Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Ratings on Television

Default High Ratings on Television

via Mike Wells/Indianapolis Star

High ratings on television

The Pacers are still having a difficult time getting people to show up for games at Bankers Life Fieldhouse this season, but they're doing well in television ratings.

They had a 3.7 household rating, which was their highest of the season, in the Indianapolis area for Tuesday's game against the Utah Jazz, according to the Nielsen Co.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ackup-Thursday
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Default Re: High Ratings on Television

I wish they would give that number more context. OK, so that is the highest of the season, that is some context, but how does that compare to last year, prior years.

Over the past couple of seasons we have gotten a few little tidbits of information on the Pacers local TV ratings and if I remember correctly last year they were higher than the year before - but is this information available anywhere. I would love to get ratings of every game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay, I hate to say it, but I wish blacking out home games was an option.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't envision any scenario where that wouldn't be extremely counterproductive.

6. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    That is not the answer and in fact would hurt interest in the Pacers. I keep seeing posts from many members who use Stub Hub for the better seats and better prices than going to Pacers.com. Would seem hard to sell tickets from the main Pacer site if you can get much better deals from other sources.

Obviously the Pacers do surveys to see what they can do to get people out to the fieldhouse. They're are going to have to find a compromise on prices where single tickets are worth coming out and not ticking off their season ticket holders too. I understand they have already tried that in past seasons with give-a-ways and such. Frankly the product was so bad at that time no one really cared. They still need to do that with the new and improved team they have on the floor. In some ways they are trying that right now with a promo for former mini season package fans to get them interested again. I believe it's a free game during February so there is effort.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Yeah, blacking out home games would be a huge mistake. The Pacers need more media coverage not less.

Are there a few people who decide that if the game is on TV they won't go to the game? Sure there are, but there are tons more who if not on TV they would watch or do something else and forget all about the Pacers.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

My first reaction was it's great that we have such good ratings against a generic team like the Jazz. Then I remembered Hayward.

In fact, we should blame all those lazy Bulldog fans for not coming to the game.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I wish they would give that number more context. OK, so that is the highest of the season, that is some context, but how does that compare to last year, prior years.

Over the past couple of seasons we have gotten a few little tidbits of information on the Pacers local TV ratings and if I remember correctly last year they were higher than the year before - but is this information available anywhere. I would love to get ratings of every game
    I tried to poke around a little bit to find some comparisons. The only interesting thing I came up with was:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/701269832/

The Bulls suffered their first home loss of the season Wednesday to the hands of the Indiana Pacers, but the cable broadcast earned the highest ratings ever for a regular-season game on Comcast SportsNet Chicago, topping a Cubs game from the 2008 season.

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2011/05...AMS/post/27121

Here we go.

Averaged 2.1 last year, which was 35% higher than the prior year.
    Last edited by MagicRat; 02-09-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I tried to poke around a little bit to find some comparisons. The only interesting thing I came up with was:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/701269832/

The Bulls suffered their first home loss of the season Wednesday to the hands of the Indiana Pacers, but the cable broadcast earned the highest ratings ever for a regular-season game on Comcast SportsNet Chicago, topping a Cubs game from the 2008 season.

I have a vague memory that the teams that get the best ratings are between 6 -10. Average would be more in the 3-5 range and down from there. But it makes a huge difference the size of the city.

If the Knicks get a 2.2 rating in NYC and the pacers get a 6.8 rating in Indy, there are still multiple times more people watching the Knicks than the pacers.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...n-abc-and-tnt/

Sixers Hit Seven-Year High on CSN Philadelphia: Monday’s Lakers/Sixers NBA regular season game drew a 5.1 rating on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, the highest for a Sixers game on the network since March of 2005. So far this season, Sixers games have averaged a 2.8 rating on CSN Philadelphia, up 77% from last year. (Comcast

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011...g-big-numbers/
    Fox Sports Southwest averaged a 9.7 rating for regular season Spurs telecasts through January 5, up 54% from last year, and the highest local average in the league. FS Southwest has earned its five biggest regular season Spurs ratings ever this season, with Lakers/Spurs on December 28 (17.8) and Spurs/Celtics on January 5 (14.3) taking the top two spots. The Spurs have earned nine of the ten highest local ratings in the NBA this season. Spurs ratings on San Antonio’s CBS and CW affiliates are up 22% and 31%, respectively.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...atings-up-big/
    Fox Sports Net Utah averaged a 6.3 rating for Utah Jazz games through December 22, up 50% from last year (4.2). The network has topped a 9.0 rating on three separate occasions this season, matching last year’s full season total. (Salt Lake Tribune via Sports Business Daily)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yeah, blacking out home games would be a huge mistake. The Pacers need more media coverage not less.

Are there a few people who decide that if the game is on TV they won't go to the game? Sure there are, but there are tons more who if not on TV they would watch or do something else and forget all about the Pacers.
    I think you are underestimating this effect (on TV, stay home).

The Super Bowl coverage of the various downtown activities was pretty extensive and it showed with the lackluster crowds who chose to stay home and watch instead.*

*my tag does say "now with extra sarcasm"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Anyone that works 40+ hours and are 30 minutes or more away from the game is going to find it hard to go to during work days on any kind of regular basis. Especially if they have a 2nd job, a family, a hobby, school, ect.

Driving an hour + to down town to make it to a 7:00 game and is on the back side of rush hour. Many people just don't want to deal with the hurry, rush around just to get to a game and blow 1/2 or more of a weekly salary for one game. If a person makes $600.00 a week after taxes and wants to take their family for a 2 1/2 hour game. They just worked nearly all week for that, not gonna happen. But should that person and family be deprived from viewing from there home because of a blackout? obviously not! You think that person is gonna go...Oh No, I must go to a game, now that I can't watch it at home? Hell No!

They have to show the games on TV to get noticed and to create interest and want from people. Blackout is the dumbest thing they could do, especially with today's technology.

I think these pro teams need to cut the ticket prices by 70% at all times. I think they should have a very reasonable package to buy and watch from home to make up the difference of ticket prices. Like FSI being a paid channel.

That would show support and would easily make more money then ticket sales. And it wouldn't be the NBA package.

added: Please understand, I am thinking for others here, not just myself, I couldn't go on a regular basis if someone paid for the whole thing, I don't have the time to get there, 1 1/2 hour drive one way and I'm in a 50 mile radius. My kid is an adult and is in college and my wife would not go but once a year if I smiled right. And I definitely don't have a money issue as I work my rear off to have nice things. So, cost would be minimal for myself and a friend. It's all about time and simplicity.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-09-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Anyone that works 40+ hours and are 30 minutes or more away from the game is going to find it hard to go to during work days on any kind of regular basis. Especially if they have a 2nd job, a family, a hobby, school, ect.

Driving an hour + to down town to make it to a 7:00 game and is on the back side of rush hour. Many people just don't want to deal with the hurry, rush around just to get to a game and blow 1/2 or more of a weekly salary for one game. If a person makes $600.00 a week after taxes and wants to take their family for a 2 1/2 hour game. They just worked nearly all week for that, not gonna happen. But should that person and family be deprived from viewing from there home because of a blackout? obviously not! You think that person is gonna go...Oh No, I must go to a game, now that I can't watch it at home? Hell No!

They have to show the games on TV to get noticed and to create interest and want from people. Blackout is the dumbest thing they could do, especially with today's technology.

I think these pro teams need to cut the ticket prices by 70% at all times. I think they should have a very reasonable package to buy and watch from home to make up the difference of ticket prices. Like FSI being a paid channel.

That would show support and would easily make more money then ticket sales. And it wouldn't be the NBA package.
    FSI is a paid channel, you aren't picking it up with bunny ears. Unless you are talking about pay per view, which is just dumb. People aren't going to pay extra to watch the NBA, especially not in Indiana.

See I just don't get why some of you guys keep saying that blacking out home games is a bad thing if it is not a sell out.

It just makes sense to me.

If I was just a casual fan, and let's face it that is who we are talking about here, why would I want to spend a dime of my money in the middle of the week in the middle of February to go see the Pacers play the Nets when I can just get home from work, eat my dinner and watch the game on tv paying nothing more than my monthly cable/satalite bill.

Now however if it wasn't on and I wanted to see the team then I might be more tempted to go.

I mean honestly this is how it was done for years prior to fox sports taking over the last couple of seasons anyway.

Maybe they could just have home games blacked out in a 50 mile radius or something.

I think there are a lot of people who don't go to games because they can see every game for basically free.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    See I just don't get why some of you guys keep saying that blacking out home games is a bad thing if it is not a sell out.

If I was just a casual fan, and let's face it that is who we are talking about here, why would I want to spend a dime of my money in the middle of the week in the middle of February to go see the Pacers play the Nets when I can just get home from work, eat my dinner and watch the game on tv paying nothing more than my monthly cable/satalite bill.

Now however if it wasn't on and I wanted to see the team then I might be more tempted to go.

I mean honestly this is how it was done for years prior to fox sports taking over the last couple of seasons anyway.

Maybe they could just have home games blacked out in a 50 mile radius or something.

I think there are a lot of people who don't go to games because they can see every game for basically free.
    Casual fans IMO go to games for basically two reasons. They either go for the experience/occasional night out, or because something has made them invested in the team. The first isn't affected whatsoever by the blackout. The second is actually hurt by a blackout. How is a casual fan going to get invested in the team if half the time they sit down to watch them they can't?

A blackout would help bring in more dedicated fans who want to watch the Pacers one way or the other and so will choose to buy tickets if they can't see them on TV. The casual fan doesn't care enough to be upset to the point where they buy tickets. They'll just find something else to watch. And they'll have that many less opportunities to become a dedicated fan of the team.

The Pacers would have more ticket sales for a few years, but it would come at the expense of their future fanbase. I don't see how it's a good long-term strategy.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Uh, there are also plenty like myself who used to go a lot more often but circumstances change and now I rely almost entirely on TV. I would get royally screwed if they started blackouts.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Yeah, this worked great for me in high school. I knew the best way to get the girls was to play hard to get, and they were more than happy to let me continue doing just that.

In other words, the Pacers aren't popular enough to play hard to get. And if they were then they wouldn't need to anyway. The more they win the more it becomes an event, and that's what draws crowds. That's why the Orlando game was packed...people came to the event of possible stars in for the SB.

I'm telling you, I'm with JMV on this one. You almost want to be careful what you wish for. I want the Pacers to have the financial success, but I don't want to be sitting next to Bandwagon McDbag when they become popular again.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Many people just don't want to deal with the hurry, rush around just to get to a game and blow 1/2 or more of a weekly salary for one game. If a person makes $600.00 a week after taxes and wants to take their family for a 2 1/2 hour game
    There are literally tickets going for $2 to some games on StubHub. If you want to be there you can be for maybe $60 for 4. Even at high prices of perhaps $12 for food and pop you are still only in for $108 total with decent upper level seats.

I love how the barrier to something is always that you can't get the deluxe version for the non-deluxe price. Like I'd love to go to the beach but a trip to Fiji is just so expensive that I'd rather stay home instead.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

You need to back up a step. How do you get casual fans? TV is the best way to get casual fans, and if you black out home games that are not sold out you have no way to get casual fans. And the pacers fall off the radar of the casual local sports fan completely. The radio which might have been an option 20 years ago just isn't anymore.

As I mentioned in my prior post the opportunity to get casual fans to pay attention to the pacers through TV is what is most needed right now.

It is also important to televise home games because the team will win a lot more home games than road games and it is always better to show the team winning to get more fans. Plus by showing home games something might spark interest -

The proof though is in the fact that no NBA team blacks out home games. Also it is probably less expensive for teams to show the home games than it is to show road games

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    There are literally tickets going for $2 to some games on StubHub.
    I do have to question how many casual fans go to Stub Hub and look for Pacer tickets? Maybe a lot, but I venture to guess most just go to Ticket Master or Pacer.com.... Yowza, look at those prices and say never mind.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. Note to self: No PD before I drink some caffeine in the morning.

I'm not saying that it has to be a total sellout to avoid a blackout, nor does it have to be an NFL-style blackout....

Say 13-14k tickets are sold and the game is on TV.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    FSI is a paid channel, you aren't picking it up with bunny ears. Unless you are talking about pay per view, which is just dumb. People aren't going to pay extra to watch the NBA, especially not in Indiana.
    I would pay $10.00 per game in a second if I knew that it would help support the Pacers. I would pay that before paying hundreds for tickets for family, food, parking, gas, ect.

I'd rather view on my precious HDTV, then nose bleed and try to go cheaper.

If it was a option of:
    Blackout vs Tickets
    Blackout vs Pay per Game / Season

I would have to take the pay per game / season without a second thought.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be pretty PO'd if they blacked out the Pacers' games. As someone who has a lot of class in the evening, I usually come home to catch the Pacers mid-game, and it really wouldn't be worth me hauling downtown and paying $$$ so I can catch maybe half of a game.

The Pacers need all the attention and support they can get, it doesn't matter if it's at home, at restaurants, or in Banker's Life. Blacking out games would rule out the Pacers fans who have their training wheels on and who maybe would be willing to finally ride their bikes without the training wheels (go to games) later on. It would be doing a huge disservice to the franchise, as well as bars, restaurants, etc. in Indianapolis.