Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 73 of 73

Thread: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,660

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The play just made #10 on ESPN.

    Paul George is a man whose motor is always on. Can't argue with that.
    I would have expected nothing else from ESPN. No more than I have ever expected from them through the years. ESPN has never been big on promoting good, sound, fundamental basketball. Instead, they promote the "exciting" play, i.e. the macho play. Dunks, three-pointers, posterizing blocks.

    As much as I have enjoyed that ESPN has brought results and highlights from around the league through the years, I also hate them as much for changing basketball in ways that I consider negative. By glorifying dunking, three-pointers and blocks, as well as "macho" testerone-injected play, they have convinced young players through the years that that is the way the game should be played.

    So, they brought about more athletic play, which in my opinion has been good. But I believe it has also helped de-emphasize sound fundamental play, which I believe has been bad.

    Personally, had George snagged the ball out of the air and made a quick outlet pass to start the break that resulted in a lay-in, I would have given him a #1 this evening on ESPN's play list.

  2. #52
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    By the way, I hate how we constantly maybe-kinda-sorta double Dwight. It never bothers him, and it gives them way too many easy open 3's that are just not necessary. Dwight isn't going to drop 75 points on us; just guard him straight up and be done with it; make his teammates have to work for their points a little harder than just standing and waiting for the inevitable open looks. Freakin' hate that 'strategy.'

  3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay you all have to get over this schedule loss thing. It was only a back to back at home. That is not a schedule loss. Dallas Texas is only like a 3 hour plane ride.

    Vogel did not utilize our depth very well. This would be the game you bring Lance in and tell him to take it to the rim and draw fouls.

    I would have given both Lance and Dahntay more than 11 mins. If you are on tired legs, then you win by getting to the line. Not shooting more jumpers. Magic had a back to back and a terrible trip just to get here. I guess that equals a schedule win for them.

    Reality....we better hope we don't have to play Orlando in the 1st round, cause we will get spanked. We just don't match up well with them unless we are firing on all cylinders.
    It's pretty obvious they were all tired tonight. Body language, shots with no legs, short misses, AIR BALL misses (multiple times, more than one player)... they were clearly gassed.

    I don't know if that's because of the schedule or not, but they were low on figurative gasoline. Honestly, I'm a little impressed they kept it as close as they did all things considered. This could have been a blowout.

    I'm not scared of them in the playoffs.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way, I hate how we constantly maybe-kinda-sorta double Dwight. It never bothers him, and it gives them way too many easy open 3's that are just not necessary. Dwight isn't going to drop 75 points on us; just guard him straight up and be done with it; make his teammates have to work for their points a little harder than just standing and waiting for the inevitable open looks. Freakin' hate that 'strategy.'
    Yeah I don't understand why they didn't go away from that, Lou to me did a decent job on him.

  7. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,146

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    In my opinion the starters have been playing too much for a condensed schedule, and this game seemed to highlight that. Not only was the bench clearly better tonight (this is a case where the +/- is very telling), yet George, Granger, and Collision all played over 35 minutes and shot poorly. Meanwhile Hansbrough finally found his shot again, but only played 20 minutes. This was a game where all of the bench players should have plaayed about 20 minutes.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  9. #56

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger accidentally elbowed him, Richardson didn't like it and kept jabbering after already getting T'd up. Granger didn't even realize he had hit him.
    I just assumed Richardson needed a breather

  10. #57

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty obvious they were all tired tonight. Body language, shots with no legs, short misses, AIR BALL misses (multiple times, more than one player)... they were clearly gassed.

    I don't know if that's because of the schedule or not, but they were low on figurative gasoline. Honestly, I'm a little impressed they kept it as close as they did all things considered. This could have been a blowout.

    I'm not scared of them in the playoffs.
    This makes the most sense, it is not like Howard is a prolific scorer, if you don't double him, other players won't get open and you will have to make him work for his shot. I thought Hibbert, Lou, and Hans all did a decent job, We can't let those other shooters get in rythem though.

  11. #58

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got to say, that was one of the poorest blocks I have ever seen.
    I think that's being a little harsh. Not many players can make that block. I thought maybe he could have kept in bounds, but you see great players make blocks like that all the time to send a message. If it was something he was doing a lot of it'd be different, but the Terry block the other night he kept in bounds so I don't see this as a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I lost count how many times a guy got open, and he just could not get the ball to the open player... opposite of last night DC was very frustrating to watch tonight.
    DC's passes were either tipped, off target, too weak, or too late all game long. These are the types of game that support the concerns from a lot of people here that we need a good passer at the pg to take us to the next level. I liked how he stepped his D up again in the 2nd half, but offensively he was really bad tonight.

    Obviously everyone but DC and PG were tired, but Danny looked the most fatigued by far. He was sleep walking through defense all game leaving his man wide open. If they would have just hit half their open shots we would have lost this one by 20. I like his help D, but he too often falls asleep on his own man leaving him out of position to close out on the shooter.

    After the game West had last night I wish we'd went to him more. I notice him passing up some shots, but for the most part we struggled to get him the ball. Same with Hibbert. They're both so unselfish, we should play off of them more often.

    PG played a good all around game, but I thought he took a few bad shots and tried to do too much on his own. He was all over the place busting his *** so I can't complain too much. He may not play like Lebron, but he sure can fill up a stat sheet like him. Derick Anderson and Steve Smith said last night he'd be an all star in two years... they could be right.

    Thought Lance played well again. He had 2 steals and helped cause a couple more turnovers in 10 min. With the D he's been playing, I think he deserves more PT. Especially with Hill being out. Glad he's making good use out of the small amount of time he has on the court.

    ... btw what the hell was 50 on? He looked smashed.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 02-05-2012 at 02:52 AM.

  12. #59
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DC zero assists in 38 mins, jesus christ.

    Tyler is pretty much the only one who didnt play like a horse's *** tonight.
    Not to pick particularly on crunk-juice, whose posts I appreciate and always read.

    But I am going to go ahead and say in this thread at this time that I would appreciate guys not using JC as an expletive if possible.

    I'm sure it won't completely end, but if it just lessened a bit, that would be good. I am personally offended by it. I don't think a single poster on here does it maliciously.

    I've talked with the admins about it, and it's kind of funny almost. To censor the word like a few other curse words would mean we couldn't talk about Jesus or Christ in a serious manner.

    So that leaves it up to ourselves to kind of self-monitor the issue, which I think Pacers Digest is pretty good about on a lot of levels.

    Again, nothing against crunk or any of the others. If would just mean a lot to me personally to be sensitive regarding this subject. Thanks.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  14. #60
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think that we had a chance to win until Vogel decided to bring Danny, West and DC, why do that if you know they are playing like crap? even Lou was doing a decent job on Howard.
    I haven't read this entire thread yet, so bear with me if someone has already said this. But I was surprised how freaking long Vogel kept the 2nd unit in the game.

    Several have said Vogel should have kept them in longer. I disagree. He kept them in a very long time. They did their job very well. Then it was up to the starters to finish the job. They failed.

    That's not on Vogel. It's on the starting five.

    Kudos to the second unit.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  16. #61
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,805
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have expected nothing else from ESPN. No more than I have ever expected from them through the years. ESPN has never been big on promoting good, sound, fundamental basketball. Instead, they promote the "exciting" play, i.e. the macho play. Dunks, three-pointers, posterizing blocks.

    As much as I have enjoyed that ESPN has brought results and highlights from around the league through the years, I also hate them as much for changing basketball in ways that I consider negative. By glorifying dunking, three-pointers and blocks, as well as "macho" testerone-injected play, they have convinced young players through the years that that is the way the game should be played.

    So, they brought about more athletic play, which in my opinion has been good. But I believe it has also helped de-emphasize sound fundamental play, which I believe has been bad.

    Personally, had George snagged the ball out of the air and made a quick outlet pass to start the break that resulted in a lay-in, I would have given him a #1 this evening on ESPN's play list.

    Have to agree about ESPN. The other day they highlighted the top 5 (I think) players of the night and Paul George wasn't even mentioned yet he had better stats than half the list.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

  17. #62
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to pick particularly on crunk-juice, whose posts I appreciate and always read.

    But I am going to go ahead and say in this thread at this time that I would appreciate guys not using JC as an expletive if possible.

    I'm sure it won't completely end, but if it just lessened a bit, that would be good. I am personally offended by it. I don't think a single poster on here does it maliciously.

    I've talked with the admins about it, and it's kind of funny almost. To censor the word like a few other curse words would mean we couldn't talk about Jesus or Christ in a serious manner.

    So that leaves it up to ourselves to kind of self-monitor the issue, which I think Pacers Digest is pretty good about on a lot of levels.

    Again, nothing against crunk or any of the others. If would just mean a lot to me personally to be sensitive regarding this subject. Thanks.
    Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  19. #63

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster!
    To everything there is a seasoning.

    May His Noodly Appendage touch you.

    Ramen.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  21. #64

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to pick particularly on crunk-juice, whose posts I appreciate and always read.

    But I am going to go ahead and say in this thread at this time that I would appreciate guys not using JC as an expletive if possible.

    I'm sure it won't completely end, but if it just lessened a bit, that would be good. I am personally offended by it. I don't think a single poster on here does it maliciously.

    I've talked with the admins about it, and it's kind of funny almost. To censor the word like a few other curse words would mean we couldn't talk about Jesus or Christ in a serious manner.

    So that leaves it up to ourselves to kind of self-monitor the issue, which I think Pacers Digest is pretty good about on a lot of levels.

    Again, nothing against crunk or any of the others. If would just mean a lot to me personally to be sensitive regarding this subject. Thanks.
    I'm offended by almost all of vnzla's posts. So there's that, but seriously this is an open forum with people from everywhere who have different sets of what's okay and what isn't. This is going to come off as more harsh than I want it to, but you aren't more important than any other poster here, and you don't have the right to not be offended. Especially on an internet forum it's best to just keep religious thoughts to yourself.

  22. #65
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,926
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Especially on an internet forum it's best to just keep religious thoughts to yourself.
    Yes, I think that about sums it up.

    I don't care one way or the other, really. No one has a right to not be offended, though personally I try to avoid offending if possible. I think it's fine to make a request and just as fine for other folks to say no, they'd rather not do what you want them to do. Something similar happened months ago when I asked that people not toss around the term "rape" so casually in game threads. Some people thought I had a point, others privately messaged me to apologize, others cried "PC!" and made a big stink about how they could do whatever they wanted. Healthy, if sometimes frustrating, discussion.

    But this is a sports board and we are explicitly asked not to venture too far into politics. I am sure some will disagree, but religion clearly intersects with politics, particularly in 21st century America. Therefore, there probably shouldn't be any talking about Jesus Christ in a serious manner or any other manner. I'd be perfectly happy to never see the words Jesus Christ, god, democrat, republican, christian, democracy, communism, and so forth appear on the board again.

    Our common bond is basketball. Let's focus on that. Beyond that (hell, obviously even with that) we are going to irritate and offended each other at times. That's life.

    Now, about that game...we played in such a tired way overall that I was shocked we had a chance to win it in the end. It sucks. I hate losing to the Magic, especially twice at home. But I don't think it's indicative of anything to worry about. We're a good team but we are going to lose at times. I expect to see us bounce back as usual.
    Last edited by gummy; 02-05-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  23. #66
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,307

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to pick particularly on crunk-juice, whose posts I appreciate and always read.

    But I am going to go ahead and say in this thread at this time that I would appreciate guys not using JC as an expletive if possible.

    I'm sure it won't completely end, but if it just lessened a bit, that would be good. I am personally offended by it. I don't think a single poster on here does it maliciously.

    I've talked with the admins about it, and it's kind of funny almost. To censor the word like a few other curse words would mean we couldn't talk about Jesus or Christ in a serious manner.

    So that leaves it up to ourselves to kind of self-monitor the issue, which I think Pacers Digest is pretty good about on a lot of levels.

    Again, nothing against crunk or any of the others. If would just mean a lot to me personally to be sensitive regarding this subject. Thanks.
    I second the motion. I find it offensive also but more importantly it breaks commandment 3, using God's name in vain, and is insulting to God. I consider this a family type forum. I asked and Hicks was kind enough to ban using God and the word damm together. Thank you.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  25. #67
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,373

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster!
    Please do not use my Noodley Lord's name in vain.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  26. #68
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,117
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I second the motion. I find it offensive also but more importantly it breaks commandment 3, using God's name in vain, and is insulting to God. I consider this a family type forum. I asked and Hicks was kind enough to ban using God and the word damm together. Thank you.
    I think if we are not to talk about spiritual matters then we need to leave out the profanity of any God.

    And please Thingfish if you really want to talk about the Torah then I am all ears. But my guess is you don't want to discuss it for any gain. So please leave the religion to people who want to discuss it in a place where it deems respectable to do so.

  27. #69
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    I dont think people do it intentionally, and there is a right to free speech

    I dont like the use of JC like that, but I dont think its my place to tell another

    besides JC is tough, Im sure He can take care of Himself
    Sittin on top of the world!

  28. #70
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,117
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think people do it intentionally, and there is a right to free speech

    I dont like the use of JC like that, but I dont think its my place to tell another

    besides JC is tough, Im sure He can take care of Himself
    I like free speech, but that does not mean free from consequences. If I were to use an expression from a specific minority, I would be penalized. And I should.

    I understand what you mean. And most of the time I care less, I don't expect anything. But I think the way MF brought it up was out of courtesy.

    Every knee and Every tongue

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  30. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    531

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't read this entire thread yet, so bear with me if someone has already said this. But I was surprised how freaking long Vogel kept the 2nd unit in the game.

    Several have said Vogel should have kept them in longer. I disagree. He kept them in a very long time. They did their job very well. Then it was up to the starters to finish the job. They failed.

    That's not on Vogel. It's on the starting five.

    Kudos to the second unit.
    Tyler was only in for 9:30 which was the shortest amount of second half run in the 3 games we've played Orlando and shorter than most of his second half stints overall. AJ, Lance and Jones were in for way less than that, but it seems like they all were in longer because Roy was out for almost 13 and the previous night saw their season low in PT.

  31. #72
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't read this entire thread yet, so bear with me if someone has already said this. But I was surprised how freaking long Vogel kept the 2nd unit in the game.

    Several have said Vogel should have kept them in longer. I disagree. He kept them in a very long time. They did their job very well. Then it was up to the starters to finish the job. They failed.

    That's not on Vogel. It's on the starting five.

    Kudos to the second unit.
    When the starting five has shown all night an incapacity to perform up to their usual standards, and the backups are performing above their usual standards, then it's up to the coach to make an executive decision and go with who's performing at that moment.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  33. #73
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Pacers/Magic postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When the starting five has shown all night an incapacity to perform up to their usual standards, and the backups are performing above their usual standards, then it's up to the coach to make an executive decision and go with who's performing at that moment.
    I could be persuaded.

    At the same time, it has been Vogel's self-control and discipline to keep the overall rotations this year that has kept players keeping their confidence and ability to regroup, knowing they won't get yanked on a whim.

    Tyler was back last night, but Vogel could easily have yanked his chain any of the last few games. Heck, Granger could have been yanked earlier in the season.

    I am going to stick with the opinion that, as much as I would have enjoyed the short term effects of keeping the subs in last night, Vogel is probably correct to stick with the general rotations for the long term benefit.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
  2. Postgame thread
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
  3. 3/26/10 Pacers/Jazz POSTGAME THREAD
    By Kemo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 08:53 PM
  4. Those of us on League Pass do not get the postgame show...
    By XXSASSXX31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •