Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul George mini Lebron?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George mini Lebron?

I'm hoping for a more athletic Joe Johnson (prime) or defensively gifted T-Mac (prime). I don't see anyone being like LeBron, he's like the Shaq of the perimeter, a beast.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I and others said before the draft, PG has the potential to be T-Mac reincarnated. And as others may or may not recall, T-Mac, in his prime, was arguably on Kobe's level.

Right now, with consistency, George and Granger give the Pacers their best scoring duo since Reggie and Jalen.

As much as I love Eric Gordon (and you all know I do), if PG plays like last night on a consistent basis, there's no room for EJ on this team. Hibbert and George are looking to be our max contract guys.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LeBron as a rookie was actually a lot like PG is now, just a couple feet in from the arc. He was a completely different player.
    Paul right now? Last year I agree, but he's a terrific shooter from 3 right now.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see Paul George ever having the point-forward skills that T-Mac had. There was a nine-year-period between 2000 and 2009 where T-Mac averaged roughly 5.5 assists per-game. That seems to be a little bit beyond Paul's reach.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's Rudy Gay, someone else PG's been compared to, who's averaged just 1.9 apg in his career. I would imagine Paul will end up somewhere in between the two of them, at around 3-4 apg.

I don't think he'll ever be the megastar that T-Mac was simply because those types of players are so rare, but the more I watch him, the more I think Rudy Gay may be his median. Paul has Rudy's size and athleticism, yet he looks more skilled to me. Rudy's never shot the ball the way Paul is this year, not even close, and I think Paul's a clearly superior passer, too.

If I was to break down Paul's upside into five levels, it'd look like this:

Level 1 (Worst Case Scenario): Tayshaun Prince
    Level 2:
    Level 3 (Median Scenario): Rudy Gay
    Level 4: This is my sky-high, but reasonable, expectations for Paul.
    Level 5 (Best Case Scenario): Tracy McGrady

I'd put Danny in Level 3, as well as guys like Luol Deng and pre-injuries Caron Butler.

Level 4 would be guys like Melo, (motivated) Vince Carter, and Paul Pierce.

Level 5 is the best-of-the-best; prime T-Mac, LeBron, Durant, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Paul right now? Last year I agree, but he's a terrific shooter from 3 right now.
    Yes, he's definitely a better shooter. What I mean is that LeBron's offense was a lot more perimeter based when he was a rookie. He came off screens a bit like Paul, and his shots were a lot like Paul's except they were just inside the arc.

Here, found this clip of LeBron's first game on YouTube. Take a look:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

People tend to forget that Tracy McGrady ran many offenses, he was the POINT forward for the Rockets and the Magic.

He had superior handles compared to George though, and his passes are better as well.

It is very difficult to just "develop your handles."

If Paul George can morph into the next T-Mac these next 2-3 years, we are a championship team, McGrady was a top 10 talent, a special player.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    LeBron is so unique that there is nobody you can compare his game. I mean he is the only player I know that can play 4 different positions, and can probably play some C too if he wants to because of his length, speed, size, strength, passing ability, and scoring prowess.
    LeBron cannot play C. I remember him trying to do this in 2006 and he got crushed by Schortsianitis and Dikoudis.

That said, he has improved his post game from then and also is stronger so he could have a chance to do but still I don't want to see him there.

Anyway, this thread is about George. I was thinking about it the other day as well. I wouldn't compare him to LeBron in any way other than being a willing passer and tall enough to create miss-matches in offense and defense. He is like a taller Kobe to me. The baseline jumper that he used against the Wolves was identical to Kobe.

George has such an amazing future ahead of him. He seems to evolve into such an amazing player. None of us could see it coming. He just learns so fast.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 02-04-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Indeed, a typo :D

Banned

More like a mini Rudy Gay, Paul is similar and could probably be better, he just needs to get bigger I think.

Lou Amudson mini Shaq??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

McGrady certainly wasn't chopped liver as either a point man or a defender. It's just he was so insanely gifted as a scorer that that's usually where his energies went.

McGrady would be a good model for george. He'll never be that gifted as a scorer--in his prime McGrady was a freak--but the athletic advantages TMac enjoyed are the same that Paul enjoys, they have similar temperaments, and he could see how someone else put those traits to fantastic use.

Hopefully he doesn't have McGrady's health.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Dutch Pacers Fan

Coming back to the killer-instinct thing, would it be a correct definition to say that this is determined by how much you have a feeling you don't want that specific guy on the other team taking the decisive shot?

I mean, we'd like to see the player formerly known as Ron Artest take the final shot rather than we'd want Kobe to have it? Right? People can say the game-deciding shot is just like any other shot and say give it to the highest % shooter. But it doesn't work like that. Both teams are extremely focussed and it is going to be a tough shot 95% of the time. So you want the players with ice in their veins, the killer mentality, to take it.

Given that the NBA is a league of stars, we want these stars to be the heroes who are saving the day. Subconsciously most of us fans need that, we identify with a certain team or player. Having a killer instinct is hard to describe, but if it does not exist, than heart and hustle shouldn't either, since none of them are measurable.

Whether or not Paul has it, I hope so. Let's make sure he sticks around long enough to find out!
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Is it crazy to compare him to a more athletic Ray Allen?

Ray was more of an all-around scorer in his prime. Paul is noticeably more athletic than Ray ever was, but they both have a smooth stroke, don't necessarily handle the ball the best, can score in different ways, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twoa View Post
    Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this discussion. Do everyone a favor and start contributing or stop posting!
    and you call this value?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man some of you underrate this kid. Rudy Gay? Nope, sorry. His game doesnt flow like Pauls. There is a certain smoothness to PGs game. He now is getting the confidence on offense the really push it. You know hes hadvso many plays the last three games, the threes, the dunks, but my favorite was his crossover step back jumper against the Wolves. It was such a fluid motion and there was nothing the defender could do about. Watch when his handles come through. He doesnt bang through traffic like Danny. He glides through. He doesnt seem awkward with his height either.

Is he a mini lebron? No, game is too different. Lebron is like MJ, no not Jordan, Magic. PG is more along the lines of T-Mac (who i think is the best comparison still) and Kobe.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Man some of you underrate this kid. Rudy Gay? Nope, sorry. His game doesnt flow like Pauls. There is a certain smoothness to PGs game. He now is getting the confidence on offense the really push it. You know hes hadvso many plays the last three games, the threes, the dunks, but my favorite was his crossover step back jumper against the Wolves. It was such a fluid motion and there was nothing the defender could do about. Watch when his handles come through. He doesnt bang through traffic like Danny. He glides through. He doesnt seem awkward with his height either.

Is he a mini lebron? No, game is too different. Lebron is like MJ, no not Jordan, Magic. PG is more along the lines of T-Mac (who i think is the best comparison still) and Kobe.
    Underrate him because we are comparing him to possibly and All Star this year?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Underrate him because we are comparing him to possibly and All Star this year?
    Rudy Gay is basically on the same level as Danny. I do not see Paul on that level. He is going to be better than that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see Pauls ceiling being Kevin Durant with an unreal ability to hop.
    I Bleed Blue

Banned

Rudy Gay is basically on the same level as Danny. I do not see Paul on that level. He is going to be better than that.
    Rudy haven't even hit his prime yet and he is only 25 so I think is fair to assume that he would be a level higher than Danny if he already isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post

George has such an amazing future ahead of him. He seems to evolve into such an amazing player. None of us could see it coming. He just learns so fast.
    I could. He has incredible body control and a finesse/glide to him that I don't see in very many players in the NBA. I really don't know how to describe it, but I knew watching him a few times in college he was going to be an incredible player.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I could. He has incredible body control and a finesse/glide to him that I don't see in very many players in the NBA. I really don't know how to describe it, but I knew watching him a few times in college he was going to be an incredible player.
    Glad to know that there was one

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Glad to know that there was one
    I am pretty sure you are new to the board. You should look up T-Bird's write up about George before the draft. He pretty much nailed that pick defensively. It's a really good read if you have time to find it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rudy haven't even hit his prime yet and he is only 25 so I think is fair to assume that he would be a level higher than Danny if he already isn't.
    Rudy has been in the league for one season less than Danny. He should most certainly be in his prime right now. He is averaging 18, 6.5 and 2 on 45% shooting this season. Which aren't even career numbers. They are actually some of his worst numbers, other than rebounding.

You are in your prime in your 6th season. Rudy's numbers are very similar to Danny's, throughout their careers. I don't know how you can say Rudy is at a higher level than Danny. They have had very similar careers so far.

Paul's ceiling is higher than Danny's. Paul's ceiling is higher than Rudy. Paul isn't going to be a fringe all star, he will be a legit all star.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This. This is what I was saying that he has a certain smoothness to his game. You see this in Kobe's and saw it in T-Mac's. Wade has it too. It's a rare quality. I haven't seen another Pacer that really has it to the extent that PG does.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

This. This is what I was saying that he has a certain smoothness to his game. You see this in Kobe's and saw it in T-Mac's. Wade has it too. It's a rare quality. I haven't seen another Pacer that really has it to the extent that PG does.
    While back in a different thread I had mentioned Clyde the Glide Drexler for comparison to Paul and I got bashed cause of a couple inches difference in height. The reason I picked Clyde was the smooth shooting stoke and the smoothness of him running the floor. Yes, It's a very rare quality.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    and you call this value?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    With contrarians like you around . . . yeah.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown