Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd Thoughts: All that Jazz

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: All that Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You’d think in all of that time I would have improved or learned how to spell or use proper grammar but somehow that has always escaped me. I am not a professional writer (obviously) and I am not a mathematician or analyst.
    I've written my own Odd Thoughts on being a writer. You'll find that you make the cut, despite your spelling and grammar.

http://coolbloobridge.com/?p=548

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I guess this is news to me. My issues have been the 'alleged incident' last season as well as my high suspicion that he was pissing off his teammates and damaging chemistry in the process. That plus the childishness left me not trusting him any farther than I can throw him, and not really liking him, either.

Thankfully, he seems to be turning a new leaf between not getting in trouble during a lockout with no supervision or aid from the team, his improvement on the floor (thinking mainly of his effort and defense), and just this morning Larry was praising him for his continuing maturity and that this year his teammates love him. So he's getting there, I think.
    or maybe your suspicion's were wrong.

the issue of his girlfriend and the stairs cannot be overlooked. that can only be dealt with by proper behavior going forward. we all do stupid things when we are young. make one mistake and do ok from there, then it is a mistake. keep making mistakes over and over, then they are not mistakes, but rather bad behavior. time will tell on the issue of lance's character, but his place in the team seems ok.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess this is news to me. My issues have been the 'alleged incident' last season as well as my high suspicion that he was pissing off his teammates and damaging chemistry in the process. That plus the childishness left me not trusting him any farther than I can throw him, and not really liking him, either.
    Does this not sound like the beginning of a new Ron-Ron to you? To me it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Sort of, but that's not what I was arguing with in his post. You can make comparisons to Ron Artest, but when I think of why I haven't liked Lance Stephenson, 'wearing his emotions on his sleeve' doesn't even make my list, really. I understand you can draw a line between that and the things I DO have issues with about him, but nonetheless I never think to myself "I don't like how he wears his emotions on his sleeve when I watch him on the floor". I just personally don't care about that and hadn't really given it much thought.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    or maybe your suspicion's were wrong.
    Could go either way, but everything I would read or hear about him and last season suggestions I'm not very wrong about that, but whatever.

the issue of his girlfriend and the stairs cannot be overlooked. that can only be dealt with by proper behavior going forward. we all do stupid things when we are young. make one mistake and do ok from there, then it is a mistake. keep making mistakes over and over, then they are not mistakes, but rather bad behavior. time will tell on the issue of lance's character, but his place in the team seems ok.
    Sorry, but if there's any truth to that incident (and there may not be, though I kind of doubt it) it goes way beyond "a mistake" with me. I don't give it a "we all do stupid things" pass because, no, I've never, EVER done anything close to that bad.

But again, whatever, we all have our minds pretty well made up, and I'm not looking to change your mind on any of it; I just felt the urge to speak up on categorizing that allegation as 'just another stupid mistake' because to me it's pretty heinous.

it could be. but it doesn't sound like it is. ron-ron was a loose cannon all the time. there was some verbal remore, but his behavior never seemed to change. kind of a 'oh, my bad'. ron never showed any sign of growing up. not here, not in chicago, not in sacramento, nor LA.

lance seemed to be making that effort to grow up and behave. only time will tell if he is sincere.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I've written my own Odd Thoughts on being a writer. You'll find that you make the cut, despite your spelling and grammar.

That was a great read. I have a screenwriting partnership with a good friend of mine, who is also an aspiring novelist. A lot of good tidbits in that piece, really helps put some things in perspective.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

I don't think Ron walked out of the womb a raving lunatic. And I have a completely different opinion of Ron, it looks like.

I saw a guy who wanted to change, that didn't know how to. I think Larry learned his lesson with Ron, and how you can't coddle someone like that and routinely pat them on the back telling them how it's going to be okay, and that's why the treatment of Lance has been different.

If we were to compare Ron at 21 and Lance at 21, I'd venture to guess the comparison is closer than Lance at 21 and Ron at 25.

Banned

I don't think Ron walked out of the womb a raving lunatic. And I have a completely different opinion of Ron, it looks like.

I saw a guy who wanted to change, that didn't know how to. I think Larry learned his lesson with Ron, and how you can't coddle someone like that and routinely pat them on the back telling them how it's going to be okay, and that's why the treatment of Lance has been different.

If we were to compare Ron at 21 and Lance at 21, I'd venture to guess the comparison is closer than Lance at 21 and Ron at 25.
    Yeah I don't see the comparison between Lance and Ron, Ron to me is one step from been legally crazy and Lance to me is just an inmature kid that haven't had any discipline, his father treats him as his friend and that's not a good thing.

Well Peck said "a lot" of people saw the comparison, not "everyone" sees the comparison.

You obviously fall out of the "a lot" qualificiation. I was merely pointing out that some of us agree with him. Or I should say that I agree with him.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see Lance as the same as Artest. Artest has some imbalance going on, some instability. Lance was just very very immature.

Neither one of them really does it for me, basketball-wise.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Well said, Spaz. Hmmm ... although ... if we're in agreement that Peck's "Odd Thoughts" threads are more fair and balanced than other post-game threads, shouldn't they be titled, "Even Thoughts"?

Or, for James Bond aficionados, "Odd-JOB Thoughts"?
    "Rational thoughts" would be fitting at times when compared.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Could go either way, but everything I would read or hear about him and last season suggestions I'm not very wrong about that, but whatever.

Sorry, but if there's any truth to that incident (and there may not be, though I kind of doubt it) it goes way beyond "a mistake" with me. I don't give it a "we all do stupid things" pass because, no, I've never, EVER done anything close to that bad.

But again, whatever, we all have our minds pretty well made up, and I'm not looking to change your mind on any of it; I just felt the urge to speak up on categorizing that allegation as 'just another stupid mistake' because to me it's pretty heinous.
    No one here knows what really happened. It could have been an accident . The rumors were very bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-08-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great post as always Peck, but it was harder to read than normal. Needs more paragraphs and spacing.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Wow that article is deep on so many levels. Honestly there is a life lesson in there beyond writing IMO. Heck it can even be broken down here on the digest between the group of people who use advanced statistics/metrics and those who just watch the game.

Thank you for sharing that and I am humbled that you think that my is good in any context.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Great post as always Peck, but it was harder to read than normal. Needs more paragraphs and spacing.
    Yea, I probably need to drop the bullet point style as this is what always happens. Sorry about that.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13