Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Seattle might be getting a team?

  1. #1
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Seattle might be getting a team?

    A wealthy San Francisco hedge-fund manager and officials in the Seattle mayor's office have been working behind the scenes for eight months to bring an NBA team back to the city as early as next fall and build a new arena, according to emails and documents that reveal a far more concerted effort than previously known.

    A Dec. 13 agenda for a meeting between the parties shows they were talking about details such as a "Review of Basic Deal Structure," "Financing Issues," including "City Debt Capacity," and "Security for Public Financing."

    The documents, released Friday to The Seattle Times under a public-disclosure request, also provide the first glimpse of how the largely unknown hedge-fund manager, 44-year-old Seattle native Christopher Hansen, approached the city about his desire to buy an NBA team and build an arena south of Safeco Field.

    In an initial email laying out his vision, Hansen told city officials an arena could be built with minimal impact on taxpayers.
    Kings up for grabs?

    Although the documents don't mention how Seattle would obtain a team, they show the city has been following developments in Sacramento, which is under a March 1 deadline to come up with a viable proposal to build an arena for the Sacramento Kings. In September, Hirsh emailed a copy of an Associated Press story to Raup that outlined the Sacramento situation.

    If Sacramento fails, the Kings could be playing in Seattle next fall if the city and Hansen reach an agreement, according to a Seattle City Hall source who has been briefed on the matter.
    Eyes on Sacramento

    What happens in Sacramento could drive the process.

    Sacramento is attempting to secure the financing to build a new downtown arena for the Kings, who have played since 1988 in what is now known as Power Balance Pavilion, formerly Arco Arena. At 17,317 capacity, it is the smallest arena in the NBA and is also one of the oldest, and lacks many of the revenue-generating amenities of new arenas.

    The Kings are owned by Joe and Gavin Maloof, who have run into some well-documented financial issues in recent years, specifically concerning their investment in the Palms Casino in Las Vegas, and they are pressing for a new arena to be built immediately or to relocate the team somewhere it will make more money.

    The Kings almost moved to Anaheim last season before NBA Commissioner David Stern stepped in and said the city should be allowed more time to try to keep the team. Given that the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers already play in the Southern California market, the owners of those teams might balk at a competitor.

    The Kings are an original member of the NBA, which dates to 1949, and are one of the most well-traveled, having played in Rochester, N.Y.; Cincinnati; and Kansas City-Omaha before Sacramento.

    Under the NBA's March 1 deadline for Sacramento to present a viable financing plan, a new arena would be located at the downtown rail yards at a cost of roughly $400 million. The city has proposed to raise about $200 million by leasing the rights to the city's parking spaces for 50 years.

    On Friday, the city announced the names of 13 companies that have submitted proposals to win those rights. The city is expected on Feb. 14 to present to the City Council the proposals it considers the most viable. It also has been expected that a proposed arena builder would donate roughly $50 million to the project.

    The Kings are struggling on the court, with a losing record, and attendance has suffered, with its average of 14,267 per game through Feb. 3 ranking 26th among 30 teams.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._arena05m.html

  2. #2
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    The NBA needs to open up the bidding on the Hornets. They aren't having much luck finding an owner to keep the team in New Orleans.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Seattle Kings does not sound right in my ears. But yeah, it would be nice for Seattle to have a team.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    article does raise an interesting point. if you were Christopher Hansen which team would you rather buy and move to seattle. sacramento or new orleans?

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA needs to open up the bidding on the Hornets. They aren't having much luck finding an owner to keep the team in New Orleans.
    They have potential owners set up (the Benson group the Chouest group and the Mike Dunleavy sr group(I pray for Hornets fans sake that doesn't happen ) they just cant sell the team until March. The Hornets are doing better than a lot of other NBA teams .

    The NBA only bought the team because the last owner Shinn was basically broke and had to step in before it got worse. Much like the Dodgers and frank Mccourt situation.

  7. #6

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Seattle should have never had the Sonics stolen from them... As for the naming, I believe if Seattle can get a team for next year, they can still be called the Supersonics.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seattle should have never had the Sonics stolen from them... As for the naming, I believe if Seattle can get a team for next year, they can still be called the Supersonics.
    This is absolutely correct. Seattle made sure that they didn't take the name so that one day they could have have the sonics again. However the Thunder have all the history, banners and records.

    Sonicsgate

  9. #8
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Yeah, I hate that they were stolen. The Zombie Sonics will forever be known as "stolen" and rightfully so. I will never buy Starbucks, ever. I hope the Kings move up there and become the Zombie Sonics' Kryptonite.

    EDIT: I guess I would buy Starbucks again, if only the CEO guy would buy the Hornets and bring the team back that he gave away to OKC. In the process give the "Hornets" history back to Charlotte and move forward.
    Last edited by Steagles; 02-05-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I hate that they were stolen. The Zombie Sonics will forever be known as "stolen" and rightfully so. I will never buy Starbucks, ever. I hope the Kings move up there and become the Zombie Sonics' Kryptonite.
    Just like the Colts were stolen they will forever be known as "stolen" and rightfully so.

    Baltimore should of never had their Colts stolen feel bad for the people of Baltimore for that happening. I would be so pissed if that happen to my team.

    trying to contain myself from doing the Whoopie speech in Eddie (terrible movie btw lol)

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like the Colts were stolen they will forever be known as "stolen" and rightfully so.

    Baltimore should of never had their Colts stolen feel bad for the people of Baltimore for that happening. I would be so pissed if that happen to my team.

    trying to contain myself from doing the Whoopie speech in Eddie (terrible movie btw lol)
    The Colts situation is totally different. The NFL didn't "conspire" to make sure they come to Indy. Irsay just left. The NBA made sure that they moved to OKC because Seattle wouldn't build the new arena.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like the Colts were stolen they will forever be known as "stolen" and rightfully so.

    Baltimore should of never had their Colts stolen feel bad for the people of Baltimore for that happening. I would be so pissed if that happen to my team.

    trying to contain myself from doing the Whoopie speech in Eddie (terrible movie btw lol)
    Nobody really cares anymore.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like the Browns were stolen they will forever be known as "stolen" and rightfully so.

    Cleveland should of never had their Browns stolen feel bad for the people of Cleveland for that happening. I would be so pissed if that happen to my team.
    Fixed. Go read "Glory for Sale" sometime.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Colts situation is totally different. The NFL didn't "conspire" to make sure they come to Indy. Irsay just left. The NBA made sure that they moved to OKC because Seattle wouldn't build the new arena.
    That is Seattle's fault for not building an arena. They would of stayeed IMO if they did. You cant make empty threats of leaving look what it has got the Kings this year. I personally could never move a team because that is just wrong to the fans of your team and to the franchise.


    Cdash if the Pacers left tomorrow in the middle of the night for Seattle I would never forgive or never forget that. Would you??

    I root and support for the Indiana Pacers not the Seattle Pacers. Also getting a new team wouldnt solve anything IMO yes you get a new team but I dont want a new team I want my Indiana Pacers.


    The Browns were stole also but so were the Colts

    EDIT at least Cleveland got their franchise back. Baltimore didn't they got an expansion franchise. Indy should be the one who have the Indianapolis Ravens and Baltimore should still have the Colts.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-05-2012 at 07:59 PM.

  19. #14
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    672

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seattle Kings does not sound right in my ears. But yeah, it would be nice for Seattle to have a team.
    Seattle is actually in King county, so it wouldn't be that odd.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  20. #15
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    EDIT at least Cleveland got their franchise back. Baltimore didn't they got an expansion franchise. Indy should be the one who have the Indianapolis Ravens and Baltimore should still have the Colts.
    Tell that to Cleveland after Baltimore won a Super Bowl with THEIR players and have generally contended year and year out while the Browns have been a laughingstock since they came back. Some consolation prize.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  21. #16
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Is it too obvious to move the Hornets to Seattle?

  22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,369

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Wait a sec....Sacramento....a city that has a rabid and very supportive fanbase....could lose it's Team to Seattle....whereas the NBA is trying to find an Owner for the Hornets.

    There's no way that the NBA can steer these Owners that could move the Kings to purchase the Hornets instead and move them to Seattle?

    EDIT - or what Hicks said.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  24. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a sec....Sacramento....a city that has a rabid and very supportive fanbase....could lose it's Team to Seattle....whereas the NBA is trying to find an Owner for the Hornets.

    There's no way that the NBA can steer these Owners that could move the Kings to purchase the Hornets instead and move them to Seattle?

    EDIT - or what Hicks said.
    The Hornets are staying in NOLA they already have buyers in a bidding war they just cant sell the team until after the season.

  25. #19
    PANTONE 282 C ColorWerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burnsville, MN USA
    Posts
    45

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seattle Kings does not sound right in my ears. But yeah, it would be nice for Seattle to have a team.
    Almost happened in the NFL back in the mid-'70s:




  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColorWerx For This Useful Post:


  27. #20
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Bah, if the Kings move it should be back to KC. If they move to Seattle, what, the (admittedly, vagabond) history of a founding franchise just disappears into the ether so they can become the Sonics?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  28. #21

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Charlotte should get the Hornets name back. It was one of the best and most fitting names in sports.

  29. #22
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,237

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by ColorWerx View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Almost happened in the NFL back in the mid-'70s:



    Sounds much better than Seahawks.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  30. #23
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    i'm really hoping Seattle doesn't even get a chance at the Kings. The proposed arena in Sacramento looks pretty sweet and I think a deal will be made before the deadline.

  31. #24
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is Seattle's fault for not building an arena. They would of stayeed IMO if they did. You cant make empty threats of leaving look what it has got the Kings this year. I personally could never move a team because that is just wrong to the fans of your team and to the franchise.


    Cdash if the Pacers left tomorrow in the middle of the night for Seattle I would never forgive or never forget that. Would you??

    I root and support for the Indiana Pacers not the Seattle Pacers. Also getting a new team wouldnt solve anything IMO yes you get a new team but I dont want a new team I want my Indiana Pacers.


    The Browns were stole also but so were the Colts

    EDIT at least Cleveland got their franchise back. Baltimore didn't they got an expansion franchise. Indy should be the one who have the Indianapolis Ravens and Baltimore should still have the Colts.
    Well if the Pacers moved to Seattle, I'd probably consider moving there. I got family up there, and Seattle is one of the nicest cities/areas in the country.

    As far as the Colts. Baltimore was going to actually steal the team from Irsay via immanent domain. There was going to be a city council vote on it and once Irsay learned of it he never gave them the chance to vote.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  33. #25
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,520
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Seattle might be getting a team?

    Screw Seattle, if they had built a new arena the Sonics would not have left.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Similar Threads

  1. Just How Good are the Pacer Players??
    By xIndyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
  2. NBA Coach Power Rankings: O'Brien 23rd
    By Hibbert in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 6
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  5. SportsGuy eviscerates USA Basketball
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •