Thread: Steven A. Smith Black Coaches Don't Get Respect From Black Players...

Default Steven A. Smith Black Coaches Don't Get Respect From Black Players...

You guys know my feelings about Steven A. Smith Heres an article in todays Philadelphia Inquirer about black coaches not getting respect from black players and he insinuates its because black coaches aren't getting paid the same money as white coaches. This was written before Ayers was fired although Smith may have already known Ayers was getting canned.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ll/7915355.htm

Default Re: Steven A. Smith Black Coaches Don't Get Respect From Black Players...

Race has nothing to do with this. I have never even considered race before when thinking about whether a coach is a good or bad coach. And I am not about to now

Default Re: Steven A. Smith Black Coaches Don't Get Respect From Black Players...

I agree UB, I feel that if you can coach regardless of race or the salary your making then the players will respect you as a coach.He mentions Phil Jackson, Van Gundy and Larry Brown getting respect because they make big money but he didn't mention that those 3 coaches started out with small salaries and earned the respect of players because they are great coaches thats why they make the big money now because they've shown they are at the top of their profession, Van Gundy was an assistant for years before making the leap he just got the respect from Knicks players because they knew he could coach.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In today's NBA, NO coach is going to get the players respect becasue the players OWN the league now. Team loses 40 straight games...change the coach. Look at what's happend in the EC for proof. The worst teams and the best all can the coaches at the drop of a hat.

Give a coach a gauranteed 10 year contract with 20% ownership and the players will take notice. Money is to the players (black or white) as force is to terrorists...the only thing they understand.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

In today's NBA, NO coach is going to get the players respect becasue the players OWN the league now. Team loses 40 straight games...change the coach. Look at what's happend in the EC for proof. The worst teams and the best all can the coaches at the drop of a hat.

Give a coach a gauranteed 10 year contract with 20% ownership and the players will take notice. Money is to the players (black or white) as force is to terrorists...the only thing they understand.
    I totally disagree. Many coaches get the players respect. I think currently about 15 of the 29 coahes have the players respect. The amt of money the coach makes has no effect on this.

The backing the coach has from the ownership and Gm makes a difference.

But more than anything the players respect those coaches that know what they are doing.

The issue about white coaches making more clouds the issue especially when the ones he named all earned thier saleries through years of preformance.

I know that Jackson and Van Gundy each were promoted as assistant coaches to head coaches--a situation which certianly doesn't generally lead to job security or big contracts.

Did Karl's big contract help him out when getting his players attention?

Do Lenny or Zeke not get market value because they are black?

If there is truth in the arguement that Black atheletes don't respect Black coaches I'd say it has to do with the fact that most Black coaches are hired to be "player coaches" as opposed to be disiplinarines. Just a thought how many Black coaches aren't considered "player coaches"?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

He said black coaches don't get paid as much?? Does he even KNOW what the Pacers paid Isiah?? Debunks his "theory" really fast.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could debunk his theory in so many different ways [size=9:f7bad86177](Lenny Wilkens gets Marberry's respect, Terry Stotts is paid low and gets no respect, Terry Porter is paid low and gets enough respect that the Bucks are the surprise team of the year (so far), Don Nelson was paid a ton by the Knicks and got no respect when the players revolted and demanded JVG)[/size] but I really don't want to comment on this article.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I disagree too. When I was working I could care less what someone made unless I was in-line for their job. Hence, I don't think players care what coaches get because the coaches are not part of the salary cap.

Look at Bird and Carlisle. The Players all know Carlisle has Birds backing, that's all it takes.

All it takes is a management backed authoritative coach that will sit players butt's on the bench if they don't play his way.

We have seen a flurry of coaches getting fired this year in the east, so much that it has become a topic of discussion all over the place.

And it is somsething that is hard to understand for Europeans, football (yeah yeah soccer) fans all over the world.
    The average tenure of a coach there is aroun 14 months. there are many more teams, lots of money and many more players.
    Even a small country like Netherlands (16 mio people) has 28 teams in the premier leage, UK i Believe 38 and lots of EU countries are in between those numbers.
    Coaches change places regularly, crossing borders just as quickly.

In today's NBA the players have longer term contracts, they can not move on their own accord, can not accept contract improvements elsewhere, only the franchise can "trade" them.
    As Larry Bird says, "chemistry" between coach and team is only valid for a limited time, this is not the case for all players on the team, most often not for the "stars" but they have another mindset then the "roleplayers" which is part of what makes them "stars" (or did you think it was talent alone?)
    Most players on a team need the chemistry to go the extra mile, within certani limits that chemistry works but after time and depending on the build of the team that is more or less then 2.5 years, this chemistry runs dry. The half-time explosion is old news, the practise routine is old news, the X and O's change some but not that much, substitution paterns are cast in marble and the intensity dies.

Now when there is an active market for players, and the coach get's "fresh" blood with regularity, except perhaps for some stars, then the chemistry can last longer, because the "new" doesn't wear out, in a more restricted market which the NBA has (as does EU football) where major players are moving less because of the enormous marketing value teams in combination with certain players have build (branding) the only thing that's left to change with regularity is the coaching staff.

It also makes franchises and players more alert to the signals of these deminishing chemistry workings, so that makes coach changes more regular, with less interval, the end one can foresee to that will be around an 20 month interval.
    The mid-season change of coach or 1 month before play-off for teams bordering on making it or not will become more regular, the shock effect of a coaching change will in some cases help temas to invigorate themselves and (barely) making the play offs will then be the result.

Example? NY. It is definitely not only the trades, Lenny is at this moment in time a new face, new options, that in combination with the trades leads to the resurrection (for now) of the Knicks.

NJ, again, different boss, someone got what he wanted, chemistry works again for a while.

Forget the long tenure coaches for the near future, 1.5 - 2 year coaching will become the thing to do, contracts will remain 3 - 4 years, after all you can not plan chemistry.

Does it have anything to do with race? nothing whatsoever,. with pay? nothing whatsoever, with what players think? barely. It is all about chemistry and shock, nitro injections for the struggling teams.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!