Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kevin love stomps on scola

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Kevin love stomps on scola

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Race has nothing to do with it.

The NBA, like the NFL with Suh, had to make a tough decision about a star player they helped promote. They choose to try to make a statement while giving said player the "benefit of the doubt"

I am not sure it is fair, but it is life. Personally I would love to see a structure where certain penalties have a minimum and a maximum, but lets not kid ourselves, that structure would have flaws as well.
    I think the discussion was about the way in which race can factor into the coverage a particular event receives from The Media and that the lack of time spent on this particular one was reflective of the non-controversial nature of white-on-(mostly)-white violence. mattie seemed to be arguing that interracial violence (especially non-white-on-white, I think) generally sparks more media attention which wags the dog of public perception. Though you could infer that the lack of media controversy could have had an effect on the suspension ruling, I'm not sure the connection was ever part of the discussion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

YOUR MY BOY BLUE & GOLD Groove1's Avatar

Love's a piece of **** player. No room in the NBA for that BS!
    Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Reading fail. (or maybe my writing fail, probably more likely)

No, I assumed you didn't want to have to deal with a thread getting out of hand, because many times race is a needlessly controversial subject. That was my assumption. I didn't assume I needed to tell you anything.
    You're not really wrong; it's honestly a bit of both (not wanting to deal with the potential mess on the admin side, while personally rolling my eyes at the declaration to begin with).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I think the discussion was about the way in which race can factor into the coverage a particular event receives from The Media and that the lack of time spent on this particular one was reflective of the non-controversial nature of white-on-(mostly)-white violence. mattie seemed to be arguing that interracial violence (especially non-white-on-white, I think) generally sparks more media attention which wags the dog of public perception. Though you could infer that the lack of media controversy could have had an effect on the suspension ruling, I'm not sure the connection was ever part of the discussion.

Not that there is a direct correlation, but FWIW I honestly do believe media attention comes into play when it comes to player discipline.

I am not sure the NBA or NFL ever say "we need to suspend player X because reporter A said so" but I do think they see what the public will react to, and IMO it is just human nature to react on a bigger story.

As for the issue itself, I cannot speak much to ESPN. Though from what I can see it seems the NBA has gotten little coverage compared to past years.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Not that there is a direct correlation, but FWIW I honestly do believe media attention comes into play when it comes to player discipline.

I am not sure the NBA or NFL ever say "we need to suspend player X because reporter A said so" but I do think they see what the public will react to, and IMO it is just human nature to react on a bigger story.

As for the issue itself, I cannot speak much to ESPN. Though from what I can see it seems the NBA has gotten little coverage compared to past years.
    True on all points. The opaque nature of the league office decision making certainly leads fans to broader speculation as well as just an increasing lack of trust. Public outcry, or the media hype that portends to resemble it (OMG, M.I.A. is destroying children!), seems to have affected past judgments. Carmelo's tap on the cheek on some Knicks player back when he was in Denver garnered quite a lengthy suspension just based on the fact that everyone decided he was being a little *****. That's how I remember it anyway.

Nuntius, great fact checking. I hadn't seen the news that Canada received its independence from America.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Nuntius, great fact checking. I hadn't seen the news that Canada received its independence from America.
    Was this supposed to be green? Or was my comment supposed to be green?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    So we've learned Love hurts...
    Cue the Everly Brothers.

Other joke under consideration involved cueing J Geils Band....
    Perfect my friend!!! Of course we maybe too old for others to get it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....