Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R. Smith: Lakers, Clippers, or Pacers

Default Re: J.R. Smith: Lakers, Clippers, or Pacers

is it me or does it seem like we're rumored with every single player out there
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is it me or does it seem like we're rumored with every single player out there
    When you have the cap space, you will be. Most will be entirely unfounded.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Here is a short article from SLAM magazine talking about Chris Paul recruiting him to play for the Clippers and what some teams can offer him. Doesn't mention the Pacers. We are mentioned in another article as a "possible landing spot", but that is status quo with every FA.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...-the-clippers/

The Knicks are the presumed favorite to land Smith because they can offer him both a large role on the team, and their pro-rated $2.5 million mini mid-level exception. Exceptions are only pro-rated after Feb. 10, so Smith wouldn’t be losing much. Most of the other teams reportedly interested in him, like the Lakers or Clippers, can only offer him a veteran minimum contract, which would be pro-rated from the beginning of the season.”

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

If only we could have him as a rental for this year

I know from a charcture standpoint he is a risk but after watching our bench have no real go to player

I would take a swing. I mean were talking about a SG with playoff experience, one who can light it up when hot

At this point, if we can't swing a better trade, and JR was willing to come here AND stay in check, then I would do it
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Could we sign him and turn around and trade him by the deadline? lol that would be funny.
    Make an offer for just the rest of this season...nothing more....problem solved. My guess is that he'll ( just like JCraw ) want to look to a FA market that has more Teams that want to spend money.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    He's averaging 35 PPG?????
    This is the Chinese Basketball League that we are talking about.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You always hope a guy with that kind of talent will grow and mature especially when he's being talked about in connection with your team. But, IMHO, that kind of change takes a lot of work and upkeep and at their core, people rarely change that much. An exception might be a significant experience that takes you way outside the norms and boundaries of your life. Perhaps China was a bit like that for Smith. If so, I think a pick-up like Smith with a new perspective/attitude could be (to quote someone from another thread) our Rasheed. However, we can't know this kind of thing about Smith. So, if I'm Larry Bird, do I roll the dice and go after him or bide my time to get the right piece without the issues? I think watching this team over the last few years, we all know the answer to that.

This is from August '10 (and bleacherreport.com) but I think it highlights the whole JR Smith "thing" pretty well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...ges-of-assault

EDIT: The article is actually from Rip City Report but the link to their article page is dead.
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 02-13-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Link verification

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    If only we could have him as a rental for this year

I know from a charcture standpoint he is a risk but after watching our bench have no real go to player

I would take a swing. I mean were talking about a SG with playoff experience, one who can light it up when hot

At this point, if we can't swing a better trade, and JR was willing to come here AND stay in check, then I would do it
    That's the way I feel. Also, the only guy with even close to a similar reputation to Smith on this team is Lance and he is really trying his best to turn his life around. The year we had the brawl we had several guys that had bad things going on off-court. This team is full of good guys and we have Jeff Foster and David West which guys in the locker room respect and model after. If Larry and Frank have a sit down talk with Smith about how we are running things around here and tell him they want no nonsense and Smith agrees, I don't see why we shouldn't give it a run. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would like to see Stephenson, Hill, and Smith coming off our bench... that could be nice. I don't know, I'm kinda iffy about his reputation, but we need a guy like him.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Mood

Here is the article translated:

Zhejiang Taurus swingman JR Smith ( JR Smith ), in an interview for their own return to the NBA , will choose to join which team, Smith said he was inclined to go to the Lakers , Clippers and walkers . >>> Concern on the 14th, the Mavericks at home against the Clippers, Mavericks main to 3.5, the default score 189.5 points, it is recommended Clippers Win, Oita. Concerned about more tiger flutter basket color Handicap
    The end of my season, now his family is important, I am anxious to go home to my family and where teams would now have no news, I tend to go to the Lakers, Clippers and Indiana. Regardless of where I am, my new goal is to win the championship. "
    JR Smith was said to have only NBA team and his previously reported, said New York Knicks in a leading position in the battle of JR-Smith.
    February 15, Zhejiang Taurus at home against Liaoning Jaguar. JR Smith will Zhejiang team so after the game, then returned to the United States. As of 33 this season, JR Smith on behalf of the Zhejiang Taurus played 31 games, averaging 37 minutes, 34.7 points and 7.3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.5 steals, manufacturing opponent foul 9.5 times half ball 7.5-14.5, 51.5% of the hit rate, one-third 4.1-8.9 ball hit rate is 46.6 percent free throw 7.5-9.8, the hit rate of 76.2%.

http://news.hoopchina.com/201202/73847.html

@Pacers24Colts12

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

At this moment in time, we NEED a REAL scorer and shot creator off the bench. I'm all in. Without George Hill, our second unit is VERY suspect.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

We don't know what other options Larry has for trades, but a 1/2 season rental at 4 mil should be an option. The best he will do with the other teams is the mini and vet. Not even close to what Pacers could offer.

I think I'd rather have Kaman, so we could have a steady dose for 48 minutes. Prolly can't have both Kaman and Smith, to much money.

Hill comes back and Paul gets more consistent, don't really see the need of Smith.

I don't see Smith having any issues for this short term as it will be a time to prove himself going into FA this summer.

IIRC, George Karl had problems with JR, so why would Vogel not?
    PASS!

I know this is a long shot, BUT I'd much rather have Wilson Chandler, long term, vs a JR Smith, short term. I'm more interested in the long term than a half season rental. The Pacers did the half season rental gig with Peja and Big Al, and neither worked out. Chandler can b/u Granger, and be the heir apparent to the SF position either by not re-signing Granger or trading him. JMOAA

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    PASS!

I know this is a long shot, BUT I'd much rather have Wilson Chandler, long term, vs a JR Smith, short term. I'm more interested in the long term than a half season rental. The Pacers did the half season rental gig with Peja and Big Al, and neither worked out. Chandler can b/u Granger, and be the heir apparent to the SF position either by not re-signing Granger or trading him. JMOAA
    I think most of us would like that. But you have to give to get. Not sure who we give that would actually work out. A 1st pick would work for us, but I don't think that will get Chandler.

I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    PASS!

George Karl had a very tough job because its not like the players were going to police things.

I think this team and coaching staff could handle it but of course there is a risk there that it could be a Tinsley disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This is the Chinese Basketball League that we are talking about.
    Yes, but in most International leagues scoring is much lower than in the NBA.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm all for it. Every team can manage one head case. Our problem before was we had 4 or 5 at a time. Stephenson has turned it around completely(no I don't think JR Smith would corrupt him), so really I think we can only benefit from this move. When Hill comes back our bench becomes the best in the NBA.

Of course, none of that matters because he is going to sign with the Clippers for "Lob City", on the off-chance that doesn't happen, you can see him in a Lakers or Knicks uniform.

Mood

Heck, it looks like JR's got a history similar to Iverson's....We could just go for the original, and skip the middle man....

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    Heck, it looks like JR's got a history similar to Iverson's....We could just go for the original, and skip the middle man....
    Except that JR Smith can still play. I doubt he'd pick the Pacers over the Lakers and Clippers, but if he's willing to come then I'd say he's worth the gamble.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Of course, none of that matters because he is going to sign with the Clippers for "Lob City", on the off-chance that doesn't happen, you can see him in a Lakers or Knicks uniform.
    Smith's not going to the Lakers. I think he's got all it takes to start for a team, and I don't believe he'll play second string to Kobe, even with their triangle offense and muddled depth chart.

I still see him landing in LA, though, with the Clippers. Either there or NYK, where all their missing is a solid starting SG. With Linsanity continuing, he could be their consistent starting point guard, but Landry Fields is far from Smith's caliber.

However, I would almost expect to see him go someplace like Orlando. If he and Wilson Chandler both relocated to the Magic, they would be one greater-than-Nelson point guard away from keeping Dwight Howard in place.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Bonzi Wells' first two games in the Chinese Basketball Association:

48 points, 11 rebounds, 7 steals
    52 points, 14 rebounds

He averaged 34 in his 14 games before leaving the country.

Bonzi Wells. Not exactly the best competition.
    Man, Bonzi was a hooper. A headcase, but a hooper. I am so torn on Smith. When he gets hot, he can flat out fill it up! But his shot selection can be maddening at times. I'd feel a lot better about picking him up with the current staff in place. I think he'd be another case for Clark Kellogg to undertake.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

I'd be pretty skeptical of him. Seems like a good addition basketball wise, but I just feel like he is an idiot, and we don't really need that.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Man, Bonzi was a hooper. A headcase, but a hooper. I am so torn on Smith. When he gets hot, he can flat out fill it up! But his shot selection can be maddening at times. I'd feel a lot better about picking him up with the current staff in place. I think he'd be another case for Clark Kellogg to undertake.
    Bear in mind this was fat, post-NBA Bonzi not 25 year old prime Jailblazer Bonzi.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

he's not gonna chose us over the big market teams like the LA's, unless we overpay, no thanks, I'd rather see whats available at the trade deadline

I'll pass.

The last thing i want is JR's sister sitting in Banker's Life every home game

Choked some woman and apparently had a few altercations with the audience...smh
    http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/0...sociation-game

EDIT: lol i swear i should read earlier posts. Holick covered this on page 1 :P
    Last edited by rel; 02-13-2012 at 05:03 PM.