Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    We lost; I’m not going to spend a lot of time dwelling on it. I won’t even make excuses because at the end of the day it changes nothing, it doesn’t matter if we were tired it doesn’t matter that we were off. At the end of the day it will only show up as a loss in the W-L column so there is no point in even worrying about any of that.

    Would it have been nice to have George Hill for this game? You know it, but injuries are part of the game. They were and have been missing Nelson and tonight Davis. So in a way they were missing more than we were.

    Since I’m not going to fall onto the excuses and I am going to try and keep my disdain to a minimum for a team that shoots what I consider an inordinate amount of three point shots (I have to because tonight we only shot three less 3 point field goals than they did) and I won’t bore you with my diatribe about why Ryan Anderson is Troy Murphy and Tim Thomas illegitimate love child and that if he wasn’t clinging to Howards jersey he wouldn’t even be a spot player for the Washington Wizards.. I’ll just try and look at this from the perspective of “it’s was just one of those nights” and be grateful that this year that happens far less than it has in years past.

    First some good news from Bankers Life Fieldhouse. It was officially a sell out. I mean they were still all but giving away tickets but it worked and the place was packed. So initially the atmosphere was quite good. As to stars in the crowd I think a lot of people had to be disappointed because unless they showed them on TV the only ones they showed over head at the fieldhouse was Floyd Mayweather & of all people Travis Best. We did learn that 50 cent was present but was not announced. So if people were looking for this when they came they left disappointed.

    Now some other good news. We had the spark of life in Tyler Hansbrough tonight, more on him later but at least this was a good sign.

    Also what would a Pacers game be without Danny Granger getting into an argument with an opponent? It wouldn’t be nearly as fun and yes once again after he got mad he hit a couple of shots (which if you saw tonight’s game you know that was a miracle) but could not sustain it for any time.

    On top of all of this, as bad as we played, as horrid as we shot, we still had a chance at the end of the game to tie this up. I am not sure if the team just couldn’t get it done or frankly if they just didn’t want to go to over time because by this time both teams were pretty much playing the game with their hands on their hips.

    So the takeaway from that is this. They didn’t give up, they didn’t get blown out and they still almost came away with this game.

    Oh also I can’t help but to complain about this, Ryan Anders traveled on that last play on the inbounds. Michael Flatly doesn’t move his feet any more when dancing than Anderson did there but there was no call. I realize that the refs. generally are not going to make that call but he sure as heck traveled big time.
    The Good:

    Tyler Hansbrough: Please for the love of God, build on this. He took it right to the Magic all night long. Of course his jumper was falling so that helped but he also went inside a lot and drew fouls. He also was hitting the boards. We are desperately going to need this from him on Tuesday because Utah is just filled with big bodies and when he is such a strong asset from the bench we are generally a hard team to beat. It was great to see this Tyler back again & let us pray that this is the start of him getting back to being him.

    Dahntay Jones: His defense tonight was just outstanding. I can’t think of a time this year where he has played better on the defensive end. You know how you can tell that Dahntay has grown as a player here? When he pinned that shot against the glass and kept the ball driving it the length of the courts each and every person on here and at the fieldhouse just knew he was going to take that to the rim. Well surprise he did drive to the rim but instead hit the cutting Collison for an uncontested layup. Between himself & Tyler they brought the team back into this game in the 3rd and beginning of the 4th quarter. Why they were replaced is beyond me.

    Lou Amundson: He physically beat on Howard from the min he came in the game. He was involved in several key defensive stands and either had a block or a steal or a deflection when the game started to turn on almost every defensive play. Dwight did not push him around at all & in fact I would be interested in seeing how many points he scored when Lou was in.

    So the theme from tonight was the exact opposite of last night, our bench did very well while our starters struggled.

    The Bad:

    Ok first and foremost I want to say that bad is a relative term here. I’m not making excuses per say but I absolutely believe that several of our key players were just fatigued and out of it. So when I list somebody here you may wonder why, I will try and explain on each one.

    Danny Granger: Love the fighting spirit, love that he hit his free throws. But if I ever see him take 9 three point shots in a game again when he isn’t even hitting 4 of them I will scream. Look the guy is gassed; there was no doubt about it. Even those of you that hate him have to admit that Danny Granger is not going to air ball an open three point shot and shoot the ball 2 foot short of the rim. Now my complaint is that he should never have been settling for those shots but I can tell you he didn’t have his legs under him. But even I can’t deny that this game has to go down in the bad category even though somehow he managed to lead our team in scoring. Also I will credit him with hitting the boards.

    Paul George: Just like Danny he did not have his legs. His shot was flat and I will say that this was because of no energy. However he get’s put here for the same reason Danny is here. He settled for the three point shot too early and too often. Over half of his shots from the field were from behind the arc and that is just too often when he wasn’t hitting. However he did a lot of other things on the floor including some fine defense and somehow lead our team in assists. But if there was any one real complaint tonight it would have been this. Stop fouling people in the act of shooting or if you must do that for the love of God don’t let them get the shot up. 3 of his 4 fouls resulted in an and 1 situation including the dreaded four point play from Reddick.

    Roy Hibbert: Ok, here we might have a problem. No, not because he had a bad game but because when that ball went through his fingers at the end of the game Roy sulked and went and set on the bench with his head down and did not join the team huddle and did not talk with anyone on the bench. We’ve seen this happen to Roy before where something goes wrong and he goes into a funk. Roy hasn’t had a lot of luck lately on the offensive end, which I have never considered his fault it’s just the way teams are defending us. But I hope that between his lack of an offensive output and this mistake tonight he doesn’t go into a shell. Overall though Roy was like every other one of our starters in the fact that he was gassed and just had no energy to go after Howard tonight. Hey Dwight is the best center in the entire world right now so having him outplay you is no big thing. I just hope Roy holds his head up high and moves on.

    David West: The best thing he could have done all night long was just punch Ryan Anders square in the jaw. It may not have done anything for the game and we would have lost him for a game or two but I sure would have felt better. We probably did a really poor job of getting him any form of shot tonight. I hate to keep beating this drum but like every player on this list he was just gassed and could not keep up. Again I’m not using that as an excuse; this schedule is going to kick every team in the *** this year so we can’t whine about it. But the reality of it is he played almost 40 min. last night and just had no lift and no speed (not that he ever has much of either normally but even less so tonight).

    Darren Collison: How do you play almost 39 min. on the floor as a point guard and not get a single assist? I mean in all honesty some of it was that nobody was hitting, but Darren wasn’t getting anybody easy shots either. He did a decent job on defense but he was not spectacular either. I guess I still think this was a disappointing performance but like all of the other starters I think he was running on fumes.

    Lance Stephenson: I mean this in all honestly Lance, and yes I do realize the irony of me saying this, you need to develop an outside shot. A three would be fine but something anything besides your driving layup. Diamond Dave stated this after the game and it is real. The problem with Lance on the floor and him not being the point guard with the ball is this. Players on our club can’t drive, draw defenders and then kick it out to Lance because he does nothing with it other than pass it off or attempt a drive. He played almost 11 min and did not even attempt a shot tonight, somewhere Brandon Rush is smiling at this. His defense was decent, which we should all be proud of. But he is doing nothing to make an argument that once Hill comes back he should retain any of this additional playing time.

    A.J. Price: He has not got a problem getting up a shot. However he just has problem making them. I’m listing both he and Lance here because they combined to score the exact same amount that I did tonight in the game. Like Lance he had a decent turn on defense but both of these are somewhat negated by the fact that Orlando doesn’t really have any good ball handlers so defense is a little easier against them.

    The Ugly:



    The Larry Storch of the NBA


    No friends we aren’t going to make excuses but we aren’t going to hang our heads either. We went 4-1 over a pretty tough stretch of games and that is not shabby at all. We just need a couple of days off, regroup and come back to attack the Jazz.

    The next week is no easier as we once again are going to be playing a group of teams that is vying for the playoffs. But on the other hand they have to play us as well and that is no longer an easy thing to do.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,335

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Enjoy the Odd post as always my friend. You did leave out Coach V must of been dealing with fatigue as well. One of those times where the fresh legs of the bench was making a difference and should have got some additional playing time.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  4. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Enjoy the Odd post as always my friend. You did leave out Coach V must of been dealing with fatigue as well. One of those times where the fresh legs of the bench was making a difference and should have got some additional playing time.
    Yea believe me I complained about that all the way home. I understand that it was the normal time to bring back in the starters (he uses the egg timer like Rick did) but after just a few min. it was apperant that they were not going to get it done.

    The quandry for him in that situation is do you obviously bench your starters when they are on national TV. I'm sure everyone of us would answer with a resounding yes, but he has to deal with them the rest of the year. I think he was just hoping they would pull through and shockingly they almost did.

    But yes removing Tyler, Lou & Dahntay probably did cost us the game.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,335

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Yeah I understand Coach is still learning like our players and still has to keep working on that bond. Pretty nice watching this entire program grow and maybe someday the Pacers will have their own Popovich. Frank is going in that direction.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,824

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    I got into the feildhouse shortly after the gates opened last night. When I got to my seat Lance and West were the only players on the floor. Lance was working on threes from the corner and took at least 10 of them.

    I believe this is the first time I have seen lance make a three all season, however he did make more than half of them and made 3 in a a row at one point. Obviously this doesn't mean alot but it was refreshing to see he can shoot.

    While you have a vaalid point when you say the vets don't trust him, I don't believe all of the blame should be put on Lance. Lance plays solid defense and appears to be working hard to be a team guy. I think his lack of offensive output has more to do with pleasing his coach and teamates than ability. Lance did not take one shot , so it seems kinda petty to harp on his scoring ability. Aj and DJ are selfish players which almost completly freezes lance out of the offense(also taking into account Amundsons limited contact with the ball and Tylers pass to shot ratio). When lance is on the floor with Collison we normally have DG,DW, and maybe even hibbert on the floor, so Lance is an afterthought. His job is to play good defense and not do anything stupid, he did a very good job with that tonight.

    Vogal is doing what he feels is best for the team, which is good, however this lack of opportunity also means that you can't really blame Lance for not being more impressive.

    +I was also impressed with Lou's defense on Howard tonight.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-05-2012 at 04:35 AM.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,697

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got into the feildhouse shortly after the gates opened last night. When I got to my seat Lance and West were the only players on the floor. Lance was working on threes from the corner and took at least 10 of them.

    I believe this is the first time I have seen lance make a three all season, however he did make more than half of them and made 3 in a a row at one point. Obviously this doesn't mean alot but it was refreshing to see he can shoot.

    While you have a vaalid point when you say the vets don't trust him, I don't believe all of the blame should be put on Lance. Lance plays solid defense and appears to be working hard to be a team guy. I think his lack of offensive output has more to do with pleasing his coach and teamates than ability. Lance did not take one shot , so it seems kinda petty to harp on his scoring ability. Aj and DJ are selfish players which almost completly freezes lance out of the offense(also taking into account Amundsons limited contact with the ball and Tylers pass to shot ratio). When lance is on the floor with Collison we normally have DG,DW, and maybe even hibbert on the floor, so Lance is an afterthought. His job is to play good defense and not do anything stupid, he did a very good job with that tonight.

    Vogal is doing what he feels is best for the team, which is good, however this lack of opportunity also means that you can't really blame Lance for not being more impressive.
    Where did I say that?

    Lance to my knowledge, and I'm just going off of my head here, has put up 2 outside shots all year. Also how can you possibly say that D.J. is a selfish player after the last month? He has been the epitome of trying to adjust his game to fit the team. A.J. is still being deprogrammed IMO so this won't be pretty.

    As to Lance being impressive? That is the least concern I have, however everybody who plays has to have some form of offensive weapon and Lance needs to have something just like everybody else. I'm not saying that as a criticism, I'm saying that as a way for him to get better. He's not going to continue to get much time if he doesn't even get up a shot in 12 min. on a routine basis.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,824

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Where did I say that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players on our club can’t drive, draw defenders and then kick it out to Lance because he does nothing with it other than pass it off or attempt a drive. He played almost 11 min and did not even attempt a shot tonight, somewhere Brandon Rush is smiling at this. His defense was decent, which we should all be proud of. But he is doing nothing to make an argument that once Hill comes back he should retain any of this additional playing time.

    First, aside from tonight Lance really hasn't gotten additional minutes. Those minutes went to AJ and DJ.

    When you said they can't do something, I counter with they don't. Reguardless the bolded part is what I was expanding on.

    Think about this, can you remember a time when DJ passed Lance the ball? PG and Lance are young, everyone else on this team are at least 3 years older than them. When I say vets I mean most of the team. When we had GH playing with Lance he actually shared the ball handling with him. GH also has the status to keep DJ on a leash(limit his urge to dominate the ball. I won't speculate as to why but I just feel both DJ and AJ freeze Lance out of the offense.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-05-2012 at 05:16 AM.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  14. #8

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    As to Lance being impressive? That is the least concern I have, however everybody who plays has to have some form of offensive weapon and Lance needs to have something just like everybody else. I'm not saying that as a criticism, I'm saying that as a way for him to get better. He's not going to continue to get much time if he doesn't even get up a shot in 12 min. on a routine basis.
    Did Lance pass up shots tonight? He's playing the sg and getting no plays called for him so how do you expect him to score. He needs to develop a shot eventually, but that's never gonna be what he does best. He needs the ball in his hands to be most effective. Playing him off the ball is not a good use of his skill set IMO. I still can't figure out why some people think he should be strictly a sg when he's the best passer on the team.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got into the feildhouse shortly after the gates opened last night. When I got to my seat Lance and West were the only players on the floor. Lance was working on threes from the corner and took at least 10 of them.

    I believe this is the first time I have seen lance make a three all season, however he did make more than half of them and made 3 in a a row at one point. Obviously this doesn't mean alot but it was refreshing to see he can shoot.

    While you have a vaalid point when you say the vets don't trust him, I don't believe all of the blame should be put on Lance. Lance plays solid defense and appears to be working hard to be a team guy. I think his lack of offensive output has more to do with pleasing his coach and teamates than ability. Lance did not take one shot , so it seems kinda petty to harp on his scoring ability. Aj and DJ are selfish players which almost completly freezes lance out of the offense(also taking into account Amundsons limited contact with the ball and Tylers pass to shot ratio). When lance is on the floor with Collison we normally have DG,DW, and maybe even hibbert on the floor, so Lance is an afterthought. His job is to play good defense and not do anything stupid, he did a very good job with that tonight.

    Vogal is doing what he feels is best for the team, which is good, however this lack of opportunity also means that you can't really blame Lance for not being more impressive.

    +I was also impressed with Lou's defense on Howard tonight.
    Exactly. This is nothing like Brandon Rush, as Peck alluded to.

    Does anybody doubt that Lance lacks the desire to make things happen on offense?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but I just feel both DJ and AJ freeze Lance out of the offense.
    And Collison.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not going to continue to get much time if he doesn't even get up a shot in 12 min. on a routine basis.
    I'm thinking the coaches may be telling him the exact opposite.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  21. #12
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,101

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Peck, let me add something to The Good list:

    Paul George and Roy Hibbert got experience being "the man" in crunch time. And they blew it.

    Paul made a bad pass, since it got tipped. Roy didn't have the awareness to adjust to it and catch it. I think it's more on Paul than Roy, but still.

    This is all good. We need them to get the kinks out during the regular season, not during the playoffs. A few more experiences like this and our up and coming youngsters will be more battle tested for crunch time drama in the playoffs, when it really counts.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I won’t bore you with my diatribe about why Ryan Anderson is Troy Murphy and Tim Thomas illegitimate love child and that if he wasn’t clinging to Howards jersey he wouldn’t even be a spot player for the Washington Wizards..

    Pass the bong!

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,193

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But yes removing Tyler, Lou & Dahntay probably did cost us the game.
    That sounds sooooo weird when you take into regard that a lot of people here dislike Lou, Dahntay and Tyler (well, Tyler to a lesser extent). However, it is very, very true. And not just for this game. As you have said numerous times Dahntay is doing great the last month and Lou is magnificent in the last few games.

    By the way, regarding your question about how many points Howard scored on Lou.

    Howard scored 3 points on Lou. One of those came from a free throw and the other came from that dunk after the inbound. Lou forced Howard to 2 turnovers (a charge and a traveling) and also blocked him once (Lou had 3 blocks).

  26. #15
    Member CoolHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    303
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Peck,
    Overall great article - I enjoyed it very much. However, I have one small correction for you, since I believe I've seen you make this mistake before, and I'm sure you want to improve the quality of your writing at every chance. So, here it is: the term is "per se", not "per say". i.e. see dictionary.com

    or, this site's opinion:

    This legal term (meaning “in, of, or by itself”) is a bit pretentious, but you gain little respect if you misspell “per se” as a single word. Worse is the mistaken “per say.”

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Great stat of the day, AJ Price is shooting an amazing .167% from the field and Tyler Hansbrough is shooting a better percentage than Danny for the year at .380% to Danny's .377%

  29. #17
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,390

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Yeah, starters weren't getting it done, and I think most of us knew that the heavy minutes they played the previous day were going to hinder than. Glad the bench showed up tonight. Thought the bench should have played more. I also think Pends should have gotten into the game. If you have fresh legs, you have to use them!

    I figured last night would be a loss, but we forced 24 TOs...that should have resulted in a win. Just couldn't get a damn shot to go in (shot 34%!).

    At least the Pacers have a couple of days off.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  30. #18
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,417

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    I'm not too concerned about last night. We were clearly gassed and it showed. We still fought to the end and had several chances to pull it out.

    I hate losing to the Magic because they remind me of the terrible team we used to be. The big difference is that they have Howard (for now).

    And like you, Peck, I can't stand Ryan "Murphy" Anderson. Was there any doubt he was going to hit those clutch free throws with all the slop he had going in last night?

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,495

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    To be honest, both teams played horribly. It just so happens that the magic were hitting their 3's. I don't know whether to be discouraged because we lost to another good team (out of our losses this yr, most have come against good teams that we are battling with for playoff seeding--the magic twice, heat, celtics, and the 76ers) now the positive fan in me tells me that we just ended a 4 game winning streak, and we can't win them all. Maybe we should be encouraged that we fought so hard to get a win and actually had a chance to pull it off. I'm not sure, just a tough L--at home nonetheless.

    If tonight wasn't the best example of the fact that we really could use another scoring option, I dont know what else LB needs to see. I'm not looking for wholesale changes by anymeans, but we definitely need to try and be active and see who we could pick up.

  33. #20
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,417

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    We have another scoring option, he's just out injured at the moment.

    Probably wouldn't hurt to rent one for the rest of the season, though. Who's available?

  34. #21
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,390

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great stat of the day, AJ Price is shooting an amazing .167% from the field and Tyler Hansbrough is shooting a better percentage than Danny for the year at .380% to Danny's .377%
    AJ pisses me off for as much as he shoots the ball and doesn't hit ****. If only Lance was as aggressive at finding his own shot, but he probably realizes he's not a good shooter. At least one plays within themselves.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  35. #22

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Lou has been great, I no longer doubt he belongs in the NBA. The fact he was holding his own against Dwight Howard was very impressive. Actually, he was getting the better of Dwight on the 4 or 5 times he had to guard him. Plus he was making shots and making good rebounds on the other end. What more can you ask for than that?

    Our guys turned up the D to a fevered level in the middle of the 4th, but the energy went out after missing all those open looks. The airball 3 by Granger especially hurt the effort they were showing. That is disconcerting, but expected.

    AJ is just playing awful. I'm all for sticking Lance out there as the back up PG.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  37. #23

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    There's a chance Hill will make it back before the all star game this month.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  39. #24

    Talking Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    See, this is why I stick up for AJ.

    He didn't play bad last night. He ran the offense (IE, made sure the ball got to Tyler in good spots) and played solid defense.

    There's no need to make excuses for his shooting percentage, he's obviously been bad. But for whatever reason, no matter what he does, he tends to be the whipping boy.

    Criticisms of "Jeez, I wish AJ would make a shot" are fine, but he's not Tyler. He does other things when he's not scoring. And the criticisms aren't even logical at this point.

    He got blamed for not "running an offense" against Dallas. Really? I know he shot (and missed, which is everyone's real problem with him.) but that's not what I saw. We were going against a zone. Price made sure to get the ball inside of the zone pretty much every possession, whether it was getting the ball to Tyler or West, or driving in himself. He made quite a few nice plays. It wasn't going to look pretty. Until we play Hill and Price together, the bench won't look pretty.

    Last night, he ran the bench offense well, in the sense that he made sure to get the ball to Tyler in spots he wanted. Which, I think was probably the right play. He did what everyone wanted, stopped looking for his shot almost completely, and people are still *****ing because he didn't score.

    That's why I stick up for AJ, and why I do for DC, because there are certain players who don't ever get any slack for anything for whatever reason. And if there's any player on this roster that deserves some slack, it's AJ.

    I'm an AJ fan, trust me, it sucks to watch this. But it sucks for different reasons. It sucks to watch a once borderline arrogant basketball player look completely unsure of himself. And it sucks to watch someone who was once a pretty good shooter, not be able to hit a shot. It sucks to watch a kid, who was once one of the best point guards I've seen at balancing between "when to score" and "when to shoot" struggle between knowing either, and end up going from one extreme to the other. All of this stuff sucks to watch, but it's all not completely his fault either. And he's consistently defending pretty well (although not nearly as well as he did against Charlotte.) He's also consistently making pretty good decisions. The offense is obviously not going to flow very well, but he's been getting the ball in the inside, and attempting to play inside out the entire time. Which I'd assume is what he's supposed to be doing.

    He hasn't gotten to play much, and when he did, he got to play with a much different second unit. It's significantly easier to sit back and run an offense and play defense with Hill and Foster in the lineup, rather than Lance and Lou. Now he's got to figure out how to play with this group as well as all the above stuff he's struggling with. As I said, he deserves some slack. Price has been nothing but hardworking, tough minded, resilient, and professional here. From returning from a knee injury that kept Blake Griffin out for a year, in four months; to still even when baited by interviewers, not saying a negative thing about Jim O'brien..and keeping his mouth shut and cheering for this team every year he's been here, even when he deserved to get the backup point minutes-every year he's been here. You would have thought he'd earn a little bit of slack from the fanbase, not turn into the team whipping boy.

    And on a side not, I completely disagree with Lance being on the "Bad" side too. Him (and AJ) were among the reasons the team made a run in the second quarter, and got the team back into the game. They're both struggling to score. Okay, sometimes people shoot badly, or simply can't shoot. But they contributed, and got the team back in the game regardless.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  41. #25

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Smoke & Mirrors (or is it Magic)

    Despite the bad and the ugly of this game, the March 11 game at Orlando is shaping up to be HUGE. If we win that game, it could well be the difference between a 4 and a 5 seed, b/c I think we will end up with a better conference record than the Magic.

Similar Threads

  1. Super Bowl forces Magic to alter travel plans
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM
  2. Magic CEO resigns days after allegedly drunk dialing Dwight Howard
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
  3. Gary Vitti recounts events leading up to Magic's HIV announcement
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
  4. Report: Magic Johnson to join ESPN starting X-mas day
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
  5. Some thoughts on the Magic game
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 12:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •