Thread: Amare Stoudamire's brother dies in car accident

Hybrid View

Default Amare Stoudamire's brother dies in car accident

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...dies-car-crash

Amare Stoudemire's brother dies

Brother Of Amare Stoudemire Killed In Car Accident

Hazell Stoudemire, the brother of New York Knicks star Amare Stoudemire, died in a car accident early Monday morning in Florida.

The brother of New York Knicks star Amare Stoudemire died in a car accident early Monday morning in Florida, a team spokesman confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

The Florida Highway Patrol issued a report that said Hazell Stoudemire was driving a Cadillac Escalade north on U.S. 27 in Lake Wales, Fla., at a high rate of speed and collided with the rear of a tractor trailer at 1:42 a.m. ET. The report said that the 35-year-old was not wearing a seatbelt and was declared dead at the scene. Police are awaiting test results to see if alcohol was involved in the accident.

The team said that Stoudemire is traveling to Florida to be with his family and will not be with the team for Monday night's game against the Jazz in New York. The team did not know when he will return. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said Stoudemire can take "whatever time he needs to take" before returning to the team. After Monday night's game at Utah, the Knicks travel to Washington to play the Wizards on Wednesday and return home to host the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday.

"I know he's very close to his brother so my heart's out for him," D'Antoni said after the team's shootaround on Monday, adding, "He cherishes his family, he does a great job of maintaining all the relationships. Like I said, this is just a trying moment for him."

D'Antoni has communicated with Stoudemire through text messages but has yet to speak with the star power forward. Reserve Jared Jeffries will start in place of Stoudemire on Monday against Utah.

"My thoughts and prayers and everything's with him," said D'Antoni, who also coached Stoudemire in Phoenix for the first six years of his career. "Whatever time he needs to take, he'll take and we'll get him back as soon as possible."

Amare Stoudemire is a former Mr. Basketball in Florida and went straight to the NBA out of high school. He grew up in the Lake Wales area, which is in central Florida.

Default Re: Amare Stoudamire's brother dies in car accident

thats sad... my prayers go to his family

I have to give credit to Amare for rising above his screwed up family.

His dad died when he was young his mother's a drug addict, one of his brothers was a murderer list goes on.

Yet he managed to rise above all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

His dad died when he was young his mother's a drug addict, one of his brothers was a murderer list goes on.

i mean ur really going to call someones family screwed up after his brother just died in an accident? thats messed up

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    i mean ur really going to call someones family screwed up after his brother just died in an accident? thats messed up
    You're not familiar with his life story are you? Well here's part of it anyways

http://www.sptimes.com/News/120401/S...h_a_BIG_.shtml

Born in Lake Wales, Stoudemire was 12 when his mother took him and his brothers to New York. Two weeks later, his father died of a heart attack. His mother has been in and out of the criminal justice system, mostly for theft-related charges, since 1974. His brother, Hazell Jr., 24, was a prep basketball star at Bradenton Southeast but is serving three to nine years in a New York prison on drug and sexual abuse charges.

On the court, Stoudemire's life has been just as chaotic. He has attended six schools in two years and sat out his junior season because the Florida High School Activities Association declared him academically ineligible.

Through summer school and night classes, Stoudemire regained his eligibility for his senior season, said he has a 2.5 GPA and will take the SAT in January. His coach said Stoudemire is on schedule to graduate. Rebuilding his life hasn't been easy. Consider the cast of characters it has included:

Travis King, whom Stoudemire and his younger brother, Marwan, lived with for 16 months. It was with King that Stoudemire decided to attend a camp sponsored by Adidas (for whom King coaches) and to give an oral commitment to Memphis (with whom King is associated). King brought Stoudemire to Orlando and was accused by HBO of trying to use him to obtain an Orlando coaching job, a charge King denied. Stoudemire later broke with King.

George Raveling, the Nike representative and former Southern Cal coach who gave Stoudemire's mother $100 while she was in a Polk County jail. He said it was his own money and had nothing to do with Nike. Stoudemire later switched summer camps, from Adidas to Nike, but he said it was because he was looking for new competition.

John Adkins, one of Stoudemire's former youth coaches who later posted $1,000 bail for Carrie Stoudemire. Adkins, a Nike-affiliated coach, said he did it as a favor to the family. In August, the FHSAA cleared Stoudemire to play after deciding that Raveling's and Adkins' actions benefitted Carrie Stoudemire, and not her son.

Marc Little, the Jacksonville-based publicist who showed up at the Nike camp, passing out press kits and his business card to reporters. Little said he was working for free, and Stoudemire said the publicist is close to the family.

The Rev. Bill Williams Jr., the Orlando contractor who became a Stoudemire adviser after the latter's break with King. Williams once testified to the FHSAA that he was Stoudemire's legal guardian. But Stoudemire later said he was unaware that Williams had served three prison sentences. In May, Williams went back to prison to serve a 41-month sentence for bribing the Tampa Housing Authority planning director in 1995. Stoudemire said the family broke off all contact.

"The worst part was Reverend Williams," Stoudemire said. "Because I kind of figured he was a down-to-earth type of guy, and it turned out he's not."

Carrie Stoudemire, 46, is harsh on those who were once involved in her son's life.

"They didn't really care for Amare as a regular child," she said. "They just saw what he was going to be. They didn't love him for who he was, but what he could be."

Those days, Stoudemire said, are long over.

He, his brother, Marwan, and their mother have been reunited, and the family lives in an Orlando apartment where she works and counsels teens on substance abuse.

"It wasn't a pleasant trip, but God found a way," his mother said. "I've seen this coming, it was just a matter of getting out and getting together with my family and getting those others out of the way. They were taking him for a joyride."

So what else is there to know about Stoudemire?

"I try to have fun with everything I do," he said. "People forget I'm still a kid, even though we have all this quote-unquote "business' going on."

He doesn't mind the pressure of being the nation's consensus No. 1 recruit. "It feels good, to tell you the truth," he said. "But you have to make sure it doesn't give you a big head. A lot of players who become No. 1 in the country say, "Oh, I can come to practice late and just shoot around because I'm No. 1.'

"You've got to work on being No. 1, because you may be No. 1 at this level, but at the next maybe you're just in the top 50."

In fact, Stoudemire almost enjoys his notoriety.

"As a matter of fact, it's been kind of fun," he said. "Because I love signing autographs."

Stoudemire has brought Cypress Creek into the spotlight with him. Last season, Barnett's first, the team went 15-13 for its first winning record in the school's 10-year history. Attendance has risen from averaging 100 a game to about 1,000. Video cameras follow Stoudemire all over the court, and fans trade NBA scout sightings.

Stoudemire said the chances are "50-50" he will declare for the draft, but he is hoping a college will try to recruit him. He gets no recruiting letters whatsoever, and has asked his coach to call around and let coaches know he is available.

But he changes his mind, like any teen. One week Stoudemire said Memphis is "hands down" his choice, the next he said "it's wide-open."

But since age 8, what never has been in doubt is his dream to play in the NBA.

On his right bicep is tattooed STAT -- Standing Tall And Talented. On his left, Stoudemire dreams of tattooing the NBA logo and this inscription:

"Many are picked," he said, "but few are chosen."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

Actually I agree with you. It would appear early on that his brother brought the tragedy onto himself and his family. What if he'd killed someone else instead with his driving.

So I'm very sympathetic to Amare, probably more than I normally would be actually. Having to rise up out of that and yet have it keep kicking you in the heart...that's a rough go of it. The people he would lean on are the people that are the problem. Hopefully he has a good circle of friends and extended family to turn to and push through this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. As someone who lost my father as a younger kid, I know how losing a family member goes. This will do one of two things for him: It will bother him and disrupt his game later on in the week/month, or he will play like a beast using his brother's spirit as motivation. Either way, I hope the best for him and his family.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully Amare is alright, that sucks.

RIP.

Mood

This puts basketball in the proper perspective. Family is so much more important and I hope that he and his family recover in their greiving process.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

man, that must really suck. condolences to amare and his family.

Emotional Amar’e eulogizes big brother

LAKE WALES, Fla. — In the end, the pain was too much to bear. Amar’e Stoudemire rarely shows emotion on the basketball court, and those close to him say had not cried since he was 12, when his father died. But Stoudemire could not hold back any longer.

As he spoke yesterday at his brother Hazell’s funeral here at the First Baptist Church, a flood of feelings came forth.

“Big brother, oh man,’’ Stoudemire said as he hunched over the pulpit, just above Hazell’s closed casket, covered with a bouquet of red roses. “He was my guardian angel. He pretty much guided me all the way through, I’m proud to say.’’

Earlier, when Stoudemire first walked into the church, the casket was open and he lovingly reached in to touch his brother’s hand. This was a day filled with raw emotion.

“This is hurting me more than you could imagine,’’ Stoudemire said.

Dressed in gray slacks, a light-blue shirt, gray tie, and wearing sunglasses, Stoudemire, the rock of the Knicks franchise, broke down with tears of love for his big brother Hazell, who died Monday at the age of 35. A nine-man Knicks contingent, which included All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony, owner Jim Dolan, interim general manager Glen Grunwald, assistant GM Allan Houston and teammate Baron Davis, watched from 10 rows away, along with about 1,000 other mourners.

Understanding the pain Stoudemire was going through, the crowd broke into applause and shouts of encouragement four different times during his seven-minute tribute to his brother. Each time Stoudemire steadied himself and continued to honor his brother, who was known as “Big STAT.”

The 6-foot-10 Hazell had a world of problems, spent time in prison, was arrested 22 times since 1993, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s website, but everyone who spoke yesterday emphasized Hazell finally was getting his life in order.

Early Monday morning, Hazell was killed in a car accident when his Cadillac Escalade ran into the back of a tractor-trailer on U.S. 27. The Cadillac was traveling at a high rate of speed, and Hazell was not wearing a seat belt, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Hazell tried hard to turn his life around, said Pastor Jermaine Shepard, who delivered an inspiring eulogy, noting Hazell even had become something of a religious scholar, proudly showing off the Bible app on his iPhone. Hazell might have become a better basketball player than Amar’e, but played only one year of high school ball. That year, his team went undefeated and won the state championship.

“He never lost a basketball game,’’ Amar’e said.

Hazell did not return to Bradenton Southeast after his junior year. In so many ways, he never reached success in life, but without his guidance, Amar’e never would have become the player and person he is today. Hazell played the role of older brother, father and even mother, because growing up their mother, Carrie Stoudemire, was swallowed up her own demons. Carrie is a preacher now, and she also spoke yesterday.

Amar’e, 29, easily could have been overwhelmed by the world around him as so many other young men were, especially after his father, Hazell Sr., a landscaper, died at the age of 41. It was his father who encouraged his sons to Stand Tall and Talented. That’s how Hazell got the nickname Big STAT, which was tattooed on his neck.

“I know where you are at,’’ Amar’e said of Hazell, “in paradise, sitting on your own throne, chilling. I’m going to hold it down for you, Big Homey. He looked out for me. He kept me off the streets. He gave me courage. He gave me that path. He did everything for me. He tried to do the right thing.’’

Amar’e Stoudemire did the right thing yesterday, telling the world he never would be the success he is today without the guidance and help of his big brother. Hazell could not escape his big problems. Amar’e escaped only because Hazell was there to keep trouble away and to make sure his little brother did not walk the same dangerous path.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...#ixzz1mC96MeJD