Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High Ratings on Television

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: High Ratings on Television

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Main reason why I like going to the games in person (besides the atmosphere, although it isn't all that great until the playoffs) but I get a much, much better sense of what is going on seeing it in person as opposed to watching on TV. I learn so much more about the players, teams, athletisicm, strength - I could go on and on. it is a compltely different experience. There is a reason scouts see teams and players in person as opposed to just watching it on TV.
    I agree with you on all points, however I would be willing to assume that neither of us could be considered "casual fans". I get so annoyed when I go to a game, and I see people sitting in the first couple of rows that aren't even paying attention to the game. You know the ones I am referring too...The ones that you see walking back and forth on the court to go buy drinks in the LockerRoom Bar, and miss over half the game just going back and forth....Yeah, I'm talkin about you Mr. AfflictionShirt....

To a more casual fan, that really doesn't have a grasp on the basics of basketball, having someone force feed you what is going on could be extremely beneficial....
    Last edited by ejwallace; 02-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    No, sorry...what you call an excuse is in fact reality for some people. I would love to be a sth, but once again as I've already stated the time nor money isn't there.
    STH? I'm just talking about people who can't be bothered to go to a single game.

To reiterate things I've said in multiple threads, I understand that money is tight and people work odd schedules. The "odd schedules" thing doesn't matter - someone without the ability to get time off for a game wouldn't be going anyway, so it has no bearing in the "TV vs Attend" discussion. On the money side, though, I really think people either have an inflated idea of what it costs to go to a Pacer game vs. almost any comparable form of entertainment OR they just want the whole TV experience (including the cost of TV) while at the arena.

When asked "what price point would get you to the game and what do you expect for that price", those with a price point (those without also don't count because they wouldn't go anyway) far too often want courtside amenities for a balcony price.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Well a lot of Pacer season ticket holders were able to pay for a season's worth of tickets by selling that game. No harm in that when you consider it was a regular season game and a Pacer fan really doesn't give a crap that was Jordan's first game back.

Got to remember we had the opportunity to see him before, and actually I hated watching Jordan games with the lord of basketball getting every call.
    I know this is off topic, but does anyone here remember what tickets were going for for that game? Had to be absolutely insane.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

The time argument kinda makes me wonder, if your schedule permits of course. We had at least ten Area 55 members who went to every game last season. They've got full time jobs, girlfriends, wives, kids, etc... and some of them drive an hour each way. They definitely sacrificed things to make it to every game and support the Pacers. It's not as easy or convenient as watching games on TV, but it's worth it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

From this STH's point of view... Don't black out ALL home games, but like in the past...black out SOME of the home games.

No need to give the non paying public as much access as those putting up hard earned coin & time.

No, I don't mean shutting those out... it doesn't have to be an ALL or NOTHING situation which a lot of you are making it out to be. 2 home games/month disappearing off the TV schedule would be enough of an annoyance to those that depend on getting all the games for the price of their cable bill would satisfy me.

We all know how Fox Sports usually broadcast about 70 games... Just make sure the 10 games that are not on broadcast are HOME GAMES so the STH's are rewarded by being able to see ALL the game. If STH's are invested enough with their time and money, it seems to be a no brainer that they would want the opportunity to see all the games!

During the broadcast a couple games ahead of the non televised games Chris & Quinn need to beat the drum of, "You need to get down to the Fieldhouse... Next Thursday's game against the New Jersey will be Radio Only. It's a good time to get out and be a part of the Pacers Experience!"
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    The time argument kinda makes me wonder, if your schedule permits of course. We had at least ten Area 55 members who went to every game last season. They've got full time jobs, girlfriends, wives, kids, etc... and some of them drive an hour each way. They definitely sacrificed things to make it to every game and support the Pacers. It's not as easy or convenient as watching games on TV, but it's worth it.
    I so agree!!!

This may seem over the top to a lot of you, but my Pacer fandom was born during the '91 play-offs when I lived in Fort Wayne, IN. From 92-93 season till the opening of the Fieldhouse, I held many 10 game packages making the 2 1/2 hour trip each way while on a very limited budget. The year the Fieldhouse opened, I purchased my first 1/2 season ticket. Then that next season... I moved to Indy because I realized that my love for this team was worth the sacrifice. After my move, I got married with a child on the way and had to temper the amount of money that I put towards making games being on the same limited budget, but in 2003 my wife and I were able to finally be able to rub enough nickels together to get Full Season Tickets in the Balcony. Now this being my 8th season, we were finally able to rub a few quarters along with the nickels and move down from the Balcony.

To me, it was worth the sacrifice and it makes the reasons that I often hear of I don't have time, don't want to drive, too cold, parking/tickets yada yada yada... kind of fall on deaf ears.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-12-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    No need to give the non paying public as much access as those putting up hard earned coin & time.

No, I don't mean shutting those out... it doesn't have to be an ALL or NOTHING situation which a lot of you are making it out to be. 2 home games/month disappearing off the TV schedule would be enough of an annoyance to those that depend on getting all the games for the price of their cable bill would satisfy me.
    Funny to talk about this 'non paying public' and in the next breath mention a cable bill. As a sports fan, the opportunity to watch live games in HD is the ONLY reason I pay for cable. While I don't have enough money to travel to Indy for all (or this year ANY) of the home games I would not consider myself a member of the non-paying public. Am I a non-attending member of the public? Sure. But for a lot of people, just paying a cable bill to watch the Pacers 70 times a year or so is as much as we can do. This group isn't on the fence about attending a Pacers Game. We are sold on the Pacers - we just don't have the kind of money to attend games this year. To me, blacking out this group of people is ultimately counter-productive. When I turn on the game only to find it blacked out, my first reaction wouldn't be 'Boy, guess I should get my butt down to the Fieldhouse and see this team in person'. I would feel betrayed by my team and angry at my cable provider.

Ignoring my specific circumstances, I think the Pacers need to be more concerned about the baby steps first. Get eyeballs watching Pacers highlights/coverage on the local news - then you can start worrying about getting butts in the seats. The local TV ratings seem to indicate the eyeballs finally coming back - blacking out games would only confuse and antagonize this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Funny to talk about this 'non paying public' and in the next breath mention a cable bill. As a sports fan, the opportunity to watch live games in HD is the ONLY reason I pay for cable. While I don't have enough money to travel to Indy for all (or this year ANY) of the home games I would not consider myself a member of the non-paying public. Am I a non-attending member of the public? Sure. But for a lot of people, just paying a cable bill to watch the Pacers 70 times a year or so is as much as we can do. This group isn't on the fence about attending a Pacers Game. We are sold on the Pacers - we just don't have the kind of money to attend games this year. To me, blacking out this group of people is ultimately counter-productive. When I turn on the game only to find it blacked out, my first reaction wouldn't be 'Boy, guess I should get my butt down to the Fieldhouse and see this team in person'. I would feel betrayed by my team and angry at my cable provider.

Ignoring my specific circumstances, I think the Pacers need to be more concerned about the baby steps first. Get eyeballs watching Pacers highlights/coverage on the local news - then you can start worrying about getting butts in the seats. The local TV ratings seem to indicate the eyeballs finally coming back - blacking out games would only confuse and antagonize this group.
    I think you missed my point... I'm not talking about shutting you out, just making the games FSI NORMALLY doesn't broadcast be ALL HOME GAMES. Two fold the team adds value to STH's by giving them the advantage of seeing all the games. Gives an opportunity for PS&E to offer an exclusive time a couple times a season to say... Your only chance of seeing this game is "To be there".

Normally, most seasons you're going to miss 10 games if you watch them on TV. Most don't have the opportunity to get to road game, but have a chance to get downtown. Why cheat those that make every home game by not broadcasting portions of maybe a west coast trip because FSI doesn't think anyone is willing to wait till 10:30 to see us take on Blake Griffin and the Clippers.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I think you missed my point... I'm not talking about shutting you out, just making the games FSI NORMALLY doesn't broadcast be ALL HOME GAMES. Two fold the team adds value to STH's by giving them the advantage of seeing all the games. Gives an opportunity for PS&E to offer an exclusive time a couple times a season to say... Your only chance of seeing this game is "To be there".

Normally, most seasons you're going to miss 10 games if you watch them on TV. Most don't have the opportunity to get to road game, but have a chance to get downtown. Why cheat those that make every home game by not broadcasting portions of maybe a west coast trip because FSI doesn't think anyone is willing to wait till 10:30 to see us take on Blake Griffin and the Clippers.
    if it makes you feel better, i don't have cable or even High-Speed Internet anymore, so I can't see any of the games...

in all seriousness, i can see why ticket holders might feel like it enhances their experience if they are the only ones who see a game...but if you reflect about it, it shouldn't affect your experience...

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

Saying they are charging "Lucas Oil Rates" for Pacer tickets is ludicrous. I'm sorry, but seats with a HELL of a lot better view of the floor go for a HELL of a lot less at the Fieldhouse. I've been to numerous Colts games that cost a lot more than my front-row Club level tickets at the Fieldhouse, and essentially ended up watching the game on television because I couldn't see the field.
    There are only 8 Colts games in a seaon at Lucas Oil. 8! So yeah they can charge a high rate for even craptacular seats.

There are 41 games at the Fieldhouse. They charge too much in the club level. It doesn't matter how great the view is, there is 41 games. Thats alot of inventory to be demanding $93 and $119 a ticket in the club level.

Now you might have Season tickets so you are getting them a much cheaper rate. But you are talking about going to just one game remember.

Come down on those prices and get rid of the servers.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

For those of you who used me as a punching bag when I suggested blacking out some of the home games (btw I would be fine with what Gnome is saying) and claiming the only way to get people to the games is to show all of the games on FSI.

How exactly did the Pacers get anyone to the games prior to FSI existing? I'm not sure how long they have been broadcasting the games but I know within the last decade during some seasons you were lucky to get half of the games on TV and back in the 90's and beyond....well I remember a year that TTV4 had 10 games and two were cut out to make way for I.U.

Please spare me the whole "you have got to get people to watch to come to the games" speech. Somehow they mananged to get decent crowds late in the 90's and early in the last decade without broadcasting every game.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    For those of you who used me as a punching bag when I suggested blacking out some of the home games (btw I would be fine with what Gnome is saying) and claiming the only way to get people to the games is to show all of the games on FSI.

How exactly did the Pacers get anyone to the games prior to FSI existing? I'm not sure how long they have been broadcasting the games but I know within the last decade during some seasons you were lucky to get half of the games on TV and back in the 90's and beyond....well I remember a year that TTV4 had 10 games and two were cut out to make way for I.U.

Please spare me the whole "you have got to get people to watch to come to the games" speech. Somehow they mananged to get decent crowds late in the 90's and early in the last decade without broadcasting every game.
    The Pacers struggled to sellout MSA during the early 90's run - even a few first round playoff games. Playoff games obviously attracted more casual viewers who were able to watch the team during the playoffs, grow attached to the players, start going to games, and yes - sell out quite a few games in the latter part of the decade/early 00s.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Well, first of course, after the initial big glow the Colts were not considered the primary Indy pro team - the Pacers were, especially in the mid-90's and beyond (until the Peyton years).

Second, radio broadcasts were a much more important part of a sports fan's repertoire in terms of keeping up with games. TV wasn't considered the only valid access to a team.

Third, that was the time when (as I recall) every team got to have at least one real national broadcast, not just hide on subscription TV.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Mood

How would this effect people that pay for NBA League Pass? Would people that subscribe still get to see the blacked out games since they are now "legitimately" paying for them, or would they be blacked out as well?

The only thing that I see a blackout doing is bolstering sales of League Pass and guaranteeing that $169 not to be available for Pacers tickets...

I am a firm believer that blacking out ANYTHING is wrong. Take the 500 for example....They black that out in a 100 mile radius, or close to it. Do you know how many families that prevents from seeing the race? Let's be honest, with the economy, extra spending money is limited. People can't afford to take a family of 4 to see the 500 or a Pacers game. To me blacking out anything seems like discrimination against people who are strapped for cash.

There are plenty of other ways to get butts in the seats than to blackout games...

And before I get the $169 for league pass is a lot....that would be the approximate cost of 1 game for a family of 4, yet would let the whole family see EVERY Pacers game, home and away....Which one seems more cost effective to you??

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    How would this effect people that pay for NBA League Pass? Would people that subscribe still get to see the blacked out games since they are now "legitimately" paying for them, or would they be blacked out as well?
    Local teams are completely blacked out on League Pass.
    BillS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Local teams are completely blacked out on League Pass.
    My understanding is local teams are only blacked out on League Pass if the rights to broadcast the game belong to the local station. So if it is being broadcast locally it will be blacked out, but if it is not being broadcast locally it won't....

When I had LP free preview, my "local" team is the Bulls, and I get CSNChicago which is like Chicago's FSI. At times, CSNChicago would be broadcasting a Blackhawks game or nothing at all, and I would be able to get the Bulls games via LP....Others I had to watch them on CSNChicago since they were broadcasting them and LP had them blacked out.....

It's simulare to what LP does when a game is available on TBS, TNT, or ESPN...You have to watch it on another channel if it's available, otherwise you can get it on LP....

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post

I am a firm believer that blacking out ANYTHING is wrong. Take the 500 for example....They black that out in a 100 mile radius, or close to it. Do you know how many families that prevents from seeing the race? Let's be honest, with the economy, extra spending money is limited. People can't afford to take a family of 4 to see the 500 or a Pacers game. To me blacking out anything seems like discrimination against people who are strapped for cash.
    But the 500 is a once per year event. You miss the 2012 Indy 500 then you have to wait until 2013 to see the next one. If you miss the Pacers' Tues night matchup with the cellar dwelling NBA team then a couple of nights later they'll be playing again... and then again a few nights later.

There are SO many games in an NBA season that I don't see how blacking out a few random games is going to accomplish anything. Fans know they can just wait and see the next game. The eyeballs you lose on those few b/o games probably doesn't make up for the few people who buy tix so as not to miss the game. You risk creating bad vibes with some fans and breaking a connection with others. How many people watch a telecast versus best case scenario on filling the fieldhouse? Let's say 50,000 watch the game on TV. Black it out and at best 40,000 of those people will have no chance to see the game, even if the arena gets a sellout. I don't know what the real viewership numbers are but you see how that snowballs. (unless you're going to make that conditional blackouts)

And didn't the Pacers opt to NOT televise a playoff game in the not too distant past and catch a lot of heat for that? That's not the type of mood you want to be setting with your fanbase.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I'm pretty sure I know what it is not.

This season not withstanding, but overall I believe there's too many NBA games and so each game is not as important as it should be. Which means they aren't as compelling of a ticket for any one game. I doubt casual fans even realize this season is abbreviated.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB

Mood

Heads up to those of you who are talking about the difficult price point: There are $10 tickets available in the lower section for the 2/21 game vs. the Hornets. I just bought 6, total price was $70.94

StubHub.

Love it, I'll get to go to 2 Pacer games within a week (2/16, 2/21) and pay a grand total of $30/person. Be there!