Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons: Not high on Roy

Default Re: Bill Simmons: Not high on Roy

I can definitely see why he thought that about Roy if the Magic game is his sampling size.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a reason he only plays 30 mpg, he'd be dead legs, especially on back-to-backs, and I think his real numbers would suffer, its easy to say he could average this if he played 36 mpg, but generally there's a reason the player doesn't play those types of minutes.
    this.

Roy's weakness has always been his stamina. He's made great strides to that effect, but you'd have to have your head 2,000 feet deep in the sand to make a case that he'd be putting up much better numbers with more minutes.

"running him ragged" seems to be a backhanded way of being petty about Gasol's numbers being better in part because he's capable of sustaining a bigger workload.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I believe the negative reaction to Simmons statement is pretty simple.... He's says having Roy as a reserve is a FARCE. Kind of strectch don't think? You can agrue for someone else but a farce selection? I don't think so.
    I'm confused. How can you say that Simmons thinks Hibbert's selection is a farce when HE PUT HIM ON HIS TEAM!?!?

Sports Logo

except for the part that the Pacers probably had to be represented with one guy. I blame Danny Granger for sucking this season. That was your spot, Danny. You gave it away.
    Dude's pretty funny

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Fixed.

Roy is being penalized for "only" playing 30.2 mpg, which somewhat limits his production. If we were running him ragged, like they're doing to Marc Gasol in Memphis, he'd be averaging 17 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 2.3 blocks, and 2.2 assists, and this whole "debate" would be laughable.

Roy has been the best player, by far, on one of the Conference's best teams, and he's done it at the most critical position in basketball. He's earned his All-Star spot. Shame on those who disagree.
    He hasn't been the best player on our team (nor by far). Though this is a more subjective point than the one you raise about production.

The advanced metrics don't back up this point. Roy plays 30.2 mpg and has a usage rate of 22.6% in those minutes. Marc Gasol plays 37.8 and has a usage rate of 18.3% in those minutes. Put otherwise, Gasol plays more minutes but, factoring in offensive plays, is involved in a virtually equivalent number of plays. Despite this, not only are Gasol's numbers better, we can safely speculate that he would produce better than Roy if he played 8 less minutes and was involved in approximately 4% more of the offensive plays called.

This is all besides the point, however. Roy is an above-average starter and has been crucial to our success. He is not, however, a top 25 player in the NBA. I'm not even sure he is one of the ten best big men in the NBA (counting guys who can play both PF and C, like Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol).

I think Roy deserves a spot on the team, given he's stepped up when the Pacers have needed him the most this season. He's been a beneficiary of circumstances as well, but someone from the Pacers needed to go, and Roy was the most deserving.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I'm confused. How can you say that Simmons thinks Hibbert's selection is a farce when HE PUT HIM ON HIS TEAM!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmons
    It's a total farce to put him on this team …
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Simmons is being overly harsh on Hibbert. Roy absolutely deserves to be on the team, I haven't seen any one else say he doesn't. Is he Dwight Howard? No, but guess what, there is only one.

And I disagree on the if Danny wasn't sucking, Roy wouldn't be there. Roy would be there regardless. Danny would have made it over Deng or Pierce.

Mood

Everyone with a brain: Not high on Bill Simmons

We've played the Celtics three times so Simmons has seen Roy play at least 4 times this year and I'm guessing even more.

On the conditioning: I know Roy has some sort of exercise induced asthma. I have no idea if that's affecting his minutes or not, but it could be.

Roy is definitely benefiting from a lot of things this year, but he's also having a pretty damn good year.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    1. Seriously, what's up with that kid's face?
    2. I shudder to think of the parenting involved if that was, in fact, intentional on the kid's part to flip the Vogel.
    He's a Boston fan. 'Nuff said.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    We've played the Celtics three times so Simmons has seen Roy play at least 4 times this year and I'm guessing even more.

On the conditioning: I know Roy has some sort of exercise induced asthma. I have no idea if that's affecting his minutes or not, but it could be.

Roy is definitely benefiting from a lot of things this year, but he's also having a pretty damn good year.
    Roy uses some sort of inhaler pre-game now, believe that started two (?) years ago. I'd assumed that made the asthma a non-factor. He's just a giant of a man that's had different demands put on him on what his body should be like.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Roy uses some sort of inhaler pre-game now, believe that started two (?) years ago. I'd assumed that made the asthma a non-factor. He's just a giant of a man that's had different demands put on him on what his body should be like.
    I definitely agree. I had/have no idea how much the inhaler helps, though.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

To me it's just Bill Simmons' perspective on what the All-Star game is compared to what Kenny, Shaq, and Barkley think (And majority of us)...

Simmons thinks that the All-Star game is a pickup game where the most electrifying players should make the team. He thinks of it as a pro-bowl.

Now, that doesn't mean that the trio thinks that the All-Star game is an honor or a very important event... But they like to award the best players in the league and they think that it is important that good players with success make it over fun players who can throw an alley-oop off of the backboard such as John Wall, perhaps.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 02-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Sports Logo

when Roy's dropping no look back to the rim bounce passes to every cutter in the game on his way to double digit assists I bet Simmons gets excited

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Simmons seems to have complete knowledge of the top 8 teams. He could give a thorough assessment of those organizations, how they match up with each other, etc. Then he has solid knowledge of the next 8--the remainder of the playoff teams. The rest of the league after that is knowledge he gets from highlights or catching the occasional game against the top 8 on tv.

Since the Pacers have just recently become relevant, he is still slowly trying to get a read on them and using old prior assessments when referencing the team. I'm sure very few will agree with this, but watch his columns--very deep and analytical on the Bulls, Heat, Celtics, Magic , (hasn't got a read on the Sixers yet either as he only mentions Iggy's athleticism or Brand's contract), Lakers, Clippers, Thunder, and Nuggets/Knicks since he's still enthralled by the fallout from the Melo trade. Any other team and his comments or analysis becomes very generic--recycled even.

I have come to trust Simmons' NBA judgment over just about any other 'expert' that ESPN throws out there. I agree with your analysis of his knowledge. I also know, however, that he predicted the Pacers would be a 40 win team before the first game of the season when nobody else, including many of us, would have thought so.

I really don't think he was knocking Roy. It was more of the all-star game is athleticism no defense crazy dunks sort of game and Roy would be boring in it. I agree he won't have massive highlight dunks or anything in the game, but it should give him a chance to show he is the self proclaimed best passing big man in the league.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    He's a Boston fan. 'Nuff said.
    No he isn't. That's a (badly) photoshopped picture of a kid in Feyenoord gear.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Brohan Cruyff For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did seem like a rather uninformed perspective from Bill, which is unusual for him lately. He used to be a shock-writer, just spouting stupid stuff, but over the last few years he's really improved and he's created a great understanding of things.

So why he's commenting about Roy based off one of his worst games this year and not acknowledging many other games where Hibbert played extremely strong is beyond me. Also, his comment about Granger sucking this year lends to more evidence that he hasn't watched the Pacers lately, or consistently.

You're off your game, Bill.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Well Roy certainly proved me wrong tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Well Roy certainly proved me wrong tonight.
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, don't look now but Roy's season trajectory is starting to look frighteningly like last season, outside of his rebounding numbers.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-12-2012 at 02:47 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, don't look now but Roy's season trajectory is starting to look frighteningly like last season, outside of his rebounding numbers.
    Really hoping that doesn't happen. Maybe being with the rest of the All-Stars in Orlando will do him some good.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No. His numbers have tailed off a bit, but they're not close, at all, to the swings we saw last season. Unless we're using one game sample sizes or something.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    this.

Roy's weakness has always been his stamina. He's made great strides to that effect, but you'd have to have your head 2,000 feet deep in the sand to make a case that he'd be putting up much better numbers with more minutes.

"running him ragged" seems to be a backhanded way of being petty about Gasol's numbers being better in part because he's capable of sustaining a bigger workload.
    First, before I respond to Kstat: I want to apologize for comparing Roy to Duncan. Without actually examining it in detail, I from simply watching game film, assumed that Roy's production was similar to Tim Duncan's sort of "over the hill" production over the last few years. I was off base. Even in the last few years, Tim Duncan's per 36 is obviously much better than Roy's.

Now on to Kstat's comments. I'm not completely convinced, and it's not like I completely disagree. But Kstat has rightly pointed out the fact that Roy simply hasn't had the stamina to play big minutes for the most part. It's worth pointing out that, players that have better conditioning and can spend much more time on the court provide an additional positive that some players simply cannot provide.

With that said, and admittedly without much evidence, I do believe that Roy can play much more minutes this season. He's in the best shape of his life, and honestly I think he'd have no problem playing additional minutes.

He's been incredibly effective in the few minutes he's played and I believe he could play more. I do know that Vogel likes to be safe with his minutes, (like any good coach) and keep his team very well rested. We'll have to wait until the playoffs to see if it's true, but I bet we see Roy logging 35 to 40 minutes a game. I think he can do it no problem.