Thread: NBA Cards?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NBA Cards?

Are there any out this year? I go to the Collector's Den but they never have any. What are the hot cards if there is any.

@Pacers24Colts12

What do you mean?

I know Panini will have their "preferred basketball" box release later this month, but it retails at $200.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Default Re: NBA Cards?

Just normal basketball cards. Have they been released this year? I didn't know with the lockout and everything.

@Pacers24Colts12

Panini is the only company that currently has a license for NBA cards. I believe they will have 5 releases this year compared to the normal 12, although nothing is out yet. As another poster mentioned, the first set will be a high end set, but I believe the new NBA Hoops will be out next month (and it will be much, much cheaper).

I collected basketball cards in the 1990's. It sounds like they have really fallen off, what gives? When I was a kid everyone collected them.

I would say for the most part, they were accessible, cheap, and NBA ball was very popular then. Memorabilia cards came onto the scene and it became more of an adult hobby. Now the jersey cards are over-produced and only one company has the license to make NBA cards. Kind of a sad situation really.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say for the most part, they were accessible, cheap, and NBA ball was very popular then. Memorabilia cards came onto the scene and it became more of an adult hobby. Now the jersey cards are over-produced and only one company has the license to make NBA cards. Kind of a sad situation really.
    Memorabilia cards as in those cards that have a piece of a jersey worn by so and so player attached to them? I was on my way out of the hobby around the time those were introduced.

Its a shame this has happened really. I have a pretty extensive collection dating back from the 1970's and have some really cool early-mid 1990's Topps Finest cards that used to really be worth something (no idea if they still are). I guess I assumed Toops/Fleer would always be making cards and one day my kid would be super stoked to inherit the collection. I guess not.

Topps still makes cards but they don't have an NBA license. Upper Deck makes cards with players in their college uniforms. And Fleer went out of business about 6 yrs ago I think (I'm pretty sure Upper Deck ended up purchasing whatever rights and brands they owned).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really disappointed in Panini so far. When I do buy cards, its by the box and usually a year later (so it only costs $20). Upper Deck's old boxes got me something like 8 packs of 9 cards. For the same price, you get like 6 packs of 6 cards from Panini. And I wonder why I stepped away so much 10 years ago....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca