Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

i think you just wait til the deadline and see what offer makes the most sense. Larrys phone will likely ring off the hook up until the deadline both with direct deals as well as those that would involve the pacers being a facilitator given the fact they have so much capspace. Then he can decide which deal fits the best and is the best value. No sense in jumping the gun.

I don't like JO better than Jeff Foster at this point. Really I'd rather give those 18 back up mins to a combo of Lou and DWest, even when Jeff is out. Just my opinion.

Overall, I'm having a hard time wanting to play any of these guys mentioned over who is playing now, except Caveman and the Rondo scenario.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Banned

can't you see there is another thread about this topic? what a stupid post.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Won't there also be teams trying to get under the $58 million cap so that they can receive a share of the luxury taxes collected?
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    That's not right. Teams get a full share of luxury tax as long as they're below the $70m tax threshold, not below the cap.
    i think sturmmer is 50% right. according to wikipedia, 50% of the luxury tax payments are reserved for teams under the cap. the rest can be used as the league wants.

strummer's point is important. there will be other guys on teams between the cap and the tax that might want to cut guys to get below the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDLOCKHART40 View Post
    can't you see there is another thread about this topic? <- what a stupid post.
    I'm interpreting this correctly?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    i think sturmmer is 50% right. according to wikipedia, 50% of the luxury tax payments are reserved for teams under the cap. the rest can be used as the league wants.
    Wikipedia is wrong (fancy that!). Wikipedia is referencing Larry Coon's article, but misquoted it. We've previously discussed it: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=67134

Here's the actual text:

Distribution of luxury-tax funds

• 2005 CBA: Teams that did not pay tax each received 1/30th of the total tax fund. Taxpaying teams forfeited their tax distribution -- their money was used for "league purposes" such as the revenue-sharing program.

• 2011 CBA: No more than 50 percent of the tax funds can go exclusively to teams that did not pay tax.

• Who benefits? The previous tax system created a "cliff" at the tax threshold -- a team that was $1 under the tax line received a full tax distribution (about $2.4 million in 2011), but a team that was $1 over the tax line didn't receive anything.

Because of this cliff, teams needed to be very careful with their spending when they were near the tax threshold -- in fact, it looks like Houston was burned in 2011 by straying just $800,000 above the limit. The new system softens the blow for teams that exceed the tax line by just a little. For example, under the new system, Houston would have had to pay $800,000 in tax, but may have been eligible for a payout to offset their tax bill.

However, while the new agreement stipulates that no more than 50 percent of the tax funds can go exclusively to teams that did not pay tax, it doesn't specify what happens to the other 50 percent. It is possible the remaining tax money will be distributed to all teams in equal shares, but it's also possible the NBA will reserve this money for "league purposes."
    Refer to the part in bold. Full share of available money (the 50%) goes to non-taxpayers, not to teams under the cap. The league decides what to do with the rest. Most probably it will go towards supporting the poorer teams, without regards to what their payroll is like.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    strummer's point is important. there will be other guys on teams between the cap and the tax that might want to cut guys to get below the cap.
    That's possible, but it won't be to get a greater share of luxury tax payments.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'll kick things off. One deal I'd be looking at would be acquiring Morrow from the Nets, then Jermaine O'Neal from the Celtics. We should be able to get both of those players without giving up our 1st.
    For Boston, I'd rather go after a healthy body like Brandon Bass then go after JONeal. The only way that I'd go after JONeal is if the Celtics included incentive like a 1st ( doubt it ) or JuJuan Johnson. If all things were equal...I don't mind having JONeal as the Backup Center....but he'd be as effective as Foster is right now.....which is not that effective since he simply cannot stay healthy enough ( and therefore relied upon ) to make a difference.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Shawn Marion, Brendan Haywood, possibly Odom, but I'm not sure who else. I've been saying for weeks that I expect the Pacers to get Marion if anyone.
    Pass on Brandon Haywood and his 5 year $36 to 46 mil contract. As for Marion....he'd be an impact Player....but I'm not sure about his 3 year / $25 mil contract. As for Odom, he's an emotional wreak since leaving LaLaLand...so pass. Jason Terry is the only Player from the Mavs that I'd consider.....he'd be as "clutch" as JCraw is....but I doubt that the Mavs would part with him.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    I'm interpreting this correctly?
    I believe you are. Time to update the ignore list again.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    For Boston, I'd rather go after a healthy body like Brandon Bass then go after JONeal.
    It's all about cost, man. Jermaine would be cheap, Bass would be expensive.

What would you give up to get Bass?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Pass on Brandon Haywood and his 5 year $36 to 46 mil contract. As for Marion....he'd be an impact Player....but I'm not sure about his 3 year / $25 mil contract. As for Odom, he's an emotional wreak since leaving LaLaLand...so pass. Jason Terry is the only Player from the Mavs that I'd consider.....he'd be as "clutch" as JCraw is....but I doubt that the Mavs would part with him.
    Marion still has 3 years on his contract??? At a little over $8M. Wow. I wanted Marion till I knew that.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Im still thinkin Mayo could be had. To me that would be a nice scenerio: G Hill get back healthy, and aquire Mayo, both are free agents at the end of the year. We could sign one , neither or both.
    Remember the rumored Mayo for Morrow+1st deal a month or two ago? I thought that it was the Nets that were offering the 1st with Morrow...because the Nets wanted to clear Morrow's salary from the books and was using a 1st to do it...but I suspect that it was the Grizzlies insistance that a 1st be returned in exchange for Mayo.

Mayo would be the only option that we have with Grizzlies. But it would likely cost the Pacers a 1st. I'm not so sure that I want to give up a 1st when the Grizzlies are in a position where they will likely want to clear space. They likely need to clear cap space as much as possible and we're one of the few Teams that can help them do this. As far as I am concerned, we are in the driver's seat when it comes to making any deal and a 1st is a "no-go" for me.

If Boston slides, possibly they look to start the rebuilding process and we could offer cap relief and players/picks for Rondo
    I can see the Celtics getting more from other Teams....and doubt that they'd actually move him UNLESS they were able to get Nash...the most I would offer would be DC+1st+TPE...but anything more than that...I'd pass.

If amd its a big if, Dallas starts to realise they wont be able to get back to the finals this year, and they think they can bag both Darren Williams nad Dwight Howard , we could make a run at Jason Kidd, or Shawn Marion
    I don't see them moving Kidd.....Marion would be the only one...but I don't like his contract.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Even taking cost into consideration, why JO? Would the reasoning be sentimental, or basketball related? Because he's a shell of himself. Seeing as how the impact would primarily be for this season, I'd rather have Kaman.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    That's what the minimum it would take to open talks IMO. They are about to develop a major cancer with Speights who has been benched several times the last few games for poor play and lack of hustle. So if they do move Mayo they are going to dump Mo on whoever wants him if they can't get a 1st back.
    I saw Speights play when I went to the Warriors/Grizzlies game...I was not impressed at all. He's not worth it if you ask me.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Another thought - let's say we land Kaman. Could we swing him to a 3rd team that values him more? One that doesn't have the cap space to deal directly with NOH? To us, Kaman's a backup C, but to another team he could be the starter.
    I already have suggested being the "facilitator" in a 3 way trade:

Rockets send out - 1st round pick from the Rockets or Knicks ( pick whichever one ) + Jordan Hill + Courtney Lee or TWill ( pick 1 )
    Rockets receive - Kaman

Pacers send out - TPE + Pacers 2nd round pick
    Pacers receive - 1st round pick from the Rockets or Knicks ( pick whichever one would be lower ) + Jordan Hill + Courtney Lee or TWill ( pick 1 )

Hornets send out - Kaman
    Hornets receive - TPE + Pacers 2nd round pick

I suspect that the Rockets would have to put more Salary in to make this work...but this would be the foundation for a trade scenario where the Pacers use their Capspace while getting assets.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Even taking cost into consideration, why JO? Would the reasoning be sentimental, or basketball related? Because he's a shell of himself. Seeing as how the impact would primarily be for this season, I'd rather have Kaman.
    I suspect that it's a combination of both.....when healthy...JONeal makes sense....but the problem is that he's not.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Marion still has 3 years on his contract??? At a little over $8M. Wow. I wanted Marion till I knew that.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/dallas-mavericks-team-salary

Shawn Marion
    2011-2012 - $7,725,932
    2012-2013 - $8,396,364
    2013-2014 - $9,066,796-Early Termination Option

Total Guaranteed owed - $25.19 mil over 3 years

Brendan Haywood
    2011-2012 - $7,624,500
    2012-2013 - $8,349,000
    2013-2014 - $9,073,500
    2014-2015 - $9,798,000
    2015-2016 - $10,522,500-Non Guaranteed Contract

Total Guaranteed - $34.845 owed over the next 4 seasons

Marion's Contract isn't THAT bad....I just don't want any contracts that last beyond the 2012-2013 season.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    He's also got the worst shot selection of anyone in the entire league!
    in your opinion

but not a fact
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDLOCKHART40 View Post
    can't you see there is another thread about this topic? what a stupid post.
    says the guy from Kentucky , with 150 posts

not off to a good start dude, Anthem is a vet here
    Sittin on top of the world!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

I already have suggested being the "facilitator" in a 3 way trade:

Rockets send out - 1st round pick from the Rockets or Knicks ( pick whichever one ) + Jordan Hill + Courtney Lee or TWill ( pick 1 )
    Rockets receive - Kaman

Pacers send out - TPE + Pacers 2nd round pick
    Pacers receive - 1st round pick from the Rockets or Knicks ( pick whichever one would be lower ) + Jordan Hill + Courtney Lee or TWill ( pick 1 )

Hornets send out - Kaman
    Hornets receive - TPE + Pacers 2nd round pick

I suspect that the Rockets would have to put more Salary in to make this work...but this would be the foundation for a trade scenario where the Pacers use their Capspace while getting assets.
    I didn't think you could trade Exceptions. Plus, I think Courtney Lee would be redundant with George Hill.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 02-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    It's all about cost, man. Jermaine would be cheap, Bass would be expensive.

What would you give up to get Bass?
    They are both expiring Contracts ( Bass has a Team option ). Bass is healthy...JONeal isn't. A healthy Bass is owed $4.25 mil and an injured JONeal is $6.22 mil. I'd give up a 2nd round pick and a TPE to get Bass.

My preferance is to take on Bass over JONeal as he's more healthy...he's totally fits my description for a Backup Big Man ( yes, he's more of a PF than he is a Center...but he will do ):

- Bass is paid like a Backup Frontcourt Player should be ( $4.25 mil this year and $4.25 mil Team Option next season )
    - Bass is good enough to fill in as Starter ( if needed ) on a temporary basis.
    - Bass has a fairly decent midrange jumpshot and overall offensive game.

We shouldn't have to give up too much to get either JONeal or Bass. If ( as you suggest ) the Celtics are headed downhill and wants to shed salary, we are in the driver's seat when it comes to the "Asking price".

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I didn't think you could trade Exceptions. Plus, I think Courtney Lee would be redundant with George Hill.
    I don't know how the logistics would work...but it would be like any other 3 Team deal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong:

NOLA sends the Pacers Kaman...we send NOLA a TPE+2nd round pick....we then flip it around and send Kaman to the Rockets for the Players/Assets that we want in return.

I could be wrong...but I suspect that more salary would have to be included since the Rockets are at $57 mil and can't absorb $14 mil without sending anything back. I suggested Courtney Lee or TWill cuz I still think that we need an upgrade at the Wing positions. I like what Inferno and Lance are doing....but I think that we should do better to improve the scoring from the backup Wing postions. We could rent Courtney Lee or TWill to see if they are worth keeping. If not, then either could be shipped to NOLA.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.

in your opinion

but not a fact
    Jordan Crawford is a streaky, inefficient scorer who will take a ton of shots while on the court, struggles defensively, and doesn't really do anything else well. He has a higher usage rate than Granger -- and that's the way he has always played (including his brief stint with the Hawks), so I don't see a reason to expect that to change -- while shooting 38% (which, incidentally, is what he shot last year).

I just don't really see him as a decent fit for this team.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to asmithxc For This Useful Post:

brandon bass is a guy with some skills, but the dude is short. 6-6.25 in socks. that makes him 2 inches shorter than tyler, an inch shorter than danny. pacers are short enough at the 4 as it is. not going to say JO is the answer, cause he isn't, but pacers need size in the frontcourt.

They are both expiring Contracts ( Bass has a Team option ). Bass is healthy...JONeal isn't. A healthy Bass is owed $4.25 mil and an injured JONeal is $6.22 mil. I'd give up a 2nd round pick and a TPE to get Bass.

My preferance is to take on Bass over JONeal as he's more healthy...he's totally fits my description for a Backup Big Man ( yes, he's more of a PF than he is a Center...but he will do ):

- Bass is paid like a Backup Frontcourt Player should be ( $4.25 mil this year and $4.25 mil Team Option next season )
    - Bass is good enough to fill in as Starter ( if needed ) on a temporary basis.
    - Bass has a fairly decent midrange jumpshot and overall offensive game.

We shouldn't have to give up too much to get either JONeal or Bass. If ( as you suggest ) the Celtics are headed downhill and wants to shed salary, we are in the driver's seat when it comes to the "Asking price".

Wikipedia is wrong (fancy that!). Wikipedia is referencing Larry Coon's article, but misquoted it. We've previously discussed it: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=67134

That's possible, but it won't be to get a greater share of luxury tax payments.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to ask this here instead of bumping that old thread.

So there are only 2 benefits to being below the $58 million dollar cap:

1) the ability to sign free agents without using exceptions.
    2) the ability to acquire players through trade without worrying about matching salaries.

I've been assuming that in future years the Pacers would want to retain their young players while staying under the $58 million cap. But it sounds like there's no pressing need to stay under it once we have all the pieces in place. So we have an extra $12 million to play with while we stay under the $70 million luxury tax cap. An extra $12 million to re-sign the young players that we want to keep.

Does that sound right? Or is there any other benefit to being under the $58 million cap?