Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the ZIP?! How is Roy not mentioned in this article?

Default What the ZIP?! How is Roy not mentioned in this article?

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

I can't believe there was this headline and not a word about him? I sent the guy an email mentioning what Roy has been doing this year. I honestly think Roy has to be #2 center on the East's All-Star team this year.

Can't anybody around here play the pivot anymore?

Posted Jan 31 2012 9:30AM

Can a player who never hears his number called on offense and doesn't even lead his team in rebounds make the All-Star Game? Well, not only is it possible, it very well could happen.

And this is no disrespect to DeAndre Jordan of the Clippers, a bouncy, hard-working defender with velcro hands that come in handy when catching lob passes. It just says more about the center position and how secondary it has become.

Dwight Howard is the most dominant big man in a league running short on supreme 7-foot talent. It used to be a player that big would be tough to hide. But plenty of teams now are doing a good job of making centers all but invisible. Or maybe centers are doing that to themselves.

Wouldn't you de-emphasize the position if your big man didn't offer much, especially offensively?

In a trend that is flourishing mainly by default, teams are plugging the middle with one-dimensional role players, power forwards or simply someone who can breathe. We might be looking at the least-imposing group of centers in a long while, maybe ever. The most important position on the floor looks the weakest.

"You just can't find dominant big men, at least not in great numbers," said Rick Sund, the general manager of the Hawks. "It's always been the hardest position to fill, but even more right now. And I don't know why."

Only Howard, Andrea Bargnani, Al Jefferson and Greg Monroe lead their teams in scoring. That's four out of 30 starting centers. And Bargnani is a shooter and hardly a center in the traditional sense, if that even exists anymore. Other than rebounding and blocking shots, centers aren't asked to do anything except stay out of the way.

Essentially, the revolution is long over. The evolution continues. Point guard is now the richest position in terms of depth and skill; almost every team has a good one. Then the swing positions. Centers, the dependable ones anyway, are a rare luxury.

Just digest some of the more interesting scenarios playing out at center around the league:

Blazers: Stung by the string of surgeries to Greg Oden, Portland might make it possible for Marcus Camby to play until he's 40.

Celtics: They're starting Jermaine O'Neal, who's in his 16th year and might get four touches a game. And he's younger and more active than the O'Neal the Celtics tried last year.

Bulls: Joakim Noah's rebounding is 9.1 a game, down from 11.7. His sideways-spinning jumper is something to behold.

Heat: Once home to Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal, the middle is being manned by Joel Anthony and Eddy Curry. And Anthony, anyway, is constantly praised for bringing "energy," which surprisingly doesn't translate into many rebounds.

Hornets: Emeka Okafor, taken after Howard in the 2004 Draft, has career averages of 12 points and 10 rebounds and has never made an All-Star team. Howard is 18 and 13 and a four-time All-NBA first team and three-time Defensive Player of the Year.

Timberwolves: They gave a contract to Darko Millicic, whose career was left for dead after he imploded with the Pistons, the team that drafted him over Dwyane Wade (among others) because he was big.

"You'll see a game where most of the time, a center won't be among the 10 players on the floor," said Sund.

In the seven drafts since Howard, franchise centers have been hard to come by. Andrew Bogut was taken first overall in 2005, followed later by Andrew Bynum. But they've been staggered by injuries. And both, when healthy, have made a career of feasting on centers who are too short or too limited to challenge them.

Since the Howard draft, only one draft has produced an All-Star, and that player, 6-foot-10 Al Horford, believes he's better off at power forward, a position he'll never play for the Hawks unless they find a true (and decent enough) center.

The centers drafted among the top 10 since Howard: Bargnani, Patrick O'Bryant, Oden, Spencer Hawes, Horford, Brook Lopez, Hasheem Thabeet, DeMarcus Cousins (who also plays power forward for the Kings) and Jonas Valanciunas. Not exactly an imposing group.

After the Raptors used the fifth pick last summer on Valanciunas, who's still tied contractually to his club team in Europe and won't play in the NBA this season, coach Dwane Casey said: "I don't care if the guy is from outer space, because you can't find a lot of big guys that can run the floor, are athletic with great hands, dives down the lane and finishes at the rim."

If the 19-year-old can do all that, he'll immediately find himself at the front of the line among NBA centers.

The shortage of decent pivot players can be blamed on expansion (not enough big men to fill 30 teams), AAU ball (suspect teaching methods) or the fact it's just hard for mothers to give birth to 7-footers who can do a drop-step without tripping. Even with the search for capable big man going global, how many more Yao Mings have emerged from the billion or so candidates in China?

At this rate, plenty of teams would be thrilled to settle for another DeAndre Jordan. They don't make many like him anymore, you know.

Shaun Powell is a veteran NBA writer and columnist. You can e-mail him here and follow him on twitter.

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What the ZIP?! How is Roy not mentioned in this article?

Wow..

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, you have injuries to Bogut, Brooks, and Horford. And it seems like a guy like Aldridge could easily play C.

This article seems to be reaching.

To write an article about centers in the NBA right now and completely omit Roy is mind-boggling.

With Bogut, Lopez, Horford, and Bargnani out Roy's only competition is Noah and Varejao. I'm a fan of both of those guys, but I don't think it's really a question Roy deserves an All Star bid over them.

Other than it helping with making some more locals take notice, I'd really rather he NOT make it. Short season, the ankle, the nose, rather he get some rest.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This cold shoulder the NBA has been giving the Pacers is actually becoming pretty entertaining. Its like how is the media going to snub us next? Somewhere along the line, Indiana has managed to rub the ENTIRE NBA the wrong way. Gives them a "us against the world" mentality, and that can be used as motivation. Its like they are doing it on purpose and I kind of like it.

Youre right though. How Hibbs wasnt even mentioned is complete BS. I mean look at all the scrubs they named, and Roy is having an All-Star season. Not to mention he fits the exact description of the Center the writer said the NBA was lacking.
    Last edited by CreekShow; 02-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    I Bleed Blue

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

I can't believe there was this headline and not a word about him? I sent the guy an email mentioning what Roy has been doing this year. I honestly think Roy has to be #2 center on the East's All-Star team this year.
    This should tell everyone that what national writers say doesn't mean any more than what we say on here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    To write an article about centers in the NBA right now and completely omit Roy is mind-boggling.
    The guy also said Okafor was taken over Howard in the 04 draft...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    The guy also said Okafor was taken over Howard in the 04 draft...
    It says taken after Howard
    I Bleed Blue

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:

J7F

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I saw it too. I mean, fine, you don't have to think Roy is the best thing ever. But to write a whole article about the death of the traditional back to the basket center and not even mention Roy at all?

Shoddy writing at the very least.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

If you mention that there actually is more than one productive center then your whole story falls apart...this guy is obviously slacking at doing his research.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Hack of an article.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I just tweeted him to ask him how he can write an article about centers in the NBA and not mention Roy. I doubt he responds but if he does I will let you know.

I agree with you guys btw, there is just no way you can talk about the postion with talking about either him or Mark Gasol who he also left off.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sent the guy an email. I told him unless he amended his column to include something about Hibbert, I could only conclude that he was ignorant about the NBA, a poor writer, or both.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I just tweeted him to ask him how he can write an article about centers in the NBA and not mention Roy. I doubt he responds but if he does I will let you know.

I agree with you guys btw, there is just no way you can talk about the postion with talking about either him or Mark Gasol who he also left off.
    I saw someone else tweet him about Roy and he responded that roy didnt even fetch an extension... i tweeted him saying roy put off the extension but havent heard back from him

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I saw someone else tweet him about Roy and he responded that roy didnt even fetch an extension... i tweeted him saying roy put off the extension but havent heard back from him
    Wow... "Roy didn't even fetch an extension"? How ignorant. I'm almost sorry I rewarded this dude with the attention of an annoyed email.

Dude has obviously not done his research. You would think an editor would raise an eyebrow or something at this article.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    Wow... "Roy didn't even fetch an extension"? How ignorant. I'm almost sorry I rewarded this dude with the attention of an annoyed email.

Dude has obviously not done his research. You would think an editor would raise an eyebrow or something at this article.
    I think he does a lot of work for ESPN NY

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I emailed him as well. His response back to me was:

"Hibbert is decent. Not dominant."

Mood

Typical ignorant, big media. He will see when the playoffs roll around.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

As someone mentioned he left out Marc Gasol. As well as Bynum, Duncan, and Gortat who is having a great season.

Mood

Jordan has no chance in hell at making the all-star game, unless he's Paul's and Griffin's water boy! Bynum and Jefferson are gonna be the C's for the west and I don't know how many times I have to say this Bargnani is not playing C this year! He's a PF and Hibbert SHOULD be the other C for the east

I emailed and and sent him the stats, 55 is avg 14 and 10. Suggested he might want to pull the article because it was somewhat humiliating toward him. Told him 55 had 18 and 14 wed and 15 and 9 tonight and that every stat has went up every year and the pacers are now 15-6 while playing 14 of them on the road.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to aceace For This Useful Post:

Bombard him with e-mails: powellnba@aol.com

34. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

E-mail sent. I know I don't have to babysit anyone, but please don't send him nasty e-mails. It's not going to do anything but give him a bad impression of Pacers fans. If he watches any film of Hibbert he'll know he was wrong by excluding him, we don't need to brow-beat him. If he refuses to admit that Hibbert is a top center in the league, so what? We know.