Thread: Bill Simmons' 1st Half NBA Review

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bill Simmons' 1st Half NBA Review

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7519970/time-change

It's too long to quote the whole thing, and he makes a lot of other interesting observations. But I love his idea for next season's schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmons
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

You're not going to believe this, but I spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much time trying to figure out something that will never actually happen. And here's the reality: It would be too radical for the NBA to launch on Christmas every year. At least right away. Which is why I'm offering the following plan

• Starting next season, the NBA launches six days after Black Friday (this year: November 30, 2012) with a Thursday-night doubleheader on TNT. That way, the NBA avoids the baseball playoffs, college football's regular season and 75 percent of the NFL's regular season, drawing maximum eyeballs for opening week and using that next month to build up the storylines for Christmas Day.

• We play a 78-game regular season over the next 24 weeks, ending in mid-May (for 2012-13: Tuesday, May 14).

• To make up the revenue from those lost games, we launch my Entertaining as Hell Tournament the top seven seeds in each conference make the playoffs, then the other 16 teams play a single-elimination tournament to "win" the no. 8 seeds. This would discourage tanking for lottery picks, reward late-bloomer teams and generate extra interest because, again, this tournament would be entertaining as hell. All 14 games would be televised eight in Round 1, four in Round 2, then a doubleheader final at Madison Square Garden to decide the no. 8 seeds over a week as the other 14 playoff teams regrouped and rested up.

• The EAH tournament runs for eight days (for 2012-13: May 16 through May 22), with the actual NBA playoffs starting on Saturday like always only this time, it launches on Memorial Day weekend (for 2012-13: May 26).

• The playoffs run for eight-plus weeks through June and July, allowing the NBA to own the second half of June, July Fourth weekend and that super-dead sports week during baseball's All-Star break. Its only competition over that time: midseason baseball, Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, the Stanley Cup finals and summer movies.

• The Finals finishes one week after mid-July (for 2012-13: Game 7 of the Finals would be Tuesday, July 24); the NBA draft happens the following Tuesday (for 2012-13: July 31); then the free agent signing period kicks off one week later (for 2012-13: August 7).

Would the NBA yes, the same league that's been notoriously afraid to take ANY chances over the past decade or so ever shake things up that drastically? Probably not, although I wouldn't be shocked if they moved 2012's opening night to mid-November, then stretched the 2013 Finals through June if only to give the league's superstars two extra weeks of rest after subjecting them to a shortened schedule and the Olympics just a month later. Regardless, that Christmas launch gave the 2011-12 season a little extra juice; it shouldn't be considered a fluke.

Of course, that wasn't the only reason this season has been so compelling. What are some of the other factors? You'll have to wait until Part 2 (coming Tuesday).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill Simmons' 1st Half NBA Review

I read this yesterday, and my first inclination is to tell Simmons that the NBA's fiscal year goes from July1-June 30. They have to have the season done by June 30 for the league's records to be closed and reporting to be done, etc. I know they could move the date, but that would be a very big undertaking, but if the benefits outweighed the work to make that possible, they could do it, but there's a reason you hardly ever see companies change their fiscal year.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

i like the idea...but it won't happen

Sports Logo

So, you could make the Playoffs as the 8th seed while still getting a lottery pick?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    So, you could make the Playoffs as the 8th seed while still getting a lottery pick?
    only nonplayoff teams are included in the draft lottery. the playoff team with the worst record gets the 15th pick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love the idea of a play-in for the #8 seed.

I have no problem starting on Christmas day or sometime just before then, but I would rather (and since this is all fantasy anyway) teams play a 60 game schedule - start and finish it whenever you want, but how long would it take to play a 60 game schedule and no team ever plays any back to back games. That is what I would be in favor of. (also would like the schedule to be more consistant so fans know the Pacers play every Friday night no matter what - for example)

The quality of play would skyrocket

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I have no problem starting on Christmas day or sometime just before then, but I would rather (and since this is all fantasy anyway) teams play a 60 game schedule - start and finish it whenever you want, but how long would it take to play a 60 game schedule and no team ever plays any back to back games. That is what I would be in favor of. (also would like the schedule to be more consistant so fans know the Pacers play every Friday night no matter what - for example)

The quality of play would skyrocket
    Agreed, but it won't happen because of $$$.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Please do not confuse Bill Simmon's ability to write well with his ability to come up with good ideas. He can take any idea and make it sound like a good idea with this writing.

This idea is a stupid one.

Let me ask you, when was the last time you watched the play in game for the NCAA's. That is not a major TV draw.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Please do not confuse Bill Simmon's ability to write well with his ability to come up with good ideas. He can take any idea and make it sound like a good idea with this writing.

Let me ask you, when was the last time you watched the play in game for the NCAA's. That is not a major TV draw.
    Who has the bigger following:

A mediocre NBA team or the winner of the SWAC?

Let me ask you, is an apple better than an orange?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

WTF are you talking about?? The line for Wizards-Warriors would be around the block, and tickets to Kings-Bucks would be unobtainable.
    (do any of my posts really require green at this point, its the default color by definition)

I love that he calls it the EAH tourney, but that it would feature nearly every non-entertaining team playing the lowest quality of the sport imaginable at the professional level.

And teams won't tank? Of course they would tank. They'd just keep tanking for that "entertaining" one game tourney loss and get on with winning the draft lottery.

Bill's major mistake here is to think that you can somehow manage out the dull portion of a season. You can't. You need the CONTRAST. What is March without NCAA December? Heck, what is the conference season without the games before conference play?

The NCAA doesn't just say "why not skip all the boring crap and just go right to the tourney, with 10 other mini-tourneys to see who gets in that tourney, and...", or actually they do, it's call the boring parts of the season.

June baseball leads to Sept baseball, just like pre-Thanksgiving NFL leads to post-Thanksgiving NFL.

It reminds me of grumpy old men or anyone that doesn't understand basketball that like to say "the NBA is only interesting for the final 2 minutes"...and they usually don't say this after a games like the last 2 IND vs ORL games.

Without the build-up there is no such thing as an exciting finish.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

A mediocre NBA team or the winner of the SWAC?
    Why don't we ask the 5,000 home town fans even willing to show up to a late-season NBA game for a bad team. I bet a SWAC team can pull 5000 fans to a team good enough to be in the play-in game at least.

At best the NBA version would be a first year curiosity and then people would realize what Simmons had tricked them into watching. There is a reason people like the playoffs - it involves GOOD teams playing GOOD basketball usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    WTF are you talking about?? The line for Wizards-Warriors would be around the block, and tickets to Kings-Bucks would be unobtainable.
    (do any of my posts really require green at this point, its the default color by definition)
    Just to clarify, you wouldn't have any East vs. West games in the EAH tournament. All the remaining East teams would play each other for the East's 8 seed, and ditto for the West. I realize this has nothing to do with the point you were making, but thought I'd point that out anyway.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Why don't we ask the 5,000 home town fans even willing to show up to a late-season NBA game for a bad team. I bet a SWAC team can pull 5000 fans to a team good enough to be in the play-in game at least.

At best the NBA version would be a first year curiosity and then people would realize what Simmons had tricked them into watching. There is a reason people like the playoffs - it involves GOOD teams playing GOOD basketball usually.
    Sure in the East it would be bad teams. But look at the West. There are always some really good teams fighting for the 8th spot. Right now the Lakers, Houston, San Antonio, Portland and Memphis are all right around the 8th spot. A play in game would pull in a good draw there.

Something I would like to see is fewer interconference games, and a higher percentage of divisional games. Make an effort to create rich rivalries within divisions. Just look at most of the big NBA rivalries Lakers-Celtics or Pacers-Knicks in the 90s. They tend to be just kind of random, and most are short lived. I would like to see rivalries survive down years,and that isn't gong to happen with the current scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Something I would like to see is fewer interconference games, and a higher percentage of divisional games. Make an effort to create rich rivalries within divisions. Just look at most of the big NBA rivalries Lakers-Celtics or Pacers-Knicks in the 90s. They tend to be just kind of random, and most are short lived. I would like to see rivalries survive down years,and that isn't gong to happen with the current scheduling.

I don't think there is anyway to build NBA rivalries except through playoff games. I don't care if the Pacers play the Pistons 15 times a season that won't build anything until they meet each other in the playoffs. The only reason there is a little bit of a rivalry right now between the Pacers and the Bulls (more so from the Pacers end of things) is because of last years playoffs. The fact that Chicago and Indy are 3 hours apart, I don't think helps the rivalry. Pacers and Knicks were hot because of the playoffs

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I don't see how this would discourage tanking. You're basically saying they have a 1/16 chance to make the playoffs. Teams would still probably choose the draft pick.