Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

Ok, surprise I got my computer back tonight so I am going to go ahead and try and put one of these together.

I will be honest with you I really don’t want to do this as I don’t want to come across as being nothing but negative, but frankly I don’t know what else to be after tonight.

Yes we were on another back to back, yes we were tired, and yes we were missing George Hill and Jeff Foster.

None of that really matters. We’ve played 27 games this was Denver’s 28th. While we are missing a backup center and a backup combo guard they were missing their starting forwards as Gallinari missed the entire game and Nene missed the second half.

Honestly the last time the team played a good game was in Dallas and every since then even in the games they have won they have looked very shaky at best in playing.

I wish I could put my finger exactly on what is going on because in all honesty I don’t know. I would start at the defensive end as it just seems like our defensive play has slacked off and IMO a lot of that is being done on the perimeter. Earlier in the season we were getting a lot of ball deflections and even when we weren’t stealing the ball or changing possessions we were causing the opponents to get set up in their offense late in the shot clock often times either forcing a shot clock violation or causing a very poor shot to be hoisted up. This just doesn’t seem to be happening nearly as much lately. Also I’ve noticed that teams are now forcing Roy to the top of the key and sometimes beyond on the pick and roll and thus leaving the lane uncovered for what is now becoming an easy lay up at the rim.

Also on our offensive sets it seems we are starting to take more and more jump shots and it seems like our ability to work the ball into the post in the lane is waning. Now some of that is going to just be natural with teams adjusting their defense. But some of it is quick perimeter jumpers.

The worst part about all of this is that we have Miami staring at us on Tuesday night and while it is not a guaranteed loss, it will not be a walk in the park either.

Also while I’m at it I am going to do something I am loath to do, but I am going to criticize Frank Vogel for a couple of things. First and foremost he has got to stop letting other teams get such big runs before he calls a time out. I believe Denver went on a 10 point run before he made the first time out; he did this vs. Utah as well. Look I know both sides of this argument. There is the Rick Carlisle thinking that any time a team scored 2 unanswered baskets Rick was calling a time out (Ok that is a slight exaggeration but you get my point) and then there is the Larry Brown let the players play through it thinking. I’m not sure there is an absolute right way to do it, but I think we wait to long to make adjustments. Also when they have a 15 point turn around I would not only call time out after time out to get it stopped I would change out every player on the floor if it was necessary (again exaggeration but you get my point)
    Second while I certainly understand the egg timer substitutions and mostly agree with it, there are times you have to turn off the timer. Granger was on fire at the end of the first. Why not let him play into the second to see if he is still going and then take him out. Not bench him, sit him for 20 min. of real time and then put him back in cold.

Like I said I hate to say anything about him but I can’t help but think that these two things tonight contributed to this loss.

Let’s just do grades for tonight, although I’ll warn you now it won’t be pretty.

Danny Granger: C Could have been much higher, but 5 turnovers and only 2 rebounds tends to drag your grade down when the team loses. Cory Brewer also looked like Bernard King for awhile tonight and while I don’t say Danny played horrid defense like some will, I won’t say he played good defense either. As he walked off of the court tonight he threw his towel hard into his seat and he looked very mad. I’m not sure about what either, and then I read that he refused to talk to the media. Don’t know what happened there.

David West: B Very efficient offensive game, good rebounding numbers. Had a bonehead pass to kill any chance of a comeback but I’ll give him a pass here because without his offensive plays we wouldn’t have had a chance anyway. However when Roy is out of position, which is happening more and more, David’s lack of lateral quickness is becoming more and more of a liability. Guards get beat, it happens to the best of them, so somebody has to step up and often times it is the power forward that has to do this. David is not doing it. I don’t know if he can’t or just doesn’t.

Roy Hibbert: D I’m being generous with the D btw. In the second half of this game he was outplayed by Kosta Kofous, yes I’ll say that again he was outplayed by Kosta Kofous. Roy you so far have had a great season, an all-star season but these past few games you have put in some old Roy Hibbert type games. I am just going to go pray that this is because you are tired and need some time off and that this isn’t the annual drop in production that you have suffered in the past. BTW his stats tonight were worthless because if you look at them you will think he had an ok game, he did not. He was horrid; in fact we would have been much better off with West and Hansbrough.

Paul George: C- Don’t let his final point on the board fool you. He did not have a good game either and if it wasn’t for hitting 3 three’s in the 4th he would have had a miserable game on the offensive end. His defense wasn’t hideous, which is what is saving him from a Roy like grade, but there were times where Arron Afflalo looked like Dwayne Wade cutting past him. I do appreciate the fact that he does get on the boards though. But I don’t like the fact that he only got to the line twice, which just tells me he wasn’t driving nearly enough.

Darren Collison: C- I’m probably being to gentle here as well. Yes he did a very good job in the first half at running the offense and yes in the 4th quarter he started running a good pick and roll with West. But my God his defense on Lawson was just embarrassing. I mean its one thing to let your man get past you once or twice but the entire game? Lawson was not only able to get into the lane he was able to get wherever he wanted whenever he wanted. Yea, I’ll stick with the C- but it felt worse than that.

Tyler Hansbrough: C+ Honestly we should have seen more Tyler tonight. He wasn’t as active maybe as you would like early on but just before he was taken out he was really down in the paint battling. I wish he would have gone to the rim more tonight because I have a feeling they would have fouled him. In fact it is a crime we only got him 3 shots which is troubling to me as it does seem that we have gone away from the interior smash mouth basketball we were playing at the beginning of the year. Roy was dead in this game so I think Tyler only playing 17 min. was a mistake.

Lance Stephenson: B+ If only he had a jump shot. He was about the only player tonight who I was certain of who had a pulse on our team. He had a couple of great steals and a terrific rebound off of a missed free throw for a put back. Also he had a pass to Dahntay Jones that was eye popping. He is still young and still has inconsistent games but I really like where I think he is headed.

A.J. Price: B+ Yes he shot too much, it just so happened tonight he actually hit some of his shots. However that is not what merits him the high grade. He along with Lance provided a spark of life in what was a lifeless team in the 2nd & 3rd quarters. He played fairly decent defense as well. In fact he did a better job on Lawson than Collison did.

Dahntay Jones: C Was still in control, which I’m about to quit even mentioning anymore as this hasn’t been a problem since the second week of the season. But he did miss some shots tonight that he really needed to hit. But then again you can say that about everybody on our team tonight (minus David West). He is still a good free throw shooter and got to the line as many times as Paul did (one was shot for a T but that is why I’m saying he shot as many and not more).

Lou Amundson: C- He was a human foul magnate tonight but he still played better defense than Roy. Oh how I wish he would not have missed that dunk, that would have been epic. But he did so it just looked bad. Not going to spend a lot of time on him because he really didn’t play that much.

I am not panicking by any means; I mean it’s just a three game (probably going to be a four game) losing streak. But I really am starting to be concerned, we just have not looked right for several games now.

Here this is what George Karl had to say about this game.

"We won the game because we had more effort and energy." - Denver Coach George Karl

I don’t know about you guys but that bothers me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd Thoughts: Battered by Gold Dust

Really worried about this team in general, but specifically Roy. You mentioned that we haven't have a particularly good game since Dallas. I'm wondering if the fact that they beat the defending champs as well as getting recognition with PG and Roy going to Orlando has done them more good than bad. I just think they kind of are almost too high on themselves and just think they can win without trying or something. Anyways I hope Vogel or somebody gives them a good talking to or something, because this team is too good to start losing on a regular basis.

Comment

We need to play to our strengths, which are: pound the ball inside, attack the rim, get fouled, make free throws, grab offensive boards. As far as I can tell, we haven't really been doing that lately.

They also need to work harder to get Hibbert the ball in good position. Posting up 20 feet away from the basket isn't gonna do it. It's the perfect way to get the big fella tired without much result (except for turnovers and missed shots).
      Last edited by Pingu; 02-12-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

I just paraphrase what I said from the other post game thread.

This team needs to recommit to playing scrappy defense. They have been so focused on trying to play offense, and who scores, and how they score. They have lost the overall team focus. That's being a smash mouth defensive team. I would have put Lawson on his *** the first time he drove and jumped into me.

I agree with you, they just aren't getting deflections and steals. Nor are they getting O-rebounds.

I remember just a couple weeks ago Danny Granger making a bone headed turn over and making up for it immediately on the other end with a steal or a block. Tonight he had some terrible pass where he over shot Hibbert and Denver was off to the races. Danny trailed the play and looked like he was in position to block that shot. Instead he sagged off just a step once the ball handler was going to be partially challenged in the paint. BUT it was his stop to make if he wanted it.

They just gotta recommit to stingy tough D.

They aren't going to out score Miami. So they better out Defend them. You look at what this team did eariler in the year and it was all about Defense. The Lakers, The Warriors, The Bulls, The Mavericks...
        Last edited by graphic-er; 02-12-2012, 02:54 AM.
        You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

I didn't think we looked THAT bad. We shot better from the field, the 3, and the free throw line. And we had 8 more assists. We lost because of transition defense, turnovers and rebounds. But mainly turnovers. We just need to keep our heads in the game.

I suspect the up tempo contributed to the high turnovers. We weren't playing our game. But any time we shoot over 50%, I'm not going to feel too bad about how we played.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            I didn't think we looked THAT bad. We shot better from the field, the 3, and the free throw line. And we had 8 more assists. We lost because of transition defense, turnovers and rebounds. But mainly turnovers. We just need to keep our heads in the game.

I suspect the up tempo contributed to the high turnovers. We weren't playing our game. But any time we shoot over 50%, I'm not going to feel too bad about how we played.
            We weren't smashing mouths.
            You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post

Honestly our team is not built that way. We are not a high octane offensive machine, we are a grind it out beat you down defensive unit. At least we used to be, now our offense seems a little smoother but our defense seems to have collapsed.

Shooting over 50% just doesn't do it for me if I know the opponet is shooting more often and getting to the line more. Remember when we used to out shoot every team from the free throw line? Denver made more than we even attempted in that game. Some of it may be the refs. but I'm saying most of it is the fact that we have become a soft jump shooting team.

I guess asking for Paul George to be more of an offensive weapon may have come with the price that we don't ram it down the other teams neck anymore. Paul drives on occasion but both he and Danny have been pulling up for jumpers of late as well.

Need to get back to what got us here IMO.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                Honestly our team is not built that way. We are not a high octane offensive machine, we are a grind it out beat you down defensive unit. At least we used to be, now our offense seems a little smoother but our defense seems to have collapsed.

Shooting over 50% just doesn't do it for me if I know the opponet is shooting more often and getting to the line more. Remember when we used to out shoot every team from the free throw line? Denver made more than we even attempted in that game. Some of it may be the refs. but I'm saying most of it is the fact that we have become a soft jump shooting team.

I guess asking for Paul George to be more of an offensive weapon may have come with the price that we don't ram it down the other teams neck anymore. Paul drives on occasion but both he and Danny have been pulling up for jumpers of late as well.

Need to get back to what got us here IMO.
                I totally agree that we didn't play our game. We needed to slow the pace and make them play half court ball. Make them play against their strength.

But it looked like we either didn't know how to do that or weren't able to. We tried to have a shoot out with the highest scoring team in the league and we lost.

But I can live with that. We're a young team. Apparently controlling the tempo isn't something we know how to do. So the coaches have some work to do.

But at no time did I think we looked awful tonight. And without a few key turnovers there would be banana's dancing about our high powered offense.

Comment

I see a couple of things that are disturbing.

One, With each passing game, it seems like our opponent is being allowed to run more and more. Our guards appear to be scoring more, but I think they are also driving the ball more. IMO, we are not defensively compensating for this action, and it is leading to more breaks by our opponents. We then find ourselves momentarily mismatched with our non-guards trying to help contain quicker players in transition.

Two, I think we are settling for way too many perimeter jump shots. None of us complained when Granger and George were hitting the 3, but when it's not goig in, that is a different story.

I think we need to get back to a primarily inside-out offense, as opposed to taking so many first opportunity jumpers. Part of the reason this has happened is that Roy is unable/unwilling to establish proper low-post, or our timing has just sucked in getting him the ball often enough when he does have position.

I think that some of this lack of success could be alleviated by a greater use of DWest in low post sets. DWest obviously has an excellent PnP/PnR and mid-range game going right now, and he has also been very successful posting up. I think we should make good use of his current success and take some of the post pressure off of Roy. We will need to conserve a bit as the season progresses and not just continue to wear him down.

Comment

Good post... I'll add that the demeanor and body language has changed from some of the players. All the defensive breakdowns and the low effort is really disturbing to me because it looks like it's a lack of focus. I'm hoping Danny's mad because Frank ripped them a new one... they deserve it.

Love Karl's comment too. He's a hell of a coach. Hopefully the players and Vogel use it as motivation.

Comment

Good point on the demeanor. I brought it up back in the Griz post-game thread, and it's really plagued us since the ORL game last Sat. night.

You could blame the compressed schedule, except that's essentially a mutual disadvantage for everyone. I can see a game or two here or there where you're flat, but this is a 5 game run (I'm including Utah where we had good, but also awful stretches) where your body language communicates lethargy, lack of focus, and the team identify (style of play) is nowhere to be found.

Miami is going to require a monumental defensive effort unless they are all cold. The type of D we played early on. Good test at this point. If they blow us out again (at home this time) my concern level will move up another level.

Peck, great point on West's lack of lateral quickness and how it takes away from our D. I'm glad to see his offensive game possibly stabilizing. No doubt we need it, but we have to find a way to compensate for his limited athleticism. He's also slow up and down the court and has had games where he has good post position, but just can't get enough elevation to take advantage. Hopefully, this last thing is still improving as he recuperates from the injury. But, if there's one achilles heal with him, that will be it - the athletic limitations. If we had another long/athletic big to pair with he and Roy, who has some similar issues, it would really help.

Personally, still think we need another impact addition to the team. I'm open right now to any of the following - spot-up shooting specialist, instant offense wing, strong, athletic 4 or 5 (or hybrid), floor general, pass first, defensive minded PG.
                      Last edited by D-BONE; 02-12-2012, 09:18 AM.
                      I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                        The worst part about all of this is that we have Miami staring at us on Tuesday night and while it is not a guaranteed loss, it will not be a walk in the park either.

I am considering the Miami game a must win with no excuses.

We have lost 3 in a row and will have 3 days rest after playing at home and Miami will be playing it's 3rd game in 3 nights on the road.

If we can't beat Miami at home under these circumstances then the Pacers are not one of the top teams in the East.

Comment

Interesting game to say the least, I had the best seats I've ever had. I was in section 5, 1st row behind the broadcasters rocking the Roy Hibbert All Star jersey. It was a very interesting experience being so close, hearing the players communicate, etc.

Everytime Lance checked in I was shouting "MVP" which as Peck said, he was essentially our MVP tonight.

Hansbrough seems absolutely and utterly dejected. The guy was hanging his head on the way back through the tunnel at the half and at the end of the game. Hansbrough was the ONLY player who wouldn't shake anybodys hand. Kudos to Lance, Dahntay, Paul George, and Hibbert for all being friendly with the fans even after the tough loss...these little things are important to the fans and this team needs all the help they can get. I have officially jumped off the Hansbrough bandwagon, seems he has an attitude issue right now and I will be absolutely thrilled for him to prove me wrong soon.

Lance needs 25 minutes a game, every single night...rain or shine. This guys passing continues to amaze me, the pass to D. Jones got quite a few people excited. His breakaway dunk was so nice to see...it was one of those plays that got his confidence going, which ended up leading to a great night for him.

Lou's alley oop dunk attempt was an absolute joke...GRAB IT AND LAY IT IN!!! We go to overtime tonight if Lou doesn't try to pretend to be Blake Griffin...there was no way he was going to hit that dunk and to throw it down with such extra force essentially guarantees the miss.

Foster/Hill are critically important to this team...and that is kind of scary. This team is coming back down to reality and I am worried the wheels are going to fall off if Miami has their way with us. I'll be at the Miami game also, really hope the boys can right this ship.

My extended family who consists of basically casual fans are just about to jump on board...a large group of us were at the game last night and I am certain a loss on Tuesday will probably have a lot of these casual fans "tuning back out."
                          *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Comment

One thing about our offense that was more apparent than ever last night is that our tempo hurts our percentages. In order to have a good half court offense you need two shooters (George and Danny when consistent), a play-maker (No one), and a post option (David or Roy even though Roy needs to be on his A-game)... Until we are good enough to use a half court offense at all times, we need to adjust and run a little bit more.

But even then I don't know how that would work because Darren slows things down every single time and can't take advantage of transition.

Comment

Originally posted by BringJackBack View Post
                              One thing about our offense that was more apparent than ever last night is that our tempo hurts our percentages. In order to have a good half court offense you need two shooters (George and Danny when consistent), a play-maker (No one), and a post option (David or Roy even though Roy needs to be on his A-game)... Until we are good enough to use a half court offense at all times, we need to adjust and run a little bit more.

But even then I don't know how that would work because Darren slows things down every single time and can't take advantage of transition.
                              I disagree. Vogel has already asked the team to run more. One of the players mentioned it in a post game last week, I can't remember who. But I could definitely see the change in focus over the past week. We are focusing on running more (not our strength) and as a consequence our focus on tough d and physical play (which is our strength) has gone down. This is why were losing. Bring back the smashmouth!

Comment

Working...
                              X