Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

  1. #51

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    [QUOTE=Sookie;1372644]
    No, Vogel made that announcement after the Miami game. (Although it was clear he had made the switch during the Miami game.)
    I don't think this is correct. The two games after the Miami game (which was only game 5) Lance played his most minutes. Vs Philly he got 14 minutes, and I remember him guarding Jrue Holiday some. Then the next game was probably Lance's best game of his career. He had the ball in his hands at PG for a large portion of his season high 18 minutes. The switch seems much more recent than that.


    Still, I understand it's hard to bench a young guy whose putting in a lot of energy and effort into his role. It's just whether you want the team to be better this year and heading into the playoffs or not or whether you want to develop Lance more.
    I agree we'd probably be a better team right now with Price, but I'm not so sure we'd be a better team by the time post season rolls around.

    If Lance was given a consistent 15 minutes a game it could do wonders for his game. He's never gonna find his jump shot, or get comfortable with his crafty paint shots, if he's only getting up a few a game.... if any.

    The million dollar question for Vogel and Bird is, is it worth it to risk losing a player you spent so much time and headaches molding into a good team player and citizen for a few more regular season wins? It's doubtful Price is going to make a difference in advancing in the playoffs, so what's the point in stunting Lance's development? If he gets the time this year, you never know, he could be a really good player for us next year, and if we lose Hill we'll have his replacement ready.

    There's good arguments either way, it's just the over the top stuff is lame from both camps. That and all the rock solid advanced stats telling me Lance sucks.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    [QUOTE=beast23;1372661]

    Personally, I'm a fundamentalist. I see no more value in the "flashy" pass than I do in the standard, every day ordinary entry pass to the post. I think that some folks are fooled by flash and for some reason put more value in it. Kind of like monstrous dunks versus layups.

    I don't care about the fact that Lance is able to accomplish some of his passes with flair. I don't award points for style. All I want to see is consistency in all things that he does, just like I expect from any other player.
    I think you're not giving us enough credit if you think the only reason we like him is because of the fancy pass. Personally, I like because he makes the normal pass look easy. Whether it's advancing the ball on the break, or hitting a player in rhythm for a jump shot. He's the best passer on the team according to the Legend.
    Therefore, if Lance needs far more minutes to develop, the best place for him to get them would be in the D-league, because he has done nothing to earn or warrant those minutes at this time.
    I'm just asking for a consistent 15 at backup PG. You don't develop players on 7 minutes a night.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you watched any games so far this year? Some people have fallen so in love with the possibility of Lance becoming out starting PG in the future they are blind to the current truths.
    What is your truth? I am not agreeing with that guy, however Aj does dominate the ball on offense and can be quite the chucker. While he may not "steal shots" he most certainly is limiting Lances opportunity. Do you watch the games? Do you have an actual position on this subject or do you just like generating generic insults?


    PS. I would be less abrasive, but I didn't think you were nice to that guy.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-13-2012 at 04:16 AM.

  5. #54
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . That and all the rock solid advanced stats telling me Lance sucks.
    those guys don't look to see what they can learn from stats. They look at stats to find numbers, which they can use, to push there agenda. Arguing with the people you were arguing won't be worth the effort.

    Sookie, This wasn't directed at you. Your an entirely different animal.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-13-2012 at 03:21 AM.

  6. #55

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I presume you do realize that your position is not something that Vogel and TPTB agree with? Right?

    Otherwise, if Lance were "that good", would it not be obvious to you that Vogel would have him in the starting lineup. Therefore, I must conclude that either Vogel is incredibly stupid, or that perhaps your perspective is more than just a bit biased.

    Personally, I'm a fundamentalist. I see no more value in the "flashy" pass than I do in the standard, every day ordinary entry pass to the post. I think that some folks are fooled by flash and for some reason put more value in it. Kind of like monstrous dunks versus layups.

    I don't care about the fact that Lance is able to accomplish some of his passes with flair. I don't award points for style. All I want to see is consistency in all things that he does, just like I expect from any other player.

    Folks can talk about how 20-25 minutes per game would be the best thing for Lance. I would agree. Playing significant minutes would be the best thing to develop his game. Unfortunately, Lance playing 20-25 minutes per game would not be the best thing to benefit the TEAM. Therefore, if Lance needs far more minutes to develop, the best place for him to get them would be in the D-league, because he has done nothing to earn or warrant those minutes at this time.
    First of all, nobody has suggested moving Lance into the starting lineup. As far as falling in love with a flashy pass, you could not be more wrong. I am old school, I could care less about how a pass is made as long as it is made. Collison and Price very seldom make that pass. As far as benefiting the team, how much do you really think Price is benefiting the team. Get real. As far as the coaching staff and Pacers brass not agreeing with me, you are obviously wrong about Bird and you don't know what their thoughts are for the future. The question is when is the right time to give him a chance. There is a kid in New York right now that two teams thought could not make it in this league, their front office and coaches were so far wrong. He has taken the league by storm because someone gave him a chance. So please stop putting words in my mouth, this is only my opinion. I have a right to it just as you have a right to yours.

  7. #56
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Lance is doing something important right now. He's learning. Just as all young players must do. It doesn't matter whether or not they play him at the 1 or 2, 10 minutes or 20. He's learning on the fly how to employ what Larry sees every day in practice. It will take time.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:


  9. #57

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is your truth? I am not agreeing with that guy, however Aj does dominate the ball on offense and can be quite the chucker. While he may not "steal shots" he most certainly is limiting Lances opportunity. Do you watch the games? Do you have an actual position on this subject or do you just like generating generic insults?


    PS. I would be less abrasive, but I didn't think you were nice to that guy.
    Because Lance hasn't shown he can score in the flow of an offense. He also doesn't move without the ball too well. So it's really not a good pass to throw him the ball in the corner.

    He can score in transition. And he can score when he dominates the ball and goes to the basket. (Although rarely)

    The bottom line is, you have to ask yourself, who is more likely to score from the perimeter - Lance, AJ, or Dahntay. Because that's the guy that should be taking the shots. And despite current percentages, I think the coaching staff (and I agree) believe AJ's more likely to do so.

    I mean seriously, ask yourself, would the kid who has been the "hard working professional" young guy...the kid who to this day, in interviews (even when baited) won't say a negative word about Jim O'brien. (That's some major professionalism..) be so uncoachable that if Vogel told him to stop shooting, he wouldn't? Last season, when he was going through his slump, the coaches told him to keep shooting. He gets rewarded with more playing time the more aggressive he is on offense. And it's not like the coaching staff hasn't stopped people from "chucking." (Dahntay, Tyler) I think they recognize what I recognize, which is, on the bench SOMEONE needs to look for their shot. Lance isn't a perimeter shooter, and seems flat out uncomfortable doing that (And I personally think it's more unfair to Lance than it is to AJ to ask Lance to be the #2 option and main perimeter threat). Dahntay would much rather go to the basket. Defenses are giving the bench unit the three point shot. So the bench has to prove that someone can make it.

  10. #58

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    I don't think players like Lance are developed in 7, 10, or even 15 minutes of gametime.

    Players like Lance are developed in practice, against other NBA players, and the Pacers haven't had enough of it.

    Sure, I'd like to see Lance play more. I've only seen him once in person, vs the Nets during Super Bowl week. (Thanks again btyler!). Once was enough to make me a believer - in his court vision and passing skills. But on offense, Lance is less of a threat than Jeff Foster.

    He's caught between a rock and a hard place: too valuable to risk regressing in the D-League, but too little offense to justify more minutes. In my opinon, of course.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptaylor2112 For This Useful Post:


  12. #59
    Member ejwallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    I thought the substitutions hurt us this game....Like was stated earlier, stop with the egg timer, and substitute when needed. Watching these past few losses, one thing that just screams at me is Vogel taking out the hot players. In the first quarter, Danny had 17 points....17 of our 35 points in the first quarter were from Danny.....Then he got stuck on the bench, got cold, and only picked up another 9 points...

    During the second quarter, our second team continued to hold the lead, until they got pulled....Aj was looking really good from a scoring perspective, then poof, he was pulled so the starters could come back in.

    I also noticed that we do very little intermingling of "teams". Vogel either has in the starters or our second team...Very rarely are we running with a mix of starters and second team. This worries me because it makes me feel that our team really isn't on the same page as far as play style, and being able to play together.

    Roy's game concerned me as well, and I can't blame anything other than him being gassed. Watching him run the court, he just looked like he was going through the motions. By the end of the game, he wasn't even making it into position by the time a quick shot would be taken. I also distinctly remember Roy giving up on a rebound he thought was going out of bounds, only to have a Nugget swoop in and pick it up for easy points. Very disappointing.....I want to see the Roy from the Lakers game each and every time he steps on the court.

    Rebounding is also a big concern. No one was crashing the boards.... I was thoroughly impressed on one play when I saw George run in to get inside position for a rebound....until he got sucked so far in that the rebound went over his head.....I just don't get it....

    I love watching this team, but I hope this roller-coaster starts its upward crawl again.....

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:


  14. #60
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,302

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the substitutions hurt us this game....Like was stated earlier, stop with the egg timer, and substitute when needed. Watching these past few losses, one thing that just screams at me is Vogel taking out the hot players. In the first quarter, Danny had 17 points....17 of our 35 points in the first quarter were from Danny.....Then he got stuck on the bench, got cold, and only picked up another 9 points...

    During the second quarter, our second team continued to hold the lead, until they got pulled....Aj was looking really good from a scoring perspective, then poof, he was pulled so the starters could come back in.

    I also noticed that we do very little intermingling of "teams". Vogel either has in the starters or our second team...Very rarely are we running with a mix of starters and second team. This worries me because it makes me feel that our team really isn't on the same page as far as play style, and being able to play together.

    Roy's game concerned me as well, and I can't blame anything other than him being gassed. Watching him run the court, he just looked like he was going through the motions. By the end of the game, he wasn't even making it into position by the time a quick shot would be taken. I also distinctly remember Roy giving up on a rebound he thought was going out of bounds, only to have a Nugget swoop in and pick it up for easy points. Very disappointing.....I want to see the Roy from the Lakers game each and every time he steps on the court.

    Rebounding is also a big concern. No one was crashing the boards.... I was thoroughly impressed on one play when I saw George run in to get inside position for a rebound....until he got sucked so far in that the rebound went over his head.....I just don't get it....

    I love watching this team, but I hope this roller-coaster starts its upward crawl again.....
    I hate the egg timer moves too. I also think Vogel's use of timeouts could be better.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  15. #61
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    I like the egg timer substitutions - during the regular season that is the way I would do it if I were coach. That is the best way to build a bench, there is a reason why Carlisle almost always has one of the best benches in the NBA. The regular season is building towards the playoffs. Sort of like in school, the regular season games are quizzes the playoffs are final exams.

    the criticism is interesting though

  16. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,024

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the egg timer substitutions - during the regular season that is the way I would do it if I were coach. That is the best way to build a bench, there is a reason why Carlisle almost always has one of the best benches in the NBA. The regular season is building towards the playoffs. Sort of like in school, the regular season games are quizzes the playoffs are final exams.

    the criticism is interesting though
    The problem isn't the egg timer substitutions, but being so strict about it that it is wearing out our starters and doesn't put us in the best position to win. There is little to no adjusting to the specific situation.

    Also I have no idea how it builds a strong bench. Carlisle constantly has good benches because he constantly has good bench players, and because he is a good coach. His strict substitution methods are is his biggest flaw.

    Like I said there is nothing wrong with it, but you need to have some flexibility in order to put your team in the best position to succeed.

  17. #63
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,012

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    What bench player should be getting more time?

    Lou? No.
    Foster? I wish.
    Tyler? Uh, okay.
    DJones? Maybe.
    Lance? No.
    AJ? No.

    The only player left is Pendergraph. Should he play more? No.

    The problem really isn't with the amount of minutes, rather than the lack of players available. The Pacers are missing, what, 2 other roster spots? I would guess that if those positions were filled it would ease up on the rest of the players. Not only for game minutes, but also practice minutes.


    But really, not having Hill nor Foster is the main problem. Your two best, most consistent bench players can't play right now. It doesn't take a whole lot to realize that bench play is going to suffer from it. Their depth is really hurting without those two.

    But I really can't think of a single bench player, that can play, where I've thought to myself "wow, they need more minutes."

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  19. #64
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,302

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What bench player should be getting more time?

    Lou? No.
    Foster? I wish.
    Tyler? Uh, okay.
    DJones? Maybe.
    Lance? No.
    AJ? No.

    The only player left is Pendergraph. Should he play more? No.

    The problem really isn't with the amount of minutes, rather than the lack of players available. The Pacers are missing, what, 2 other roster spots? I would guess that if those positions were filled it would ease up on the rest of the players. Not only for game minutes, but also practice minutes.


    But really, not having Hill nor Foster is the main problem. Your two best, most consistent bench players can't play right now. It doesn't take a whole lot to realize that bench play is going to suffer from it. Their depth is really hurting without those two.

    But I really can't think of a single bench player, that can play, where I've thought to myself "wow, they need more minutes."
    I disagree about Lance. He should be earning more playing time. His defense has improved, he gets steals, & he's our best passer.

    I agree with everything else.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  20. #65
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,311

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    I agree, there's usually nothing wrong with the egg timer rotation style, but when a player is hot, you got to keep them in their rhythm.

    Frank doesn't pull Danny at the start of the second, and I think we win that game going away.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  21. #66
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because Lance hasn't shown he can score in the flow of an offense. He also doesn't move without the ball too well. So it's really not a good pass to throw him the ball in the corner.

    He can score in transition. And he can score when he dominates the ball and goes to the basket. (Although rarely)

    The bottom line is, you have to ask yourself, who is more likely to score from the perimeter - Lance, AJ, or Dahntay. Because that's the guy that should be taking the shots. And despite current percentages, I think the coaching staff (and I agree) believe AJ's more likely to do so.

    I mean seriously, ask yourself, would the kid who has been the "hard working professional" young guy...the kid who to this day, in interviews (even when baited) won't say a negative word about Jim O'brien. (That's some major professionalism..) be so uncoachable that if Vogel told him to stop shooting, he wouldn't? Last season, when he was going through his slump, the coaches told him to keep shooting. He gets rewarded with more playing time the more aggressive he is on offense. And it's not like the coaching staff hasn't stopped people from "chucking." (Dahntay, Tyler) I think they recognize what I recognize, which is, on the bench SOMEONE needs to look for their shot. Lance isn't a perimeter shooter, and seems flat out uncomfortable doing that (And I personally think it's more unfair to Lance than it is to AJ to ask Lance to be the #2 option and main perimeter threat). Dahntay would much rather go to the basket. Defenses are giving the bench unit the three point shot. So the bench has to prove that someone can make it.
    Do you really think Lance is incapable of passing the ball to Tyler? Far to often price dribbles the ball and maybe makes a pass on the left side of the court, gets it back then dribbles some more. Lance stands around because that is his job. The ball never comes to his side of the court so Lance just waits. When given the ball Lance penetrates and passes the ball to open guys. With your argument wouldn't AJ be the one you want standing in the corner waiting to shoot? Way to often AJ takes a three-point shot because he was incapable of making anything else happen. He either shoots early, or runs out the shot clock accomplishes nothing and then gets an excuse to throw up another shot. While I am not a big fan of DJ, he has been shooting at least as well as AJ this season.

    I also say if George Hill can't play PG, which i think he can, why is he even on this team. GH is to short to be a full time shooting guard. Lance brings what GH lacks in size and passing ability(that is why i feel they fit well together). GH brings what Lance lacks in the shooting department. They both are good defenders.

    Forget about Lance, What about the time since GH was injured do you feel improved about this team. What has AJ done to earn anything? Why do you feel AJ should take George Hills minutes at point guard?

    I want to see either Danny or PG on the floor when either Lance or DJ plays(theres your shooter). I see Danny and PG minutes being staggered some and I think ultimately the team wants this as well.

  22. #67
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the egg timer substitutions - during the regular season that is the way I would do it if I were coach. That is the best way to build a bench, there is a reason why Carlisle almost always has one of the best benches in the NBA. The regular season is building towards the playoffs. Sort of like in school, the regular season games are quizzes the playoffs are final exams.

    the criticism is interesting though
    In general I agree with you, it let's players know what to expect and how to produce.

    However there are occasions that this should not be held to like religious dogma either.

    If a player (ie. Danny in the first quarter) is hot then ride it till they don't produce or you see that they are physically wearing down then make the move.

    Same thing happens on the opposite side. If a player makes 3 or 4 mistakes in a row it may be best to get them out of the game until they can calm down or if a player picks up a couple of quick fouls.

    But overall, yes the egg timer is logical.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  23. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,024

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you feel AJ should take George Hills minutes at point guard?
    Pretty simple, becuase a line-up of Price, Hill, Jones, Hansbrough, and Foster/Admundson is better than a line-up of Hill, Lance, Jones, Hansbrough, and Foster/Admundson. What do you not get about basketball that makes you believe it is better to put the worse of two line-ups out there?

  24. #69
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty simple, becuase a line-up of Price, Hill, Jones, Hansbrough, and Foster/Admundson is better than a line-up of Hill, Lance, Jones, Hansbrough, and Foster/Admundson. What do you not get about basketball that makes you believe it is better to put the worse of two line-ups out there?
    GH+Lance is far, far better than AP+GH on defense, offense is debatable(is it it the 10% of the time AJ gets hot). What don't you understand about simple communication that makes you think insults are necessary?

    The 5 person lineup is kinda silly. I want George or Danny on the floor at all times. They are being staggered a bit now and I expect that to continue. DC,PG,DJ,?,? and GH,LS,DG,?,? is what I hope to see most of the time(since they don't play PG at SF). Lance will have limited minutes since DG+PG and GH+PG will play together as well. I don't expect Lance to get a ton of minutes this season, he was only getting like 6 before GH was injured.

    I would like to see Lance get the minutes GH has spent next to DC, however those could just as easily be taken by PG.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-13-2012 at 07:01 PM.

  25. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,024

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GH+Lance is far, far better than AP+GH on defense, offense is debatable(is it it the 10% of the time AJ gets hot). What don't you understand about simple communication that makes you think insults are necessary?

    The 5 person lineup is kinda silly. I wan't George or Danny on the floor at all times. They are being staggered a bit now and I expect that to continue. DC,PG,DJ,?,? and GH,LS,DG,?,? is what hope to see most of the time(since they don't play PG at SF).
    I have no idea what insult you are talking about?

  26. #71

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GH+Lance is far, far better than AP+GH on defense, offense is debatable(is it it the 10% of the time AJ gets hot). What don't you understand about simple communication that makes you think insults are necessary?
    No it's not, and it's not even close. AJ is actually a very good defender, and GH, although has a harder time against SG's is one of the best on the team. Lance, he tries hard..but not so much.

    Go back and look at the Charlotte and Boston games (especially Charlotte) AJ and GH were like buzzsaw's on defense.

  27. #72

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you really think Lance is incapable of passing the ball to Tyler? Far to often price dribbles the ball and maybe makes a pass on the left side of the court, gets it back then dribbles some more. Lance stands around because that is his job. The ball never comes to his side of the court so Lance just waits. When given the ball Lance penetrates and passes the ball to open guys. With your argument wouldn't AJ be the one you want standing in the corner waiting to shoot? Way to often AJ takes a three-point shot because he was incapable of making anything else happen. He either shoots early, or runs out the shot clock accomplishes nothing and then gets an excuse to throw up another shot. While I am not a big fan of DJ, he has been shooting at least as well as AJ this season.

    I also say if George Hill can't play PG, which i think he can, why is he even on this team. GH is to short to be a full time shooting guard. Lance brings what GH lacks in size and passing ability(that is why i feel they fit well together). GH brings what Lance lacks in the shooting department. They both are good defenders.

    Forget about Lance, What about the time since GH was injured do you feel improved about this team. What has AJ done to earn anything? Why do you feel AJ should take George Hills minutes at point guard?

    I want to see either Danny or PG on the floor when either Lance or DJ plays(theres your shooter). I see Danny and PG minutes being staggered some and I think ultimately the team wants this as well.


    My point. Without question, our bench's best run came with a lineup of Price, Hill, Dahntay, Tyler, Foster. It's not arguable. That was when our bench looked the best. For the obvious reason that in this lineup, we aren't asking an SG to be both a PG and an SG, or asking a PG to be both a PG and an SG. Because Lance just isn't NBA ready, at either position. Good for him for putting in the effort and energy he's putting in. It is having a positive benefit to the team. But the fact that he can't play either position adequately hurts the team more than his energy and effort helps it.

    So at the end of the day, whether you like AJ or not - and whether you realize what he's doing on the floor or not - he's an actual point guard. And GH, despite struggling on defense a little bit at the SG spot, is a pretty good backup SG. Having one player have to play both positions just doesn't work offensively, and hurts the bench production.

    So we have, AJ and Lance not really working out on the perimeter. GH and Lance not working out on the perimeter. But AJ and GH did work out well on the perimeter. Hmm...I wonder which one is the best choice.

    The other stuff, AJ's not flashy, but he's always been effective. And that bothers some people. But rest assured he's doing more than simply pounding the ball until the end of the shot clock. (In fact, he's doing the same freaking thing on EVERY half court possession. Trying to get the ball to Tyler. And AJ's always been the type of player that would patiently wait for the right angle.)
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-13-2012 at 07:17 PM.

  28. #73
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No it's not, and it's not even close. AJ is actually a very good defender, and GH, although has a harder time against SG's is one of the best on the team. Lance, he tries hard..but not so much.

    Go back and look at the Charlotte and Boston games (especially Charlotte) AJ and GH were like buzzsaw's on defense.
    I like George hill but if he isn't playing PG, he is just another talented undersized SG. Can he defend some shooting guards, sure. Boston forced Lance onto the floor with Petrius. New Jersey forced Lance onto the floor by posting GH and/or DC whenever they were on the floor. I simply am not a fan of having both our shooting guard and point guard being shorter than me. Occasoinally, GH is just fine at the 2 but that shouldn't be his primary position.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-13-2012 at 07:28 PM.

  29. #74
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what insult you are talking about?
    Most your posts contain some disrespectful shot in them.

    example: "What do you not get about basketball"

    While I am not insulted and really don't care, these additions do have the tendency of leading me to make certain assumptions as to your personality.

  30. #75

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point. Without question, our bench's best run came with a lineup of Price, Hill, Dahntay, Tyler, Foster. It's not arguable. That was when our bench looked the best. For the obvious reason that in this lineup, we aren't asking an SG to be both a PG and an SG, or asking a PG to be both a PG and an SG. Because Lance just isn't NBA ready, at either position. Good for him for putting in the effort and energy he's putting in. It is having a positive benefit to the team. But the fact that he can't play either position adequately hurts the team more than his energy and effort helps it.

    So at the end of the day, whether you like AJ or not - and whether you realize what he's doing on the floor or not - he's an actual point guard. And GH, despite struggling on defense a little bit at the SG spot, is a pretty good backup SG. Having one player have to play both positions just doesn't work offensively, and hurts the bench production.

    So we have, AJ and Lance not really working out on the perimeter. GH and Lance not working out on the perimeter. But AJ and GH did work out well on the perimeter. Hmm...I wonder which one is the best choice.

    The other stuff, AJ's not flashy, but he's always been effective. And that bothers some people. But rest assured he's doing more than simply pounding the ball until the end of the shot clock. (In fact, he's doing the same freaking thing on EVERY half court possession. Trying to get the ball to Tyler. And AJ's always been the type of player that would patiently wait for the right angle.)
    You keep throwing out things that you can not back up as fact. You say our bench was more productive when Hill and Price were with the second unit. That has hardly even happened all year. Before Hill was hurt it was Hill and Lance playing together and Price was getting no time. So if you are going to belittle someone else actually have some sort of fact to back it up. One game is not fact so don't throw that out there. Lance and Hill actually shared the ball and played well together. Someone mentioned Price playing one side of the floor and he is exactly right. He said Lance would be standing in the corner as he was told and that is exactly what happened because they were running plays for Hansbrough. So don't assume that he can't play because he is doing exactly what he is told. If you cannot see the difference in the ability of Lance and AJ then you are the one not understanding anything that is going on out there on the floor.

Similar Threads

  1. Odd thoughts round 2 game 6....
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 06:37 PM
  2. Odd thoughts round 2 real game 4.....
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 09:12 PM
  3. Random Game 2 Thoughts from our seats at the FleetCenter...
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
  4. Thoughts About Next Year
    By Los Angeles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 06:35 PM
  5. Odd thoughts about a pier 6 brawl......
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 07:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •