Thread: Going to the game tonight

Default Going to the game tonight

My first game of the year!!! (unfortunetly, i'll be cheering for the visiting team)

Hopefully I can tell you what I saw and noticed.

Also looking forward to meeting Jay@section222
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: Going to the game tonight

Hey all...just got back from the game...here are some thoughts

First off, have to thank Jay@section222 for the tickets. Real smart and knowledgable guy, and real fun to talk to.

VERY, VERY impressed with the way we played tonight. Everyone played well.

JO was once again very good, and I am more impressed seeing him in person than I was before. I don't think he shot enought tonight, but still good game.

Artest is amazing. Man is he good. At everything.

Bender looked terrible. He never went into the post, and didn't do well when he was there.

I like fred jones even more, and i LOVED the dunks.

Officiating was soso, a few blown calls.

Tinsley shot less tonight, but well

Cro was shooting well, and makes me wonder why he isn't in more than he is

Eddy curry played real well tonight, but the guy is a crybaby.

Nothing else from hear. Just excited that we won.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Bender looked terrible. He never went into the post, and didn't do well when he was there.
    Funny, my lasting memory of Bender tonight was when he DID go in the post, missed the shot, but grabbed the board surrounded by 3 Bulls and put it back up to draw the foul.

I agree overall he was bad, though.

Funny, my lasting memory of Bender tonight was when he DID go in the post, missed the shot, but grabbed the board surrounded by 3 Bulls and put it back up to draw the foul.

That was the only good thing I remember about it. But of course, the guys who were on D were scrubs, so there isn't any value in it.

Cro was shooting well, and makes me wonder why he isn't in more than he is
    Watch the New York game again. He's still the definition of a streak shooter, he was just rolling tonight.
    Well, no one played well that day, so you cant just blame him. But with the time, he has played consistantly.

Streak shooter for sure. But there is more to basketball than shooting.

I've never seen Austin go in & dog it on defense or rebounding.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Streak shooter for sure. But there is more to basketball than shooting.

I've never seen Austin go in & dog it on defense or rebounding.
    Not this year maybe. But after his contract year, he dogged it for a season and a half. It wasn't just his terrible turnover numbers and poor shooting that sat him on the pine. He stopped doing what made him successful in the first place: hustle.

I *KNOW* we all remember that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I thought I saw him hustle pretty well tonight...though that might be a consequence of more playing time, but still ok.

There was a play in the second quarter that really impressed me about Artest.

Fastbreak situation, Tinsley threw the ball ahead and I thought it was going out of bounds, but Artest running full speed not only caught the ball but was able to lay the ball in. My first thought was that it was Freddie because I did not think anyone else had the athleticism to make that play, but it was Ronnie.

When Ron goes to the basket strong it takes two or three guys to stop him and even then he often draws a foul. The only times he gets into trouble is when a guard comes down and doubles him and goes for the steal as Ronnie is dribbling.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There was a play in the second quarter that really impressed me about Artest.
    Now that's a suprise.

Fastbreak situation, Tinsley threw the ball ahead and I thought it was going out of bounds, but Artest running full speed not only caught the ball but was able to lay the ball in. My first thought was that it was Freddie because I did not think anyone else had the athleticism to make that play, but it was Ronnie.
    That play was right in front where Sauveness and I were sitting. I really thought there was no way Artest could twist his body around to attempt that shot while running full speed out of bounds behind the basket. You're right, it was very impressive, and brought ooohs and aaahs from the UC crowd. Now I want to pick on your boy Artest for just a second, I think he needs to improve his rebounding a little bit. He does everything else at such a high level for a SF, but with his size and strength, I'd like to see him get up to an average of 6 or 7 rpg.

Another thought on the game:
    The way JO's presence dominates a road game is essential to the Pacers success. I'm not sure we give him enough credit for the consistent presence he brings to the center position. Yeah, Curry was hot with his hookshot early, but he flamed out as the game progressed. JO got better with every single possession. I don't think his "presence" is something that's captured on TV. For those of you that go to a lot of home games, in my opinion JO raises his game significantly for road games, and I'd encourage everyone to take a road trip some weekend to see him play as a visitor (and listen to the home team's fans reactions to the way he dominates the paint at both ends of the court.) I'm starting to think about swinging over to Detroit for the game on April 4 to watch that clash of the titans!

And although I hate giving him any credit, its true: Pollard is finally playing like a tenth-man should play. I hope he can keep it up and I've almost reached the point where I'm neutral as to whether we should trade him or not. Pollard took the only bad shot of the night, and fortunately he hit it just as I detonated. ed:

Sauveness, your summary was pretty thorough. I enjoyed meeting you last night... it was fun to sit at the game with another enthusiastic Pacers fan. We eventually got the guy sitting in front of us to yell, "Boom, Baby!", so I thought that was cool, too.

The only point I'd disagree with is the officiating - I though we got several calls that you don't expect to get on the road. I'd rank last night's officiating as good, even though Blaine Reichelt was the "lead official" and that's a scary thought.

Foster played his best game in weeks last night.

Gotta run...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

Officiating certainly did not hurt the Pacers last night. If anything it seemed like we got the "home" calls. Maybe its because we were the team in white and they were confused.

UB that was a great play by Artest I was suprised he hit that.

On another note. I thought it was interesting to see that the other Pacers (well at least Tins) calls Reggie "Killer". Did anyone else catch that?

There was a play where Reggie had stollen the ball and brought it up court and passed it to Tins in the lane Tins got fouled the under the basket camera was on Tins and as he was getting up He turned and said good pass Killer.

As far as officiating, it wasnt all that bad, but there were some stuff both ways...not a real big deal, happens all the time

As far as that artest play, I was super impressed with that, and I really did not think that he would make it. Props to him.

Artest for just a second, I think he needs to improve his rebounding a little bit. He does everything else at such a high level for a SF, but with his size and strength, I'd like to see him get up to an average of 6 or 7 rpg.

Jay I can't disagree, but I was thinking about this last night while watching the game and Ronnie does a great job of blocking out so at least his man does not get the rebounds. Pacers overall do an outstanding job blocking out, except for J.O.

Also keep in mind that Rick wants his small forwards to get back on defense and not even go for offensive rebs

On another note. I thought it was interesting to see that the other Pacers (well at least Tins) calls Reggie "Killer". Did anyone else catch that?

There was a play where Reggie had stollen the ball and brought it up court and passed it to Tins in the lane Tins got fouled the under the basket camera was on Tins and as he was getting up He turned and said good pass Killer.
    I heard that same thing.

AL takes credit for giving Reggie that nickname a few years ago

Sports Logo

Really was Al arround for the Knicks/Pacers rivalry in 95?

I thought Spike Lee called him that. I know I have heard Spike call him that in the past.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was the only good thing I remember about it. But of course, the guys who were on D were scrubs, so there isn't any value in it.

This is a technicality, but to me its different for a guy to face the basket and drive into the paint than to play in the post. To me, playing in the post generally means with one's back to the basket. Yes Bender penetrated on that play, and it was nice that he attacked the basket instead of firing up a three, and I liked his aggressiveness for the rebound. But it didn't meet my definition of a post play.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Really was Al arround for the Knicks/Pacers rivalry in 95?

I thought Spike Lee called him that. I know I have heard Spike call him that in the past.
    I'd never heard him called that in the 90's. I've always heard that after Al got here, he started calling him "Killa Miller"

I'm starting to think about swinging over to Detroit for the game on April 4 to watch that clash of the titans!...
    Sounds like a good site for the first annual PD road trip......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731