Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDLOCKHART40 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    can't you see there is another thread about this topic? what a stupid post.
    I guess you can't use lower caps and chew gum at the same time.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I don't know how the logistics would work...but it would be like any other 3 Team deal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong:

NOLA sends the Pacers Kaman...we send NOLA a TPE+2nd round pick....we then flip it around and send Kaman to the Rockets for the Players/Assets that we want in return.

I could be wrong...but I suspect that more salary would have to be included since the Rockets are at $57 mil and can't absorb $14 mil without sending anything back. I suggested Courtney Lee or TWill cuz I still think that we need an upgrade at the Wing positions. I like what Inferno and Lance are doing....but I think that we should do better to improve the scoring from the backup Wing postions. We could rent Courtney Lee or TWill to see if they are worth keeping. If not, then either could be shipped to NOLA.
    I think you're on the right track but you should stop using the "send a TPE" language. That's what people object to. TPEs are "created", they're not "sent" or "traded".

If NO sends out Kaman and doesn't get anyone back then it "creates" a $14 million TPE for them (or whatever his actual salary is) that they can use in the future. If they take back a player like Jordan Hill at $3 million then it creates a TPE for them of $11 million (the difference between what they sent out and what they received).

And that huge TPE that is created is very valuable for NO in the future when they rebuild their team.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to ask this here instead of bumping that old thread.

So there are only 2 benefits to being below the $58 million dollar cap:

1) the ability to sign free agents without using exceptions.
    2) the ability to acquire players through trade without worrying about matching salaries.

I've been assuming that in future years the Pacers would want to retain their young players while staying under the $58 million cap. But it sounds like there's no pressing need to stay under it once we have all the pieces in place. So we have an extra $12 million to play with while we stay under the $70 million luxury tax cap. An extra $12 million to re-sign the young players that we want to keep.

Does that sound right? Or is there any other benefit to being under the $58 million cap?
    Sounds about right to me... but no doubt those bright minds in OKC will find some new ingenious way to make use of cap space

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think you're on the right track but you should stop using the "send a TPE" language. That's what people object to. TPEs are "created", they're not "sent" or "traded".

If NO sends out Kaman and doesn't get anyone back then it "creates" a $14 million TPE for them (or whatever his actual salary is) that they can use in the future. If they take back a player like Jordan Hill at $3 million then it creates a TPE for them of $11 million (the difference between what they sent out and what they received).

And that huge TPE that is created is very valuable for NO in the future when they rebuild their team.
    Okay...but you get my point. Whatever it's called, NOLA doesn't take back salary in the 3-Team trade scenario that I suggest.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Okay...but you get my point. Whatever it's called, NOLA doesn't take back salary in the 3-Team trade scenario that I suggest.
    Yeah, I think your scenario is a lot more likely than us blowing all our cap space on Kaman.

I suspect NO will take back a young player or two from Houston, but I don't know who. That's because I don't expect the Pacers to absorb all of the salary that Houston would be sending out.

The original report I saw said NO wants the traditional things: cap space, young players and draft picks for Kaman. So it's reasonable that they would take back at least one player.

Let's just hope Houston really does want Kaman bad enough to offer us something good to make it happen.

Sports Logo

Yeah, I think your scenario is a lot more likely than us blowing all our cap space on Kaman.

I suspect NO will take back a young player or two from Houston, but I don't know who. That's because I don't expect the Pacers to absorb all of the salary that Houston would be sending out.

The original report I saw said NO wants the traditional things: cap space, young players and draft picks for Kaman. So it's reasonable that they would take back at least one player.

Let's just hope Houston really does want Kaman bad enough to offer us something good to make it happen.
    The good thing is that the Rockets have done a really good job of acquiring a lot of young Wing Players and Picks ( thanks to NY ) that can still help out Teams as a 6th to 8th Man rotational Player.

Unlike the Pacers, for the Rockets...I wouldn't consider Kaman a rental ( technically, he would be ) as much since the Rockets have the Capspace, roster space, minutes and the desire to keep Kaman beyond this season.

I can see them parting with Johnny Flynn, Goran Dragic, Courtney Lee or TWill along with Jordan Hill to get Kaman. I'm guessing that the additional 1st round pick may be harder to get...but I would trust Stern to use his Sith Lord Powers to pursuade the Rockets to get that additional pick out of them.

If the Pacers had option of both deals....either get Kaman or get 1st+Jordan Hill....I would lean towards going with the 1st+Jordan deal. Jordan Hill is likely more athletic then Kaman is ( which isn't saying much ).....he may not be true Center nor have as good of an offensive game.....but he can do a good enough impression of a Backup Center for 15-18 mpg on a regular basis that can also play both the PF and C positions.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    says the guy from Kentucky , with 150 posts

not off to a good start dude, Anthem is a vet here
    lol you make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDLOCKHART40 View Post
    lol you make me laugh.
    Your posts aren't worth reading. I'm updating my ignore list also.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Kamans not available any more.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Update: 04:50 PM ET

The New Orleans Hornets have decided to take center Chris Kaman off the trade market and are bringing him back to the team, according to sources close to the situation. ESPN.com

Marc Stein: Going up now on ESPN online w/@Chris_Broussard: Sources say Hornets ending Chris Kaman trade talks & bringing center back to team. Twitter

The league-owned Hornets deactivated Kaman last week and told the former All-Star on Friday that he could wait at home while team officials tried to find a new trade home for him. But after discussions with numerous teams, sources said, New Orleans has decided to end those talks and recall Kaman, although it wasn't immediately clear what sort of role he'll have after Hornets coach Monty Williams announced last week that getting minutes for young players such as Jason Smith, Al-Farouq Aminu and Gustavo Ayon was the staff's priority. ESPN.com

Sam Amick: For those asking about Chris Kaman, Houston & NO went back & forth quite a bit in recent days but talks backtracked as of yesterday. Twitter

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    You mean their little con game is over.

He's still for sale. They just decided to risk injury instead of letting $10 million rot on the bench.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Well that's all BS, Houston and NO couldn't have been working anything of value.
    Houston couldn't send 12 mil out for a walk-off that the Hornets would have ever excepted.

Guess Pacers wasn't so interested or Stern wants way to much for a walk off. So just let the league pay for a useless contract.

I actually feel sorry for Kaman!
    He gets traded, then he's told to go home cause the organization doesn't see you in their future plans and we want to get assets for you. Well Chris, we can't get what we want for you so come on back with the team and we will find a spot for you. Don't worry about what people think about you...It's all about business!!!

This is just asinine!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    not off to a good start dude, Anthem is a vet here
    I've said plenty of stupid things and don't mind being called on them. But in this particular case, i made this thread in an attempt to keep non-Kaman talk out of the Kaman thread, so the answer to his question (if he were really asking) would be "no, it's different."

His post history suggests that he mostly comes here to argue, so I don't feel like I'm missing much but putting him on ignore.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

Sam Amick: For those asking about Chris Kaman, Houston & NO went back & forth quite a bit in recent days but talks backtracked as of yesterday. Twitter
    Given how the Hornets/Stern negotiations went when it came to EJ and CP3....my guess is that the asking price for Kaman was probably multiple 1st round picks, Jordan Hill, Courtney Lee, Lowry and for Kevin McHale to go over to the Stern's house to wash his car.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Well that's all BS, Houston and NO couldn't have been working anything of value.
    Houston couldn't send 12 mil out for a walk-off that the Hornets would have ever excepted.

Guess Pacers wasn't so interested or Stern wants way to much for a walk off. So just let the league pay for a useless contract.

I actually feel sorry for Kaman!
    He gets traded, then he's told to go home cause the organization doesn't see you in their future plans and we want to get assets for you. Well Chris, we can't get what we want for you so come on back with the team and we will find a spot for you. Don't worry about what people think about you...It's all about business!!!

This is just asinine!
    Well, it is a business and he's a Player that is paid millions of dollars to not play basketball...so I don't feel too bad for him.

But what I don't get is the request to "stay away" from the Team. The only reason I can see is if the Player is injured and they don't want to risk injury...but that's not the case with Kaman.

Whenever I hear that a Player is asked "stay away and/or at home", I get the sense that it's more for the "bad apples" of the Team or for a Player that is just not a good lockerroom influence. It just has a negative connotation to it. If they don't want him to play in the lineup...sit him at the end of the bench and allow him to get practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I've said plenty of stupid things and don't mind being called on them. But in this particular case, i made this thread in an attempt to keep non-Kaman talk out of the Kaman thread, so the answer to his question (if he were really asking) would be "no, it's different."

His post history suggests that he mostly comes here to argue, so I don't feel like I'm missing much but putting him on ignore.
    Yea, your title states this clearly too. "Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?"
    I've been wanting to put a (hopefully) good list together, but I have been busy all day and now, I'm not feeling to well. Hopefully I can get something together by tom. or maybe someone else will beat me to it.

I think it is a great thread to discuss other possibilities that could be better then Kaman. But, that's just me!

Well, it is a business and he's a Player that is paid millions of dollars to not play basketball...so I don't feel too bad for him.

But what I don't get is the request to "stay away" from the Team. The only reason I can see is if the Player is injured and they don't want to risk injury...but that's not the case with Kaman.

Whenever I hear that a Player is asked "stay away and/or at home", I get the sense that it's more for the "bad apples" of the Team or for a Player that is just not a good lockerroom influence. It just has a negative connotation to it. If they don't want him to play in the lineup...sit him at the end of the bench and allow him to get practice.
    I so agree with this and I have never heard anything negative about Kaman to be sending him home. Never made sense to me. I was puzzled by it and now even more so.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

But sources said that interested teams -- Cleveland and Indiana were also among those that inquired -- balked at the asking price established by the league officials (Stu Jackson and Joel Litvin) who, along with NBA commissioner David Stern, essentially function as New Orleans' ownership committee until the team is sold. ESPN.com

They will probably try to trade Kaman again near the deadline. I don't think Indiana's offer will change though.

This is a LOOOOOOONG shot but does anyone think maybe all a guy like Thabeet needs a coaching staff to rejuvenate his confidence ? Sound familiar ? (Hibbert) Obviously it isn't quite the same as Hibbert had already shown some flashes….but still a 7'3" athletic defensive guy might thrive under a Vogel coaching staff that really works wonders by pumping their players up…..it might be worth a flyer

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Wylder1324 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    This is a LOOOOOOONG shot but does anyone think maybe all a guy like Thabeet needs a coaching staff to rejuvenate his confidence ? Sound familiar ? (Hibbert) Obviously it isn't quite the same as Hibbert had already shown some flashes….but still a 7'3" athletic defensive guy might thrive under a Vogel coaching staff that really works wonders by pumping their players up…..it might be worth a flyer
    As much as I would love to see aThabeet turn it around as a Pacer I don't see it as very likely. There has been a lot said about his lack of passion, and for a guy of his build to not be successful at some level in the NBA points to that being true. If he really doesn't care about basketball no coach can help him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thabeet sucks. There are zero parallels between him and Hibbert, besides the fact they are both 7-footers.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I don't think he is similar to Hibbert in any way…. guess my point was that maybe havng a coach who is a motivator might be able to turn things around….maybe a long shot….but if he became anything like the player from UConn days on the defensive side of the ball…..pretty high reward

I have kind of had similar feelings... And even if he doesnt pan out he would still be good for Roy to practice against as Thabeet is the only player in the league that is taller than Roy...

But I would only do it if there were no better options and we are running out of time at the deadline...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope.

I was probably the biggest anti-Thabeet person here before the draft. He looked terrible in college, too. Too many "experts" just became enamored with his size and failed to notice that there was no skill behind it.

Plus, he's slower than my grandma on stilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Plus, he's slower than my grandma on stilts.
    How would she do against Tyler in a one on one matchup?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I would not trade the 1st, for any role player. A second round sure, but a 1st round pick seem to be quality talent this year. I think we should only consider players that we could trade for with teams that just want to unload Cap Space.
    Last edited by immortality; 02-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.