Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

  1. #1
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-wes...-to-next-level

    The Indiana Pacers are currently the fifth seed in the Eastern Conference and they have an excellent résumé at the quarter mark of the season. Indiana has impressive road wins against the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics among others, and they have yet to lose two games in a row. After five straight losing seasons, the Pacers have assembled a very talented team that is capable of making a deep playoff run if all goes as planned.

    Who deserves the most credit for Indiana’s success? If you ask the players, they’ll say David West.

    “David is the reason why we’re so high in the standings right now,” Darren Collison told HOOPSWORLD. “He means a lot to this team. He’s been good for us on the offensive end, defensive end and off the court. He has been really positive for our team in all aspects.”

    The Pacers signed West to a two-year deal worth $20 million over the offseason, in an attempt to take the next step from up-and-coming team to legitimate contender. They felt that they were one piece away from competing in the Eastern Conference and jumped at the opportunity to sign West.

    The 31-year-old power forward received interest from other teams, including the Boston Celtics, but he felt that Indiana was the best situation for him. With Collison, Paul George, Danny Granger, West and Roy Hibbert, the Pacers have plenty of weapons and are an extremely well-rounded team.

    “It was just the best opportunity, that’s the bottom line,” West said. “It was the best opportunity to win. Collectively, this team is talented. It’s young, but it has a good mix of guys – there are guys that have some experience and guys that don’t have much experience but are super talented. Also, obviously, having a seven-foot-two guy that can score around the basket is a key in today’s game.”

    “I think we have the right kind of guys here, unselfish guys who are ultimately trying to do the right thing on and off the court,” West added. “That’s the first part to being a successful basketball team.”


    When asked if he can see himself finishing his career with the Pacers, West doesn’t hesitate.

    “Yeah, I think so,” West said. “This was the best opportunity for me. It gave me the chance to have a good time playing this game again and not have to deal with some of the outside issues that we were dealing with in New Orleans.”


    West has been on some very talented teams, including the 2007-08 Hornets squad that took the San Antonio Spurs to seven games in the Western Conference Semifinals. However, West believes that this team is even deeper, which is important during this condensed season.

    “I think this is the deepest team that I’ve been on,” West said. “Looking at the amount of depth we have on the bench, we’ve got guys at every position that can come in and impact the game every night.”

    While West is still getting acclimated in Indiana, the team has experienced early success. West is averaging 11.8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists, but his biggest contributions have come off the court. He is the second-oldest player on the team, behind Jeff Foster, and he has tried to mentor the young core and become a strong presence in the locker room.

    West has instilled confidence in the group and they now believe they’re going to win every single game. As a result, the Pacers feel they are an elite team that will only continue to improve as they develop chemistry and gain experience.

    “We’re just going to keep competing,” West said. “It’s still early in the season, but we had thirteen of our first nineteen games on the road and we got fourteen wins out of that. We feel good about that.”

    The veteran power forward has made an immediate impact, but the Pacers hope his presence yields the best results come playoff time. At this point in West’s career, he’s focused on winning and feels that he has the pieces around him to do so in Indiana.
    Last edited by docpaul; 01-31-2012 at 05:12 PM.

  2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,325

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    West was a more valuable pick up than I originally thought. Glad to have a leader on the team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  4. #3
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-wes...-to-next-level


    The Indiana Pacers are currently the fifth seed in the Eastern Conference and they have an excellent résumé at the quarter mark of the season. Indiana has impressive road wins against the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics among others, and they have yet to lose two games in a row. After five straight losing seasons, the Pacers have assembled a very talented team that is capable of making a deep playoff run if all goes as planned.

    Who deserves the most credit for Indiana’s success? If you ask the players, they’ll say David West.

    “David is the reason why we’re so high in the standings right now,” Darren Collison told HOOPSWORLD. “He means a lot to this team. He’s been good for us on the offensive end, defensive end and off the court. He has been really positive for our team in all aspects.”

    The Pacers signed West to a two-year deal worth $20 million over the offseason, in an attempt to take the next step from up-and-coming team to legitimate contender. They felt that they were one piece away from competing in the Eastern Conference and jumped at the opportunity to sign West.

    The 31-year-old power forward received interest from other teams, including the Boston Celtics, but he felt that Indiana was the best situation for him. With Collison, Paul George, Danny Granger, West and Roy Hibbert, the Pacers have plenty of weapons and are an extremely well-rounded team.

    “It was just the best opportunity, that’s the bottom line,” West said. “It was the best opportunity to win. Collectively, this team is talented. It’s young, but it has a good mix of guys – there are guys that have some experience and guys that don’t have much experience but are super talented. Also, obviously, having a seven-foot-two guy that can score around the basket is a key in today’s game.”

    “I think we have the right kind of guys here, unselfish guys who are ultimately trying to do the right thing on and off the court,” West added. “That’s the first part to being a successful basketball team.”

    When asked if he can see himself finishing his career with the Pacers, West doesn’t hesitate.

    “Yeah, I think so,” West said. “This was the best opportunity for me. It gave me the chance to have a good time playing this game again and not have to deal with some of the outside issues that we were dealing with in New Orleans.”

    West has been on some very talented teams, including the 2007-08 Hornets squad that took the San Antonio Spurs to seven games in the Western Conference Semifinals. However, West believes that this team is even deeper, which is important during this condensed season.

    “I think this is the deepest team that I’ve been on,” West said. “Looking at the amount of depth we have on the bench, we’ve got guys at every position that can come in and impact the game every night.”

    While West is still getting acclimated in Indiana, the team has experienced early success. West is averaging 11.8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists, but his biggest contributions have come off the court. He is the second-oldest player on the team, behind Jeff Foster, and he has tried to mentor the young core and become a strong presence in the locker room.

    West has instilled confidence in the group and they now believe they’re going to win every single game. As a result, the Pacers feel they are an elite team that will only continue to improve as they develop chemistry and gain experience.

    “We’re just going to keep competing,” West said. “It’s still early in the season, but we had thirteen of our first nineteen games on the road and we got fourteen wins out of that. We feel good about that.”

    The veteran power forward has made an immediate impact, but the Pacers hope his presence yields the best results come playoff time. At this point in West’s career, he’s focused on winning and feels that he has the pieces around him to do so in Indiana.
    Man, sometimes just looking at stats , doesnt tell the real story. I dont think its a coincidence that we are having such a strong year

    LB and company wanted a mature , solid, experienced professional that also had very strong skills

    Mission accomplished
    Sittin on top of the world!

  5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    I really hope we re-sign West. I wonder what price he'll command at that point, though.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    “We’re just going to keep competing,” West said. “It’s still early in the season, but we had thirteen of our first nineteen games on the road and we got fourteen wins out of that. We feel good about that.”
    Um...prognostication?

  9. #6
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,258

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Um...prognostication?

    I'm afraid he just jinxed it.Damn...

  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,051

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    While I do believe the Pacers are better with West than without him, I think this team was a lot closer to being as good as they are now than people give them credit for. HE defiantly brings something that makes them a notch better, but I think the difference is relatively small (i.e. competing for 5-6 seed to competing for the 3-5 seed).

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,821

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I do believe the Pacers are better with West than without him, I think this team was a lot closer to being as good as they are now than people give them credit for. HE defiantly brings something that makes them a notch better, but I think the difference is relatively small (i.e. competing for 5-6 seed to competing for the 3-5 seed).
    David West was a big piece that was a good fit for our needs, however its true that alot more than that has improved about this team. David West has taken over a few times just when things seem to be falling apart, and has been the difference maker in a few games for sure.

    The big thing to remember is this is just the beginning of the next era of Pacers basketball. This season can be great, however this organization is building to be very good for a long time. Over the next couple of years this team is only going to get better.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    I love me some D West.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  15. #10
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,821

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love me some D West.
    and 1

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    Which is why I said I was surprised it took Frank til halftime of the Magic game before they started playing through West. You signed the man for a reason, and that reason is to help Roy and carry the load on some of the tougher matchups like Dwight.

    The Pacers have two legit post threats. When one isn't going, you go to the other.

    And it's also why Nene wouldn't have been a better fit. Can't depend on him to carry your scoring.

  18. #12

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    Its nice to hear him say he could see himself retiring as a pacer. I was afraid that he might have considered us a two year delay to where he really wants to be. Glad I am wrong.

  19. #13
    Member A.B.Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David West was a big piece that was a good fit for our needs, however its true that alot more than that has improved about this team. David West has taken over a few times just when things seem to be falling apart, and has been the difference maker in a few games for sure.

    The big thing to remember is this is just the beginning of the next era of Pacers basketball. This season can be great, however this organization is building to be very good for a long time. Over the next couple of years this team is only going to get better.
    I actually think a big reason why these other people have improved is because of West. Hibbert being the primary example.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to A.B.Hollywood For This Useful Post:


  21. #14

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    David West was an amazing pick up. The part about him thinking he wants to end it here is a good sign!

  22. #15
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    Que the Celtics fans crying....
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  23. #16
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    I would love to see David finish it out here... Absolutely.

    I suspect, barring injury, next year will be similar to this, if not better due to having time to rehabilitate and get in better shape over the summer. He's such a damn good fit. After that year, give him another contract and either let Tyler slowly take over, let David continue to start, or look for an upgrade.

    His game has very little to do with athleticism... It's back to basket moves and his ability to read a defender and react accordingly. As long as health doesn't become an issue, which it's never beet until the ACL, he should be okay for a while.

  24. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,749

    Default Re: West Taking Pacers to Next Level

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I do believe the Pacers are better with West than without him, I think this team was a lot closer to being as good as they are now than people give them credit for. HE defiantly brings something that makes them a notch better, but I think the difference is relatively small (i.e. competing for 5-6 seed to competing for the 3-5 seed).
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David West was a big piece that was a good fit for our needs, however its true that alot more than that has improved about this team. David West has taken over a few times just when things seem to be falling apart, and has been the difference maker in a few games for sure.

    The big thing to remember is this is just the beginning of the next era of Pacers basketball. This season can be great, however this organization is building to be very good for a long time. Over the next couple of years this team is only going to get better.
    Don't under estimate the impact a guy like West has OFF the court. His leadership in the locker room, and just how to conduct yourself as a pro is just as important to this team as his impact on the floor.

  25. #18
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,254

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    I expected David West to establish himself as the obvious starter at PF...but not really this obvious. He's at an entirely different level than Hans. I did have hopes that Hans would compete for that role, but it's not even remotely close. Early on, it actually was close and I thought Tyler had a slight edge, but since the first couple weeks of the season it has been all West. I believe he and George Hill are almost the entire reason we are so far above .500.

  26. #19
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,826
    Mood

    Default Re: Impact of West on his team and long-term interest in the team...

    When DWest gets back to 100% (physically) and starts hitting his J like he did in NOH....You havn't seen anything yet if you hadn't seen him play before coming here.

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 3
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  3. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #2 - Miami
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  5. The PD NBA Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •