Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Game 20 vs the Nets

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Game 20 vs the Nets

Peck, thank you for all your "odd thoughts" posts this year. I mostly lurk on the board to read analysis of PAcers games since I don't get to see many games. Therefore I really appreciate the efforts you put into your posts. Much better than what I read in the papers.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:

I do wish this team had a player like Darren McKey though, like the '94 team.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do wish this team had a player like Darren McKey though, like the '94 team.
    Uhh, I think you mean Derrick Mckey...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    Uhh, I think you mean Derrick Mckey...
    Peck typed Derrick in his post instead of Darren and Speed is saying Darren instead of Derrick. Why don't people pick up on these things?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cramerica For This Useful Post:

And Peck loved McKey....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    How is it the big fella has games like these and you just don't even notice. I was shocked his numbers were so big. I thought he had like 8pts and 6boards. Roy's gonna get paid!
    I'm telling you....the Rockets are going to offer him a MAX contract in the offseason.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Frank has been a great coach and all , but I have been talking about Stephenson's improved defense all season. The kid needs to be given credit. He spent his whole summer in Indiana working on his game. As much as I like Vogal, Stephenson didn't just improve over the last 2 games.

While no-one from the organization could babysit him, he worked his tail off and got better. If thats not a sign of maturity I don't know what is. This kid lives and breathes basketball and we should be happy to have him. Lance even did a respectable job defending Derrick rose in the preseason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4FH32Pxxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEEJDh2HJuI

And they took off the one where he murdered the Under Armour squad..

By me ^^

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post

Kudos to Bird for recognizing what he had in Vogel and for accepting who Vogel surrounded himself with.
    Well . . .

Actually, Bird didn't quite recognize what he had early on. And it was Bird who insisted Vogel surround himself with strong talent.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    And Peck loved McKey....
    Actually . . .

Paul George is turning into a defender of McKey-like talent. AND he has some offensive aggression.

Peck in paradise.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm telling you....the Rockets are going to offer him a MAX contract in the offseason.
    And if he keeps playing like this, he'll be worth it, and the Pacers will match it.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Well . . .

Actually, Bird didn't quite recognize what he had early on. And it was Bird who insisted Vogel surround himself with strong talent.
    So you don't think its a good idea for the youngest coach in the league to have an experienced staff? I bet Frank loves working with Shaw .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    So you don't think its a good idea for the youngest coach in the league to have an experienced staff? I bet Frank loves working with Shaw .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    How did you gather that?

How did you gather that?
    I guess I thought you were referring to Bird insisting on an experienced staff as a negative thing.

Assume =

I wonder if you saw him in summer league two years ago? If you had, you would have known from the beginning that he is a natural point guard with tremendous gifts.

In fact, last night's highlight doesn't happen if someone else steals the ball. But if Lance has it, PG knows Lance will find him if he streaks to the basket.
    How can you remember what happened two years ago and don't remember what occurred last night? Lou is the one that stole the ball, not Lance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    And Peck loved McKey....
    LOL!

For those who don't know, Peck nicknamed Derrick McKey, Satan.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    LOL!

For those not around then Peck naked him Satan.

LOL!

For those not around then Peck naked him Satan.
    Peck finally clothed himself, however.

But he got naked again for JOB.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

No offense, but your explanation of how volatile our offense is doesn't hold much merit. The he can pass to this guy, to this guy, to this guy thing is called basketball, and everyone on an NBA team should be able to score.

You really think this team has as many offensive weapons as Chicago, Oklahoma, Miami, or even the Lakers? They pass to this guy, to this guy, to that guy too. Only difference is each of those teams mentioned have a former MVP or Scoring champion on their team, as well as second options that score more than our leading scorer.

To say our team has scoring depth is an over statement. We are a collective bunch of mediocre scorers who can all easily fall cold (see the box scores of our six losses).

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

What nobody else heard that we traded for Derrick Rose? I guess I'm the only one then.

Yes obviously that should have been Darren.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    No offense, but your explanation of how volatile our offense is doesn't hold much merit. The he can pass to this guy, to this guy, to this guy thing is called basketball, and everyone on an NBA team should be able to score.

You really think this team has as many offensive weapons as Chicago, Oklahoma, Miami, or even the Lakers? They pass to this guy, to this guy, to that guy too. Only difference is each of those teams mentioned have a former MVP or Scoring champion on their team, as well as second options that score more than our leading scorer.

To say our team has scoring depth is an over statement. We are a collective bunch of mediocre scorers who can all easily fall cold (see the box scores of our six losses).
    Your criticism of my writing is valid. I freely admit that I was just throwing out ideas, which is how I do all of my odd thoughts, without researching any data to back it up.

However your criticism of the teams depth of offense by stating to look at the 6 losses kind of rings hollow when we could point out that there are 14 wins to view the actual depth.

No, we don't have an MVP or former MVP on the team. We don't have anyone selected higher than # 10 in the draft either so we don't have that *It* player. That is the whole point, we have five guys on the floor who on any given night, not just on rare occasions, can lead the team in scoring.

Some nights it is Roy, some it is Danny others it's David and so on and so forth.

Looking at the teams you mentioned I would still say that we have 5 starters who are better at scoring. They all have 2 players who can score at will but only really Chicago has 5 players capable of being the leading scorer on any given night and even then that is stretching it. Noah is a great player but not really going to be the focus of offense.

I mean in L.A. Neither Fisher or Artest (when he is starting) are going to be the focus of the offense. OKC has a great team with a great mixture of players but neither Ibaka or Perkins are going to lead the team in offensive production. Do you think the Heat draw up a lot of plays for Joel Anthony?

Now here is the deal, none of these teams need to do what we have to do. We don't have a superstar that can go get 30 every single night no matter what, so what we are doing is going across the board. Denver and Philly are also doing this.

But again, you are dead on about my writing on this and I will attempt to improve. Thanks

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

But again, you are dead on about my writing on this and I will attempt to improve. Thanks
    I need to improve on my proof reading oh naked one.

I need to improve on my proof reading oh naked one.
    I wasn't sure if I was naked or if Mckey was but either way it was not a pretty thought.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love tipos.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    And yet those teams are not significantly more likely to outscore their opponents.

To what do you attribute this?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!