardi is right when he says he can’t throw left. It could be Bill Polian was right when he said he’s throwing really well. All I know is what I’ve heard: He’s throwing OK.

So back to the “noodle arm.”

I was trying to be funny, flippant, basically saying you don’t spend 35 million bucks on a quarterback with a noodle arm. In my head, I was thinking, “He used to have a laser rocket arm, now it’s closer to a noodle arm.” In an effort to explain rather than make an excuse, when you do dozens and dozens of interviews over the course of two weeks (something I’m not used to doing), you occasionally say something you wish you hadn’t said, or wish you’d said in a different way. I know that in the course of that same interview, I said that my sources said he was throwing “OK,” but “noodle arm” understandably has a way of catching people’s attention.

As I’ve gone through this process, I’ve learned that every utterance from here on out, whether it’s Kornheiser’s show or a show in Poughkeepsie, NY, will be vetted closely. It’s my responsibility as someone who is in the middle of this story to be disciplined in the way I speak, whether it’s radio or TV. I’ve got to be as precise in my language on TV and radio as I try to be in the newspaper.

Call it a case of noodle brain…

Now I’ve got an appearance on Outside the Lines and NFL Live. Man, I’m gonna be careful.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/kravitz/20...noodle-brains/

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

You'd think someone who teaches a journalism class should understand the importance of presenting your articles in clear a manner.

Krapitz is a turd. Not just because of this situation, just a complete turd in general.

I’ll give you the background in a second, but here’s the deal: What I’ve heard is he’s throwing OK. Not terrible, not great like an NFL quarterback. He’s progressing
    So why should readers believe this when you've already stated you're a liar Bob?

As I understand it the noodle arm comment was part of an interview he gave and not anything he wrote in a column. He still needs to be careful with his words, but like he's explaining here, the connection he intended to make didn't really get made. And unlike when you are proof-reading your work, in a live interview setting things move on and you don't realize until later you didn't make the point the way you thought you did. Especially when trying to be a little colorful at the same time.

I did a little media interview locally for the newspaper and the questions were emailed to me. The first version of my answers weren't nearly what my answers were after having time to reflect on them and self-edit some things before finally replying a day later. So I can give Kravitz some benefit of the doubt here. A live interview versus thought out words that can be proofread are two different things.

------

-John Wooden

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Im certainly no doctor, everyone is different, and Manning probably has access to way better health care than the normal person...but my father in law had the exact same surgery and he can barely even get in and out of a car. A car of which has to be a minivan or he couldnt get in at all. He also has to move his entire torso to turn his head to in order to look at you.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Yeah, Kravitz comes off as a moron after that.

Polian seemed very optimistic about Peyton's throwing, and he hasn't seen Peyton throw since December. Peyton has probably made a lot of progress since then. I think I trust Polian on this a bit more than Kravitz.

Bottom line: I think Peyton plays next season and we're going to regret it if it's not in Indy. I wish we could figure out a way to keep Peyton and Luck. We could string together like 30 years of elite QB play.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-11-2012 at 10:27 AM.