Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Mavericks postgame thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Mavericks postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank took away his aggressiveness and therefor his confidence when he attempted to make him a passer.
    False. Vogel made him a team player. Its up to Tyler to learn how to thrive in a full team game, just like Danny has.

And I'm a huge Tyler fan that loves his style of play.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Banned

PG and West saved the day big time going 20-of-30 from the field with 7 from downtown along with a 3-for-3 day at the stripe. The rest of the team shot 17-of-57 or 29.8% so if those two both had good games rather than great games this could been a loss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    False. Vogel made him a team player. Its up to Tyler to learn how to thrive in a full team game, just like Danny has.

And I'm a huge Tyler fan that loves his style of play.
    When your job is to be the bench scorer you only need to pass when you don't have a shot or someone is wide open, but he's passing up shots to dish out a bad pass elsewhere. If he was the starting PF making him pass more would be a good idea but taking away his aggression was stupid when he's in for 18-22 a game. Also Danny is taking more shots than he did all last year since the fix the offense practice despite having more weapons around him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    When your job is to be the bench scorer you only need to pass when you don't have a shot or someone is wide open, but he's passing up shots to dish out a bad pass elsewhere. If he was the starting PF making him pass more would be a good idea but taking away his aggression was stupid when he's in for 18-22 a game. Also Danny is taking more shots than he did all last year since the fix the offense practice despite having more weapons around him.
    Perhaps if he was coming anywhere close on his jumpers he'd be more apt to shoot them. Meanwhile being a bad passer is not an excuse to shoot more. This same logic applies to AJ Price.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

random question.. who's the play by play guy on 93.1 with Croshere? i had to listen to the 2nd quarter on the radio coming back from downtown. he has to be the most boring, lifeless announcer ever. i assumed he was the Mavs announcer until i heard "Pacers Radio"

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This. And you're not alone, my friend. Me, Johanvil, that guy from Portugal, that guy from Germany, a guy from the Netherlands. There are a lot of international Pacer fans and this team really deserves it
    Proudly spending the nights supporting the Pacers since 1999. Only Mavs and Heat fans here in Germany...they all can kiss my a**.

I love this team, always have and always will.

Best regards from Germany.
    Thank you Jeff.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

best part of that block was Terry's face afterward...

Jet's rockin' his "WTF just happened to me!?" look

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    By the way, another great, underrated game for Darren Collison. I feel extremely comfortable with him at the point.
    I have to agree here......every shot that I was watching him take....I said to myself "it's in" and he ends up sinking his mid-range jumpshot. He's been doing very well lately with his jumpshot...his shot selection has been really good as of late....he's playing within his game on the offensive end and he's hitting his shots.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    random question.. who's the play by play guy on 93.1 with Croshere? i had to listen to the 2nd quarter on the radio coming back from downtown. he has to be the most boring, lifeless announcer ever. i assumed he was the Mavs announcer until i heard "Pacers Radio"
    Oh wow, are you serious? That's Mark Boyle, our long time radio play-by-play guy. Boring and lifeless he is not...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    Oh wow, are you serious? That's Mark Boyle, our long time radio play-by-play guy. Boring and lifeless he is not...

i had never listened to a pacers game on the radio before tonight, so thats all i have to go by.

"and George makes a three."
    "ball is stolen, Granger drives in and scores"

stuff like that, all completely monotone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Perhaps if he was coming anywhere close on his jumpers he'd be more apt to shoot them. Meanwhile being a bad passer is not an excuse to shoot more. This same logic applies to AJ Price.
    Being a scorer is the reason to shoot, if we wanted a passer we should have took Lawson or kept Josh. Also when on the outside passing you can't draw fouls getting other players on the bench and feasting on the bonus or getting in faster. We don't have Hill and Tyler got 1 shot in 19:22 or the same as Lou who played 2:25. We got by with West and PG going off like they did tonight but that's not going to be the case every night and with no Hill for a while we need to get Tyler scoring off the bench.

I may be in the minority here but that extra .37 APG and bad passes aren't worth the loss in scoring and fouls drawn as well as the getting him in the flow of the game on both ends along with those shots not taken going to people like Lou, AJ or a Dahntay Jones circus shot in the lane.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Yes we did.

abmowrey Alan Mowrey
    http://lockerz.com/s/180457873 No more DIY #Area55 T's. Going to a Pacers road game? Send a SA, stamped envelope & I'll send an Area55 Tshirt
    Dude....if I knew about this a month ago...I would have asked for one when I went to the Pacers / Warriors game

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

By the way, D.Jones has been really good coming off the bench these past couple of weeks.
    Thank you Jeff.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    best part of that block was Terry's face afterward...

Jet's rockin' his "WTF just happened to me!?" look
    I saw that look on the Jet's face....he was like...WTF happened there?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You know how you know this is a great question? I have tried to reply to it three different times with three different answers and couldn't settle on any of them. I honestly see a lot of parallels between the two. Not just their game, but their roles on the team. I'll give the edge to Smits right now, if only because he proved he could be the starting center on a highly successful playoff team. Roy still needs to prove it over time. But Roy at his best vs Smits at his best is a total tossup for me.
    Prior to his plantars fasciatis, Smits was as good a low post scorer as any in the league. Once his foot problems set in, he could still score in the post, but began to grow his game to include mid-range and even perimeter scoring. He was good at both. Smits was never a good defender and had the habit of attempting to block the shots of even smaller players at the hand rather than using his 7-4 size to block shots a foot or two feet from the hand. Even though he had poor defensive habits, he took up a hell of a lot of room near the basket.

I see some similarities in Hibbert, but he is nowhere near the low post scorer that Smits was... yet. He is probably developing a mid-range game earlier in his career than Smits did. Roy is a better rebounder and is very much ahead of what Smits was defensively. However, Smits was not needed for rebounding nearly as much because we had Dale, AD, McKey, etc.

Smits was the #2 scorer on his teams, behind Reggie. He was always needed for scoring. I doubt Hibbert will feel the pressure to be the #2 scorer. We have Danny and George is emerging. The scoring on our present team will be much more balanced than any of the Reggie-Rik teams.

Looking back, I'm now very pleased with what Smits accomplished. I am certain I will say the same once Hibbert's career is over. The two function slightly different in their respective teams/eras, but both fit very well and will have established their places in Pacer history.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't know if Lance got any burn this game...and didn't really notice Amundson out there....but is it me...or did we go with a 8 man rotation?

I think that we can get away with it against a Team like the Mavs with a Center that can't score, Nowitzki, Terry, Roddy and Delonte West where we could switch off Paul George on the opposing Team's PG and letting DC guard the smaller SG ( Roddy / Terry / Delonte ) ...but I don't think that we can go without a bigger Frontcourt on a regular basis.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-04-2012 at 03:27 AM.

found this interview online
    Nothing too interesting but thought i'd share anyways

...and i have no idea what D210 is (D for dallas i guess). Also, the interviewer seems super nervous & is pretty awkward lol

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    i had never listened to a pacers game on the radio before tonight, so thats all i have to go by.

"and George makes a three."
    "ball is stolen, Granger drives in and scores"

stuff like that, all completely monotone.
    Here's the thing about Boyle, he's a big Pacers fan but he really believes in trying to be impartial in calling the games. I had a little back and forth with him on Facebook a year or 2 ago about this, I was comparing his work to Bob Lamey, who is the play by play guy for the Colts, who easily loses his **** in any game, any time. He really just believes it's his job to call the game so that the listener can best follow it. The broadcast seems really incomplete on the road this year without Slick Leonard, who has been his sidekick for a long time until he had health problems last season and has only been doing home games this year. His "Boom Baby!" after 3 pointers was really a staple of the radio broadcast. But if you put Mark in a big game, big play situation he can make some really, really great calls, like the ones I posted in my last post. It will be a sad say when Mark decides to move on.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

...and i have no idea what D210 is (D for dallas i guess). Also, the interviewer seems super nervous & is pretty awkward lol
    I would probably be pretty nervous too if I were her interviewing PG after the game he had.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Also, the interviewer seems super nervous & is pretty awkward lol
    Kid's got the swagger, besides, look at that hairline. LL Cool PG. Seriously, PG could OWN this city eventually. Reggie owned it because he could play ball, PG could own it because he can play ball AND be marketable. I don't want to overstate it, but that's huge in today's NBA.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-04-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    For some of you "old timers," I was in my mid teens when Smits was at his best, am I wrong in saying Roy's better right now than Rik ever was?
    This is tough because I want to just jump out right now and say that I think Roy is significantly better than Rik was.

However then I have to stop and think about the level of competition that Rik had to play against vs. what Roy does.

I'll just say this, I think Roy loves the game more and therfor ultimately will be the better player over time. That is not a slam at Rik but listeing to Rik talk after he left the game he stated that he never grew up loving the game and didn't really start working on it till college and after he left the game he attend on occasion but he has other interst. I think this is Roy's life.

I will be the first to admit though that I did not give Rik nearly enough credit while he was playing. In going back and watching him play now and comparing it to how soft todays NBA is I have to believe if Rik played today he would be almost an enforcer. He just happened to play in a time when even the small forwards in N.Y. (Mason) were stronger than most players in the NBA today.

I was there the night Rik scored 40 points vs. the Clippers and that was special.

Ok I'm rambling.

Right now Roy is the better defender and rebounder, Rik was the better shooter.

But if I had to pick one over the other I'll go with Roy everyday.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

What did he say the main reason this team is so good?

I'll repeat it for him and this should sound familiar because I have been beating this drum in every single thread where someone wants to pretend that our team should be ran like 2K12.

He said Team Chemistry.

We are a freaght train rolling, you do NOT want to mess that up.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

George's top of the key 3 totally reminded me of Danny. You can tell they worked together all summer

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The tripple double is often talked about as being a huge night, but even rarer is the 4 5's night. (Over 5 in 4 of points, rebounds, assists, steals or blocks..Candace Parker is the only player I've ever seen get a 5 for 5 night.) And for PG to do it so dominantly..
    Pacers trivia: Jamaal Tinsley posted a 5x5 during his rookie year. 12 pts 9 reb 15 ast 6 stl 5 blk. Heck, he had a 6x5 if you count fouls

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...111160IND.html

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This is tough because I want to just jump out right now and say that I think Roy is significantly better than Rik was.

However then I have to stop and think about the level of competition that Rik had to play against vs. what Roy does.

I'll just say this, I think Roy loves the game more and therfor ultimately will be the better player over time. That is not a slam at Rik but listeing to Rik talk after he left the game he stated that he never grew up loving the game and didn't really start working on it till college and after he left the game he attend on occasion but he has other interst. I think this is Roy's life.

I will be the first to admit though that I did not give Rik nearly enough credit while he was playing. In going back and watching him play now and comparing it to how soft todays NBA is I have to believe if Rik played today he would be almost an enforcer. He just happened to play in a time when even the small forwards in N.Y. (Mason) were stronger than most players in the NBA today.

I was there the night Rik scored 40 points vs. the Clippers and that was special.

Ok I'm rambling.

Right now Roy is the better defender and rebounder, Rik was the better shooter.

But if I had to pick one over the other I'll go with Roy everyday.
    Disagree. Roy is progressing nicely but he's not at Smits level yet.