Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird, Croshere on 1070 this morning (separately)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird, Croshere on 1070 this morning (separately)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I'm just not seeing why he'd lie. What would be the point?

Coming out of high school he was considerd one of the nations top players (just 3 yrs ago). No one else on the team can claim that.
    McRoberts was one of the nations top players too. He wasn't most talented on the Roster.

I bet lance could take on any of our guys in a 1 on 1 contest.. In that sense, hes the best.. He can take just about anybody off the dribble.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love the 'opinions can't be wrong' argument, because that's false.

Well it is my opinion that anyone who disagrees with my opinion is, in fact a woman. So I guess since I can't be wrong, I'll talk to you later. You bunch of women.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    McRoberts was one of the nations top players too. He wasn't most talented on the Roster.
    No one said Josh was... Josh didn't have nearly the hype Lance had anyway.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 02-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

Well it is my opinion that anyone who disagrees with my opinion is, in fact a woman. So I guess since I can't be wrong, I'll talk to you later. You bunch of women.
    If you need me I'll be in the kitchen.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'd rather see Lance try to come in and spot Collison some minutes and see what Lance can do running the offense with some more offensively capable players. Lance in the game with Paul George I think would be awesome.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Larry has continuously said that Lance is the most talented player on that roster. That's a lie.
    Kinda arrogant, I think.

I think Lance is the most talented player on our roster.

I don't think I'm necessarily right, but I'm confident in my opinion. It's nice that Larry agrees.

Calling Larry a liar. Not really cool.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I like to hear that Larry keeps repeating that he is still has some work to do.
    Yeah, he seems pretty open about wanting to use that capspace.

Someone help me here with memory. But hasn't Larry been a bit less open in this way in past years before the deadline? Hasn't it usually a lot of cautious speak and warnings that nothing may be done?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yeah, he seems pretty open about wanting to use that capspace.

Someone help me here with memory. But hasn't Larry been a bit less open in this way in past years before the deadline? Hasn't it usually a lot of cautious speak and warnings that nothing may be done?
    To be fair.....we really haven't been in this position where the FO has a lot of capspace to spend.

Last year...we had the Expiring Contracts...but I'm guessing that the opportunities / offers would be different than the ones that are available this year.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I recall Mark Boyle jumping on here early in Lance's career and saying something similar to the effect that Lance was one of, if not the most, talented guy on the roster from a pure talent standpoint. He also cautioned about all the non-playing aspects.

To me this discussion is like in baseball when they talk about "five tool" players. Some players with all five tools turn out to be the best in baseball, and others don't ever really pan out, despite the talent.

Lance is potentially the Pacers' best version of a "five tool" player. He handles the ball and sees the floor, can jump, can pass, can shoot, has good size, and is pretty fast. I think Paul George may be surpassing Lance, however, once he gets his handles more developed. Lance is certainly much more raw.

For baseball fans who appreciate comparisons, I hope Lance is an Eric Davis, but sometimes I fear he is more Willy Mo Pena.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I'd rather see Lance try to come in and spot Collison some minutes and see what Lance can do running the offense with some more offensively capable players. Lance in the game with Paul George I think would be awesome.
    Personally, I'd rather see Lance earn whatever minutes he gets by continuing to grow his game. He can do that by hitting his free throws and developing some kind of shot that he can hit consistently... I don't care whether it's from mid-range or from behind the arc.

From a raw talent point maybe he is, but there is so much more that goes into talent than what a player can physically do by himself. The game of basketball is a mental game, that is why so many players with the tools to be great end up being complete flops.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I think Bird envisions Lance running the show one of these days, but right now they're trying not to put too much responsibility on his shoulders. They're trying to slowly break him in with out doing damage to the team in the process.
    I understand the need to not put pressure on him...but I don't see why he shouldn't be the primary ball handler that can initiate the offense when he is on the floor. If his skillset lends more to passing and creating for others...then shouldn't he be that guy handling the ball when he is on the floor instead of passing the ball off to AJ/DC/GH?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Question to all....is there a difference between a Player that has really good passing skills and court vision and a Player that runs/facilitates the offense?

As in...is it possible that a Player can have good passing skills and court vision but isn't really good and running/facilitating the offense?

Thumbs up Re: Bird, Croshere on 1070 this morning (separately)

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    L.Stephenson looks like Pacers best facilitator, yet plays w/ 0 play makers, is this the best recipe for his success?
    Should we not take a look at plaing him more w/ the starters?
    I have been beating this drum for some time now..
    Glad you agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

He said opinions can't be lies.

Are you saying Larry's lying too?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I understand the need to not put pressure on him...but I don't see why he shouldn't be the primary ball handler that can initiate the offense when he is on the floor. If his skillset lends more to passing and creating for others...then shouldn't he be that guy handling the ball when he is on the floor instead of passing the ball off to AJ/DC/GH?
    I'd like to see him running the offense, but I can't argue with the strategy the coaches have decided to go with. Lance seems more comfortable in his roll, and he's becoming more consistent so I'd say the switch has been good for him. If he keeps playing like he has been he'll get another chance to run the PG.

Question to all....is there a difference between a Player that has really good passing skills and court vision and a Player that runs/facilitates the offense?

As in...is it possible that a Player can have good passing skills and court vision but isn't really good and running/facilitating the offense?
    That's Lance. He's got the skills, just not the know how yet. It's easier to learn how to be PG than it is to learn court vision or passing. That's why we're taking the time to develop him IMO.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 02-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Should we not take a look at plaing him more w/ the starters?
    He was feeding Roy well last night - me likey!
    I am a reformed Lance Hater...at least for now. He's playing smarter by the game, he's defending far, far better....and better than I thought possible. I would love to see him start at PG.

I honestly think DC would make for instant offense off the bench...and with guys like Lou, Foster, Pendy and Dahntay, well, you need that. Only issue is DC's ego. ...and no, I don't think DC is an all-star. He's a whole lot better than the guy we moved to get him...and he's the best PG since JT...but he simply doesn't see the floor well enough and pass well enough to really help the other players on offense. He's much better zipping around the court acting like a SG. Very effective at that.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Lance needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Polar oppisite of B Rush. He willl make turnovers mixed with flashes of brillance, but it beats standing in the corner
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post

For baseball fans who appreciate comparisons, I hope Lance is an Eric Davis, but sometimes I fear he is more Willy Mo Pena.
    ... or the more recent Josh Hamilton, considering his troubles off the field. Still pissed the Reds traded him

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Lance needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Polar oppisite of B Rush. He willl make turnovers mixed with flashes of brillance, but it beats standing in the corner
    How bout the rebound, then no look pass to Lou ? That's what we need on the break.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

If we don't make any moves for a point guard, I could see Lance becoming our starting pg in the next few years. We haven't had the opportunity to see Lance play with the starters very much, but I'm sure it would be a sight to see. I would also like to see more of Lance and PG on the court together.

Pass That

I look at Lance kinda like an anti-Tebow, they are opposite. Lance is lacking the intangible qualities Larry is looking for in a floor general role. He has all the talent and skills to do the job, but can he lead men? Does he have the camaraderie with the team to develop trust? Not yet is the answer to both of those questions. But once Lance does finally attain all of these intangible character traits then his natural basketball ability will blossom before our eyes and Larry's vision of Lance will be visible on the court for all to see.

The reason I have hope that all of this will happen is because every human being has to grow and mature eventually. It's not like a Tebow situation where we have to completely tear him down and reform him with a new set of skills. He can do the job, he is just not mentally ready.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MrPreGame For This Useful Post:

But you don't believe that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus