Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give Lance a chance!

Default Give Lance a chance!

I for one am proud of Lance. He is trying to do the right thing. He is listening to his coaches, being a great teammate and making real progress as a player and person. Let him play his game as long as he stays under control. He is obviously better with the ball in his hands. He can make things happen. He is the best facilitator on the team. I think you tie his hands when you expect him to go stand in the corner and tone his game down so much. I wish while Hill is out, they would give him AJ's minutes at the point. He lights up with the ball in his hands and I think as long as he is under control and distributing and creating he can be a big plus for us. His defense has been much better than I expected also. I understand what the coaches are doing with him and it is working. Just show him some trust and let him be rewarded for the work he has done.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Give Lance a chance!

lance is being given a chance. and mostly doing ok.

but the thing that will lead to more minutes for lance [& AJ & lou et al] is better play. the pacers are starving for reserves that can soak up minutes without the team getting killed in the process. one thing i am certain about is better play will result in more playing time.

I definitely agree with that. In last nights game, Lou, Lance, Tyler and Dahntay were all doing a good job, the starters were struggling and obviously tired. The reservers were taken out and West and Hibbert returned and all the defensive energy left the game. Those reserve players were doing the job so why not let them do it. In the first half Lance was playing well. He had 2 steals, a rebound and 2 assists in about 4 minutes. He was also playing good defense and with a lot of energy which was definitely needed last night. I don't mean he deserved 30 minutes, but he deserved more than 5 or 6.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance needs to "do the dance" for the chance to advance, perchance? Maybe he should be willin' to keep chillin' like a villain to make his time on the floor more fulfillin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance needs to "do the dance" for the chance to advance, perchance? Maybe he should be willin' to keep chillin' like a villain to make his time on the floor more fulfillin'.
    I smell another round of haiku coming....
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance is getting more of a chance than his play has warranted, honestly. He has more shots than points, and more turnovers than assists. The guy he has defended is shooting over 50% from the field in a year where the league is shooting 44% so far.

So we should keep playing him more? I'm not so sure about that.

Last edited by xBulletproof; 02-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Lance just needs to score more, especially with Hill out.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I think he has been getting his chances, probably more then he should get. Alot of teams would send him to the D-League.

I want to see the Pacers win, I'd like to see an upgrade to the team in the PG/SG position to play along side Hill. Lance can sit on the bench unless it's garbage time and keep developing his game thru the summer and try again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Lance is getting more of a chance than his play has warranted, honestly. He has more shots than points, and more turnovers than assists. The guy he has defended is shooting over 50% from the field in a year where the league is shooting 44% so far.

You might want to supply a source for your numbers, if you want to be convincing. How many times do guys give up the ball without making progress when he is guarding them? How many times have you seen someone blow by him?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    You might want to supply a source for your numbers, if you want to be convincing. How many times do guys give up the ball without making progress when he is guarding them? How many times have you seen someone blow by him?

I agree, he's played very well defensively. He seems to be a clever defender.

I think they've told him to play D and pass the ball. And that's what he's doing. He seems to have a good attitude and be very coachable. I've been impressed.

The next step is for him to find his offense. Right now he knows he's not supposed to be an early option. So it makes him tentative. And then when he does try to score, I think he's wondering if he's making the right decision. The uncertainty affects his confidence. So he just needs more time to get used to his role.

I would love to see him play more minutes. I don't want the starters getting burned out with this crazy schedule. Depth is supposed to be our strength but so far Frank seems to be trying to run a more traditional rotation. Maybe that's because it's still early in the season.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance is getting a chance and has AJ's minutes. Its just that GH is hurt so we need AJ to play now too.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

Lance is getting just over two shots a game hard to really judge his shooting on that. He's shooting close to 47% in his last 14 so he's getting better. He's also stepped his defense up since early on so I'd assume his defensive numbers have gone down recently too. I can't figure out how to look that up though.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 02-06-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Mood

To me it looks like Lance is playing a bit too tenative with decisions. It seems like he is so concentrated on getting his teammates the ball that he is passing when he was in position for his shot. Remember that he is still a really young guy and to me it seems that he is getting better and better each time he gets good minutes.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

My intuition with his situation is that eventually he's going to round into shape in terms of his ability to drive and finish and to create his own shots from mid range, and when that happens the defense will adjust, and when that happens his passing will really start to shine. That's when he'll have arrived, and from there it's a matter of keeping it up (especially avoiding a let down on his surprisingly improved defense), developing his 3-ball, and of course keep his nose clean with any/all off-court distractions.

Barring a left turn, I think this is where we're headed over the next year or two.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sounds about right to me, Hicks.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.82games.com/1112/11IND4.HTM

Per-48 Production for Lance: 10.3 points on 13.3 shots with an eFG% of .290, 7.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 6.5 turnovers = PER of 3.1

Per-48 Production against Lance: 24.1 points on 20.2 shots with an eFG% of .532, 8.2 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 3.4 turnovers = PER of 20.6

He has a net-negative PER of 17.5

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Personally, I like Lance size and potential talent. Thus far and IMHO, most of his mistakes have been rookie mistakes, but not the type of mistakes that gives me cause for concern. He's better defensively than I would have given credit for originally. Honestly, once Lance starts learning the FUNDAMENTALS of the game, I believe he will be a much better player. Each time I watch him play, I can tell that he's trying his HARDEST to fight the temptation of resorting back to his streetball skills. Lance is raw, unrefined talent.

As a side note, I would LOVE for Vogel to give him the scoring green light in our next blowout game just so we can see what his "unrestricted" talent looks like.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

With Hill out and Hansbrough and Price not being able to hit the broad side of the barn we need one of two things to happen. Either Vogel needs to make sure either Granger or George are always on the court (not a bad idea to do anyways) or Lance needs to start looking to score more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    With Hill out and Hansbrough and Price not being able to hit the broad side of the barn we need one of two things to happen. Either Vogel needs to make sure either Granger or George are always on the court (not a bad idea to do anyways) or Lance needs to start looking to score more.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rotations have been reflecting that as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post

Per-48 Production for Lance: 10.3 points on 13.3 shots with an eFG% of .290, 7.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 6.5 turnovers = PER of 3.1

Per-48 Production against Lance: 24.1 points on 20.2 shots with an eFG% of .532, 8.2 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 3.4 turnovers = PER of 20.6

Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rotations have been reflecting that as of late.
    You would have a better idea of that than me, as of late I have only been able to watch the games through the box score.

Thanks, not sure if I'm reading this right, but isn't that -17.5 per his sg numbers? Looks like he's +6 at pg. Just learning some of these stats, so I'm probably wrong.

I'd like to see a breakdown of his defensive stats. Especially the last 10 games or so. From the eye test it looks like he's been much better recently. Overall he's -26 net points on the season per 48 for an average of just over a point a game. Considering he's barely scoring, I'd say that's pretty good.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

I think you're right CJ, looks like he's actually done pretty well statistically at PG.

that sites numbers are fishy. According your source Paul george spends a third of his minutes playing shooting forward(sg=42%, sf=21%). PG doesn't play SF, therefore i doubt their accuracy when it comes to who a certain player is guarding.

Are you trying to say Lances defense hasn't been pretty good? I don't even remember many team defense lapses (experience), but I feel his on the ball defense has been pretty impressive.

that sites numbers are fishy. According your source Paul george spends a third of his minutes playing shooting forward(sg=42%, sf=21%). PG doesn't play SF, therefore i doubt their accuracy when it comes to who a certain player is guarding.

Are you trying to say Lances defense hasn't been pretty good? I don't even remember many team defense lapses (experience), but I feel his on the ball defense has been pretty impressive.
    Everyone here swore Lance was playing PG here until Vogel said something about it. 82 games was right about that. Ill trust them before people here.

As for CJ Jones, if you look at the PG stats he's barely played there. His minutes are smalls is, but the sample size at PG is minuscule.