Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Utah postgame thread

Banned

Default Re: Pacers/Utah postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't the passing that is the problem, it is the shooting. No one is consistently making anything, and no matter how good the passing is if the guy doesn't make the shot it isn't an assist. There are two equally important factors in what makes an assist, a good pass is only 50% of it.
    If you can pass you can rack up assists even with low shooting percentages. Nash is leading the league and his supporting cast is shooting around 43% minus his high percentage this year. Its a real sad state for second unit when Tyler is the only one consistently hitting guys for easy looks this month and nobody will ever confuse him with a passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    5 of them in the 4th quarter. 4 of them to start said quarter, as well
    that was brutal.

gotta love a young team. the jazz did something new, a nice little trap, and pacer kids had no clue what to do, missed a couple of shots and then started to panic. i for one will be glad when they start learning how to deal with adversity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Is it going to take a deep playoff run to get attendance back up?
    Yeah should probably just shut the balcony down at this point, it's pretty embarrasing.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    It isn't the passing that is the problem, it is the shooting. No one is consistently making anything, and no matter how good the passing is if the guy doesn't make the shot it isn't an assist. There are two equally important factors in what makes an assist, a good pass is only 50% of it.
    I'll disagree with both premises. It's the way we run offense. During the slow start and when the 21 point lead evaporated, most of our offensive possession are strictly some form of one man trying to score the ball.

Yes we had some scattered good looks in there we missed, but overall there was a lot of iso and very little ball and player movement. For the most part tonight, when we forced the defense to move with multiple passes and player movement, we were successful.

So, not hitting shots and having someone on the second unit who individually is a strong passer to me are much less important than keeping the ball and players moving crisply. I would add I think FG let the starters play to long into the 3rd quarter and could have used a timeout or two more effectively to try and break some momentum of Jazz runs and regroup.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    Yeah should probably just shut the balcony down at this point, it's pretty embarrasing.
    Please, not unless you're upgrading me for the rest of the season. I'd like to see the floor.

-Emiliano Zapata

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I think any chance for consistent, improved attendance will only come when it's obvious we secure a high enough seed for home court or possibly until once we win a series.

Maybe it will happen sooner, but the weeknight crowds seem pretty weak. Post-Super Bowl hangover?

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I think any chance for consistent, improved attendance will only come when it's obvious we secure a high enough seed for home court or possibly until once we win a series.

Maybe it will happen sooner, but the weeknight crowds seem pretty weak. Post-Super Bowl hangover?
    For now I'll go with the post-SB hangover until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance , we are still pretty low on the list but just last year our attendence was almost 1,000 people lower. If we continue this steady winning by next year I would expect to see us in the middle of the pack if not higher. Also we haven't played the Lakers, Heat, or Bulls at home yet like many other teams have had to spike up attendence. The teams we have played at home are Detroit, Cleveland, Charolette, Atlanta, Boston, Orlando, New Jersey, Orlando. With the exception of Orlando and Boston none of those teams are pulling any fans. The good news is all 14,500 people we are averaging are there to see the Pacers and the Pacers alone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sobleski For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Please, not unless you're upgrading me for the rest of the season. I'd like to see the floor.
    lol..sry..of course fill up the club level seats

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sobleski View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance , we are still pretty low on the list but just last year our attendence was almost 1,000 people lower. If we continue this steady winning by next year I would expect to see us in the middle of the pack if not higher. Also we haven't played the Lakers, Heat, or Bulls at home yet like many other teams have had to spike up attendence. The teams we have played at home are Detroit, Cleveland, Charolette, Atlanta, Boston, Orlando, New Jersey, Orlando. With the exception of Orlando and Boston none of those teams are pulling any fans. The good news is all 14,500 people we are averaging are there to see the Pacers and the Pacers alone.
    I can live with it untill Chicago comes to town and the other 3600 or so seat are filled with Bulls fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai432 View Post
    Definitely have to agree with you there. The guy has been playing pretty solid lately. He just needs to continue improving and getting better, if he can do that, Collison is going to be a nice guard for years to come.
    I just hope he doesn't get offended if we move him to backup when we play against larger elite point guards. I hate having DC on the floor When George has to guard his man. IF DC can't guard the point guard he shouldn't be on the floor. Luckily this is only an issue against a couple of teams.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gordon Hayward killed the Pacers during the Jazz run. He made shots, great passes, and good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by sobleski View Post
    Pacers have a better attendance on the road.... ha

Sports Logo

I was reading a Jazz forum some minutes ago and even they felt that this team deserved a better attendance.

Also, great win tonight. Glad that the guys bounced back

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    If you can pass you can rack up assists even with low shooting percentages. Nash is leading the league and his supporting cast is shooting around 43% minus his high percentage this year. Its a real sad state for second unit when Tyler is the only one consistently hitting guys for easy looks this month and nobody will ever confuse him with a passer.
    But the Suns also don't run an inside out game like we do. When the majority of your shots are coming from the perimeter, yes, you are likely to rack up plenty of assists. Just look at Collison's assist numbers with the Hornets. Point guards also take a little longer to develop than most realize and also have a longer shelf life than any other position. Nash wasn't even a solid player until his 5th season in the league.

With the Pacers current style, Collison needs to be a leader and get the players in the right position to run the offense which he's done a good job doing. But since he's also one of our best shooters, I just wish he could be a little more aggressive offensively like he was tonight. Until we surround Collison with more shooters, he needs to continue being a vocal presence on the court and directing guys how to best feed the big men.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I can't wait for AJ to be on a different team too..
    At what point is it AJ's fault? I mean seriously. No one's forcing him to take bad shots or turn the ball over.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Pacers blow a 21 pt lead.

Pacers get out reb 43-37.

Bench is terrible! Where's all this bench depth Bird feels he's got?
    What an attitude.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Croz you are defending DC when this wasn't even about him, its about the poor passing on our second unit which shoots tons of jumpers many by people who need to be passing.

Croz you are defending DC when this wasn't even about him, its about the poor passing on our second unit which shoots tons of jumpers many by people who need to be passing.
    True.

At least Tyler's learned to pass.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    True.

yeah, it was nice. not pretty or smooth, but nice. he is trying.

tyler is turning into a bit of a whiner though. not the only one on the team. if the pacers are not careful, they will get a reputation as chronic complainers.

In the game thread it was about Collison when you used that exact stat with Nash vs Collison and the team's shooting %s. So when you use that stat once again, in my opinion you made it about Collison and a continuation of that discussion. Plus, some of my post was a general post game comment regarding Darren.
    Last edited by croz24; 02-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    True.

He had several tonight hitting Roy and Lance up for some FT and had a couple more for bricks or setting up an extra pass to open man.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    But the Suns also don't run an inside out game like we do. When the majority of your shots are coming from the perimeter, yes, you are likely to rack up plenty of assists. Just look at Collison's assist numbers with the Hornets. Point guards also take a little longer to develop than most realize and also have a longer shelf life than any other position. Nash wasn't even a solid player until his 5th season in the league.

With the Pacers current style, Collison needs to be a leader and get the players in the right position to run the offense which he's done a good job doing. But since he's also one of our best shooters, I just wish he could be a little more aggressive offensively like he was tonight. Until we surround Collison with more shooters, he needs to continue being a vocal presence on the court and directing guys how to best feed the big men.
    LOL, I 'thanked' the post here by croz because I really agree with it, then I realized, like Asher pointed out, that the discussion was really regarding the bench's lack of ball movement.

I was able to watch most of the game, but was also bowling poorly at the same time the big lead disappeared. I do recall a nice pass from Hans to a cutting DJones for an And 1 play. I like that the guys on the bench are aggressive, but it's painfully obvious that to be successful, they HAVE to move the ball well. They are bench players for a reason - namely, they aren't dominating in any way. So someone needs to tell them to stop trying to play one-on-one and work together. There is enough talent there to be one unstoppable force. But they've got to work together for it.

As far as the starters go tonight: Danny came up big in the 4th, Hibbert was solid with 17/10 and good defense as always. And Collison I'm a BIG fan of Collison, as I've mentioned a number of times, and I'm convinced that with more time and good coaching, he's going to be very good. He has the confidence of this team and I think he plays with an understanding of his role and how the offense should run, and he plays within that. Also, very nice to see Paul George continue to contribute more and hit some big shots (like the 3 from straight out).

On the down side...David West, where were you tonight?

Overall, despite pissing away a huge lead with a little bit of sloppy play and a cold streak, it's another good win and the train keeps rollin'!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

also, FWIW the officiating of this game was horrible. and the officiating crew just didn't seem to care what anyone thought. very strange. most of the time, officials will listen and explain what they saw/called. these guys just and walked away.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    In the game thread it was about Collison when you used that exact stat with Nash vs Collison and the team's shooting %s. So when you use that stat once again, in my opinion you made it about Collison. Plus, some of my post was a general post game comment regarding Darren.
    That was the game thread where you said Nash wouldn't get assists here because we shoot bad but heading into today they shot .2% better when you take DC and Nash shots off the board.