Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pacers Leader for Kaman?"

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: "Pacers Leader for Kaman?"

According to SI.com's Sam Amick, talks with the Rockets have involved Hasheem Thabeet and Jordan Hill. Either would easily trump any offer of Stubby Price and a 2nd, although that we can take $12M off of their cap would have to be enticing.

I'd have no problem with us offering up Hansbrough or a 1st if I thought there was a realistic shot we'd re-sign Kaman in the offseason. I wouldn't give up either for a 40~ game (plus the playoffs) rental, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm probably reaching, but it seems like the Hornets have some people interested in buying them. I agree that a scrub and a 2nd rounder probably isn't enough, but maybe they want to shed every dollar they can to make them more "attractive."
    Anyone interested in buying the team would recognize that Kaman is worth at least a first rounder, especially to some near contenders desperate to get him, and would rather hold onto him and get a good deal. I can't see his contract being an obstacle as far as selling the team.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to steal him in exchange for cap space, but I don't see it happening.

man...this would be amazing

Hibby / West
    Kaman / Hansbrough
    Foster / Amundson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I'd rather try to make a move for Steve Nash or another true difference maker in a cap space move, but if there's no deal like that to be had...sure, why not? Our already army of "tough guy" bigs would grow even more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Kaman's on a $14 million expiring deal. He's played in 17 games this year and the games he's missed the ESPN box scores have literally said something like "franchise decision" or something that for the games he doesn't. Seems healhty (for not).
    ORGANIZATIONAL DECISION ...1st time I've ever seen that designation in a box score.

Mood

I really dont like Kaman's game I have watched most his games over the past few years. After his all star year he has been awful. I wouldn't give a 2012 first rd pick for him. He could play with Hibbert because most of his offense comes from 15ft jumpers but defensively Kaman is really bad. If he is only playing backup to Hibbert he would probably be good but I wouldn't give up a 2012 pick for him way to many players who I like who will be on the board when we pick.

also Pizza Guy Kaman isnt tough he is kind of the opposite IMO he may look rugged but he plays way more like a skilled C then even Roy Hibbert. Kaman doesnt like to bang at least in the past few years he hasn't.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    How's that? Another trade can be done to get Morrow or someone else in that salary range.
    It would mean no Allen or JR Smith type of deal, which I'd be fine with.

No Morrow means no cap left. The Nets want cap for him in order to get Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Nets want a salary dump. Kaman would take all of our salary cap space.

You beat me to it. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post

Lou's expiring contract would most likely be in the deal to the Hornets anyway.

The whole idea of Kaman being traded is to give other young Bigs PT. They have no need for Lou.

Is Kaman as good as he used to be? Real question. I just don't know anything about him anymore.

Sounds good from your reactions, but my honest question is if he is who he used to be.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My only question is what type of condition is Kaman in and is he healthy. Even if both are issues, I'd still love to get him, but I'm not sure we are getting the same Kaman who was so good 3 years ago or so. Not that he's old, but he's been injured.
    I watched him with Germany in the EB. He had a great Eurobasket this summer. So, in summer he was in top notch shape. Unless he has an injury that we have not heard there is no reason for him to not be in shape.

PS: He is still solid as hell. Having him as a back up is a hyperbole. He would be a starter in most teams.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Can anyone tell me why he has essentially been banished from their team? Perhaps it's common knowledge but as someone who has no clue about what's going on with them it would seem concerning to me that they are paying this guy 14 million to not be with the team. It's one thing to bench someone but to not allow them to be with the team is Tinsley-like.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie4Three For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Another plus: Not only would he be a great backup center, he would be an excellent backup for Peck if there's no one that day for "The Ugly."
    Disagree. Kaman used to had long hair and a beard so he has to be handsome. Or else my world falls apart

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    Can anyone tell me why he has essentially been banished from their team? Perhaps it's common knowledge but as someone who has no clue about what's going on with them it would seem concerning to me that they are paying this guy 14 million to not be with the team. It's one thing to bench someone but to not allow them to be with the team is Tinsley-like.
    No he is a good guy with a Mike Dunleavy like personality really funny.

They basically decided they weren't extending him. And Dell Demps said he would have to stay at home until he is traded so the younger guys like Ayon can play. With his injury history it is the smart move.

He is nothing but professional his personality would be good with the team. I just don't like his style of play much. I would consider it if the price is right but Kaman is a high volume guy who needs 15 shots to be effective but he could likely get that many with our bench unit.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think I'd rather try to make a move for Steve Nash or another true difference maker in a cap space move,
    This.

Point guard is our biggest need, and even bigger now with George Hill down.

Also, I wonder if Kaman would hurt our smashmouth identity.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

21. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chris Kaman... aka.... Hans Klopek

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post
    Horrible music but here is a highlight mix. Keep in mind those passes are coming from a 7-footer.

Edit: Found one with better music.
    So this is great and all... but the highlight video itself is over 3 years old. Which means the highlights are 4+ years old at minimum. Hell one of the plays was against Alonzo Mourning. Yeah.

I LOVE the idea of Kaman. But *this* is not the Kaman we would be getting.

Which is ok. Because if it was he isn't the man on the bench... Hibbert is.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

24. The Following User Says Thank You to A.B.Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post

They've already sent him home, though. Why pay him $12 million to sit at home? If they can trade him and not have to pay that, of course it helps them.

I agree!

Let me throw this scenario out there. Normally when a team wants to trade a player he's kept on the squad and not sent home with a designation of Organizational Decision. That reminds me of the Pacers and Tinsley situation. Could there be an issue of some sort with Kaman, thus NOLA trying to unload Kaman in a trade? Maybe an issue such as he has let it be known he was unhappy being traded to NOLA or he's unhappy with his minutes, and it's become a very ugly situation? Does Kaman have a rep for being a disgruntled player? The Pacers don't need to bring in a chemistry breaker. If he's not a "problem child", I'm all for it as I've been advocating for a b/u 5 for what seems like forever. Most generally my wishes don't come to fruitition, but I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 02-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I really dont like Kaman's game I have watched most his games over the past few years. After his all star year he has been awful. I wouldn't give a 2012 first rd pick for him. He could play with Hibbert because most of his offense comes from 15ft jumpers but defensively Kaman is really bad. If he is only playing backup to Hibbert he would probably be good but I wouldn't give up a 2012 pick for him way to many players who I like who will be on the board when we pick.

also Pizza Guy Kaman isnt tough he is kind of the opposite IMO he may look rugged but he plays way more like a skilled C then even Roy Hibbert. Kaman doesnt like to bang at least in the past few years he hasn't.
    I would think against another team's second unit, a legit 7-footer with his size could still qualify. I don't know as much about his game as you do, but I seem to remember him being an active rebounder. Is that accurate? If so, with his size and role on this team, I'd say it'd be a good match.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I agree!

Let me throw this scenario out there. Normally when a team wants to trade a player he's kept on the squad and not sent home with a designation of Organizational Decision. That reminds me of the Pacers and Tinsley situation. Could there be an issue of some sort with Kaman, thus NOLA trying to unload Kaman in a trade? Maybe an issue such as he has let it be known he was unhappy being traded to NOLA or he's unhappy with his minutes, and it's become a very ugly situation? Does Kaman have a rep for being a disgruntled player? The Pacers don't need to bring in a chemistry breaker. If he's not a "problem child", I'm all for it as I've been advocating for a b/u 5 for what seems like forever. Most generally my wishes don't come to fruitition, but I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.
    no there is no such thing with Kaman. They are rebuilding so they have no use for Kaman and while they were looking for a trade they didn't want him to get hurt in practice with the team so they told him to just stay home. There really isnt any more to it than that.

We had a conversation with Chris and expressed that the Hornets are going to go in a different direction,” Demps said. “Chris has been the ultimate professional during this process and we thank him for the way he has handled the situation.”
    Dell Demps on the situation

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I would think against another team's second unit, a legit 7-footer with his size could still qualify. I don't know as much about his game as you do, but I seem to remember him being an active rebounder. Is that accurate? If so, with his size and role on this team, I'd say it'd be a good match.
    Ya he will rebound on both ends that is probably his strength. But on defense he is pretty bad except for weakside shot blocking. He would probably be a decent to good defender playing versus backup Cs. But I would guess if we got him he would play more than just a typical backup I would think he would get some time at PF in some games. He is offensively a very good big and can play PF on offensive. But defensively he would hurt us playing a lot of PF but in stretches he could probably play it.

Kaman just drove me crazy last year he takes so many midrange jumpers when he should be in the post posting up. He takes a **** ton of shots very high volume for a C.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

Ayon can play.

Looks like NOLA picked up a great gift in Ayron. IIRC, he is averaging 5.5/4.5 with 10 pts last night.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Looks like NOLA picked up a great gift in Ayron. IIRC, he is averaging 5.5/4.5 with 10 pts last night.
    Ya he is better than Kaman at this point in his career. I think Bird will regret not getting him he looks to be a steal. He is far more my style than Kaman. But a Kaman type may be what our 2nd unit needs.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This would be incredible
    As Dohman said, this would be a Pacers "Rasheed" deal, the kind of "for free" serious impact player that takes a team from 4th seed to title contention.

Remember how the other Hornets deals have gone, the NBA is trying to reduce their salary to entice someone to buy the team.

Hill and Thabeet are something, but HT is on the verge of bust due to his always existed issue of being inept on offense, and Hill had been inconsistent and soft in a way that suggests career 7th man.

Meaning that as "prospects" they have little value. They don't carry big trade value, they aren't free, and they aren't big expiring contracts really. So paying to have them vs not paying and not having them probably isn't a massive upside on a deal and shouldn't put the Pacers out of the running.

Let's do the checklist if we get Kaman on things we got from New Orleans...

1) A Manning
    2) Super Bowl
    3) Bender (kinda)
    4) Collison
    5) West
    6) Kaman
    edit
    7) Granger (thanks guys)

Welcome to Big Easy North where we call hurricanes "tornadoes" and cajuns "rednecks" and Mardi Gras "the Snake Pit".
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-02-2012 at 12:01 PM.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Anyone interested in buying the team would recognize that Kaman is worth at least a first rounder, especially to some near contenders desperate to get him, and would rather hold onto him and get a good deal. I can't see his contract being an obstacle as far as selling the team.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to steal him in exchange for cap space, but I don't see it happening.
    I'd say the opposite. We're doing NOH a Huge favor by making their team much more digestible for buyers. Sending a pick or young talent in addition is just stupid, really stupid.

If we do this and trade our 1st, there's a chance we'll have lost our last two 1st round picks for nothing.

And like p4e I hate Kaman's game. 14M pro-rated is a large amount of money for Simon to pay. It could be the difference between a profitable season and another season in the red. And for what? A bench player that makes a marginal difference at best?

This deal has the potential to be somewhere between bad and terrible, IMO.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: