Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul George mini Lebron?

Hybrid View

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Paul George mini Lebron?

I mentioned this in the post game thread and think it may be worthy of its own discussion:

Paul George has great court vision. In my opinion, he is only a ball-handling upgrade away from becoming Lebron-esque.

Now, I don't mean he could be as good as Lebron, and he will probably never be as strong as Lebron.

But he has the shot, the skills, the height, the length, the speed, the quickness, and—the jury is still out here—possibly the killer instinct.

What he also has, which very few players have and which I believe is the catalyst making Lebron one of the greatest ever, is great court vision.

My question: PG is only 21. If he were to develop great ball handling skills in the next year or two, could be run our offense?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Paul George mini Lebron?

You're delusional.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winner For This Useful Post:

Paul can be a great player. You can't compare him to probably the most gifted athlete in all sports.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:

He's hard to compare to LeBron, easier to compare to Kobe. I do think he has the same court awareness, shooting ability and athleticism as LeBron. He's not as physical, but he's longer than LeBron.

No, I don't think you want him running the offense. Again, I see a two way player along the lines of a Kobe Bryant. But he still has a ways on offense to get to that level.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're delusional.
    Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this discussion. Do everyone a favor and start contributing or stop posting!

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twoa View Post
    Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this discussion. Do everyone a favor and start contributing or stop posting!
    This isn't even worth discussing. Paul George as of now can't do a quarter of the things LeBron can and his game is completely un-comparable to Lebron. We could maybe compare him to a prime Peja Stojakovic but even that is somewhat unreasonable expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    We could maybe compare him to a prime Peja Stojakovic but even that is somewhat unreasonable expectations.
    As is proper grammar.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I see what you're saying, but I don't think we'll ever see anyone like Lebron again in our lifetime. Paul is better suited playing with a facilitating PG in my opinion.

I was just saying to my brother today that George reminds me of a better defensive, not as naturally offensively talented TMac. Meaning he has a chance to be an absolutely amazing player.

LeBron is such a freakish once in a lifetime player it's hard to really compare anyone to him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

LeBron is so unique that there is nobody you can compare his game. I mean he is the only player I know that can play 4 different positions, and can probably play some C too if he wants to because of his length, speed, size, strength, passing ability, and scoring prowess. A low-post game will take his game into an entirely new level.

On a closer comparison, PG is more like Durant. Both are taller and longer than their position counterparts. They create mismatches with those size and length difference. The difference is Durant uses his advantage to dominate his opponent by scoring in so many different ways, while PG uses his advantage to destroy his man on the defensive end of the floor.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    LeBron is so unique that there is nobody you can compare his game. I mean he is the only player I know that can play 4 different positions, and can probably play some C too if he wants to because of his length, speed, size, strength, passing ability, and scoring prowess.
    LeBron cannot play C. I remember him trying to do this in 2006 and he got crushed by Schortsianitis and Dikoudis.

That said, he has improved his post game from then and also is stronger so he could have a chance to do but still I don't want to see him there.

Anyway, this thread is about George. I was thinking about it the other day as well. I wouldn't compare him to LeBron in any way other than being a willing passer and tall enough to create miss-matches in offense and defense. He is like a taller Kobe to me. The baseline jumper that he used against the Wolves was identical to Kobe.

George has such an amazing future ahead of him. He seems to evolve into such an amazing player. None of us could see it coming. He just learns so fast.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 02-04-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Indeed, a typo :D

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post

George has such an amazing future ahead of him. He seems to evolve into such an amazing player. None of us could see it coming. He just learns so fast.
    I could. He has incredible body control and a finesse/glide to him that I don't see in very many players in the NBA. I really don't know how to describe it, but I knew watching him a few times in college he was going to be an incredible player.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I could. He has incredible body control and a finesse/glide to him that I don't see in very many players in the NBA. I really don't know how to describe it, but I knew watching him a few times in college he was going to be an incredible player.
    Glad to know that there was one

Glad to know that there was one
    I am pretty sure you are new to the board. You should look up T-Bird's write up about George before the draft. He pretty much nailed that pick defensively. It's a really good read if you have time to find it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This. This is what I was saying that he has a certain smoothness to his game. You see this in Kobe's and saw it in T-Mac's. Wade has it too. It's a rare quality. I haven't seen another Pacer that really has it to the extent that PG does.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This. This is what I was saying that he has a certain smoothness to his game. You see this in Kobe's and saw it in T-Mac's. Wade has it too. It's a rare quality. I haven't seen another Pacer that really has it to the extent that PG does.
    While back in a different thread I had mentioned Clyde the Glide Drexler for comparison to Paul and I got bashed cause of a couple inches difference in height. The reason I picked Clyde was the smooth shooting stoke and the smoothness of him running the floor. Yes, It's a very rare quality.

I wouldn't compare me to LeBron in any way other than being a willing passer and tall enough to create miss-matches in offense and defense.
    I think you made a pronoun typo.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

I'd compare myself to LeBron, except I don't have the receding hairline... yet...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Oh jeez. You are right. Thanks. I've been sloppy all day today

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twoa View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I don't think we'll ever see anyone like Lebron again in our lifetime. Paul is better suited playing with a facilitating PG in my opinion.
    Noted.

That's why I say "mini."

Maybe the Durant or TMac comparison is better. But my post comes from my observation that pg has elite court vision like Lebron. Durant and TMac don't have that.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I think TMac is the best comparison when you look at absolute ceiling. King Tut is right, his ceiling is probably something like a less offensively gifted but MUCH better defensive version of TMac.

Lebron is just too hard to compare to anyone else. If I had to compare Lebron to anyone, I would say he is kind of like Karl Malone but with an elite outside game.

Good thing we're asking about Lebron so Paul's killer instinct isn't needed

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

His game isn't a whole lot like LeBron, but he can run down a fast-break dunk/layup and block it like LeBron.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Nerd.
    Mood

Let's see PG put together a full season of greatness, of not just goodness, then we will talk. I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

Mood

I think they are both questionable shooters, and I think PG lacks a killer instinct, and sometimes I question his quickness with the ball. His ball handling really has to improve for him to be closely compared to anyone, Kobe or Lebron or whoever is great.

I do think that he is showing things this year that we did not see last year so I am happy to see these improvements, but I am really hoping that continues to get better.
    Why so SERIOUS