Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

  1. #1
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,410

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Is it coaching? Personnel? Bad luck? I am getting sick and tired of 3-1 fast breaks not producing points

  2. #2
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Because players who think "score first" are always leading the break (DC, DG, GH), even though they have players open and available for passes and alley-oops (PG particularly). If we got used to running the 3-on-1 fast break, and practicing alley-oops, we'd be much better off. I know we're good with them, but there are so many times I watch Granger or Collison take the ball all the way coast-to-coast, just to miss the shot, when they could have made one good pass and not sacrificed a shot by being selfish.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,496

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because players who think "score first" are always leading the break (DC, DG, GH), even though they have players open and available for passes and alley-oops (PG particularly). If we got used to running the 3-on-1 fast break, and practicing alley-oops, we'd be much better off. I know we're good with them, but there are so many times I watch Granger or Collison take the ball all the way coast-to-coast, just to miss the shot, when they could have made one good pass and not sacrificed a shot by being selfish.
    Let me guess, if Paul George was leading the break (which sometimes he does) he looks to facilitate offense instead of getting his own shot.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  5. #4
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,824

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    This is a long answer. So to avoid so much verbage, I'll simplify it to...
    a) we don't have any traditional fast break leaders (passing/dribbling/ timing/decision making)
    b) we look clueless about philosophy and technique for running & we don't often run together (too often one guy bolting ahead with the dribble, but nobody running with him; or conversely open guys ahead but one guy in the backcourt trying to advance of dribble)
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  7. #5

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Few things:

    Bad spacing - we're running into each other instead filling different lanes. I also notice the ball handlers not always dribbling to the middle of the court. This is something I learned in AAU when I was 12.

    Running - simply not running hard enough

    Passing - I don't have faith in anyone but Lance to make an accurate pass. Darren wants to dribble the entire length of the court instead of doing what Denver does, and advance the damn ball. He missed Granger twice. Of course Granger looked like he was jogging so...

    Scheme - Gotta tip your hat to Karl here. That's a well coached team. Hopefully Vogel uses this film and shows our guys the proper way to run a break.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  9. #6

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me guess, if Paul George was leading the break (which sometimes he does) he looks to facilitate offense instead of getting his own shot.
    Its not a question of Paul George leading the break. Its a question of who should be leading the break. It should be Collison with Hill, Granger, George, Dahntay and others filling the lane. Collison though is horrible at running the break, Granger is a train wreck and George is too indecisive. Hibbert is too slow get the ball out on the break. Collison seems to think he is the break. He is a terrible decision maker and until the Pacers do something about it, they will always be weak in this area.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member MTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Sometimes it's as simple as executing the most simple things - get the ball to the middle of the floor in a ball handler's hands, the guys filling the lanes sprint to the wings and fill the lanes, and when the defender makes a decision to stop the ball or stop someone else, the ball handler must make the right decision - usually one easy pass.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,953

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because players who think "score first" are always leading the break (DC, DG, GH), even though they have players open and available for passes and alley-oops (PG particularly). If we got used to running the 3-on-1 fast break, and practicing alley-oops, we'd be much better off. I know we're good with them, but there are so many times I watch Granger or Collison take the ball all the way coast-to-coast, just to miss the shot, when they could have made one good pass and not sacrificed a shot by being selfish.
    This is part of the problem. We have Granger who isn't known for dishing and a couple young guys in Collison and George who definitely like to shoot. Danny loves to shoot. George likes to get to the rack and dunk. Collison loves to drive and score. That's all good, but we do need one guy who is noticeably more willing to give up the ball. That makes the break function more efficiently.

    The other part is...it's likely we practice half-court a lot more than fast breaks. Maybe nearly exclusively half-court.

  14. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    The funny thing in all this or sad part whatever you want to call it, is that DJ has been probably our best passer on fast breaks.

  15. #10
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,953

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The funny thing in all this or sad part whatever you want to call it, is that DJ has been probably our best passer on fast breaks.
    This does show how bad it is. This team has no play maker or floor general that doesn't already have his finger on the trigger all the time.

  16. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This does show how bad it is. This team has no play maker or floor general that doesn't already have his finger on the trigger all the time.
    Well how many easy shots Denver got yesterday on fast breaks because they actually have a point guard that can see the floor? Andre Miller was passing the ball left and right.

  17. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,641

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    your fast break is always as good as your point guard. Unless you're Miami and capable of just lobbing the ball 10 feet over the defense's head.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,643

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    your fast break is always as good as your point guard.
    Touche.... how true.

  20. #14

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well how many easy shots Denver got yesterday on fast breaks because they actually have a point guard that can see the floor? Andre Miller was passing the ball left and right.
    I think he'd be a good backup for this team even though he's older. Always been one of my favorite PGs.

  21. #15
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The funny thing in all this or sad part whatever you want to call it, is that DJ has been probably our best passer on fast breaks.
    False, Lance is the only guy who makes the right pass on breaks. Dahntay usually does end up scoring on a lot of breaks, but I don't feel he has been the best passer.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  22. #16
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,226

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Few things:

    Bad spacing - we're running into each other instead filling different lanes. I also notice the ball handlers not always dribbling to the middle of the court. This is something I learned in AAU when I was 12.

    Running - simply not running hard enough

    Passing - I don't have faith in anyone but Lance to make an accurate pass. Darren wants to dribble the entire length of the court instead of doing what Denver does, and advance the damn ball. He missed Granger twice. Of course Granger looked like he was jogging so...

    Scheme - Gotta tip your hat to Karl here. That's a well coached team. Hopefully Vogel uses this film and shows our guys the proper way to run a break.
    I'm going with this. Spacing is a main issue. But passing is also an issue. We aren't hitting guys at the right time or completely telegraphing where the pass is going and when it's coming. Lance is our best passer and getting it to guys at the right time.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  23. #17
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,478

    Default Re: why do we struggle on fast breaks?

    Its basketball 101, and it drives me crazy. Fill a lane, get the ball to the middle, jump stop at the FT line. Its Jr High stuff. #1 reason is know how. I know Vogel has to teach them this (as well as every other coach they've had from the beginning.

    So ya, get a pass first point guard and that would do it, if Rondo was here, PGs point total would jump 5 points over night from easy transition buckets he would get.

    PG is the fastest end to end two guard, and doing it the right way, position-wise and intuitively knowing where to be, than anyone I've ever seen, maybe.

    Ya, it drive me crazy, how bad they are. Its just easy buckets being let off the scoreboard.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Andrew Bynum hopes knee holds up against fast Phoenix Suns [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
  2. Pacers' search for talent to focus on PG, PF(Indy star)
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 11:16 AM
  3. Chris Lofton's Struggle with Cancer
    By themayhem87 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
  4. No more fast breaks...ever....really. I'm begging.
    By Naptown_Seth in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
  5. Reggie's Fast Break D is OUTSTANDING!!!
    By ROCislandWarrior in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 01:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •