Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

Default Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

A lot of the Kaman discussion is focused on whether he makes us better. To me, it's a no-brainer that he does (provided we don't give up much to get him).

What should be weighed, though, isn't "Is it better to get Kaman or do nothing." It's "Is it better to get Kaman or do X" where X could be.... what?

The purpose of this thread is to find all available values of X. What players are likely to be available for a combination of AJ Price, our 1st-round pick, our 2nd-round pick, the Warriors' 2nd-round pick, Stanko Barac, and $14mil in cap space?

EDIT: The following teams are over the 2012 salary cap of $70.3mil.

1 Los Angeles Lakers $87,865,859
    2 Boston Celtics $79,205,308
    3 Miami Heat $77,261,861
    4 Dallas Mavericks $74,825,424
    5 San Antonio Spurs $73,158,034
    6 Memphis Grizzlies $71,411,715
    7 Atlanta Hawks $70,442,035
    Last edited by Anthem; 02-02-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Besides Kaman, who else might be available for cap space?

I'll kick things off. One deal I'd be looking at would be acquiring Morrow from the Nets, then Jermaine O'Neal from the Celtics. We should be able to get both of those players without giving up our 1st.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Shawn Marion, Brendan Haywood, possibly Odom, but I'm not sure who else. I've been saying for weeks that I expect the Pacers to get Marion if anyone.

Banned

Toronto is looking to move either Calderon or Barbosa for cap space and a pick, I think they could be combined.

Nash, probably a pick plus DC.

Devin Harris: pretty much for free.

Felton: He is not fitting with the Blazers and could be moved.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-02-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll kick things off. One deal I'd be looking at would be acquiring Morrow from the Nets, then Jermaine O'Neal from the Celtics. We should be able to get both of those players without giving up our 1st.
    Why would the Celtics trade O'Neal tho? they all ready suck enough at the position with him!
    Last edited by TheDavisBrothers; 02-02-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Im still thinkin Mayo could be had. To me that would be a nice scenerio: G Hill get back healthy, and aquire Mayo, both are free agents at the end of the year. We could sign one , neither or both.

If Boston slides, possibly they look to start the rebuilding process and we could offer cap relief and players/picks for Rondo

Jordan Crawford in Atlanta could be nice, but soeant help their salary cap issues

If amd its a big if, Dallas starts to realise they wont be able to get back to the finals this year, and they think they can bag both Darren Williams nad Dwight Howard , we could make a run at Jason Kidd, or Shawn Marion
    Sittin on top of the world!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Farmar and morrow for aj and warriors 2nd

Mayo for first

Ck for second

And tbh the first two could be combined but would probably be excessive

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Im still thinkin Mayo could be had. To me that would be a nice scenerio: G Hill get back healthy, and aquire Mayo, both are free agents at the end of the year. We could sign one , neither or both.

If Boston slides, possibly they look to start the rebuilding process and we could offer cap relief and players/picks for Rondo

Jordan Crawford in Atlanta could be nice, but soeant help their salary cap issues

If amd its a big if, Dallas starts to realise they wont be able to get back to the finals this year, and they think they can bag both Darren Williams nad Dwight Howard , we could make a run at Jason Kidd, or Shawn Marion
    Jordan Crawford? He plays for the Wizards and is complete garbage! If your thinking Jamal Crawford, he plays for Portland and we already tried signing him in the offseason and he rejected us.

EDIT: The following teams are over the 2012 salary cap of $70.3mil.

1 Los Angeles Lakers $87,865,859
    2 Boston Celtics $79,205,308
    3 Miami Heat $77,261,861
    4 Dallas Mavericks $74,825,424
    5 San Antonio Spurs $73,158,034
    6 Memphis Grizzlies $71,411,715
    7 Atlanta Hawks $70,442,035
    Won't there also be teams trying to get under the $58 million cap so that they can receive a share of the luxury taxes collected?

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just think'n...
    Kaman & DC to Boston
    Price, 2nd, cap to NOH
    Rondo, JO to IN

Could not get EJ this summer w/o trading Danny or getting a 3rd team involved. If that came to be I'd try to use Min & they could send D.Williams to NOH, or something along those lines....
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Just think'n...
    Kaman & DC to Boston
    Price, 2nd, cap to NOH
    Rondo, JO to IN

Could not get EJ this summer w/o trading Danny or getting a 3rd team involved. If that came to be I'd try to use Min & they could send D.Williams to NOH, or something along those lines....
    yea like Boston would ever trade Rondo for Kaman and DC

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    Jordan Crawford? He plays for the Wizards and is complete garbage! If your thinking Jamal Crawford, he plays for Portland and we already tried signing him in the offseason and he rejected us.
    my bad , your right. He plays for the Wizzards, but not "complete garbage" to me at all

in the last 10 games he is averaging roughly 14 points and 4 assits in 25 minutes

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

my bad , your right. He plays for the Wizzards, but not "complete garbage" to me at all

in the last 10 games he is averaging roughly 14 points and 4 assits in 25 minutes

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4243/jordan-crawford

he gets more assits than DC in much less minutes , on a bad Wizzards team

Mood

He's also got the worst shot selection of anyone in the entire league!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

yea like Boston would ever trade Rondo for Kaman and DC
    Yeah, that's pretty awful for the Celts.

They'll almost certainly hold onto Rondo. If they move anybody, it would probably be Allen and Jermaine.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Why would the Celtics trade O'Neal tho? they all ready suck enough at the position with him!
    I expect them to fall apart as the season goes on. If that starts to happen, they're better off dealing their expiring contracts to pick up assets (small as they might be) and get a better pick.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I would love to grab Devin Harris.

Harris and Mayo are two talented guards that just need a change of scenery
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Im still thinkin Mayo could be had.
    We would have to give up a ton to get Mayo right now he's been their best player here of late. He's averaging 15.2 PPG off their bench the last 10 games and is their only source of outside shooting. It would take Tyler and a 2nd with us taking back Speights to even get them remotely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    We would have to give up a ton to get Mayo right now he's been their best player here of late. He's averaging 15.2 PPG off their bench the last 10 games and is their only source of outside shooting. It would take Tyler and a 2nd with us taking back Speights to even get them remotely interested.
    are you saying Tyler and a 2nd for Speights and Mayo??
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    are you saying Tyler and a 2nd for Speights and Mayo??
    That's what the minimum it would take to open talks IMO. They are about to develop a major cancer with Speights who has been benched several times the last few games for poor play and lack of hustle. So if they do move Mayo they are going to dump Mo on whoever wants him if they can't get a 1st back.

Id be happy with Kaman or JO for nothing.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Won't there also be teams trying to get under the $58 million cap so that they can receive a share of the luxury taxes collected?
    That's not right. Teams get a full share of luxury tax as long as they're below the $70m tax threshold, not below the cap.

I expect them to fall apart as the season goes on. If that starts to happen, they're better off dealing their expiring contracts to pick up assets (small as they might be) and get a better pick.
    Yeah if that happens I'd hope we're looking at Allen and JO. Maybe even Pierce, but his contract is too big.

I like the Marion idea as well, though it will mess with next year's cap space.

I won't object to getting Kaman for a low price, but agree with Anthem that opportunity cost has to be factored in.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Another thought - let's say we land Kaman. Could we swing him to a 3rd team that values him more? One that doesn't have the cap space to deal directly with NOH? To us, Kaman's a backup C, but to another team he could be the starter.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

From the list of teams over the tax, I like going for Chalmers and Hinrich.

Also, Felton sounds good if he's available.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Another thought - let's say we land Kaman. Could we swing him to a 3rd team that values him more? One that doesn't have the cap space to deal directly with NOH? To us, Kaman's a backup C, but to another team he could be the starter.
    Cable said something about this in another thread. I thought that was a good idea and I looked at it. Problem is if we send Kaman to someone else we have to take back salary thus losing our cap space for next year. It would only be worth it if we got someone in the exchange that we thought would be worth giving up cap space for.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post: