Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: "Pacers Leader for Kaman?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: "Pacers Leader for Kaman?"

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The last I heard was that New Orleans would be willing to do pretty much a straight salary dump for him.

Stars on the Trading Block - ESPN Insider

The asking price for Kaman plummeted right around the time it was announced that the Hornets had found new ownership. I doubt that's a coincidence.
    I'll believe it when I see it. I can't see them giving him up for just a second round pick, but I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    As Dohman said, this would be a Pacers "Rasheed" deal, the kind of "for free" serious impact player that takes a team from 4th seed to title contention.

Remember how the other Hornets deals have gone, the NBA is trying to reduce their salary to entice someone to buy the team.

Hill and Thabeet are something, but HT is on the verge of bust due to his always existed issue of being inept on offense, and Hill had been inconsistent and soft in a way that suggests career 7th man.

Meaning that as "prospects" they have little value. They don't carry big trade value, they aren't free, and they aren't big expiring contracts really. So paying to have them vs not paying and not having them probably isn't a massive upside on a deal and shouldn't put the Pacers out of the running.

Let's do the checklist if we get Kaman on things we got from New Orleans...

1) A Manning
    2) Super Bowl
    3) Bender (kinda)
    4) Collison
    5) West
    6) Kaman
    edit
    7) Granger (thanks guys)

Welcome to Big Easy North where we call hurricanes "tornadoes" and cajuns "rednecks" and Mardi Gras "the Snake Pit".
    Super Bowl was in Miami.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Well if we don't get Kaman, he's going to go to Miami and we could easily prevent that WHILE adding a 12 and 7 guy (at the least) for nothing...
    Is that how the buyout and waiver process works?

Does he have a choice as to where he ends up if he's bought out?

Isnt he essentially a Free Agent where he can choose where he wants to go?

Before you say that he has no choice...if he is bought out...does he really have no choice?

I know that the Amnesty scenario is different....but what's to prevent Kaman and his Agent from complaining to high heaven ( see what Chauncey did after he was thrown under the bus by the Knicks ) until he ends up in Miami or MSG?
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-04-2012 at 02:59 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

As I understand a player who is bought out and waived has to wait for the 48 our waiver process to clear waivers. During that time any team far enough under the cap can claim the player and pay his entire remaining salary for the length of his contract. If more then 1 team claims him, the team with the worse record gets him. If no team claims the player he then can choose to play for any team that wants him for a minimum salary.
    I don't think any other team but the Pacers are far enough under the cap to claim Kaman so they'd have no competition. It very rarely happens that a player is claimed and most bought out players get to go chase a ring while their old team foots the bill. I think it would be accurate to say that the Pacers are the only team that can keep Kaman from Miami if he's bought out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    As I understand a player who is bought out and waived has to wait for the 48 our waiver process to clear waivers. During that time any team far enough under the cap can claim the player and pay his entire remaining salary for the length of his contract. If more then 1 team claims him, the team with the worse record gets him. If no team claims the player he then can choose to play for any team that wants him for a minimum salary.
    I don't think any other team but the Pacers are far enough under the cap to claim Kaman so they'd have no competition. It very rarely happens that a player is claimed and most bought out players get to go chase a ring while their old team foots the bill. I think it would be accurate to say that the Pacers are the only team that can keep Kaman from Miami if he's bought out.
    Problem is they could be holding teams hostage, especially the Pacers. The Hornets state that they will not buyout Kaman's contract if he isn't dealt by the 15th. This for some teams and mainly the Pacers could cause problems.

If the Pacers can't make a deal with the Hornets by the deadline, what other deals could the Pacers miss out on cause of doing a dance with the Hornets.

Also, If the Pacers can't make a deal for Kaman. The Pacers do another deal(s) and some or all the the cap get spent, then the Hornets could buy him out and the Heat get what they want...and I'm sure Stern would say that it was a business decision if he is ever ask and it will be swept under the rug.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Problem is they could be holding teams hostage, especially the Pacers. The Hornets state that they will not buyout Kaman's contract if he isn't dealt by the 15th. This for some teams and mainly the Pacers could cause problems.

If the Pacers can't make a deal with the Hornets by the deadline, what other deals could the Pacers miss out on cause of doing a dance with the Hornets.

Also, If the Pacers can't make a deal for Kaman. The Pacers do another deal(s) and some or all the the cap get spent, then the Hornets could buy him out and the Heat get what they want...and I'm sure Stern would say that it was a business decision if he is ever ask and it will be swept under the rug.
    I think your probably right and I hope it doesn't go down to where Miami gets him. The only risk the Hornets would be taking by not dealing with the Pacers is that they might lose a measly 2cd. round pick but might lose there only opportunity to save the remainder of his salary off their books this year. Maybe the Pacers should call them out on this by looking at other salary dump opportunities now and let them know about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If a trade is not made that will give the Hornets something/anything in return, what do the Hornets have to gain by waiving Kaman? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. After all, they would then end up paying him, whether he plays or not. Therefore, it comes down to whether the Hornets are better with or without Kaman or whether anything else could be gained by retaining him.

I think the Hornets are better with Kaman than without replacement players or picks for him. And by retaining him, he still has a possible value this summer for them through sign-and-trade, no matter how small that chance might be.

So, if Kaman is not traded, then no one gets him... at least not until this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    If a trade is not made that will give the Hornets something/anything in return, what do the Hornets have to gain by waiving Kaman? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. After all, they would then end up paying him, whether he plays or not. Therefore, it comes down to whether the Hornets are better with or without Kaman or whether anything else could be gained by retaining him.

I think the Hornets are better with Kaman than without replacement players or picks for him. And by retaining him, he still has a possible value this summer for them through sign-and-trade, no matter how small that chance might be.

So, if Kaman is not traded, then no one gets him... at least not until this summer.
    Of course they could opt to trade him to just get a draft pick and help secure that #1 pick.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I think your probably right and I hope it doesn't go down to where Miami gets him. The only risk the Hornets would be taking by not dealing with the Pacers is that they might lose a measly 2cd. round pick but might lose there only opportunity to save the remainder of his salary off their books this year. Maybe the Pacers should call them out on this by looking at other salary dump opportunities now and let them know about it.
    Good idea and hopefully Pacers FO is doing so.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."