Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul George mini Lebron?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Paul George mini Lebron?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't compare me to LeBron in any way other than being a willing passer and tall enough to create miss-matches in offense and defense.
    I think you made a pronoun typo.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    People tend to forget that Tracy McGrady ran many offenses, he was the POINT forward for the Rockets and the Magic.

He had superior handles compared to George though, and his passes are better as well.

It is very difficult to just "develop your handles."

If Paul George can morph into the next T-Mac these next 2-3 years, we are a championship team, McGrady was a top 10 talent, a special player.
    This is a pretty important point, and I would like to hear what others think. Have any players really improved in this area as NBA players?

My premise in this thread is basically dependent on this question.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

I'd compare myself to LeBron, except I don't have the receding hairline... yet...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I am pretty sure you are new to the board. You should look up T-Bird's write up about George before the draft. He pretty much nailed that pick defensively. It's a really good read if you have time to find it.
    I am new to the forum, indeed. I did read T-Bird's write up about George (and his write up about Hibbert as well). It's an amazing read, indeed. But PG may turn out to be even better

Sports Logo

Oh jeez. You are right. Thanks. I've been sloppy all day today

This is a pretty important point, and I would like to hear what others think. Have any players really improved in this area as NBA players?

My premise in this thread is basically dependent on this question.
    I don't think George necessarily has bad handles. There are times where he is great with them. I think he just needs to be more conscience about them. Being so tall, it makes things more difficult for him. He gets sloppy at times and being tall makes it worse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Rudy has been in the league for one season less than Danny. He should most certainly be in his prime right now. He is averaging 18, 6.5 and 2 on 45% shooting this season. Which aren't even career numbers. They are actually some of his worst numbers, other than rebounding.

You are in your prime in your 6th season. Rudy's numbers are very similar to Danny's, throughout their careers. I don't know how you can say Rudy is at a higher level than Danny. They have had very similar careers so far.

Paul's ceiling is higher than Danny's. Paul's ceiling is higher than Rudy. Paul isn't going to be a fringe all star, he will be a legit all star.
    I guess Andrew Bynum and Lebron have already hit their primes because they were drafted the same year or before Danny was drafted .............

...except Bynum and lebron were drafted at 18 and granger was drafted at 22...

That said, it's fair to say LeBron is in his prime right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...except Bynum and lebron were drafted at 18 and granger was drafted at 22...

That said, it's fair to say LeBron is in his prime right now.
    Well that's my point, players usually hit their primes at around 27/30 years of age, reason why I'm saying that Rudy hasn't hit his prime yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I guess Andrew Bynum and Lebron have already hit their primes because they were drafted the same year or before Danny was drafted .............
    Wait, you don't think LeBron is in his prime?

And Bynum is probably just entering his prime. Had he not been injured so much, he would definitely be there. Big men take longer to hit their stride, and with injuries, it delays it more. But I think averaging 17 and 12 is showing that he is entering his prime.

If you are taking more than 6 years to enter your prime, you better have come in straight out of high school and had something to limit your development.

Look at JO. Only Bynum entered the league at a younger age, but in year 6, JO clearly entered his prime. Straight out of high school and was limited in Portland. But still year 6 was the time.

You aren't going to have much of a prime if you are taking longer. Considering Rudy's game and production has pretty much stayed the same since year 2, he is definitely in his prime.

Well that's my point, players usually hit their primes at around 27/30 years of age, reason why I'm saying that Rudy hasn't hit his prime yet.
    What? Are you kidding me? Prime starts at 27? No way dude. Especially for guys that came from high school or one and done. If you are 18, that means you already put 9 years in the league before your prime. I'm sorry, but thats just not right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Wait, you don't think LeBron is in his prime?

And Bynum is probably just entering his prime. Had he not been injured so much, he would definitely be there. Big men take longer to hit their stride, and with injuries, it delays it more. But I think averaging 17 and 12 is showing that he is entering his prime.

If you are taking more than 6 years to enter your prime, you better have come in straight out of high school and had something to limit your development.

Look at JO. Only Bynum entered the league at a younger age, but in year 6, JO clearly entered his prime. Straight out of high school and was limited in Portland. But still year 6 was the time.

You aren't going to have much of a prime if you are taking longer. Considering Rudy's game and production has pretty much stayed the same since year 2, he is definitely in his prime.
    This is Lebron's 9 year in the NBA and he is 27 of course I think he is entering his prime, 27/30 is usually a players best years you want to admit it or not.

He's no where near the passer that Lebron is. But he could fill up the stat sheet the way he can.

25+ PPG
    7-8 Rebounds
    2-5 blocks any given night
    4-7 assist(even though Lebron can easily have 10+ any game)

George is a weapon on defense! and at the end that is what wins championships. He can shut down the opposing teams best player. Something Lebron does. We set the Blueprint on how to stop Rose with a big fast defender!
    Miami just executed it so much better.

Whats impressive about George is that he's evolving before our eyes. Would you have thought last year that he would have tied Millers 3 point record? No because his 3 point shooting last year was horrendous. But he put in work to get better. Kid is evolving his game! Can't wait to see what he's gonna look like in year 3-4.

By me ^^

This is Lebron's 9 year in the NBA and he is 27 of course I think he is entering his prime, 27/30 is usually a players best years you want to admit it or not.
    So you are saying players are only in their prime for 3 years? 27/30 may be the rule when guys went to college for 4 years, but with guys that came just out of high school or are one and done, their prime is gonna start way sooner.

So because Andrew Bynum is a year younger than Hibbert, he is going to be in his prime a year later, even though he entered the league 3 years earlier? Sorry, not buying it. 27 makes sense for Roy, he is going to be 27 in his 6th season in the NBA. There is that 6th season coming up again.

Your telling me LeBron wasn't in his prime when he won his two MVPs? Your telling me Kobe wasn't in his prime scoring 30ppg? Hell Shaq's prime was a decade long.

I'm sorry, it just doesn't take guys 8-9 years in the league to enter their prime.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    and you call this value?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    You do realize that this post is really no different than his?

(I know this one is as well...but I realize it)

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twoa View Post
    Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this discussion. Do everyone a favor and start contributing or stop posting!
    This isn't even worth discussing. Paul George as of now can't do a quarter of the things LeBron can and his game is completely un-comparable to Lebron. We could maybe compare him to a prime Peja Stojakovic but even that is somewhat unreasonable expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    We could maybe compare him to a prime Peja Stojakovic but even that is somewhat unreasonable expectations.
    As is proper grammar.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I honestly don't see this comparison at all. LeBron is a freak. I am puzzled by anyone who compares Paul's court vision to LeBron's. I guess I can see their stat lines being similar, but their games most certainly are not.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'll toss in my two cents on comparisions for Paul George:

James Worthy.

PG reminds me of Scottie Pippen with a little less ball handling ability and a better jumper (from 3). Yes I know people want to say that about Granger. But Grangers game reminds me nothing of Pippen.
    Last edited by Evan_The_Dude; 02-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.

I'll call him 25% Kobe.

I think you could compare PG to Pippen, but I don't know another player that is that tall and has the same skill and athleticism. Really needs to work on the ball handling though.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I disagree saying pg is a questionable shooter isn't true he was a great shooter in college. He will be a great shooter in the nba. But comparing pg to lbj is silly they play nothing alike.
    He is a streaky shooter, he does not have any go to moves, or shots. I think he has potential to be a great shooter, but he has a lot to work on to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    The "killer instinct" really feels more and more like a media creation every year to me. Dirk didn't develop a killer instinct between 06 and 11, he just got better teammates. Duncan is never credited as having a killer instinct and he has four titles. And Kobe winning 5 titles has less to do with a killer instinct and more with having two of the most dominant big men in the last twenty years playing along with him.

Talent and determination (which every superstar has, or else they wouldn't be a superstar) along with a good supporting cast, win championships, not some mystical superpower.
    I do not think so, being the type to want to dominate someone no matter what the score is and finishing off games by being willing taking the lead of your team.

Killer instinct is not a mystical superpower, but it has to do with ability and state of mind, a lot to do with a person playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    LeBron as a rookie was actually a lot like PG is now, just a couple feet in from the arc. He was a completely different player.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    He is a streaky shooter, he does not have any go to moves, or shots. I think he has potential to be a great shooter, but he has a lot to work on to get there.
    James Jones or Steve Kerr doesn't/didn't have a go to move they are great shooters. Shooting doesn't have to do with go to moves off the dribble it has to do with his ABILITY to shoot.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    James Jones or Steve Kerr doesn't/didn't have a go to move they are great shooters. Shooting doesn't have to do with go to moves off the dribble it has to do with his ABILITY to shoot.
    James Jones is a spot up shooter, can not remember as much from Kerr just remembered he was a scorer.

The thing about having go to moves or go to shots is more about when your can't get space or your shot is not falling, as he experiences often. This way it helps you get back into your rhythm and all scorers have this (the go to shot).

PG plays the game a lot more different than Jones, and gets a decent amount of his shots off the dribble there for he needs to be able to have go to moves.
    Why so SERIOUS