Thread: Buying a New Phone Tomorrow

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Buying a New Phone Tomorrow

Long-time Verizon User. Looking to upgrade from my original Motorola Droid. I've had and loved this phone for over 2 years, but the damn thing just eats battery now. Looking to upgrade tomorrow. Looking at the Droid 4 and the Galaxy Nexus.

From what I've heard, the Nexus is a damn good phone, however the Droid 4 is $100 cheaper, comes with similar specs, and has a full physical keyboard, which I like. But, the Droid 4 doesn't come out until tomorrow, so there really hasn't been any full reviews regarding Battery Life, 4G strength, etc, etc.

Not a big Apple fan either, so I've kind of already ruled out the iPhone. Just looking at getting some thoughts and opinions.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Buying a New Phone Tomorrow

I also upgraded from the same phone you have. I got the nexus and love ice cream sandwhich android. Dont know much about the droid 4 but i dont think it offers 4g. Check out phonearena.com or phonedog.com for early reviews and comparisons

Mood

Oh no, it definitely offers 4G. The CNET review said they were impressed with how fast the 4G speeds were in a busy NYC.

It doesn't come with Ice Cream Sandwich, but will get the update for it soon. I'm also pleased to have found that I will be able to get $50 off my purchase simply for buying it at Best Buy tomorrow. That's awesome.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh no, it definitely offers 4G. The CNET review said they were impressed with how fast the 4G speeds were in a busy NYC.

It doesn't come with Ice Cream Sandwich, but will get the update for it soon. I'm also pleased to have found that I will be able to get $50 off my purchase simply for buying it at Best Buy tomorrow. That's awesome.
    I upgraded from the OG Droid to the Nexus and have been very happy with the Nexus. Its a beast of a phone. ICS is a huge improvement. Just flows so much better. The screen is great too, resolution and touch screen. Its just a huge improvement over the OG Droid.

Verizon 4G is rather impressive. Its a bit dodgy inside my house (which doesn't matter since I am connected to my wifi), but when im out or something, I've gotten some insane numbers. I've been getting 20+mbps down and 10+mbps up.

I haven't done any research really on the Droid 4 so I can't say much. But I will say, I love that the Nexus doesn't come with the bloatware a lot of phones do today. I didn't want all that stuff the Razr came with.

And yeah Best Buy Mobile is the way to go. They always treat me well there and have the best prices.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Ics update could take a while. Just a heads up. They say this date or that date, but if the past is any indication. Id say at least 6 months if they dont just bring out droid 6 with ics. Hell the droid three was like 5-6months old when droid 4 came out. Droid razr only out 1 month before releasing droid razr maxx. Just how Moto does.

Agree about bloatware and 4g. Battery life for me us goid but i dont connect to 4g often by choice. Also i use wifi a lot.

Banned
    Mood

If your set on getting the Droid 4 I just read this on Phonearena.com

Amazon has slashed the price of the new Motorola DROID 4 in half! Yes people, it’s now selling for $99.99 for those new customers willing to sign a 2-year contract with Big Red! Indeed, that’s stellar pricing for a brand spanking new smartphone that just went official today, but upgrade customers are still getting some love. In fact, they’re still getting a decent discount, as they can pick it up for $149.99.

I have a Droid Razr Maxx. Battery life is ridiculous, screen is ridiculous, amazing phone. I can be on phone all day, pretty heavy load, and still have 85% battery at the end of the day.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned
    Mood

yea the razr had bad battery issues which is why they brought out the maxx. if the razr maxx had ICS and no bloatware I would have probably gotten it. kinda sucks it cant be opened to remove battery though (iphone style).

Yeah, ICS would be nice, any idea when they are rolling it on the Razr?

I had an original Droid and then I had a thunderbolt for a short while. Good Lord the thunderbolt was a terrible phone
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-10-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Motorola and HTC are both bad on rolling out updates. They say by Q2, but I'd be surprised if ICS comes out for any current phones without it (excluding the multiple galaxy models). Now on the same note tablets seem to get the ICS update, but back to your question I'd guess 6 months if at all. More than likely a new version of Droid Razr will be out with ICS.

You have to love phone technology, your outdated 1 month after you buy the latest and greatest.

I've always read by April, but who knows. I still think you'll see the Razr and Maxx get it eventually. It doesn't kill me one way or another, but it'd be nice to have. The Maxx's battery, size and durability are the big winning points for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post

You have to love phone technology, your outdated 1 month after you buy the latest and greatest.
    Which is why I am switching to an iphone later this year. I remember buy my Galaxy S 2 years ago and 2 months later the phone was only $50.00.

Plus I can only update the damn phone using a PC.

Apple has its flaws like a small screen. But atleast you know the phone isn't going to be replaced in 3 months.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Which is why I am switching to an iphone later this year. I remember buy my Galaxy S 2 years ago and 2 months later the phone was only $50.00.

Plus I can only update the damn phone using a PC.

Apple has its flaws like a small screen. But atleast you know the phone isn't going to be replaced in 3 months.
    yeah, but its just outdated when it comes out

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

I wouldn't call the size of the screen a flaw. I don't need a large screen. For my use there is no point to it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I wouldn't call the size of the screen a flaw. I don't need a large screen. For my use there is no point to it.
    I don't think so either, the iPhone as it is fits perfectly in my pocket without the top of it sticking out of anything like that. When you live in a certainty where there is a thriving black market for stolen iPhones, that is important!

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Long-time Verizon User. Looking to upgrade from my original Motorola Droid. I've had and loved this phone for over 2 years, but the damn thing just eats battery now. Looking to upgrade tomorrow. Looking at the Droid 4 and the Galaxy Nexus.

From what I've heard, the Nexus is a damn good phone, however the Droid 4 is $100 cheaper, comes with similar specs, and has a full physical keyboard, which I like. But, the Droid 4 doesn't come out until tomorrow, so there really hasn't been any full reviews regarding Battery Life, 4G strength, etc, etc.

Not a big Apple fan either, so I've kind of already ruled out the iPhone. Just looking at getting some thoughts and opinions.
    I love my Galaxy Nexus. I returned an iPhone 4s for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

19. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

My problem with the RAZR is slow updates and a locked bootloader. Q HD isn't 720p, but the screen still locks nice On the RAZR. If you don't know what a locked bootloader means, you probably won't care.

The best part of the Nexus is always being 1rst for updates. Charge it every night though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-19-2012 at 12:01 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

I know its going to sound real weird, and easily fixed but the only nagging issue I have had with my Nexus is its so damn slick and i drop it all the time. A simple skin would fix that, but im picky and havent found one I like. The battery isnt amazing but for $25 you can get the extended battery, and its all good.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    I know its going to sound real weird, and easily fixed but the only nagging issue I have had with my Nexus is its so damn slick and i drop it all the time. A simple skin would fix that, but im picky and havent found one I like. The battery isnt amazing but for $25 you can get the extended battery, and its all good.
    It is slick. If I'm wearing some dress slacks, I have to be careful because when I sit down it has fallen out of my pocket before. I don't really like skins either.

I've been thinking about getting the extended battery, but I have been good with charging it every night so far.

Banned
    Mood

yea i havent gotten the ext battery yet either, but i am not away from home too much

As far as phones being outdated, I got my Atrix 4G when it came out and there still isn't much that beats it. Phones that have specs beyond it have just started coming out recently and I am due my upgrade in August.

I'm really debating telling AT&T to shove it. A buddy of mine just got the text message telling them that they're in the top 5% of data users and could see a slow down of up to 99% of their data speed. So much for that "unlimited plan" we have. He has used 2.3 gigs of data with 2 days left on his billing cycle. The not unlimited plans are for 3 gigs. So he hasn't even reached 3 gigs non unlimited users are allowed with his 'unlimited plan', and they're talking about throttling his speed. Ridiculous. I'm sure my text message isn't far behind.

That Razr Maxx looks awfully pretty for someone who needs battery life as a must .....

Good job AT&T. You'll get a bunch of people off the unlimited plan, and straight to Verizon.

The battery life is important for me being around our buildings and stuff like that. The Maxx delivers and it is plenty fast.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: