Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers third in ESPN power rankings!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers third in ESPN power rankings!

I was shocked that they didn't have OKC above them, but I'll take the recognition (especially if it helps sell local tickets)!

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

The city is all theirs again with the Super Bowl circus leaving town. And after the show the committee (of one) was just treated to -- when Indy added the defending champs to a list of road victims that already includes the Bulls, Lakers, Celts and Magic -- our only complaint for now is that they don't call it Conseco anymore.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers third in ESPN power rankings!

Really don't think we're better than the Thunder, but I'll take it. Very glad to see that the road wins are getting the credit they deserve, think they're a great indicator of the team's poise and ability.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brohan Cruyff For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

No way we're the third best team in the league. Pretty cool though!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way we're the third best team in the league. Pretty cool though!
    That's the spirit!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ASkin_ANight For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well after the Mavs game they had the 4th best win PCT and had done it with the fewest home games. They are well above .500 on the road and that includes beating several +500 teams.

You have Foster and Hill for the Magic game, or for the Mavs/Magic split in order to reduce the total minutes needed from everyone, and you easily win that Magic game. They had tons of dead leg shots that would not only have pulled them ahead but would have stretched the lead.

We have a very, very good team on our hands. It just shows the massive impact of two things: two huge "FA" additions (counting Hill as a virtual FA) and the elimination of JOB.

JOB had a 5-6th seed team on his hands and was winning 32-35 games with them instead of 42-44. And then you add a couple of big upgrades to the squad and you move up to 50-54 wins, that's not really a huge stretch, especially if you also have a strong sophmore who is becoming a big impact player (and was not allowed to do much for JOB).

I'm normally leading the "let's get real" group, but honestly what this team does on the court makes them a contender. Great defense all the time, strong rebounding, and balanced scoring.

2004 Pistons anyone? It's not far-fetched, it's a proven formula.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

We may not be third best but our play has been indicative of what this team is truly capable of. We've played some good ball against so good teams and beat them in their houses. IMO we haven't even scratched he surface of what this team can accomplish. I still feel that this roster can use improvement at the starting 1 and backup 5 spots.

3rd in power rankings for the fast few games is not really that surprising. Just consider the quality of opponents, plus the teams that were beaten ON THE ROAD are "high-quality opponents" (if you're basing it on the opponent's reputation).

While it is debatable if they deserve the recognition, it is nice to see the Pacers getting some media love. This will help get the team some exposure to casual fans and help the team boost their marketability, something that is really needed by this franchise.

I think people get confused by power rankings. Indiana may not be the third best team in the league overall, but the way they are playing, they are.

Power rankings are indicative of how a team performs now, not how well they will perform in the future.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

haha Last week we weren't getting enough national recognition. This week we're getting too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Well after the Mavs game they had the 4th best win PCT and had done it with the fewest home games. They are well above .500 on the road and that includes beating several +500 teams.

You have Foster and Hill for the Magic game, or for the Mavs/Magic split in order to reduce the total minutes needed from everyone, and you easily win that Magic game. They had tons of dead leg shots that would not only have pulled them ahead but would have stretched the lead.

We have a very, very good team on our hands. It just shows the massive impact of two things: two huge "FA" additions (counting Hill as a virtual FA) and the elimination of JOB.

JOB had a 5-6th seed team on his hands and was winning 32-35 games with them instead of 42-44. And then you add a couple of big upgrades to the squad and you move up to 50-54 wins, that's not really a huge stretch, especially if you also have a strong sophmore who is becoming a big impact player (and was not allowed to do much for JOB).

I'm normally leading the "let's get real" group, but honestly what this team does on the court makes them a contender. Great defense all the time, strong rebounding, and balanced scoring.

2004 Pistons anyone? It's not far-fetched, it's a proven formula.
    And I want to add...the team is performing great without benefit of training camp, preseason games, and regular practice time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I want to highlight this point as people like to overlook it. Under JOB the only reason this team won was in spite of him. This team would have been competing for the 4-6 seed last year with Vogel as the head coach on the first day of training camp.

I think that's a little unfair on JOB. He underachieved in his last year and a half, but he squeezed every win he could have out of the two teams before that.

I still can't get over how many close losses they had in 08-09. Were it not for a few unlucky bounces that could have easily been a playoff team. Part of that was JOB's mind-numbing late-game rotations, but even until last season under Vogel this team had a tendency of fading in the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I want to highlight this point as people like to overlook it. Under JOB the only reason this team won was in spite of him. This team would have been competing for the 4-6 seed last year with Vogel as the head coach on the first day of training camp.
    In hindsight, I don't even see how we won the number of games that we did under JOB. Then again, jack up enough 3's with descent to good 3PT shooters, and I guess any team can win on any given night.

It just makes me so angry that we may have "wasted" one year of Hibbert, George, Hansbrough, and Rush's (yeah, I said it) playing potential by keeping JOB one year too many.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    I think that's a little unfair on JOB. He underachieved in his last year and a half, but he squeezed every win he could have out of the two teams before that.

I still can't get over how many close losses they had in 08-09. Were it not for a few unlucky bounces that could have easily been a playoff team. Part of that was JOB's mind-numbing late-game rotations, but even until last season under Vogel this team had a tendency of fading in the clutch.
    Late-game rotations...mid-game rotations....pre-game rotations....game to game rotations....

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    In hindsight, I don't even see how we won the number of games that we did under JOB. Then again, jack up enough 3's with descent to good 3PT shooters, and I guess any team can win on any given night.

It just makes me so angry that we may have "wasted" one year of Hibbert, George, Hansbrough, and Rush's (yeah, I said it) playing potential by keeping JOB one year too many.
    I wonder what kind of player Rush would have been with Vogel as coach rather than JOB. There's at least a chance his potential would have been realized to a greater extent (though no guarantees, obviously).
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

Quote Originally Posted by Brohan Cruyff View Post
    I wonder what kind of player Rush would have been with Vogel as coach rather than JOB. There's at least a chance his potential would have been realized to a greater extent (though no guarantees, obviously).
    At the minium...involved in the offense instead of waiting in the corners for a pass.

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

This probably shouldn't bother me all that much, but it would have been appropriate to throw up a picture of one of our guys on the main page for this week's power-rankings, and at least make note of our accomplishment in the summary before the rankings. When was the last time we were ranked this high? I think one of our players (maybe Paul George) warrants more recognition for his/the team's accomplishments than Jeremy Lin, Paul Pierce, and Tony Parker.

Maybe this will motivate our team, but I dont think any team has made such a move since pre-season and has not been represented via photo or in the summary. Thats just a bit ridiculous.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    I think people get confused by power rankings. Indiana may not be the third best team in the league overall, but the way they are playing, they are.

Power rankings are indicative of how a team performs now, not how well they will perform in the future.
    Lol after that Magic game IDK how anybody could say we're playing the 3rd best brand of basketball in the league right now. [/COLOR]

Who cares whether or not we're that good (which we probably aren't) the fact that we're even considered to be that good right now is a big step in the turning around of this franchise.

I'm a little surprised/disappointed in some of you still not believing we are a good team. Maybe it's a defense mechanism developed over the JOB years - expecting the worst in an attempt to temper the disappointment. I get that. But somewhere along the way I think we reached a turning point - when we started EXPECTING rather than hoping to win on any given night. There is no way to look at how this team plays (still no back-to-back losses), how they respond to adversity (see road record), and roster depth, and not believe we are a serious threat in the Eastern Conference THIS season.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

What's great about this team is that they go into every game believing they are the best and they can compete with anybody.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I just hope that our performance against Orlando didn't ruin the chance to impress the casual fans to come back. I think the sky is the limit for this team and it's time to see that kind of crowd at every game in the Fieldhouse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure seeing us house Dallas in the second half live like Stein did had to leave a pretty big impact.

The team clearly had dead legs against Orlando. Every miss was short.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

We are a pretty damm good team.. We have beat teams in their Dojo.

Why do we not deserve to be the 3rd best? Philly has had a cupcake schedule and have played a ton of there games at home. Yes they beat Chitown! But at there house.

We have beaten 2 of the best home teams in the league..

LAL and Chicago..

This team is for real and will continue to get better. We played horrible vs Orlando! But we were still in it.. What does that tell you? at our worse we almost beat Orlando. We made runs just couldn't get over the top. Legs were shot dead.

By me ^^

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

The road record along with the great road wins against the beasts of the league is huge. Not losing two in a row is huge. The fact that the only two home losses are to one team is significant. All great indicators for a nice playoff run.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Our game against philly at home on march 14th just got picked up for airing on espn. At least the put their cameras where their ranks are.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post: