Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lance Stephenson Making Strides To Help Pacers On The Court

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Lance Stephenson Making Strides To Help Pacers On The Court

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/2/8...s-on-the-court

One silver lining from George Hill's ankle injury is the way reserve guard Lance Stephenson has steadied his game with more minutes in the rotation. Don't get me wrong, he remains a work in progress, but in the past few games there have been far more positive signs emerging from Stephenson's game that he can actually help the Pacers this year.

Plus, there are flashes of absolute brilliance that forces the mind to wander to visions of Stephenson really helping the Pacers in future years. Last night, Stephenson swooped in to snare a rebound off the rim, immediately pushed the ball up the court (well under control, mind you), hesitated and then burst to the lane to finish with a little tear drop.

"My job is to come in, play hard on both ends of the court and try to make things happen," Stephenson said speaking about his role off the bench. But then he went on to talk about the team and winning, not about himself.

The main issue he has to overcome in the short-term is staring at the action off the ball on both defense and offense. He still tends to get caught peeking which can just take a split second to get beat in the NBA. As my friend, Tim Donahue of 8.9 mentioned, Lance could still use a jump shot or perimeter shot of any kind, which is a fair point. Although, I think he can help this year by improving that off-ball defense and then doing everything else he's doing. Now, add a perimeter shot to that game and we're talking Paul George-type burst on the scene impact.

Larry Bird remains patient with Stephenson and the difference pace in his development compared to PG. While speaking with Conrad Brunner and Joe Staysniak on the Grady and Big Joe Show, Bird mentioned the improvements Stephenson has made on and off the court..

"Lance is going through a maturity process and I couldn't more happier for any of my players than Lance," said Bird. "He's completely changed his attitude, the players absolutely adore him now and can't believe he's made the changes he's made and he's continued to get better."

While Bird is happy with Stephenson's development off the court, the Pacers prez remains impressed with Stephenson when he has the ball in his hands.

"On the court his talent is off the charts to me," Bird said. "He's our best passer, he sees the floor better than anybody, he wants to be great and it's just going to take a little bit more time than Paul (George). Paul is a little more athletically inclined to where he can do things and you just go, "Wow!" Lance is more of a, I'll just beat you up, I'll play physical with you. I'll get you down in the post or I'll get rebounds and I'll push the ball up the floor. It's just going to take him more time but I think he's going to be a good one."

Sounds good to me. There's no doubt he sees things on the court others don't which can be a problem when he zips a pass to a teammate that they don't think can made. Maybe his nickname should change from Born Ready to Sixth Sense. Except he sees dimes, not dead people. Like the pass to Lou Amundson at the 35 second mark of this video.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned

Default Re: Lance Stephenson Making Strides To Help Pacers On The Court

Nice to hear that Lance is growing up, his defense has been underrated also.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Above all else, I am just really happy to hear he is a lot more mature. I am just glad it seems like we really turned his life around.

If he puts it together on the court I'll be even happier.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Sixth Cents
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

The thing mentioned about him making a flashy pass to Lou Amundson got me thinking... If Lance got some playing time with the starters that could do a lot for his game. Also him letting the players know to watch out for fancy passes would be nice. If Lance develops an outside shot he could be pretty good. The future is so bright for this team...

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Nice to hear that Lance is growing up, his defense has been underrated also.
    I'm sure someone will pop in here with some ridiculous stat telling me otherwise, but from what I can see he's really been locking people down recently. Besides his maturity, that's what's impressed me the most about his game this year. Night and day compared to last season.

I notice he's learning from his mistakes too. A few games ago he fell asleep on his man at the end of a quarter and gave up a 3. Last night there was an opportunity for him to make the same mistake, but he stayed with his man and contested the shot. That's always a good sign for a young player.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I'm sure someone will pop in here with some ridiculous stat telling me otherwise, but from what I can see he's really been locking people down recently. Besides his maturity, that's what's impressed me the most about his game this year. Night and day compared to last season.

I notice he's learning from his mistakes too. A few games ago he fell asleep on his man at the end of a quarter and gave up a 3. Last night there was an opportunity for him to make the same mistake, but he stayed with his man and contested the shot. That's always a good sign for a young player.
    I think his man to man D has improved, but he'll still lose his man off the ball by watching the action going on. He still makes some rookie mistakes, but I do think his D has improved. That will help him get more time on the court.

I would love to see Lance with the starters. I've seen us go small, with Hans/West playing PF/C. I would love to see us go super tall with a lineup of Lance, PG, DG, West, Hibbs.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure someone will pop in here with some ridiculous stat telling me otherwise
    Stats are only ridiculous when you don't want to agree with them. Strange, no? You can knock the numbers all you want, but when I look at team impact compared to those numbers what I see is very well represented. Lance, and Hansbrough struggle the most on defense. George Hill plays defense well at PG, but struggles on offense. At SG, Hill plays well on offense, but struggles on defense. There are a lot of examples of those stats being pretty spot on with what I see.

Lance is the epitome of people seeing what they want, not always what's there. Reading this post you'd think we were holding down John Stockton by keeping him on the bench after a couple of flashy passes. Then you realize he has more turnovers than assists. I still keep seeing people blame things on his teammates not being ready for his awesome flashy passes, but don't these guys practice together? You'd think after a year+ of practicing with a guy, they'd be ready for it. Maybe ... just maybe, and I'm just spit balling here, something is wrong with Lance's pass, not everyone else. He seems to be the common denominator here.

Sometimes saying anything realistic about Lance here feels like you're bad mouthing the Pope in the middle of a catholic church.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure someone will pop in here with some ridiculous stat telling me otherwise, but from what I can see he's really been locking people down recently.
    http://www.82games.com/1112/11IND4.HTM

When Lance is on the court, the Pacers give up 104.2 points per 100 possessions. When he's on the bench, the Pacers give up 93.9 points per 100 possessions.

When Lance is on the court, the Pacers score 93.9 points per 100 possessions. When he's on the bench, the Pacers score 103.6 points per 10 possessions.

Completely independent of what position he's playing, the Pacers are a net 14.6 points per 100 possessions worse with him on the floor.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    http://www.82games.com/1112/11IND4.HTM

When Lance is on the court, the Pacers give up 104.2 points per 100 possessions. When he's on the bench, the Pacers give up 93.9 points per 100 possessions.

When Lance is on the court, the Pacers score 93.9 points per 100 possessions. When he's on the bench, the Pacers score 103.6 points per 10 possessions.

Completely independent of what position he's playing, the Pacers are a net 14.6 points per 100 possessions worse with him on the floor.
    Haha, he also just so happens to be on the court when Kobe Jones is our best scorer and defender on the floor.. Hope he gets more time with Granger, PG and Hibbert soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Haha, he also just so happens to be on the court when Kobe Jones is our best scorer and defender on the floor.. Hope he gets more time with Granger, PG and Hibbert soon.
    Why would you hope for that? Why are we so worried about developing one player in a season when we are one of the best teams in the conference?

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

Lance is the epitome of people seeing what they want, not always what's there. Reading this post you'd think we were holding down John Stockton by keeping him on the bench after a couple of flashy passes. Then you realize he has more turnovers than assists.
    Lance actually has one more assist than turnovers (25 assists, 24 TOs)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

He hasn't embarrassed off the court, so that's good.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance is a project, that's all this article is saying. He's a project that's making progress. If Bird sees something, then I trust him more than I trust some knuckleheads on a messageboard. If Bird is happy with his progress, then that's saying something. He's not achieved what Bird sees in him yet, but that doesn't mean he can't. We're not in a hurry, so let's just sit back and see what happens. He's a 2nd-rounder, pretty amazing he's still around.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Lance actually has one more assist than turnovers (25 assists, 24 TOs)
    22 assists, and 23 turnovers.

billbradley

Why would you hope for that? Why are we so worried about developing one player in a season when we are one of the best teams in the conference?
    I thought he meant he hoped Lance is good enough to be a starter soon. Shouldn't we all want that?

Mood

For as much as you **** on DC, I would've thought you'd be salivating at the thought of developing a guy like Lance to eventually become the starting PG.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    For as much as you **** on DC, I would've thought you'd be salivating at the thought of developing a guy like Lance to eventually become the starting PG.
    I don't see Lance as a PG. At all.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

So he can have some playing time alongside the better players on our team.. he's got a load of potential so I don't see why it would hurt the lineup if he played a few more mins with starters who can score around him and maybe put DC with the reserve group a couple more mins, where he can do his scoring.. I don't want lance starting over DC at all, I just want them to expand in their roles a little.. DC is a scoring PG, why not have him in with the lineup that doesn't have good scorers in it? Lance is a passer, why not put him in with the scorers? Unless they prove they can't get it done in those roles I think they should at least give it a shot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see Lance as a PG. He's got some work to do though.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It really doesn't matter to me because Lance is talented enough to develop into a guy that can have an impact on the game. Much like Hill he will be able to hold down the point and make plays for himself and others so no he won't be a starter but he won't be terrible at it either.

The best thing of all is that Lance is signed for 2 more years and we will have the option to sign him to a "reasonable extension" when he has developed more. That makes me feel that we got a steal in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I could see Lance as a PG in the same way that I see George Hill as a point guard, which is to say he is not a point guard.

However, the one thing Hill has that Lance does not, is the fact that I would probably not beat George Hill in a game of horse just by shooting 3s.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stephenson has way more PG skills than GHill. I can see how you might see he's not quite an NBA PG at the moment, but I don't see how you can say he doesn't have the capability to be one. His vision, passing, ball-handling are all there, his ability to bring the ball up the court.... he just needs to get better at setting up the half-court offense and looking to pass instead of score, and he's an NBA PG.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Lance is very good at getting the ball and accelerating up the court with it. That is a lot different than setting up an offense though.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's why I said he needs to improve it, lol.... but I think he's capable of learning to do that.