Thread: Is Artest Worth the Trouble? Pacers Q and A

Default Is Artest Worth the Trouble? Pacers Q and A

Q. Ron Artest is, in my opinion, perhaps the most complete player in the NBA from a talent aspect. Hes got a respectable, above-average shot from all over the floor. Hes tenacious on defense like no player weve seen since the '80s. He can play two, three and a little bit of one, depending on the matchups -- and in some cases the four by the new NBA standards. He has to be the most frustrating player to be matched up against.

All that said, his behavior and attitude will, probably throughout his career, keep him out of several games per year. Even when hes on the floor, it takes him out of some games. So, assuming you have Ron for 65-70 games per year on his best behavior and doing what he does best, is he a better choice than someone with less talent but plays 82 games (barring injuries, of course)?

I realize this is a media situation blown out of proportion more than an actual distraction, but it cant possibly be a favorable situation either. Im in favor of us trying to work it out because pure talent is too hard to come by. However, if he goes and we are compensated even close to evenly I wont shed any tears, either. (From Jason in Greenfield, IN)

A. Whenever the issue is Artest, it's important to step out of the heat of the moment and try to take a much broader, long-term view. In that process, the first thing you must do is accept that Artest is 24 years old. That means he is not a finished product, either on or off the court. As you point out, he has a rare combination of skills. At his best, he is one of the top 10 or 15 players in the league. Does he occasionally drive the team bus over a speed-bump at 50 miles per hour? Absolutely, and some headaches result. But even the most jaded observer of Artest would have to admit to a couple of cold, hard realities: since joining the Pacers, his level of play has risen while the distracting incidents have declined. It's safe to say, given the period of time, that's a trend.

It is very difficult to remain patient as these things occur, and the current incident is particularly galling because of the timing. When a team is severely shorthanded, it needs as much stability and consistency as it can get from its key players. If Artest did indeed ask for time off to pursue other interests, Coach Rick Carlisle's response was absolutely correct. But to suggest it's time to give up on Artest and simply get rid of him because of this incident is flawed logic. The Pacers believe Artest has greatness inside and are willing to invest the time, energy, patience and will to bring it to the surface.

And I couldn't agree more.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Default Re: Is Artest Worth the Trouble? Pacers Q and A

Fluffy.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is very difficult to remain patient as these things occur, and the current incident is particularly galling because of the timing. When a team is severely shorthanded, it needs as much stability and consistency as it can get from its key players.
    And I couldn't agree more.

ARTESTMVP

what a great article

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is very difficult to remain patient as these things occur, and the current incident is particularly galling because of the timing. When a team is severely shorthanded, it needs as much stability and consistency as it can get from its key players.
    That's a pretty strong statement from Bruno, actually.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a pretty strong statement from Bruno, actually.
    Yeah - that is what I was thinking as well.

And ArtestMVP - I don't think you can really consider it an article when its a Q+A with Bruno...

I have a question?

Why is it when the media says the pacers should trade Artest so many people say the media is being truthful and hard hitting. But when the media says the Pacers should not trade Ron people say the media is being fluffy or soft.

I think it is more courageous to write an article about how the Pacers should not trade Artest, then to write the completely predictible article about how the Pacers must trade Artest now.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does it really even matter now if Ron could turn it around now

There will be alot of people here that even if Ron could turn it around and be a model player and do it all right , It will still always be thrown up in face about his past.

stipo

Like has been said before--He's Young. Yes, he's different, but he's still very young. I'm 39 now. I'm sure all of you younger guys think your finished growing and maturing, but you're not, believe me.

Oh, I'm sure this has been debated before, but Ron also happens to be the best player on the team. Not the most important maybe, but the best.

I don't know what it is, btowncolt, but somehow your avatar just upsets and disturbs me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it has something to do with a sponge wearing tighty whities...

Hes tenacious on defense like no player weve seen since the '80s.
    I love Ron's game BUT Jason in Greenfield might want to watch NBA TV or ESPN Classic sometime. The amount of D played in the league until '89-'90 or so is pretty much laughable.

Old as Dirt

I for one think it is shame for man to have the talent That Ron has, and is not mature enough to use it. I wonder if He even cares, when Pollared gets up off the bench the other nite and could not hardly walk to the scores table, to try and go back in the game. Or that JO tired last nite to play after He re injured His foot. or Austin playing with I bleieve it is a broke thumb. Oh my I am tired I want some time off. NUTS